PDA

View Full Version : Call of duty 4.

Mr. MacBook
May 6, 2007, 08:27 PM
I'm just wondering if there are any call of duty fans out there.

I've played(and beaten) every single call of duty, from first PC to call of duty 2/bigredone/finesthour and united offensive expansion pack.

Call of duty 4, apparently, was confirmed to be set in a modern combat zone.

I think it's ok, even though the World War 2 Setting is nice, but it was getting a bit stale. Are you guys happy with the change?

photoGrant
May 6, 2007, 09:06 PM
I've dabbled in a few FPS games, and I welcome modern combat in them a bit more than historic, or futuristic. Adds more of a sense of realism in my eyes.

I welcomed battlefield 2 with open arms, but as soon as it hit futuristic, I leaned away.

COD.4. - If set in modern times, should be pretty good.

I hope they just don't milk the whole Iraq business.

RaMaz
May 6, 2007, 10:22 PM
Call Of Duty 4 looks sweet, but i do like the WW2 Feel to the games,

iHerzeleid
May 6, 2007, 10:26 PM
I don't think it's a good idea branching the series out like that.

j2thav
May 9, 2007, 11:01 PM
Right now I'm pretty into the COD2 multiplayer. I saw the trailer for COD4, and it looks amazing. I just hope they don't keep us Mac people waiting for too long after the PC release :rolleyes:

whooleytoo
May 10, 2007, 05:05 AM
I'd love to try an alternate historical era instead. WWI, or any one of dozens of colonial era wars.

There already are quite a few modern-day shooters, I'm not sure that would be less 'stale' than WWII.

wilburdl
May 26, 2007, 01:30 PM
Wish someone would focus on the Vietnam/Korean Wars. Heck Civil war or gulf war would work too. There are a number of different eras they could choose from.

skinnylegs
May 26, 2007, 01:32 PM
I *love* the CoD series. I played 1 and 2 on the PC and bought an Xbox 360 because 3 is console only. So yeah.....I'm really looking forward to CoD4. That said, I'd prefer it not be modern combat.

Counterfit
May 26, 2007, 03:52 PM
I don't think the (American) Civil War would work all that well as a FPS-type game. The Spanish Civil War probably would though. WWI would be the worst though. "Everybody over the trench!" "Aw man, we all died" repeat ad nauseum.

iLoveMyMBP
May 26, 2007, 05:55 PM
I played the Civil War game that the History Channel released for xbox360 and I thought it was decent. I'd say Age of Empires 3 is the best though if you like that kinda stragity gaming

JPT
May 26, 2007, 06:18 PM
I actually wish if was still WWII :P I just like the environment a lot better. But who knows. It might actually beat the WWII COD games :P

MacsRgr8
May 28, 2007, 05:44 PM
I'd love to try an alternate historical era instead. WWI, or any one of dozens of colonial era wars.

There already are quite a few modern-day shooters, I'm not sure that would be less 'stale' than WWII.

A WWI FPS would be an interesting idea!

Part of the fun of playing these WWII shooters is that you get some impression of the real horrors of the war. IMHO playing games like the MOH series and COD series is entertaining, but also educational. At the very least, playing these FPS should sparkle interest in the 1939-1945 era.

A COD-like game which would set the stage in 1914-1918 could do the same trick. Imagine yourself "going over the top"...

acornc
Jul 5, 2007, 04:22 AM
I have a question……I'm new to COD 2. Right now I am in the single player mode as a veteran. My question: How do I find someplace on the internet to play in the multi-player mode? I have tried several times, but all I get is somewhere in Europe trying to get a flag, and if that's not enough I am the only one playing the game!

Any suggestions?:)

AaronE
Jul 5, 2007, 09:44 AM
I play Call of Duty 2 and 3 for the 360. 2 is by far made better though. The online for 3 is best though because its 24 player and has medics.s

sarcosis
Jul 5, 2007, 09:57 AM
I'm very excited for COD 4. I have the 1st on on PC and have played the rest in one form or another. I always enjoyed how it brought you into the game, especially with a 5.1 system. You can hear everything and you feel more in the game. In any case, I will prolly rent this for the 360. I'm running out of cash for this stuff...ggrrr....

