PDA

View Full Version : Getting a PS3 tomorrow!!!

asxtb
May 11, 2007, 08:49 AM
Really excited, I'm getting a PS3 tomorrow!!! :D It will be the first time since the Super Nintendo that I'll have a 'current/next generation' console. I have a couple of questions....

Is there any reason to get the 60GB over the 20GB model? I don't play multiplayer and feel I really have no need for the Wifi. And I'll only have 5 games at most so I really don't feel like I need a large HDD. And no need for all the memory card stuff. So other than that, any reason I should NOT get the 20GB model? Is there any aspect that I'm missing? Also are there any accessories I need? How necessary is the remote for the DVD player? etc...

Thanks.

gloss
May 11, 2007, 09:08 AM
1) If gaming is your primary interest, I'd seriously consider getting a 360 instead. Selection on the PS3 is pretty sparse at the moment.

2) Wireless was the only real reason I sprung for the 60gb model. If that and the lack of HD space don't bug you, then the 20gb should be fine. If (BIG if) you can find one.

3) The remote is extremely handy for viewing Blu-ray/DVDs, at least in my experience. Since the PS3 has no IR input, it won't work with a universal or Harmony remote.

MacKitten
May 11, 2007, 09:08 AM
i have a 60GB model (only avail here in Aus) and i cant find any reason to have a 60 over a 20. Did hear there are a few hacks to dump .avi's on there but thats it. Its pretty cool, but has some rendering issues. Blows the ps2 out of the water. Have been addicted to Tony Hawks 8!
enjoy it!

asxtb
May 11, 2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the replies.

To Gloss: 1. Actually all the games I'd really play are already available.
2. I believe the 20GB is still available in Japan.
3. Thanks for the advice. I will be watching a bunch of DVDs on it since the current DVD we have has been acting up. So I may just pick up a remote as well.

To MacKitten: Never had a PS2 so really can't compare. Just from the few times I played a friends PS2. Tony Hawk 8?!?! Can't believe it's been that long since Tony Hawk 1. :eek:

DarkNetworks
May 11, 2007, 09:29 AM
The only the game makes me want to go out there and get a PS3 is F1 Championship Edition. I would go out there and get one if Apple doesn't update their MacBook or MacBook Pro lineup this coming WWDC. I need a new Mac but I want a PS3. It's a dilemma situation. Good Luck on your purchase.

gloss
May 11, 2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the replies.

To Gloss: 1. Actually all the games I'd really play are already available.
2. I believe the 20GB is still available in Japan.
3. Thanks for the advice. I will be watching a bunch of DVDs on it since the current DVD we have has been acting up. So I may just pick up a remote as well.

Aha, I didn't even notice that you were in Japan. Different situation entirely, then. The PS3's still kind of a shakey bet in the States, but I think its future in Japan is, at the very least, more of a sure thing.

It's a beautifully engineered console, but the software support over here is pretty lousy. I basically just use mine for Blu-ray.

Coded-Dude
May 11, 2007, 11:03 AM
The PS3's still kind of a shakey bet in the States
Thats what they said about PS2 as well.......its future is certain, but the titles are a bit slow to come out right now.

Sounds like the 20GB model will suffice. Hope you enjoy it(PS3) as much as I do. ;)

juanster
May 11, 2007, 11:10 AM
if i wasn t saving up to get an imac by the end of june or july i would soooooooooooooooooooooo buy a ps3 right now......congrats man enjoy it..

evilgEEk
May 11, 2007, 11:17 AM
Thats what they said about PS2 as well.......

I think he was referring to just the 20GB model, aren't those gone in the states?

asxtb, if you have the money for the 60GB then I would go for it. Even though you're not interested in wireless right now, you might be in the future, and the bigger the hard drive, the better I say. :)

I'd go with the 60GB model just to future proof yourself if nothing else, you may find yourself wishing you had wireless at some point down the road.

Coded-Dude
May 11, 2007, 11:47 AM
Oh...... :o
I do know Sony announced that they were phasing them out.
(as demand in the states for the 20GB was very low)

I am not sure whether that means they physically pulled them off the shelves though
(I highly doubt it)
My assumption is that they will let stores deplete their stocks and send any already produced units to stores/regions that still have somewhat of a demand. But AFAIK production has stopped for the US.

