Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
what are your thoughts on the new G5
1 good
2 bad
3 ugly
4 good looking
what should they have done better
what did they do great

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
3 - ugly.

Great in all areas except case and price.

If only they maintained the old pricing scheme..... :(

cdcb35acd7902df97d2eb5e6c320263b.png

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
new case needed

so far i dont like the case cause i was spoiled by this fake
http://digitalstudios.geneva-link.com/index2.html
it may look better in person
i also hate only having two drives instead of 4 inside,
i also hate having i optical drive instead of 2.
firewire drive adds clutter and cables
love the coolness and quietness and 8 ram slots and bandwith. pcix should be on all and duals should be on all as it is only the dual 2.0GHZ seems to be able to beat the P4 3.06 but at least they will be close.
dual 3GHZ sounds good for next year and ibm will over deliver not under deliver like moto.
this case must be much smalle without space for 2 hard drives and one optical drive.
are these at apple stores yet to see.
in the powermac x5 thread i called the camera in price riteon and the 1299-1599 firesale for the 1.25 powermac g4 spot on too check it out
upgrade manufactors better put those prices down i mean why get a single 1.2 for 600 or a dual 1.25 for 900 when for a few hundred more you have a complete system with superdrive harddrive ddr memory firewire 800 and warranty.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Sorry to say it...

...but...3) Ugly

Still, that's not to take anything away from Apple, the specs are awsome...shame about that signle 5.25" bay though, but I guess you can't gave everything.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
It's not going to win an award, but I don't think it's fugly... it doesn't look like you can put two optical drives in it, which may cause problems.. but maybe I missed that.

Anyway.. that tower looks better than any I have now.. It's going under the desk anyway so..

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Not bad, but there where a few on the internet that where cooler. overpriced base machine in my opinion. 5200fx is a lacking card see it in the pc world. 256 ram in a machine that is 2 grand??? will see what happens but they lost this sale.( referring to the low end 1.6 machine.) I guess my quicksilver aint to bad afterall.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I think it's the coolest, most functional piece of IPD from Apple....

From the side it's a beauty.... and I love the front... it has that HAL memory room look about it...

I think it's great, far better than the over designed 3D heaps that have been doing the rounds...

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i think it's just awesome all around. i'm glad they moved on to a more modern and subdued design. the old case was starting look rather tacky. this is truly futuristic, and industrial looking. i won't be able to afford one for a while since i just bought my 12" PowerBook, but i can't wait to take one for a test drive. i'm seriously impressed. the internals are boner-inducing.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
futuristic?

Originally posted by tjwett
i think it's just awesome all around. i'm glad they moved on to a more modern and subdued design. the old case was starting look rather tacky. this is truly futuristic, and industrial looking. i won't be able to afford one for a while since i just bought my 12" PowerBook, but i can't wait to take one for a test drive. i'm seriously impressed. the internals are boner-inducing.
i think plain and simple and understated are the words,
futuristic are those 3d models doing the rounds, you got it backwards

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I love the new design, the old plastic thing was lame and outdated. I think that the new case is awsome, but 9 fans has to be pretty loud. Well we shall see, I a year or so I will probably think that this new case is outdated, can't wait to see in on real life.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by reflex
What do you need two optical drives for ?
dvd to dvd dubbing cd-cd dubbing
ripping one while watching a dvd 52x cdrw and i am sure there are a lot of other reasons

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: futuristic?

Originally posted by daveg5
i think plain and simple and understated are the words,
futuristic are those 3d models doing the rounds, you got it backwards

most of those 3D renders are just silly and unrealistic, and most importantly, impractical, which makes them very UNfuturistic. alot of people seem to think that "futuristic" means curvy, flasy, and weird translucent materials and the like. the reality is that as technology, science, the human brain, etc, advances; the major change we will se in all products is improved efficiency. i think the G5 is a very good example of function over form, and as a result they've created a machine that truly is futuristic in appearence. the practice of making something flashy just for the sake of being flashy went out in the 70's my man. the REAL future is all about efficiency and refinement. you'll see.

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
I hate the new look of the G5 but I think that the box shape was necessary to have that chambered cooling system, guess we are gunna have to wait for Rev.b's and possibly a new case design

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
OMG, looks so cool and designwise up to date... I LOVE IT!

...but I won't be able to afford one

the good thing is that B&W G3 prices and G4 prices will fall now... thats good, since I want to buy a speedy fileserver/Os9 machine in the next couple of weeks...

good job Apple!!!

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: The Good The Bad The Ugly

Originally posted by daveg5
what are your thoughts on the new G5
1 good
2 bad
3 ugly
4 good looking
what should they have done better
what did they do great

i think its ugly. the good is that they are fast. good that they are neat and tidy on the inside. but like it says on the apple website, "we thought this through from the inside out". This is wholly apparent with only one optical drive, a perforated front, and odd placement of front ports.

I am all for change, but not when the bad outweighs the good.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Really, do you guts really care what it looks like, its the fastest desktop out there, by a longshot, and panther is going to rock the house. I don't care what it looks like as long as it can render my video real fast (witch it can much faster than my 800g4, plus I like the design of the case as well.) Time is money, and this machine will save time.:)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
its nice but when pc's are all getting cheaper macs are getting more expensive. I dont get it but i think they missed the ball, i hope iam wrong ( the 2 top machines are great ) except for a lousy 5200fx in the 1.8. also base machine is way overpriced for what you get. I guess if you had to do an all aluminum machine this is pretty cool. Time will tell, any rumors of the cube ever making it back with a 970 in it? How long can a mac fan be patient? awesome bus,chip................case design well.............. i guess the pro's will like it but joe consumer like me? iam stuck between an upgrade or wait for the 970 imac????

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
I don't think it is ugly - but nothing like what I was expecting. I think I just sat there and said "woah".

I love it from the side - that is cool.

The front will take some getting used to - I guess I craved a bit more something on the front - maybe a light, like the PowerBook glowing Mac symbol? Power switch? MDD style vents - however the closeups look a lot better than the zoom outs, as the grill looks better close up.

From the picture it looks like the optical drive could get stuck on the grill (ie, the grill has a hole cut to the size of the tray) - does anyone else see this? Grill moves a tad, drive tray doesn't come out. I was kinda hoping that they'd get away from a tray and use a slot drive like the powerbooks - slots are cooler and not susceptible to the tray-weight-overload-snap problem.

-Wyrm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.