FriarTuck
Jul 5, 2007, 10:13 AM
I have a question……I'm new to COD 2. Right now I am in the single player mode as a veteran. My question: How do I find someplace on the internet to play in the multi-player mode? I have tried several times, but all I get is somewhere in Europe trying to get a flag, and if that's not enough I am the only one playing the game!

Any suggestions?:)

If you're only getting one server to show up something is wrong. There are usually more than a hundred to choose from, at least.

Check your server filters when the server list page comes up -- current settings may be filtering everything out such that only one satisfies all of them.

skierdude
Jul 5, 2007, 05:05 PM
I'm just wondering if there are any call of duty fans out there.

I've played(and beaten) every single call of duty, from first PC to call of duty 2/bigredone/finesthour and united offensive expansion pack.

Call of duty 4, apparently, was confirmed to be set in a modern combat zone.

I think it's ok, even though the World War 2 Setting is nice, but it was getting a bit stale. Are you guys happy with the change?

your right it is getting stale:( . they should move on to something not as used often as WWII. I would recommend something more interesting like the Vietnam war.:D

illustratorDavi
Jul 5, 2007, 05:30 PM
I play COD 2 and battlefield 1942. Would like to see the best of both put together - the gameplay and graphics of cod 2 and the jeeps, planes, boats of bf1942.

Now that would be cool !

DoFoT9
Jul 5, 2007, 05:50 PM
I don't think it's a good idea branching the series out like that.

no niether do i, especially when theyre so close to each other, cod3 wasnt out that long ago (even tho its xbox). its confusing tho all the different numbers.. ARGH im to blonde

Right now I'm pretty into the COD2 multiplayer. I saw the trailer for COD4, and it looks amazing. I just hope they don't keep us Mac people waiting for too long after the PC release :rolleyes:

is cod made by EB?? oh no wait its by activision. damn cauz EB is bringing them out at the same time and all.. that would be good :) i reeally like the graphics of it, hope u dont need a too powerful machine to play it tho

Preclaro_tipo
Sep 12, 2007, 01:40 PM
I've dabbled in a few FPS games, and I welcome modern combat in them a bit more than historic, or futuristic. Adds more of a sense of realism in my eyes.

I welcomed battlefield 2 with open arms, but as soon as it hit futuristic, I leaned away.

COD.4. - If set in modern times, should be pretty good.

I hope they just don't milk the whole Iraq business.

Big BF2 fan here, I really love BF2 and ALSO didn't care for BF2142 (the one that went futuristic). I'd consider myself a fan of CoD, it has always seemed like a very quality and well made game. I did prefer Metal of Honor over CoD in the online multiplayer mode though.

What I am most looking forward to is a BF2 replacement that is cross-platform. I use Macs for work (and fun), so I really don't want to continue dual booting which is my current solution to playing BF2 on my iMac. It feels dumb to say, but BF2 is my only reason I have bootcamp/windows xp setup.

I do like the rag-doll in BF2 and it doesn't seem like CoD has that. But BF2 doesn't support widescreen (it stretches/squishes). And I am sure CoD will have that covered and it will probably be pretty playable from the beginning, BF2 required SO many huge patches to get it "right"; it was so buggy in Version 1.

Please apple, update at least one graphic option on the Mac Pro to Nvidia 8800!!!!!!!

peeaanuut
Sep 12, 2007, 02:38 PM
I had just switched to a mac from PC and have been wondering about the gaming experience. I was previously using a 2100+ athalon with 1 gig of ram and a 512mb AGP8x Ge-Force card. I now have the 1.83 C2D mini. Will the gaming experince improve much?

I am concidering piecing together another PC just for games from random stuff I have and am wondering if it is worth it. I will probably end up being a 2ghz amp with a gig of ram. Not sure on the video card. I dont need the latest and greatest and the CoD, MoH and C&C Renegade looked great on my last PC. I love the WW2 shooters and oddly enough, I cannot play FPS on a console so I am stuck with a compute for that.

I am looking foward to CoD4 and hope the experience on the Mac will be satisfying.

Thoughts?

gamerz
Sep 12, 2007, 05:01 PM
I was one of the lucky ones to be able to play the Call of Duty 4 beta... It rocks. The graphics aren't as great as I thought they would be, but the gameplay is amazingly balanced
, and just fun.