If you ever want to buy a PSP, the wireless interactivity in some games will be worth it. And you may find a use for the card reader sooner or later.
(saving videogameplay, copying it to SD, and taking it to a friends house to show them)
Anywho, like I said, you will probably be fine with the 20GB model, but like others the 60GB is more worth the purchase.

gloss
May 11, 2007, 12:18 PM
Oh...... :o
I do know Sony announced that they were phasing them out.
(as demand in the states for the 20GB was very low)

This was BS spin on Sony's part. I never once saw a 20gb model in stores, and my friend who worked at EB for years said that their stock was almost entirely 60gb models.

The loss on the 60gb models is less than the 20gb, and so Sony intentionally underproduced them. Then they use 'less demand' as a rationale to discontinue the model entirely. It's all marketing and spin doctoring. If you HAVE a lower-end model, you can rightfully say that PS3s cost $499 and up. You don't necessarily have to make that cheaper model easy to find. Once it's fulfilled its role as a marketing tool, you can get rid of it. This is exactly what they did.

And I dunno about the PS2 comparison, but the PS3's library, both current and until the end of the year, looks painfully weak.

Coded-Dude
May 11, 2007, 12:31 PM
Heavenly Sword
MGS4
Little Big Planet
HOME
WarHawk
Lair
The Darkness
Ratchet & Clank
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Stranglehold
Battlefield: Bad Company
Golden Axe
Assassin's Creed
The Eye of Judgment
Monster Kingdom
SingStar
Heavy Rain
Grand Theft Auto IV
Mercenaries 2
Killzone
The Getaway
Transformers
Uncharted
Army of Two
Time Crisis 4
Eydentify
Final Fantasy
War Devil(TBA)
Guitar Hero
Eight Days(TBA)
Unreal Tournament
Not to mention all the Sports games.
(football, soccer, baseball, tennis, racing, etc.)

Or the arcade games like SuperStarDustHD, and Calling All Cars.

gloss
May 11, 2007, 01:09 PM
Only a handful of those are exclusive, and many are unproven. Sony's got some catching up to do before they'll be able to compete legitimately with the 360.

Coded-Dude
May 11, 2007, 01:13 PM
exclusivity doesn't really matter for PS3 owners........these are games to look forward too.
Granted the exclusives may help one decide which console to buy, but after that ALL these NON-EXCLUSIVE titles are relevant.

You may have trouble deciding which platform to buy a non-exlcusive game for(if you have multiple consoles), but these are still games to look forward too regardless.

gloss
May 11, 2007, 01:21 PM
I'll agree with you there. But I'm more worried about the PS3's future as THE console, as the PS2 was. If they can't secure some major exclusives, there will be absolutely no real reason to buy one over a 360 other than Blu-ray. And as it stands, the 360 has more major exclusives both available and in the pipeline.

Plus it has a far superior controller.

Coded-Dude
May 11, 2007, 01:27 PM
Well, I just read a lot of opinion, but saw no fact to back that up.
That must be why IGN gave PS3 the Best Exclusives Award......and also why everybody wants an xbox 360 in Japan.

If game exclusivity is all you look at when buying a console, then more power too yo, but that is far from fact or truth with every other consumer's decisions.

I wonder how many users Microsoft got purely because said users merely hate Sony.

asxtb is EXCITED about his new PS3....help keep him excited about it, because there is much to be excited about!

[EDIT] don't get me wrong, this is not a direct assault or accusation gloss
But it seems that quite often when someone announces they have just purchased a Sony console there are at lest one or two users that have a doom/gloom post.
"I hope it lasts.....good luck because I was disappointed......take it back and buy a wii......etc."
Ironically, you don't really see that in any of the I just bought a Nintendo/Microsoft console thread.

gloss
May 11, 2007, 01:39 PM
Well, I just read a lot of opinion, but saw no fact to back that up.
That must be why IGN gave PS3 the Best Exclusives Award......and also why everybody wants an xbox 360 in Japan.

If game exclusivity is all you look at when buying a console, then more power too yo, but that is far from fact or truth with every other consumer's decisions.

I wonder how many users Microsoft got purely because said users merely hate Sony.

asxtb is EXCITED about his new PS3....help keep him excited about it, because there is much to be excited about!

