PDA

View Full Version : 18,000 Mexicans get naked

angelneo
May 7, 2007, 02:09 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18522292/?GT1=9951

Something to lighten the day. Will you guys actually do this?

zephead
May 7, 2007, 02:17 AM
Ehh, I don't think I'd actually do that. :p

Mexicans are not used to showing skin. *snip* ...women tend not to put on miniskirts because of unwanted whistles and stares.

That's because Mexican women are so beautifully put together that the men wouldn't be able to control themselves if the women were to wear mini-skirts. That's how good they look, believe me, I live in Southern California. ;) :p

Abstract
May 7, 2007, 06:48 AM
^^^They are?

Anyway, I'd do it. Who cares. There would be so many naked people, surely nobody would look at you.

mad jew
May 7, 2007, 07:29 AM
I'm keen. In fact, I'm so keen I'm gonna rock up to work tomorrow with no clothes on and just pretend I thought I was Mexican.

zim
May 7, 2007, 07:32 AM
About time that he broke his last record.

Another article discussing him a bit more: Tunick's next nude photo shoot set for Mexican square (http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/04/30/tunick-mexico-square.html?ref=rss).

synth3tik
May 7, 2007, 07:33 AM
had plenty of naked around here at the May Day parade yesterday.

dornoforpyros
May 7, 2007, 08:01 AM
If there's one thing this world needs it's more naked! I mean I agree there's a time and a place for it, but if we can't throw caution into the wind once and a while for some good old fashion public nudity than what's the point of living? Because let's face it, the american dream can get rather bland.

shecky
May 7, 2007, 08:07 AM
ahhh Spencer Tunick. the Howard Stern of photography. :rolleyes:

Andrew D.
May 7, 2007, 09:28 AM
Wow, now that's a lot of people. Very organized I must say.

mkrishnan
May 7, 2007, 09:31 AM
I think his artwork is cute. Good on them, and good on the authorities for facilitating a tasteful display. :)

BTW... now that it's mentioned, I never really realized how different Mexican culture, regarding display of skin, is from other Latino cultures. Certainly they're nothing like the Brazillians! Is it a Portugese / Spanish influence thing? Or is it a more particularly Mexican cultural value?

twoodcc
May 7, 2007, 10:16 AM
well, i'll admit that it was organized......that's about all i'll admit about it though

Teddy's
May 7, 2007, 11:55 AM
I think his artwork is cute. Good on them, and good on the authorities for facilitating a tasteful display. :)

BTW... now that it's mentioned, I never really realized how different Mexican culture, regarding display of skin, is from other Latino cultures. Certainly they're nothing like the Brazillians! Is it a Portugese / Spanish influence thing? Or is it a more particularly Mexican cultural value?

Mexico City is a very modern place. Their authorities (at least in the city) are more open to accept values that are condemned by religious institutions. In general I think that they are more open minded than other Latin American cities.

My former boss used to say that its favourite vacation spot was Mexico City. He would walk the Zona Rosa and the Historic Zocalo. Mexico City is filled with a rich mix culture.

Would I do that? No, its not that I have any moral objection. I am not an "undressed" kind of person. :D

2nyRiggz
May 7, 2007, 01:41 PM
Interesting indeed. If people are willing to show it off then I say go for it...let it all hang in the wind.

Bless

madog
May 7, 2007, 02:14 PM
I'm surprised this article wasn't named something along the lines of, "18,000 Sinners prepare for Hell". I mean, this is america and those are naked people with their exposed penises and vaginas! Good lord! Even those words offend me. The very thought of people with genitals is disgusting! Keep that stuff in Mexico!!!

Babies come from storks! Mary was a virgin and never had sex! If you came out through the birth canal your evil!

But I digress.....

I would do it. People aren't so self conscience about their bare skin when they see how "weird" everyone else looks without their clothes. Nobody's perfect.

pilotError
May 7, 2007, 02:27 PM
I bet they didn't serve Taco Bell for that photo shoot :p

This guy has done a number of these types of photos. I'm surprised there's still a few that have never seen this before.

katie ta achoo
May 7, 2007, 02:32 PM
If only I were mexican.. damn! :)

I'd like to see this happen in the US. Even if it were done tastefully like it was here, there'd be so many people in an uproar of "OMGZ nudities is the evil!!!"