Mackilroy
Sep 13, 2007, 12:26 AM
I'm in the beta. If this is like the Halo 3 beta, then the graphics aren't final, but they're very atmospheric and cool anyways. :)

irishgrizzly
Sep 13, 2007, 03:46 AM
I just started playing the European beta last night. Wow, I'm very impressed! It has the pacing and excitement of CoD2 with the deep tactics and polish of Rainbow6:LA. I might just skip Halo and get this. As the multiplayer in halo never grabbed me the way CoD did.

bembol
Sep 13, 2007, 04:24 PM
It's the only FPS I play. COD2 (XBOX 360) was my favorite!

So this will come out for Mac right? I would love to see how it plays on my new 24" 2.4GHz. :cool:

Mackilroy
Sep 13, 2007, 07:52 PM
of Rainbow6:LA.
When did Rainbow Six: Los Angeles come out? :confused::eek::D

Just kidding, I know you mean Las Vegas. :p

SycomMiller
Oct 16, 2007, 03:47 AM
I have played cod 1 and 2 on both mac and pc. I think it will be interesting to play in modern warfare but i think they still could have stayed with the WWII theme, but just change up the battles becasue they are coming repetative. I still cant wait to play cod 4 becuase it looks good but staying with the WWII theme would have been nice. I really hope they come out with a mac version really soon.:apple:

jamesi
Oct 16, 2007, 04:06 AM
honestly Id rather the call of duty series be closed and they just call COD:4 something else entirely b/c it looks to be an entirely different game. i thought the whole concept of "duty" was vested more so in a glorified war like WW2 than any modern conflicts.

apart from that im happy with the new setting, i already had to deal with WW2 nostalgia withdrawals with switching from BF1942 to BF 2142. but after a few games i loved it and i know COD:4 will be a great single player experience

jamesi
Oct 16, 2007, 04:09 AM
one more thing, wouldnt most ppl agree the WW2 genre is over polished? i played MOH: airborne recently and while it looked great and was really fun, i felt like id already played the whole game before. maybe the genre just needs a lil nap...

skinnylegs
Oct 23, 2007, 05:29 PM
Love the CoD games and, like yourself, I've played them all. I'm wondering how CoD4 will play on the new 24" iMac?

matty49
Oct 23, 2007, 09:44 PM
Yep big call of duty fan here, played all the way through cod1 to cod2 and uo now waiting for cod4. Looking forward to it. Played the demo and looks good.

HaGG
Oct 25, 2007, 06:04 PM
I'm really looking forward to the game, as a Battlefield 2 Infantry fan COD4 really appeals to me and the demo is great.

Love the CoD games and, like yourself, I've played them all. I'm wondering how CoD4 will play on the new 24" iMac?

There's a video of the demo on youtube, seem's to run really well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f8hUxhqYb3o

JustAMac
Oct 27, 2007, 09:15 AM
charlieoscardelta.com for CoD4 discussion

joepunk
Oct 27, 2007, 09:33 AM
How about if they combined the weapons from several different wars (from civil war/western repeaters, WW1, WW2, modern machine guns to some future laser guns) into a war that has dragged on for a couple of centuries.

A landscape/war similar to a certain Doctor Who episode Genesis of the Daleks, iirc.

Vigilante
Oct 27, 2007, 11:14 AM
How about if they combined the weapons from several different wars (from civil war/western repeaters, WW1, WW2, modern machine guns to some future laser guns) into a war that has dragged on for a couple of centuries.
So wouldn't be a Call of Duty game. Get a PS3, I think there's a Fall of Man game that is similar to that.

I have beated the CoD4 Demo a few times on all four difficulties. I love the game, I'm just saddened that they give you the shotgun after every close range enemy is already dead. :( That's always one of my favorite guns.

gamerz
Oct 28, 2007, 01:39 PM
I think some of the unlockables are old weapons from the past Call of Duty games, such as the mp40, I have heard a rumour that you can unlock that.

Hmac
Oct 28, 2007, 01:55 PM
If you're only getting one server to show up something is wrong. There are usually more than a hundred to choose from, at least.

Check your server filters when the server list page comes up -- current settings may be filtering everything out such that only one satisfies all of them.