For the record, I own a 60gb PS3, and am merely jealous of my friend's 360. Beyond Resistance and Motorstorm, neither of which strike me as worth a $60 investment, there's little on the console that's truly exemplary. The 360's got Gears of War, Crackdown, Viva Pinata, and on the horizon are Bioshock and Mass Effect. The only games I'm really looking forward to on the PS3 this year are Assassin's Creed and GTA IV - and both of them will be available on the 360 as well. Not to mention that Devil May Cry 4 and (possibly) FFXIII have both gone multiplatform.

So I paid $200 extra for a console that has, at the moment, fewer quality games than the competition. At least Blu-ray is a consolation.

The situation in Japan, of course, is different, so there's not as much reason not to make the leap.

Coded-Dude
May 11, 2007, 01:44 PM
fyi - Your friend has already spent just as much, if not more on his 360.
and again, your opinion of the upcoming games in no way/shape/form reflects their actual "fun" factor.
(or overall success/failure rate)

I listed 32 some-odd games there and the exclusive are most definitely worth the purchase!
See I can do it too. ;)

gloss
May 11, 2007, 01:50 PM
fyi - Your friend has already spent just as much, if not more on his 360

And he has three controllers and five damn good games to show for it. I've got a PS3 with a remote and a downloaded demo of Resistance. Don't make stupid parallels.

I'm looking forward to playing something truly great on the PS3, but it's worrysome from a business perspective for them if their console costs significantly more (which is does) but does not offer a large number of significant exclusives (from a critical or popular standpoint) to match. We'll see how things are in a year or so, I reckon.

Coded-Dude
May 11, 2007, 03:45 PM
wow...more opinion - my parallel is far from stupid, but thanks for the insult. :rolleyes:

my "stupid" parallel:
PS3 more initial costs, cheaper long term costs.
360 more long term costs, cheaper initial costs.

I guess it may be stupid, if you have problems with math(or something), but it makes perfect sense to most.

please show me the SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE of owning both consoles over a two year time period?
(if you want to just count start up costs, you have already lost)

gloss
May 11, 2007, 03:54 PM
Okay.

PS3 = $600 + $60 per game.
360 = $400 + $60 per game.

That's a $200 delta. Even if I buy three more controllers and 15 games it's still a $200 delta.

I think you're the one with math problems.

My friend's spent more on his 360, but he's also got a hell of a lot more to show for it. The PS3 does not have any 'cheaper long term costs', unless you're using that to refer to Xbox Live, which is ridiculous because the PS3 doesn't currently have anything that even approaches it.

The only reason I'm not completely peeved about my PS3 purchase is because I actually make use of the Blu-ray capability.

Coded-Dude
May 11, 2007, 03:59 PM
wow...look at the brilliance, you only gave me initial start up.....so, where's the long term analysis?

XBOX REQUIRES MORE ACCESSORIES AND THE COST OF LIVE.
(which is more expensive long term)

gloss
May 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
wowo...look at the brilliance, you only gave me initial start up.....so, where's the long term analysis?

Show me your long term analysis. I'd love to see it.

Explain accessories? And the PS3 HAS NO EQUIVALENT TO LIVE. So you can't even draw comparisons. Live is the single best online system available, and nothing the PS3 has at the moment even holds a candle. Once Home releases and doesn't suck and remains free, then you'll have an argument.

zap2
May 11, 2007, 04:03 PM
Heavenly Sword
MGS4
Little Big Planet
HOME
WarHawk
Lair
The Darkness
Ratchet & Clank
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Stranglehold
Battlefield: Bad Company
Golden Axe
Assassin's Creed
The Eye of Judgment
Monster Kingdom
SingStar
Heavy Rain
Grand Theft Auto IV
Mercenaries 2
Killzone
The Getaway
Transformers
Uncharted
Army of Two
Time Crisis 4
Eydentify
Final Fantasy
War Devil(TBA)
Guitar Hero
Eight Days(TBA)
Unreal Tournament
Not to mention all the Sports games.
(football, soccer, baseball, tennis, racing, etc.)

Or the arcade games like SuperStarDustHD, and Calling All Cars.

Wow...thats a big list, a big list of which most won't see the light of day this year..or come on other console.

I know you like the PS3, but when you have to mislead people so much, is it really worth it?