BornAgainMac
May 7, 2007, 02:49 PM
I wonder if close up shots from people in the area will turn up on the web soon.

Max Payne
May 7, 2007, 03:05 PM
We need more pictures :p

No. I'll never do it. NEVER.

wmmk
May 7, 2007, 03:58 PM
I'm keen. In fact, I'm so keen I'm gonna rock up to work tomorrow with no clothes on and just pretend I thought I was Mexican.
Sounds like a plan! And congrats on being a G4!

Hmm...
I think modesty is also stressed in Colombia, Ecuador, and a few other heavily Roman Catholic Latino countries.

zephead
May 7, 2007, 06:10 PM
^^^They are?

You have no idea! There's a reason why SoCal always stays on the warmer side, ya know. I always thought it was either just always like that or because we're in just the right spot in the world, but nope, it's from all the hot Mexican women. :cool:

zap2
May 7, 2007, 06:24 PM
As they as..."When in Rome...do as the Romans do"

(Not that mexicans are knowen for being a people often out of clothes!)

mkrishnan
May 7, 2007, 06:56 PM
I'd like to see this happen in the US. Even if it were done tastefully like it was here, there'd be so many people in an uproar of "OMGZ nudities is the evil!!!"

Spencer Tunick got his start in NYC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_Tunick) (he was also born in NY). Admittedly, he was arrested on several occasions when he did his work there, and his most famous work is from other countries. But he's an American artist.

ibook30
May 7, 2007, 10:07 PM
Spencer Tunick is great - he makes beautiful pictures and gets people involved. Thas good art.

There was a movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259453/) about his work that I enjoyed, but before that - I kept seeing oceans of naked people transformed into a single image, a mass of individuals united to create a picture, a simple, simple picture.

We need more pictures :p

No. I'll never do it. NEVER.

Why not ? Not like anyone would recognize you... and it's fun to be naked. Ask Mad Jew, he does it all the time.

SkyBell
May 7, 2007, 10:24 PM
What would you do for a Klondike bar? :cool:

4God
May 8, 2007, 02:27 PM

skunk
May 8, 2007, 02:30 PM
If only I were mexican.. damn! :)

I'd like to see this happen in the US. Even if it were done tastefully like it was here, there'd be so many people in an uproar of "OMGZ nudities is the evil!!!"He's done it several times in the US already, but of course he got arrested a few times, too. :rolleyes:

MrSmith
May 8, 2007, 05:12 PM
"It's cultural". What, in a Tracey Emin's bed kind of way? :rolleyes:

whooleytoo
May 9, 2007, 05:09 AM
I have a confession to make. Underneath my clothes, I'm naked too! :eek:

I could never do something do that. I'm not remotely prudish about nudity, I just couldn't handle being in the middle of 9,000 naked Mexicanas! :o

dcv
May 9, 2007, 05:26 AM
I wonder if they got chilli

*groan*

mpw
May 9, 2007, 05:54 AM
He's done it several times in the US already, but of course he got arrested a few times, too. :rolleyes:

What is it with the American puritanical aversion to simple nudity?

I posted, in the 'South Park Thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=129382)' a cartoon of mpw that showed a penis, albeit expertly rendered in MS Paint, that somebody deemed too offensive and deleted (I'm guessing an American mod due to the time and odds etc.)

On it's own fair enough, but in the same thread there are several cartoons showing smoking/drinking/guns/knives/s&m etc. indeed one poster has an avatar of a two South Park characters, one with a knife the other recently slaughtered (and with an uncanny similarity to Jesus)

I replaced the offending genitalia with an automatic weapon and nobody even raises an eyebrow. :confused:

iBlue
May 9, 2007, 06:00 AM
What is it with the American puritanical aversion to simple nudity?

I posted, in the 'South Park Thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=129382)' a cartoon of mpw that showed a penis, albeit expertly rendered in MS Paint, that somebody deemed too offensive and deleted (I'm guessing an American mod due to the time and odds etc.)