Yes, close to 1000 multiplayer servers...CTF, Team deathmatch, deathmatch, zombie, and a very wide variety of mods like AWE, rifles only etc etc.

Click on the Call of Duty 2 Multiplayer icon in your COD2 folder, then click "Join Game". Make sure the Source at the top of the window is set to Internet.

holybatfart
Oct 28, 2007, 07:39 PM
I love the game, I'm just saddened that they give you the shotgun after every close range enemy is already dead. :( That's always one of my favorite guns.I found it on the ground in the very beginning.

Is there any word if Aspyr will port this title?

dunc85
Oct 31, 2007, 06:06 PM
Has anyone tried to demo for COD4 in Boot Camp?

It seems to run fine, but the sound seems slightly messed up. While my weapon sounds fine, the weapons of the AI seem quieter or muffled like they've got silencers on.

I don't think its meant to be like that, but I'm not sure. It could be me as I've not updated my Windows/BC drivers for ages.

jrm16311
Nov 4, 2007, 10:16 AM
Are they bringing back Base Assault?

Does anybody know if COD 4 will have a multiplayer game mode similar to that from CODUO? In my opinion, this wast he best MP game mode and to this day I still played online. I was disappointed that subsequent COD releases did not have this game mode.

mgyqmb
Nov 5, 2007, 01:09 PM
On my 1.83 Core Duo with 2gb RAM and 128Mb x1600 the demo is unrunnable in bootcamp except at 640x480 with all graphics settings turned down.

Promptly uinstalled, picked up Medieval 2: Total War. I'll save CoD for PS3.

baz-ireland
Nov 5, 2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I saw the trailer for COD 4 and was pretty impressed. I bought an xbox 360 last xmas on the strength of COD 3, and it was amazing to play online, what with the xbox's headset etc. I've just bought myself a new iMac 24" 2.8ghz 2gb RAM aluminum Desktop, I've bought COD 2 for it and it works just sweet on the iMac (which is running Leopard) although it does seem a step backwards from the COD 3 I played on the xbox, therefore I'd love to see COD 4 released soon for the Mac as many others would too!! I did also like the MOH series of games too. Guess us Northern Irish like our war games, God knows we've been in one long enough!!

bAz Belfast, Northern Ireland.:eek:

stuff99
Nov 5, 2007, 06:13 PM
Im actually suprised the new iMacs can run cod4 on windows....i keep hearing mixed things about the video card

jessehughes44
Nov 7, 2007, 01:39 AM
With Mac gaining marketshare, you'd think the software guys would wake up and push for games like COD 3 and 4. At least for karma's sake throw us a bone... soon. - Help.

Hmac
Nov 7, 2007, 08:17 PM
On my 1.83 Core Duo with 2gb RAM and 128Mb x1600 the demo is unrunnable in bootcamp except at 640x480 with all graphics settings turned down.

Promptly uinstalled, picked up Medieval 2: Total War. I'll save CoD for PS3.

On my 3 ghz 4-core, the full version just flies with all the graphics at max, at 1280x1024 on my 30"ACD. Really a great game, but boy do I suck at it. Modern warfare is apparantly a whole different ballgame than WWII. The multiplayer game is leveled - weapons and capabiities added as you gain in rank.

The graphics will bring a little tear to your eyes. Amazing.

Dusty2455432
Nov 13, 2007, 05:20 PM
geez me neither ive been waiting for over 2 months counting down the days until it came out

timcaswell
Feb 21, 2008, 07:47 PM
dunno if this is a stupid question, but how did you get in the beta to try COD4?

dukebound85
Feb 21, 2008, 07:57 PM
dunno if this is a stupid question, but how did you get in the beta to try COD4?

its out for pc so you can use it in bootcamp so no beta

meh
Feb 27, 2008, 04:24 PM
Running smooth on my iMac with bootcamp.
I know it's not a gaming rig, but the performance is still pretty damn good.

Consultant
Feb 27, 2008, 05:00 PM
With Mac gaining marketshare, you'd think the software guys would wake up and push for games like COD 3 and 4. At least for karma's sake throw us a bone... soon. - Help.

COD3 was not released for the PC.

If you like to buy the mac versions, you can always try out the PC version first, and wait to buy the mac version. If more people buy the mac version, then they might do port faster...