Fezwick
May 11, 2007, 04:04 PM
Okay.

PS3 = $600 + $60 per game.
360 = $400 + $60 per game.

That's a $200 delta. Even if I buy three more controllers and 15 games it's still a $200 delta.

I think you're the one with math problems.

My friend's spent more on his 360, but he's also got a hell of a lot more to show for it. The PS3 does not have any 'cheaper long term costs', unless you're using that to refer to Xbox Live, which is ridiculous because the PS3 doesn't currently have anything that even approaches it.

The only reason I'm not completely peeved about my PS3 purchase is because I actually make use of the Blu-ray capability.

I think what Coded-Dude means is that the 360 would cost more if you were to match the PS3 feature for feature. The 360 would need a $200 HD-DVD drive and a $100 wireless adapter.

gloss
May 11, 2007, 04:06 PM
I think what Coded-Dude means is that the 360 would cost more if you were to match the PS3 feature for feature. The 360 would need a $200 HD-DVD drive and a $100 wireless adapter.

True, but as a gaming machine (which is the grounds on which I'm basing the comparison) it lacks only the Wi-Fi adapter. Blu-ray/HD-DVD is an entirely different discussion.

And honestly, if I had been buying purely for software support, and the consoles were the same price, the 360 would STILL be the better buy.

Coded-Dude
May 11, 2007, 04:09 PM
so.......its okay for you to sub-classify PS3 parts(relevant or not) into the expense(longterm or short), but not the 360?
(go figure)

Fezwick
May 11, 2007, 04:15 PM
True, but as a gaming machine (which is the grounds on which I'm basing the comparison) it lacks only the Wi-Fi adapter. Blu-ray/HD-DVD is an entirely different discussion.

And honestly, if I had been buying purely for software support, and the consoles were the same price, the 360 would STILL be the better buy.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. That's why I bought my 360 (and sold my Wii). I didn't buy it for a multimedia machine, I bought it for games, first and foremost.

To the OP: Enjoy your PS3. I'm sure there will be plenty of games coming out for it in the future and as for a cheap HD movie player, it can't be beat.

Dagless
May 11, 2007, 04:35 PM

I see what you mean, but a HD-DVD drive isn't necessary. It's entirely optional, just as the WiFi adapter is.

Anyroad. Whilst I was pricing everything up trying to spend the money burning a hole in my pocket, it would have cost me £430 for a PS3 and a game (and some crappy film, Taledia Nights?). It would have cost me £270 for a 360 with an extra controller, GoW and GRAW2. But I would have needed a VGA cable for the 360 or HDMI for the PS3, again, optional to most people.

We can all play the ceiling cost game all day. I'd have to buy a HDMI cable if I bought a PS3, just as some people might have to buy the HD-DVD drive or some might buy the PS3 remote control or the 360's racing wheel.
To go home, sit down and simply play a game the price difference between the 360 and PS3 is titanic. Which deepens the more I think about the features I won't be using.

Coded-Dude
May 11, 2007, 04:44 PM
Both consoles are also in different life cycles.
360 is seeing tons of BUNDLES and PS3 has virtually none.

once the AAA titles come out and we see production costs go down, price difference is go to be more rowboat-ish(and less titanic)

Yes, you pay more now, but that's the price of being an early adapter.
What did early 360 adapters get? ****** Hardware and just as few quality games as PS3 is seeing right now.
(a least I don't have to worry about this ring of death)

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/787/787565/ratchet-clank-future-tools-of-destruction-20070510114055561.jpg

Fezwick
May 11, 2007, 05:06 PM
I see what you mean, but a HD-DVD drive isn't necessary. It's entirely optional, just as the WiFi adapter is.

Anyroad. Whilst I was pricing everything up trying to spend the money burning a hole in my pocket, it would have cost me £430 for a PS3 and a game (and some crappy film, Taledia Nights?). It would have cost me £270 for a 360 with an extra controller, GoW and GRAW2. But I would have needed a VGA cable for the 360 or HDMI for the PS3, again, optional to most people.

We can all play the ceiling cost game all day. I'd have to buy a HDMI cable if I bought a PS3, just as some people might have to buy the HD-DVD drive or some might buy the PS3 remote control or the 360's racing wheel.
To go home, sit down and simply play a game the price difference between the 360 and PS3 is titanic. Which deepens the more I think about the features I won't be using.

