1 good
2 bad
3 ugly
4 good looking
what should they have done better
what did they do great

Keith Purfield
Jun 23, 2003, 03:01 PM
I think it looks nice. It's a lot different from the G4, though.

They should have more than one 5.25" bay.

scem0
Jun 23, 2003, 03:03 PM
3 - ugly.

Great in all areas except case and price.

If only they maintained the old pricing scheme..... :(

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/cdcb35acd7902df97d2eb5e6c320263b.png

Kwyjibo
Jun 23, 2003, 03:12 PM

daveg5
Jun 23, 2003, 03:14 PM
so far i dont like the case cause i was spoiled by this fake
http://digitalstudios.geneva-link.com/index2.html
it may look better in person
i also hate only having two drives instead of 4 inside,
i also hate having i optical drive instead of 2.
firewire drive adds clutter and cables
love the coolness and quietness and 8 ram slots and bandwith. pcix should be on all and duals should be on all as it is only the dual 2.0GHZ seems to be able to beat the P4 3.06 but at least they will be close.
dual 3GHZ sounds good for next year and ibm will over deliver not under deliver like moto.
this case must be much smalle without space for 2 hard drives and one optical drive.
are these at apple stores yet to see.
in the powermac x5 thread i called the camera in price riteon and the 1299-1599 firesale for the 1.25 powermac g4 spot on too check it out
upgrade manufactors better put those prices down i mean why get a single 1.2 for 600 or a dual 1.25 for 900 when for a few hundred more you have a complete system with superdrive harddrive ddr memory firewire 800 and warranty.

edesignuk
Jun 23, 2003, 03:15 PM
Sorry to say it...

...but...3) Ugly

Still, that's not to take anything away from Apple, the specs are awsome...shame about that signle 5.25" bay though, but I guess you can't gave everything.

pgwalsh
Jun 23, 2003, 03:18 PM
It's not going to win an award, but I don't think it's fugly... it doesn't look like you can put two optical drives in it, which may cause problems.. but maybe I missed that.

Anyway.. that tower looks better than any I have now.. It's going under the desk anyway so..

Ugg
Jun 23, 2003, 03:20 PM
Looks great, Aluminum is cool, no more plastic! very low key

RandomDeadHead
Jun 23, 2003, 04:05 PM
I like it ALOT. Only 1 optical bay realy, realy, sucks though.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 23, 2003, 04:06 PM
Not bad, but there where a few on the internet that where cooler. overpriced base machine in my opinion. 5200fx is a lacking card see it in the pc world. 256 ram in a machine that is 2 grand??? will see what happens but they lost this sale.( referring to the low end 1.6 machine.) I guess my quicksilver aint to bad afterall.

iGav
Jun 23, 2003, 04:08 PM
I think it's the coolest, most functional piece of IPD from Apple....

From the side it's a beauty.... and I love the front... it has that HAL memory room look about it...

I think it's great, far better than the over designed 3D heaps that have been doing the rounds...

tjwett
Jun 23, 2003, 04:12 PM
i think it's just awesome all around. i'm glad they moved on to a more modern and subdued design. the old case was starting look rather tacky. this is truly futuristic, and industrial looking. i won't be able to afford one for a while since i just bought my 12" PowerBook, but i can't wait to take one for a test drive. i'm seriously impressed. the internals are boner-inducing.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 23, 2003, 04:16 PM
at 2 grand for the 1.6 there are going to be a lot of those that cant afford it for awhile. Misstep.

daveg5
Jun 23, 2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by tjwett
i think it's just awesome all around. i'm glad they moved on to a more modern and subdued design. the old case was starting look rather tacky. this is truly futuristic, and industrial looking. i won't be able to afford one for a while since i just bought my 12" PowerBook, but i can't wait to take one for a test drive. i'm seriously impressed. the internals are boner-inducing.
i think plain and simple and understated are the words,
futuristic are those 3d models doing the rounds, you got it backwards

reflex
Jun 23, 2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by RandomDeadHead
I like it ALOT. Only 1 optical bay realy, realy, sucks though.

What do you need two optical drives for ?

