Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edwardlanti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
new york city
Hey guys right now I have a regular Xbox 360 Premium...I would had love to hook it up with my 20" Cinema Display but as you know I cant do that unless I buy a separate box to hook it up...I dont want to do that...so I was thinking of selling my Xbox and getting the elite edition cause of the HDMI....so the question I am asking is...Would the elite work with my Display?

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
They sell HDMI-to-DVI cables, so I would think so. I don't think the X-Box 360 Elite uses a proprietary port, right?

EDIT: I should add a word of caution. Since the Apple Cinema Display has almost no controls beyond brightness and an power button, choosing a proper resolution could be an issue. If you're expecting 1080p, the 20" Cinema Display doesn't have a high enough resolution. 720p will work, but if the Apple Cinema Display doesn't have a 1:1 mode, expect everything in the screen to be stretched. If the HDMI cable works like the VGA cable, and you can choose a resolution, consider using the 20" Cinema Display's native resolution.

iBob81

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2007
so, you just connect the hdmi to dvi, then a stereo to mono analog to your macbook?

I assume this is needed since the difference between dvi and hdmi is that hdmi incl. sound. So a seperate audio cable would be required. I have the same display and run a macbook, which has a single audio in. That's where the sound would go, right?

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
There's a similar thread in the Apple Games forum, might be worth checking out....

Edit: here ya go:

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Yeah, pretty much. Cores are the only ones without HDMI now (on the new revision). Kinda snuck it under the rug though...no giant star stickers proclaiming "Now with HDMI!" or anything...just a small 'HDMI port' mention on the console specs section on the box (shown here).

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Everything I've read re: 65nm "Falcon" boards says they haven't shipped yet and won't probably til October or November at the earliest.

Did you get a news scoop, greatdevourer? Share that mofo if you have ;)
I didn't think 65nm would be available in retail yet...

The one caveat about the 65nm though is it is not the solution to the problem.
The only 65nm chip for now will be the cpu; ATi has not come up with 65nm gpu's yet therefore the 65nm process 360s still will suffer RoD issues because the gpu is the one with the heat issues, not the cpu. :confused:

Two steps forward, one step back with these guys (the engineers)...:rolleyes:

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
When I picked up a game on saturday, the guy in front of me was buying a 360 Elite as a replacement, because the guy behind the counter told him it had the 65nm chip. He'll probably be annoyed when he finds out that's not the case. :)

These guys state the 65nm is in full production, so how long will it take to get them on the shelf?

<]=)

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
People are going to be disappointed with their 65nm RoD 360s. ;)
Again, this won't solve any problems. :eek:

Sure, the cpu generates heat but the cpu and its heat isn't the major cause of RoD; the gpu is. The gpu gets too hot and warps the circuit board which then causes the connection socket to lose consistency and eventually it leads to an RoD. Looking at the improved heatsink on the current models and the repaired ones...they primarily beefed up the heatsink on the gpu, not the cpu.

Again (again) - 65nm gpu 360s are in the works but there is no estimated arrival date on them because ATi hasn't refined the gpu process down from 90nm -> 65nm like IBM has done with the Xenon cpu. I think releasing them now is a sort of "save face" idea so they look better in the eye of the public, but again - this won't ring the end of the RoD issue and I can't help but wonder if this won't (potentially) backfire when people still get an RoD on a 65nm system because then the outcry will be "well, they did a die shrink and the system STILL fails, what next?". :eek:

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
The Apple Cinema Display doesn't have HDCP. Forget all about HDMI's advantages for HD-DVDs.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Everything I've read re: 65nm "Falcon" boards says they haven't shipped yet and won't probably til October or November at the earliest.

Did you get a news scoop, greatdevourer? Share that mofo if you have ;)
I didn't think 65nm would be available in retail yet...

The one caveat about the 65nm though is it is not the solution to the problem.
The only 65nm chip for now will be the cpu; ATi has not come up with 65nm gpu's yet therefore the 65nm process 360s still will suffer RoD issues because the gpu is the one with the heat issues, not the cpu. :confused:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/01/xbox-360-65nm-chips-out-there-45nm-chips-in-the-future/ - that's the closest I could find, but I'm sure it was on digg a week or 2 ago :confused:

As for will it fix the issues, possibly so, as there'll be less heat circulating the case adding the problem, but it'll still want watercooling to keep it properly safe

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
EThe one caveat about the 65nm though is it is not the solution to the problem.

Well if you have a cooler running CPU then the GPU will also run cooler because the air around it will be cooler. This should solve a lot of the RRoD problems.

Also engineering is not an exact science, there are no definite 1's or 0's. It's extremely difficult to shrink a die to a new process, not to mention how much harder it is with a big die like the XBOX 360 graphics chip with it's off board memory. It's also very difficult to fully evaluate if the new chip will work the same as the old one.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Some dude posted here:

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=375090&page=2

"Aravance dont bump a year old thread with incorrect information. All the current Apple displays are DVI-I and can be adapted to VGA. Only the old apple displays with the ADC connetors are DVI-D only"

So, does that mean it works??

It means the guy is talking out his ASS. Seriously all ACD's are DVI-Digital only. The only way of getting a VGA signal it to buy an expensive converter box.

k3rnelkurtz

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2007
Sorry to necro this thread, but I found this thread when googling my predicament.

Intrigued by the new GTA IV game, I'm thinking heavily about getting an Xbox 360 to hook up to my 20" ACD. I know that the cheapest version of the Xbox 360 has HDMI out now. So if I got an HDMI-to-DVI cable, would it work? Would I have any resolution problems or anything like that?

Thanks.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sorry to necro this thread, but I found this thread when googling my predicament.

Intrigued by the new GTA IV game, I'm thinking heavily about getting an Xbox 360 to hook up to my 20" ACD. I know that the cheapest version of the Xbox 360 has HDMI out now. So if I got an HDMI-to-DVI cable, would it work? Would I have any resolution problems or anything like that?

Thanks.

No! :) save a long winded answer but I have tried and it didn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.