Right. It comes down to what YOU would need personally. Microsoft and Sony's differ when it comes to selling hardware. Sony bundles all of the hardware together (Blu-Ray, wireless, larger HD), while Microsoft lets you pick and choose while keeping the initial cost of the system down (although this gap has closed a bit after the release of the Elite). Both ways work.

Although, I wish Microsoft would charge less for its peripherals. $100 for a wireless adapter is flat out robbery.

Dagless
May 11, 2007, 05:07 PM
Yea, once the PS3 has had a price drop so would the 360. And the Wii. Just as people keep saying "the PS3 will be number 1 when good games come out", as if other systems won't get price cuts in all departments as they pump out good games too.

Although, I wish Microsoft would charge less for its peripherals. $100 for a wireless adapter is flat out robbery.

According to the Xbox fanboys here, it isn't robbery and the HDD is well priced too.
Oh and the Elite is the biggest waste of a system update since the Mega Drive 2.

Coded-Dude
May 11, 2007, 05:10 PM
Okay, and Sony lets you pick/choose which software features you want to use/pay for, whilst Microsoft doesn't.
Being as Sony makes better hardware then MS makes software, I am happy with my choice.

For anybody that thinks hardware purchases are have a greater potential for long term costs than software....well, I would question your perspective.
(you only buy the hardware once, whilst software continues to nickel and dime you)

sikkinixx
May 11, 2007, 06:17 PM
to the OP: Just ignore the last 30 posts :p

Congrats on getting a PS3, it's a groovy console and has few great games despite what others may say. As long as YOU have fun with it, who cares about what people bicker about right? :D

Coded-Dude
May 11, 2007, 06:24 PM
thats what I've been trying to say, this is one excited user...and for good reason.
why would anyone want to ruin that is beyond me(actually its not, it makes perfect sense - trolls)
*i though these boards were modded better than previously*

My recommendations: Super Rub A Dub and Calling All Cars (from the PS-Store)
plenty of demos/vids as well.

Also, there are still plenty of excellent PS2 titles that you can enjoy
(old ones you never got to play or new ones that are still coming out)

MY PSN name is Coded-Dude, feel free to add me. i may be on this weekend playing Motorstom and/or Calling All Cars.

peace out buudy and enjoy that incredible piece of hardware

gloss
May 11, 2007, 06:24 PM
wow, I am on a T1 line and that image is loading horrifically, way to continue to ruin the thread jimmi.

I'm on cable and it loaded instantly. You should have a chat with your ISP.

Okay, and Sony lets you pick/choose which software features you want to use/pay for, whilst Microsoft doesn't.

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell this means.

peace out buudy and enjoy that incredible piece of hardware

Agreed. And good luck finding the software before 08.

zap2
May 11, 2007, 06:43 PM
so.......its okay for you to sub-classify PS3 parts(relevant or not) into the expense(longterm or short), but not the 360?
(go figure)

get me a PS3 with out blue-ray and I'd then we'll compare it

He was saying for gaming, which HD-DVD has no part in for the Xbox 360, the 360 is cheaper.

For me I wouldn't buy an HD format, so the lack of it is good, and saves me money. It doesn't make sense FOR ME, with only gaming on my mind, to view the Blue-Ray as a good thing, or uses the HD-DVD player in my price comparisions.

pseudobrit
May 11, 2007, 06:45 PM
I'm on cable and it loaded instantly. You should have a chat with your ISP.

I'm halfway across the country, on cable, and it was painfully slow to load up.

zap2
May 11, 2007, 06:47 PM
Oh and the Elite is the biggest waste of a system update since the Mega Drive 2.

Why because it doesn't suit you? Its a pretty good deal IMO...100Gbs, plus HDMI(big for some)r an extra 80bucks. Thats sounds like a good deal IMO, for someone who plans to use the Xbox 360 as their media center for the living room.

Me I don't need all that, or have an HDMI TV. That means the Pro Xbox 360 would be fine for me...that doesn't make the Elite a bad deal for ever one, just certain people.

Also what is up with all these over sized picture? There not need,ed and if you really want us to see them, post a link!

pseudobrit
May 11, 2007, 06:51 PM

Well that's great for you. Features you won't use. But it's a huge market with plenty of choices and there are plenty of buyers to whom your standards for what makes a system worth buying don't mean a damned thing.