Kwyjibo
Jun 23, 2003, 04:29 PM
having two is nice especialyl for the lazy gentleman

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 23, 2003, 04:31 PM
I love the new design, the old plastic thing was lame and outdated. I think that the new case is awsome, but 9 fans has to be pretty loud. Well we shall see, I a year or so I will probably think that this new case is outdated, can't wait to see in on real life.

daveg5
Jun 23, 2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by reflex
What do you need two optical drives for ?
dvd to dvd dubbing cd-cd dubbing
ripping one while watching a dvd 52x cdrw and i am sure there are a lot of other reasons

tjwett
Jun 23, 2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by daveg5
i think plain and simple and understated are the words,
futuristic are those 3d models doing the rounds, you got it backwards

most of those 3D renders are just silly and unrealistic, and most importantly, impractical, which makes them very UNfuturistic. alot of people seem to think that "futuristic" means curvy, flasy, and weird translucent materials and the like. the reality is that as technology, science, the human brain, etc, advances; the major change we will se in all products is improved efficiency. i think the G5 is a very good example of function over form, and as a result they've created a machine that truly is futuristic in appearence. the practice of making something flashy just for the sake of being flashy went out in the 70's my man. the REAL future is all about efficiency and refinement. you'll see.

Steradian
Jun 23, 2003, 05:20 PM
I hate the new look of the G5 but I think that the box shape was necessary to have that chambered cooling system, guess we are gunna have to wait for Rev.b's and possibly a new case design

vollspacken
Jun 23, 2003, 05:30 PM
OMG, looks so cool and designwise up to date... I LOVE IT!

...but I won't be able to afford one

the good thing is that B&W G3 prices and G4 prices will fall now... thats good, since I want to buy a speedy fileserver/Os9 machine in the next couple of weeks...

good job Apple!!!

tazo
Jun 23, 2003, 05:31 PM
what are your thoughts on the new G5
1 good
2 bad
3 ugly
4 good looking
what should they have done better
what did they do great

i think its ugly. the good is that they are fast. good that they are neat and tidy on the inside. but like it says on the apple website, "we thought this through from the inside out". This is wholly apparent with only one optical drive, a perforated front, and odd placement of front ports.

I am all for change, but not when the bad outweighs the good.

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 23, 2003, 05:34 PM
Really, do you guts really care what it looks like, its the fastest desktop out there, by a longshot, and panther is going to rock the house. I don't care what it looks like as long as it can render my video real fast (witch it can much faster than my 800g4, plus I like the design of the case as well.) Time is money, and this machine will save time.:)

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 23, 2003, 05:50 PM
its nice but when pc's are all getting cheaper macs are getting more expensive. I dont get it but i think they missed the ball, i hope iam wrong ( the 2 top machines are great ) except for a lousy 5200fx in the 1.8. also base machine is way overpriced for what you get. I guess if you had to do an all aluminum machine this is pretty cool. Time will tell, any rumors of the cube ever making it back with a 970 in it? How long can a mac fan be patient? awesome bus,chip................case design well.............. i guess the pro's will like it but joe consumer like me? iam stuck between an upgrade or wait for the 970 imac????

Wyrm
Jun 23, 2003, 06:12 PM
I don't think it is ugly - but nothing like what I was expecting. I think I just sat there and said "woah".

I love it from the side - that is cool.

The front will take some getting used to - I guess I craved a bit more something on the front - maybe a light, like the PowerBook glowing Mac symbol? Power switch? MDD style vents - however the closeups look a lot better than the zoom outs, as the grill looks better close up.

From the picture it looks like the optical drive could get stuck on the grill (ie, the grill has a hole cut to the size of the tray) - does anyone else see this? Grill moves a tad, drive tray doesn't come out. I was kinda hoping that they'd get away from a tray and use a slot drive like the powerbooks - slots are cooler and not susceptible to the tray-weight-overload-snap problem.

-Wyrm

dstorey
Jun 23, 2003, 06:20 PM
I'm a bit half and half. The design has already grown on me somewhat...them pics on macrumors i thought it was so horrid, but on the apple site it looks kinda nice, excpet maybe the optical drive could have been hidden better like the quicksilver and added another one along with the lacking of anymore hd's (maybe cost with each having seperate controllers?). The worst thing about the design is the front panel..the front ports look pc like and the placemnt of them and the powerbutton with the none mesh stripe...along the bottom could have looked better but maybe couldn't be done.