Consultant
Feb 27, 2008, 05:06 PM
Im actually suprised the new iMacs can run cod4 on windows....i keep hearing mixed things about the video card

Those who want high res with max settings won't be happy in anything but a gaming desktop pc, of which the imac is not marketed as one.

But all current games will play at a decent frame rate at a decent quality, which works for many people.

barefeats.com has iMac video card gaming benchmarks along with other benchmarks.

kflakes15
Feb 28, 2008, 05:54 PM
COD 4 has to be one of the best shooters ever. The only thing i wish it had was a co-op campaign mode

Silver-Fox
Feb 28, 2008, 05:56 PM
COD 4 has to be one of the best shooters ever. The only thing i wish it had was a co-op campaign mode

Yeah i love this game online mode is brilliant

ChrisN
Feb 29, 2008, 04:46 PM
I played every cod including the ones on the consoles, right now I keep on playing uo on my mac and I used to play cod 4 on my 360 (i know sorry). On cod 4 I beat every level but one on veteran(disc was so scratched up it wouldnt read) So i like that, very good game A+++.

ChrisN

MacDude72
Mar 28, 2008, 05:22 PM
http://www.macworld.com/article/131578/2008/01/cod4.html
http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/88

Specs: TBD

I wonder if my Dual 2.0GHz G5 with NVidia Ultra6800 will handle this...

mcg5191
Oct 29, 2009, 03:37 PM
i have call of duty 4 on my mac but everytime i want to join a group online it says key code in effect try again later. what does this mean. i just want to play online haha

itouch rulz
Oct 29, 2009, 05:15 PM
i have call of duty 4 on my mac but everytime i want to join a group online it says key code in effect try again later. what does this mean. i just want to play online haha

Go buy a legit copy of the game.

I'm guessing you downloaded the version you are playing and when you try to play multi player someone else (like one of the 10,000 other people that downloaded it) are using the same key code.

Buy it

Jason Beck
Oct 29, 2009, 05:19 PM
They do have "Darkest of Days" on 360. It is a civil war fps, weelll part of it is.

nikdevid
Nov 12, 2009, 12:58 AM
I bought this game and its excellent port. Hugely improve controls in this game. It is a best version then any other version with high graphics. It is really fantastic game. I think every body should play this game if they like to play game. I really enjoyed it.

DoFoT9
Nov 12, 2009, 01:03 AM
can anybody by any chance get the FPS, AA settings, resolution etc for the 4850 with the new imac 27" ? would be interesting to see.

Jomskylark
Nov 14, 2009, 05:24 PM
I own the GMA950 video card, so I'm not compatible with COD4. What would happen if I tried to play COD4 on my Mac? Would it not run, or just be laggy?

Jomskylark
Nov 21, 2009, 04:01 PM
Sorry, but I read somewhere that it is possible... I need to check this. Is it possible to run on the older video card? Is it to the point where it's so bad it's unplayable? Is there some sort of low resolution setting I can use?

Thank you!

Jomskylark
Nov 23, 2009, 04:46 PM
Is there a good amount of players in COD 2? On a normal weekday?

MinorBidoh
Nov 26, 2009, 12:05 AM
Is there a good amount of players in COD 2? On a normal weekday?

oooh yes. COD2 still has a rather large fanbase. The online play is still popular 24/7 although I think its slowly turning into the 'Doom' of the computer world, a la 1995ish...

jamin100
Nov 26, 2009, 02:17 AM
Just a little tip for people.

IF you can aquire a mac installation of COD4 the keycode from the PC version will work for online play.

I say this because, getting a 2nd hand copy of COD4 for the mac will still cost £30+ on eBay whereas the PC version sells for around £10

psxtreme
Nov 26, 2009, 09:25 AM
I just paid $25 + Tax the other day to get Call of Duty 4 online from aspyr/gameagent. Use the coupon codes COD415 ($15 off CoD 4) and ASPYRTHANKS ($15 off any purchase) at checkout.

Consultant
Nov 26, 2009, 05:23 PM
Just played COD Modern Warfare 2.

COD 4 MW1 has a more coherent story.
COD MW2 is non-stop action, but the story is too fragmented and hard to keep track.

Both fun though. Actually enjoy all of the COD series.