But for some reason you feel the need to flesh out every possible aspect of every combination of needs/wants/technology where the PS3 looks like the poor choice, then transpose those situations onto the entire market.

Dagless
May 11, 2007, 07:17 PM
Well that's great for you. Features you won't use.

Well done! Congratulations on seeing the parts I said "I", in the post you quoted I referred only to myself I'll have you know. I said "some people" might need this, that or the other. Which is a totally fair assessment. Some people might.

So it seems you succeeded in what, fleshing out my original statement in which case I referred to myself. I don't need somebody repeating it thanks. ;)

and Re the Elite being poo- You fellas do know HDMI is going to wind up being in the Premium 360? I can't remember if the HDD is, but effectively you are paying extra to have a black finish. That is why it's a bad deal. An even more embarrassing deal if the 120gb is standard too. Unless you really wanted a Black 360, which is a very beautiful machine. Then the extra cost might be worth it to you.

sikkinixx
May 11, 2007, 07:45 PM
My recommendations: Super Rub A Dub and Calling All Cars (from the PS-Store)
plenty of demos/vids as well.

And Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo too, its a blast from the past (if you played the xbox original that is) and looks damn purdy to boot.

asxtb
May 11, 2007, 07:47 PM
Wow! Sorry to cause such hostility. I guess I should have known it was coming though. :rolleyes:

Each system is unique and each person has their own requirements. For me, I decided on the PS3 because I'll use the DVD/Blue-ray, the games are regionless (American in Japan, can buy both American and Japanese games), and I play mostly sports games. Most other games don't excite me. Some look interesting and I'll buy it but get bored with it within a week. So as for software being available... Football? Check. Baseball? Check. Basketball? Check? Racing? Check. Well, all the games I want to play are available, so any arguement that so games are available does not apply to me.

Whatever your preferences are, there will always be someone that thinks you're wrong.

And Coded-Dude: Thanks for the invite but I really won't do much multiplayer and probably won't even hook it up to the internet. But I'll keep you in mind if I ever do. Thanks though.

Haoshiro
May 11, 2007, 08:30 PM
(go figure)

You are still messed up in your comparisons of "life-cycle costs", and gloss is completely right - and a PS3 owner! :P

There is no extra accessories needed, so that is simply a moot point. Don't insult someone's "math" abilities when all you're data is theoretical.

I'm not going to buy a wi-fi adaptor for my 360, most people will probably never bother with the HD-DVD "add-on" either. So such comparisons are purely theoretical, hardly solid to base a theoretical comparison.

He even asked for you to show the long term analysis you spoke of, and you wouldn't. Why is that? You already know it's not derived, I'm guessing.

To the OP: Enjoy the system and congrats. Let us know which games you'll be playing that are already out, as you say. :)

GFLPraxis
May 11, 2007, 08:33 PM
Thats what they said about PS2 as well.......its future is certain, but the titles are a bit slow to come out right now.

The PS3's situation is nothing like the PS2.

- The PS3 costs twice as much as the PS2 did at launch
- The PS2 launched a year ahead of the Gamecube and Xbox. The PS3 launched a year AFTER the xbox 360 and 2 days before the Wii.
- Sony had exclusive contracts with third party developers who helped build the original Playstation's success. Said developers have gone multi-platform.

The future is very much uncertain for the PS3. Sales in Japan are terrible from a relative standpoint; incredibly, the PS3 is only selling about twice what the GameCube was selling last year each week. It's still selling well enough to be a viable platform (it's not going to disappear like the Dreamcast), but the future is very rocky, *especially* in the U.S. and *especially* when you consider how much money is being lost on the system.

At least in Japan there is a lot better software support.

I always believe one should get the system with the most games they'd enjoy. I'm sure the OP will enjoy his.

GFLPraxis
May 11, 2007, 08:38 PM
According to the Xbox fanboys here, it isn't robbery and the HDD is well priced too.

Reminds me of a good quote I saw online.