The best part seems to be how the speaker is hidden and the side is nice, though knida looks like a 3d render...but by far the best really is it looks nothing like that aweful fake doing the rounds and much nicer than any attepts by spymac people etc...though the one with the cleap plastic cube like feet was alright. At the m,oment i'd probably give it a 7 out of 10, probs rising higher if i saw it in person.

What idont understand though is the complete different motherboard for the low end...only pci, 4 memory slots at lower speed and maybe other things. Does this mean that the middle model (that has the same specs as the high end) will go to duel pretty soon as if not and its a different mobo again then that seems a waste.

Anyone know if the pro key and mouse are the same as the old one (as it says pro not like emac) ior a new design (we havnt seen that i can see so maybe they are finalizing before aug)

Flowbee
Jun 23, 2003, 06:22 PM
MacMice has been selling a stand for the new G5 for a few days now, implying that they had seen it. It's pretty clear it was all hype and BS. Thier advertising copy:

"Apple's shiny new PowerMacintosh G5 tower is perhaps the most exquisitely designed professional computer ever produced. With its gleaming aluminum colored surfaces, its shining details, and smartly detailed front panel, this is as much a work of art as it is a computer. And, works of art do not belong on the floor."

Smartly detailed front panel? Shining details? What a crock!:rolleyes:

pwm519
Jun 23, 2003, 06:37 PM
"pc's are all getting cheaper macs are getting more expensive. I dont get it but i think they missed the ball, i hope iam wrong ( the 2 top machines are great ) except for a lousy 5200fx in the 1.8. also base machine is way overpriced for what you get"

I see a lot of people already complaining about the price of the lowest model (1.6 GHz). These machines are designed for professionals, a 1.6 will give a 3.0 GHz P4 a run, and if you compare to the Dell XPS (which doesn't have a superdrive but does have a better videocard and more ram not to mention it's software sucks), the Dell is $600.00 more. Add a super drive and it's $800.00 more. The 1.6 GHz is very competetively priced in my opinion and a dual 2.0 GHz for under $3000.00 is a steal. Remember these are marketed towards power users not the average public. Want to compare and "average Joe PC to a mac, compare it to the iMac and remember to price a 17" LCD for the PC.

Abstract
Jun 23, 2003, 06:49 PM
Its nice, but a perforated Cube would have done the job as well. ;)

Its a nice design......a piece of modern art. They'll eventually make the machine a bit taller to allow for another optical drive, but nobody needs 4 harddrives. With HD sizes increasing, it seems rather silly to keep the max number of HD's at 4 when technology is advancing, eliminating the need for such a crutch.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 23, 2003, 06:53 PM
this is coming from someone using a powermac 800 geforce3 with a gig of mem so come on, 5200fx??256 mem???pci only not x, the 1.6 is overpriced, they should have given us a 1.4, 700 bus for under $1500.00, 2 grand is a little high for entry these days. add monitor and whats that?? are we all millionaires?? i am not! going over 2 grand on base machine is a mistake. I thought if anything price would go down. or be the same since we have beeen fed moto'stagnation for so long.

zuggerat
Jun 23, 2003, 07:07 PM
i think it looks simply amazing...artistically functionally and just in general

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 23, 2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
this is coming from someone using a powermac 800 geforce3 with a gig of mem so come on, 5200fx??256 mem???pci only not x, the 1.6 is overpriced, they should have given us a 1.4, 700 bus for under $1500.00, 2 grand is a little high for entry these days. add monitor and whats that?? are we all millionaires?? i am not! going over 2 grand on base machine is a mistake. I thought if anything price would go down. or be the same since we have beeen fed moto'stagnation for so long.

Apple makes money on hardware, and they need to sell the new machines for as much as they can get away with. The price will go down don't you worry. It's always this way with new technology, you pay for the "newest, coolest and fastest".

peas,

ZildjianKX
Jun 23, 2003, 07:32 PM
Jeez, $2K is not just a little pricey for entry level, its a little pricey for top of the line.

