PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 & Remote Desktop Connection

jaws01
May 10, 2007, 12:15 PM
I am planning on buying a iMac G5, 17" 1.6GHz. Is it possible to run Remote Desktop Connection for Mac on the G5?

This app ---> http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=remotedesktopclient

I currently have it on my MacBook.

notsofatjames
May 10, 2007, 12:20 PM
Right click on the appliaction remote desktop on your macbook in the finder, and go to Get Info. In the general section, it should say Kind: Application (Universal/PowerPC/Intel)

If it says Universal or PowerPC in the brackets your ok! but if its intel, you may run into problems on your G5

Eidorian
May 10, 2007, 12:23 PM
It works just fine on our Intel machines via Rosetta.

jaws01
May 10, 2007, 01:06 PM
Right click on the appliaction remote desktop on your macbook in the finder, and go to Get Info. In the general section, it should say Kind: Application (Universal/PowerPC/Intel)

If it says Universal or PowerPC in the brackets your ok! but if its intel, you may run into problems on your G5

Thank you very much! it does say in brackets (PowerPC)

notsofatjames
May 10, 2007, 01:08 PM
Thank you very much! it does say in brackets (PowerPC)

I thought it was a PowerPC, but i couldnt find any information about it on the web. Should work better on the G5 than your macbook as well!!

mkrishnan
May 11, 2007, 12:36 PM
I just set up RDC on my iMac G5 and my iBook G4, tying into a Windows 2003 server at the University.

I have to say... I'm floored! This product is outstanding! Very easy to set up. Does not require firewall modifications. Works out of the box not only while on the network at school but also here at home. Fullscreen and fairly FAST! It even runs very well on the G4. The thing that gets me is that, even over the public internet, running from here through my cable internet service to the University, I find almost all of the software we use usable on both computers.

This is so great! :)

notsofatjames
May 11, 2007, 12:40 PM
I just set up RDC on my iMac G5 and my iBook G4, tying into a Windows 2003 server at the University.

I have to say... I'm floored! This product is outstanding! Very easy to set up. Does not require firewall modifications. Works out of the box not only while on the network at school but also here at home. Fullscreen and fairly FAST! It even runs very well on the G4. The thing that gets me is that, even over the public internet, running from here through my cable internet service to the University, I find almost all of the software we use usable on both computers.

This is so great! :)

Glad Microsoft has made at least one happy customer!