Another thing that the PS3's abysmal launch and pre-launch have done is obscure Microsoft's own mistakes. The 360 costs $400, its games cost $60, and its peripheral prices are ridiculous. $70 for a ****ing controller with the play and charge kit is insane, no matter if it's wireless and how good it is, to say nothing of a $100 wireless network dongle. They make you pay monthly to play online, the game selection is still pretty weak after a year, the failure rate is astronomical and coupled with a 90 day warranty and $140 repair cost. The hard drive is 20 GB in an era where 300-400 GB drives can be had for under one hundred dollars at retail. There's no HDMI and no 1080P support, and backwards compatibility is still lacking.

All of this looks positively spectacular compared to Sony's experiment in finding the limits of human stupidity, but it's still pretty dismal compared to previous successful consoles. Is it really all that surprising that the PS2 is still selling so well?

Some of these things have since been fixed (1080p support and the warranty was extended to a year), but it's still applicable and interesting.

mduser63
May 11, 2007, 08:59 PM
To the OP, have fun with your PS3. I got one a couple weeks ago and have been having a blast with it. I don't really care about this whole 360 vs. PS3 flame war going on in the thread. Both consoles seem like they're fun. I bought a PS3 because I wanted Blu-Ray and WiFi and the $130-$200 in price is really not that big of a deal to me. Plus I have a lot of PS2 games and a broken PS2 so the backward compatibility is a plus.

Enjoy it!

gloss
May 11, 2007, 10:10 PM
On the bright side of things I just listened to Dark Side of the Moon on my PS3 and the visualizer added an entirely new dimension of hallucination to the album.

gkarris
May 11, 2007, 11:09 PM
Hey it's all about the games. Enjoy your favs on the system.

I've always preferred "American" games, hence I like the XBox (an "American" system). Halo, Mech Assault, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.

The only Japanese games I really like are the Nintendo ones, hence I got a Wii and love it...

The Sony Japanese games have always been blah, blah for me...

ReanimationLP
May 12, 2007, 01:28 AM
Wow, another fanboy flame war.

You guys really need something else to argue and bicker like children about.

Its a ********** game console for cryin' out loud.

No wonder why they locked the old games forums up.

I mean, the guy was just sharing his excitement for buying himself a PlayStation3, and then poof, here comes the OMG PS3 VS Wii/360 fanboy war to destroy another thread.

Dont get me wrong, I like all of you guys here, but geez.

asxtb
May 12, 2007, 02:19 AM
Well, I got my PS3!!!:D :D :D

I got the DVD remote and I got Puroyakyu Spirt 4 (a Japanese baseball game). I must say my first impression is, I'm very impressed. Looking forward to getting some more games!

As for the games I'll be playing that are already out... Madden, MLB The Show or MLB2K7, Tiger Woods, Need for Speed, maybe an NBA game. And the one game that is not out yet is a NASCAR game.

risc
May 12, 2007, 02:36 AM
Congrats on getting your PS3. I'm loving my 1. I really love the region free-ness of the console. In Australia games cost AUD$100-AUD$120, I've been getting all of mine from North America for a lot less. :)

Dagless
May 12, 2007, 05:43 AM
Its a ********** game console for cryin' out loud.

Until X started stirring things up in the new forum it was all quite nice and dandy, backing up his flames with "well we did this in the old forum". Even I talk nice about other systems (Sega, PS1 et al).
Which is why I'm no longer going with the flow so the flamers will smoulder away.

And OP- Enjoy your system! May you waste countless hours on countless games with countless friends, fuelled by the best snack food and excitement and quietened down only by sleeping neighbours.

asxtb
May 12, 2007, 07:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Vodafone/1.0/V705SH/SHJ001 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Enjoy your system! May you waste countless hours on countless games with countless friends, fuelled by the best snack food and excitement and quietened down only by sleeping neighbours.

Isn't this what is all about? Who cares who has what or who likes what. It should be about fun with friends.

Dagless
May 12, 2007, 07:42 AM
Wirelessly posted (Vodafone/1.0/V705SH/SHJ001 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Isn't this what is all about? Who cares who has what or who likes what. It should be about fun with friends.

Exactly! That's all I use my game systems for :) one of the best party experiences I've had was when 14 mates from college (and my sister :p ) had a giant Halo 1 lan match. Bloody good stuff. Even had a designated driver 'cuz we ran out of standard controllers but still had a racing wheel left over :D good times. Also ran a whopping 64 player tournament in Smash Bros one college afternoon on a projector the size of a good cinema *le sigh*.