Man, no matter how fast it may be, the case is fugly and no 2nd optical drive sucks.

What's going to happen now that macs are ugly? :)

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 23, 2003, 07:40 PM
1984 has taken over

xelterran
Jun 23, 2003, 07:41 PM
i think it looks pretty good, all it needs really is a redesigned monitor to finish it off.. :)

Abstract
Jun 23, 2003, 08:01 PM
Bah, chances are it'll also be perforated. :p

pwm519
Jun 23, 2003, 08:13 PM
But it's not an entry level consumer computer. You may want it to be a consumer computer but it is a work station positioned against the FASTEST PCs on the planet. You may want it cheaper but the fact is that Apple has produced an entry level workstation that is CHEAPER than a similar entry level workstations from Dell. People claiming that Apple needs a low cost PowerMac should really be calling for the iMac to be updated. What a lot of people are looking for is a faster $1700.00 iMac that is as fast as a 2.6 Ghz P4 (with a 1.4 GHz PPC970). The good news is that after the pro line is updated, the consumer "lower-cost" machines should be updated significantly.

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 23, 2003, 08:17 PM
WHO CARES???? it's like christmas in June, omfg....WOOT!!!:D :D

law guy
Jun 23, 2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Jeez, $2K is not just a little pricey for entry level, its a little pricey for top of the line.

Man, no matter how fast it may be, the case is fugly and no 2nd optical drive sucks.

What's going to happen now that macs are ugly? :)

Two points:

Have you priced a dual Xeon workstation? Go over to Dell... even go up to a 2.8 single processor, not to mention dual anything and you're going over the 2k mark once you do things like put in an adequate HD and Vid cd. For a dual 3 GHz Xeon with a modest HD, slower ram, a non-8x AGP card (a 4x stuck in the 8x slot), you're well over $3,000.00. Oh, goodness, you're well over $4,000.00

Second point - it's really very pretty. Just fantastic clean design. It actually reminds me a little of a clean version of the black IBM workstations. The quiet design is also welcome - there are quieter consumer P4 machines out there, but the dual Xeons are louder. I supposed Apple must have taken the noise issue to heart and am so glad to see it given so much attention as well as presentation time. So, I suppose I've got to go with option 4.
I really love the look of the thing - my dual 1.42 G4 is jealous.

daveg5
Jun 23, 2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Laslo Panaflex
Really, do you guts really care what it looks like, its the fastest desktop out there, by a longshot, and panther is going to rock the house. I don't care what it looks like as long as it can render my video real fast (witch it can much faster than my 800g4, plus I like the design of the case as well.) Time is money, and this machine will save time.:)
yes we do care how it looks, we like cars that are fast and girls that are smart but we want good looks too.
its the fastest only when in dual form the p4 beats the other two (except altivec apps) but not by much.
the bottom unit is way overpriced, probably to make room for the outgoing 1.25 g4's
we have to get used to it the ba g3 came out in 99 and apple keot the same basic desighn for all these years that would mean2007 for update

daveg5
Jun 23, 2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by pwm519
But it's not an entry level consumer computer. You may want it to be a consumer computer but it is a work station positioned against the FASTEST PCs on the planet. You may want it cheaper but the fact is that Apple has produced an entry level workstation that is CHEAPER than a similar entry level workstations from Dell. People claiming that Apple needs a low cost PowerMac should really be calling for the iMac to be updated. What a lot of people are looking for is a faster $1700.00 iMac that is as fast as a 2.6 Ghz P4 (with a 1.4 GHz PPC970). The good news is that after the pro line is updated, the consumer "lower-cost" machines should be updated significantly.
the out going g4's are currently the entry level at 1599 for a dual add 200 for the superdrive it can compete with ant 2.8 or slower p4 at most things except games and 3d(not enough bandwith)
i wish apple included them in there benchmarks

illumin8
Jun 23, 2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by law guy
Have you priced a dual Xeon workstation? Go over to Dell... even go up to a 2.8 single processor, not to mention dual anything and you're going over the 2k mark once you do things like put in an adequate HD and Vid cd. For a dual 3 GHz Xeon with a modest HD, slower ram, a non-8x AGP card (a 4x stuck in the 8x slot), you're well over $3,000.00. Oh, goodness, you're well over $4,000.00
I think the problem is this:

Dell sells two basic types of PCs:

Dimension 8300, which is basically a P4 2.4-3.0 ghz. w/ 800mhz. FSB, single proc, sells for about $699 after rebate w/ 256 MB of RAM and 2.6 ghz. proc. (entry level)

Dell Precision Workstation, dual Xeons for about $4000.