On it's own fair enough, but in the same thread there are several cartoons showing smoking/drinking/guns/knives/s&m etc. indeed one poster has an avatar of a two South Park characters, one with a knife the other recently slaughtered (and with an uncanny similarity to Jesus)

I replaced the offending genitalia with an automatic weapon and nobody even raises an eyebrow. :confused:

I noted the irony in that as well. It's a classic example of the american way. It's OK to use drugs and violence but if you give even simple reference to genitalia or sex, GOD forbid! ;)

MrSmith
May 9, 2007, 06:59 AM
I only agree with female nudity. ;)

m-dogg
May 9, 2007, 11:44 AM
Man, this guy just loves the nude group photos!

I few years ago I went to a 2-day phish concert in northern Maine and he did this there. We were going to participate but we overslept (it was early in the morning on the second day).

Phish released a tour DVD from that year called Bittersweet Motel and a few minutes of the movie near the end features the photo shoot.

It was basically just a lot of naked hippies; I didn't feel bad missing out...

mad jew
May 9, 2007, 08:33 PM
What is it with the American puritanical aversion to simple nudity?...

It's because everyone in America is a sillyhead. There, I said it.

Aranince
May 12, 2007, 01:03 PM
Its not the nakedness that is bad, its man or women lusting someone.

MrSmith
May 12, 2007, 08:23 PM
Its not the nakedness that is bad, its man or women lusting someone.
You mean natural sexual attraction? The kind that ensures the continuation of our species. Or in your Book is that evil outside the man-made concept of marriage?

mad jew
May 12, 2007, 09:30 PM
I like my friend's horse. She's a girl. Is that natural?

chris200x9
May 12, 2007, 09:58 PM

I'm not going to lie to you, it might not be natural per se, but its not not natural. Hope that helps. :o

mad jew
May 12, 2007, 10:00 PM
Mmm. Thanks. I think I'll give her a ring.

MrSmith
May 13, 2007, 07:35 AM
Mmm. Thanks. I think I'll give her a ring.
You've left yourself wide open...:D

-::ubermann::-
May 30, 2007, 04:41 PM
Mexico City is a very modern place. Their authorities (at least in the city) are more open to accept values that are condemned by religious institutions. In general I think that they are more open minded than other Latin American cities.

My former boss used to say that its favourite vacation spot was Mexico City. He would walk the Zona Rosa and the Historic Zocalo. Mexico City is filled with a rich mix culture.

Would I do that? No, its not that I have any moral objection. I am not an "undressed" kind of person. :D

oh Zona Rosa in Mexico City i had sex in that place with another guy, in the open street 2 weekends ago :D

Father Jack
Jun 2, 2007, 01:22 AM
Imagine, 18000 arrested for indecent exposure :eek:

FJ

MrSmith
Jun 2, 2007, 01:32 AM
Typical. One rule for one, another for 180,000 :mad:

mkrishnan
Jun 3, 2007, 09:45 AM
Tunick worked NL this weekend. (http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Netherlands-Nude-Photos.html) :)

spork183
Jun 3, 2007, 09:57 AM

That depends entirely on whether or not the horse has had cosmetic surgery. If that horse has been enhanced, all bets are off...

MrSmith
Jun 3, 2007, 10:12 AM
Tunick worked NL this weekend. (http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Netherlands-Nude-Photos.html) :)
Don't tell me. You want to come back as a saddle...

spork183
Jun 3, 2007, 10:16 AM
Don't tell me. You want to come back as a saddle...

no, I'm fairly certain MJ was referring to bareback.

btw-the link has been taken down. I think MSN was freaked by all the naked people.

MrSmith
Jun 3, 2007, 10:22 AM
no, I'm fairly certain MJ was referring to bareback.

btw-the link has been taken down. I think MSN was freaked by all the naked people.

I was referring to mkrishnan's link re: bicycles.

spork183
Jun 3, 2007, 10:25 AM
I was referring to mkrishnan's link re: bicycles.

My bad, though I'm sure you can understand the confusion.

mkrishnan
Jun 3, 2007, 10:33 AM
I'm a one jockey saddle these days, gentlemen. ;)

Mord
Jun 4, 2007, 09:33 AM
The link's dead.

Would I do something like that? now? hell no, maybe in a couple of years if i'm feeling particularly carefee/hippyish.