Apple is missing the boat here because although they compete extremely well with the Dual Xeon workstation, on both price and performance, they are not competing with the entry level machine.

I bought one of those Dimension 8300s for $760 and I got a Radeon 9800 graphics card in it, 256 MB of DDR400 RAM, and a 30GB hard drive (I upgraded the RAM to 1GB with 3rd party and the hard drive to 120GB right away).

The new G5s are awesome, and I would love to own a dual 2ghz., but the single 1.6 is a total ripoff for the price.

For that price ($1999), I could have bought a tricked out P4 3 ghz. with like 2 GB of DDR400 RAM, dual 120GB ATA133 hard drives, Radeon 9800 Pro graphics, 19" flat panel LCD monitor, 5.1 surround sound, etc.

Macco
Jun 23, 2003, 11:48 PM
For accuracy's sake, let's remember that the absolute base model of the Power Mac G5 is $1799, with the combo drive instead of the super drive.

daveg5
Jun 24, 2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Abstract
Its nice, but a perforated Cube would have done the job as well. ;)

Its a nice design......a piece of modern art. They'll eventually make the machine a bit taller to allow for another optical drive, but nobody needs 4 harddrives. With HD sizes increasing, it seems rather silly to keep the max number of HD's at 4 when technology is advancing, eliminating the need for such a crutch.
most pros dont want 4 hard drives for space they want them for speed using diff flavers of raid say 3 10000 sata raptors and one lare sata to back them up.

daveg5
Jun 24, 2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by illumin8
I think the problem is this:

Dell sells two basic types of PCs:

Dimension 8300, which is basically a P4 2.4-3.0 ghz. w/ 800mhz. FSB, single proc, sells for about $699 after rebate w/ 256 MB of RAM and 2.6 ghz. proc. (entry level)

Dell Precision Workstation, dual Xeons for about $4000.

Apple is missing the boat here because although they compete extremely well with the Dual Xeon workstation, on both price and performance, they are not competing with the entry level machine.

I bought one of those Dimension 8300s for $760 and I got a Radeon 9800 graphics card in it, 256 MB of DDR400 RAM, and a 30GB hard drive (I upgraded the RAM to 1GB with 3rd party and the hard drive to 120GB right away).

The new G5s are awesome, and I would love to own a dual 2ghz., but the single 1.6 is a total ripoff for the price.

For that price ($1999), I could have bought a tricked out P4 3 ghz. with like 2 GB of DDR400 RAM, dual 120GB ATA133 hard drives, Radeon 9800 Pro graphics, 19" flat panel LCD monitor, 5.1 surround sound, etc.
whoa thats good i thought the ati 9800 card by itself was $400 even for pc's

daveg5
Jun 24, 2003, 01:00 AM
this may still happen one imac and emac and powerbooks get 970s
but the whole line should have the same motherboard and be dual across the line top to bottom 1.6-1.8-2.0 then we be talking
thats what im talking about

Sedulous
Jun 24, 2003, 01:03 AM
Yeah seriously, get off it folks! It was a winning day for Mac fans.

These new machines ARE reasonably priced for their intended purpose (workstation). The iMac was intended for the "consumer".

The intelligent looking design (someone called it the "HAL memory chip look", right on!), and moreover, the functionally intelligent design are sweet. I for one am glad to be rid of the fat bubble gum look.

Did anyone notice the new keyboard/mice? They don't look redisigned but rather, recolored to sort of match the look of the new PB design. Pretty cool. Undoubtedly someone will complain about lack of muli-button mice. Would you be happier if there was an Apple "ultra-pro" mouse for $120? Chances are you'd still buy a 3rd party mouse!

Someone please enlighten me, why such a fuss about dual optical drives? I've never bought a system with dual drives and Apple must not sell many since they dropped it as an option. Usually, I prefer having an external burner as I can upgrade/move it easily.

Trent Hare
Jun 24, 2003, 01:17 AM
It was a fantastic day for Apple fans.

Can't argue with raw horsepower :) Anybody else liking the looks of this fake after seeing the real deal?

Peyote
Jun 24, 2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by pwm519

Well if Apple isn't positioning it as an entry level computer, they are missing out on a huge segment of comsumers. People like me that use PowerMacs and would be willing to update our existing powermacs to the new model if the price was right. However a LOT of students and others will not be able to afford the upgrade. What's the other option you bring up? An Imac. Well as a powermac user I already have a 19" LaCie that I'm never replacing with an Imac. So you see the problem? Apple pushes the price of their low end machines up more and more, and people can either 1)buy a new one IF they can afford it 2) Buy an Imac and throw away their monitor 3) Just stick with what we have or 4) go buy a PC. Not everyone looking at buying a Powermac is willing to throw away a perfectly good monitor to get the latest processor in an Imac.

This is not a good strategy to get switchers and keep mac users. Powermac are generally geared for pro's, but they've always been accessable to others as well. Now Apple has pushed them out of many people's range while NOT including certain items that should come standard with the increase in price (such as RAM)

Lastly, how is upping the price of the bas model PM going to win over any more of the market? This new pricing is just going to alienate PC users even more.

I love Apple, and couldn't be happier with OSX, my Quicksilver, etc. I love the new products announced today and new OS features (especially Font Book...drool). I think they could have done better with the case, but the only thing that upsets me is this new pricing. I can't justify spending that much money until the low end machine reaches 2ghz. I think there are a lot of PM owners that will feel the same way too. I predict Apple's PM sales to be sluggish until a couple of more speed bumps take place to make the machine more worth the high price.

Ryan1524
Jun 24, 2003, 05:03 AM
5) excellent (the selection i want is not there..)

the case redesign is a very dramatic change from the good old case that we've grown to know and love. so maybe this new guy is not very welcome coz it's well, new. i love it right the second i saw it. it's great. it's advanced, the alu definitely no only looks good but helps with cooling, and the clean amteal look gives it an understated and simple, yet elegant. this case is perfect.

it's time for apple to leave the plastic and glass world and onto the futuristic metal designs. :)

phil1984
Jun 24, 2003, 05:39 AM
I personally wouldn't be suprised to see the low end G5 drop to $1500-$1600 dollars by Christmas.

I feel that the only reason why the low-end G5 is priced so high is too give people some insentive to go out and buy the remaing G4's that are out there so Apple doesn't end up with a warehouse full of Dual G4 1.4 Ghz machines. Another reason is that it can charge the Early Adopters a higher price before lowering the price for a more mass market appeal.

caveman_uk
Jun 24, 2003, 07:09 AM
I have to admit I like the look from the side but the front is a bit weak style wise. I think I prefer the old G4 case but then I've got one ;) . It's due to engineering necessity. The cases have to be able to cope with not just dual 2GHz but higher speed systems so they need a good airflow system. Not having a mesh front would make windnoise an issue. They do look very industrial but then I'm a sucker for brushed metal on things. I reckon they should have kept the integral side door idea from the old G4 case. I don't care how great and easy to open the new one is. The old door was really smart.

CallmeKenneth
Jun 24, 2003, 07:39 AM
I think the G5 is incredible. The design is something that is clean, simple and effective. Apple has done what it always does with new products - create something that is radical and unexpected. Having no logo on the front? Has anyone else had the guts to do that? I can see why people think it's ugly, but think about when the LCD iMac came out. That was nothing short of revolutionary, and no other computer manufacturer has even come close to it design-wise (not even that hideous Gateway monstrosity). I remember when i first saw it on the webcast - I didn't quite know what to think. It was so unlike a computer it was breathtaking....

And now we have the G5 which certainly isn't ostentatious. It fuses form and function brilliantly and with subtletly. I love it!

Anyway, my point is, we should applaud Apple for daring to be cutting edge, while the rest of the world churns out dull and anonymous beige boxes. Maybe its because they have a smaller market share that they can afford to be a bit bolder. But - hey! - I'm all for that!

Sabenth
Jun 24, 2003, 08:03 AM
I have to say that i like the look of it but it kind of reminds me of an over grown cheese grater then again i always did like cheese... ...

No logo on front well its a statment thats down right briliant whats that ???? its an apple cant be aint got a logo on it dose round the side

benixau
Jun 24, 2003, 08:23 AM
I have two problems with the new design of the powermacs:

I live in australia and cant get one yet (dang nabbit)
They are too much right now (after conversion) for me to get even if i sell my, now massively outdated, DP 1G MDD.

I like the design. The new door is desgined to keep the cases thinner and therefor have less air to move when cooling the things. Here are a few facts:

1.8 G5 makes 36W heat
2.0 G5 makes 41W heat
3.0 P4 makes 86W heat

We ahve to get rid of 82W heat in that top machine. As well as the RAM heat which is faster than a P4s. Apple has done the best looking and most functional design they could do. I along with most reasonable and appreciative mac users applaud them and wish them the best.

The others here seem to think that apple just wanted to make it cheap. Some of it, yes. But mainly it is the underlined.

law guy
Jun 24, 2003, 11:43 AM
whoa thats good i thought the ati 9800 card by itself was $400 even for pc's

Dell's pricing on cards changes by machine package / line, so it's a little hard to pin down. For example, a card on a suggested system Dimension might be a $50 upgrade and the same upgrade on a Precision 450 might be a $90 upgrade. Dell seems to price like an airline - the Dimensions are coach: folks are most cost concious. The Precisions, or even the Dimensions in the Business section, are pricier for the similar options. I suppose they figure that, like with a business class ticket, it's other people's money that's being spent by an IT dept.

For the Precision workstations - the cards offered (last time I looked) were not the 9800, and co. but were various levels of the very expensive ATI FIRE and some really, really expensive super-pro cards with 256 MB ram. I think the cheap card is something like the ATI 32 MB card on the workstations, moving up to the 64 meg. and on intro the stratospheric pricing from there. I think you have to spend a real chunk of change to get a card in the precision line that actually takes advantage of the PRO 50 or PRO 110 8x AGP slot. Something like $600 more. Perhaps prosumer options have been added recently. The prices remind me of the cards that rasterops (was that the spelling?) used to make for the Mac II FX and Ci... so expensive it's makes you blink.

agreenster
Jun 24, 2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by tjwett
most of those 3D renders are just silly and unrealistic, and most importantly, impractical, which makes them very UNfuturistic. alot of people seem to think that "futuristic" means curvy, flasy, and weird translucent materials and the like. the reality is that as technology, science, the human brain, etc, advances; the major change we will se in all products is improved efficiency. i think the G5 is a very good example of function over form, and as a result they've created a machine that truly is futuristic in appearence. the practice of making something flashy just for the sake of being flashy went out in the 70's my man. the REAL future is all about efficiency and refinement. you'll see.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Fantastic design in my opinion. Rivals the looks of most modern cars and other high end products.

These people expected a pimped-out Eclipse (with the wing and the decals and bling-bling rims....etc) but what they got was a true Mercedes. Many people cant appreciate that kind of beauty.

And now it has the super-fast engine to go with it. :):):)

pwm519
Jun 24, 2003, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE]For accuracy's sake, let's remember that the absolute base model of the Power Mac G5 is $1799, with the combo drive instead of the super drive.[QUOTE]

Actually, if your a student or faculty and you get rid of the modem, then the base with a student discount is $1681.00. You can already pickup a couple RAM sticks at Crucial for $69.99 (for 512MB DDR2700). Put in $50.00 for the ATI Videocard and were still $1870.98.

But hey, for $1870.98 you have a very strong performing Mac, with a midrange videocard and 1GB of ram.

Knock off 1 stick of RAM and through in the SuperDrive and your still at $2000.00 That's still a pretty nice machine.