GFLPraxis
May 12, 2007, 11:19 AM
It's strange...I've found my enjoyment of single player games waning over time, the longer I game. I seem to keep going back to multiplayer...I haven't even finished Twilight Princess yet (though I've enjoyed the vast amount of time I put in to it), but I'm always having people over for multiplayer bashfests in various games.

nickster9224
May 12, 2007, 11:52 AM
There is no 20gb model anymore. But i would buy a 360, like a billion times better.

risc
May 12, 2007, 12:40 PM
I haven't been here for a while but I'm glad to see the thread crapping is the same as it ever was... :rolleyes:

sikkinixx
May 12, 2007, 01:12 PM
There is no 20gb model anymore. But i would buy a 360, like a billion times better.

Way to read the thread, he already bought it about a billion hours ago.

I got the DVD remote and I got Puroyakyu Spirt 4 (a Japanese baseball game). I must say my first impression is, I'm very impressed. Looking forward to getting some more games!

Thats the Playstation 3/BD Remote ;) DVD is SO last gen *I kid, I kid*

asxtb
May 12, 2007, 10:43 PM
You are wrong. There are 20GB models avalible. Sony pulled the 20GB in North America and perhaps a few other countries but they did not pull them in Japan.

And as Sikkinixx said, I already bought a new 20GB long before you posted.

Thats the Playstation 3/BD Remote ;) DVD is SO last gen *I kid, I kid*
Please accept my apologies. But actually it is the BD Remote Control :p Still works with DVDs though. :D

Mr. MacBook
May 12, 2007, 10:56 PM
Ps3 is great and all, but it's kinda pricey and loses to the wii in overall fun.

i found a post on urban dictionary

hey did u get the xbox 360 with halo or the wii with zelda?

no my mom got me a computer that only plays car games, spyro and crash bandicoot

nickster9224
May 12, 2007, 11:04 PM

As for the games I'll be playing that are already out... Madden, MLB The Show or MLB2K7, Tiger Woods, Need for Speed, maybe an NBA game. And the one game that is not out yet is a NASCAR game.

Nascar 08 is coming out in mid july in US, not sure about japan though

asxtb
May 13, 2007, 09:18 AM
Well, I've had fun with my PS3 this weekend. Just need some more games, but need money to do that. :o

Got a couple of questions! Typically, how long does the controller battery last? And does anyone know of any 'cute' and fun game for my girlfriend? Something similar to Mario? She's gotten jealous of me playing baseball all weekend and she wants a game that she can play too. Preferrably something we can play together. Again, I play mostly sports games so I really don't know what other good games are out there. Thanks for the further help.

asxtb
May 13, 2007, 09:20 AM
Ps3 is great and all, but it's kinda pricey and loses to the wii in overall fun.

i found a post on urban dictionary

hey did u get the xbox 360 with halo or the wii with zelda?

no my mom got me a computer that only plays car games, spyro and crash bandicoot
What are you talking about? Did you post in the right thread? :confused:

Dagless
May 13, 2007, 09:59 AM
And does anyone know of any 'cute' and fun game for my girlfriend? Something similar to Mario?

I think you bought the wrong system, the PS3 is for mature people :D *I kid*

Funnily enough the 2 games I would have advised have already been mentioned - Spyro and Crash Bandicoot are fairly adequate "cute" games, though chock full of recycled gameplay. Then again I don't even know if they're still going. Croc still going too? Had them back on the PS1.

Coded-Dude
May 13, 2007, 12:34 PM
download the Ratchet & Clank video and show it to her.....it won't be out until later this year, but I'm and sure you'll both love it.
Also, there are literally thousands of PS2 games(new and old) that both of you can also enjoy on the PS3. Greatest Hits games are onyl like $20.

gkarris
May 14, 2007, 08:45 AM
I haven't been here for a while but I'm glad to see the thread crapping is the same as it ever was... :rolleyes:

... and remember, please thread crap responsibly...

If Sony does a price drop for this Christmas, and puts out more games and movies - the PS3 will take off...

I agree with a lot of reviewers, PS3 was just a year ahead of its time...

asxtb
May 15, 2007, 07:19 AM
No one can answer my question about the battery life of the controller? :( How long does it typically last?

Also, 'nother question. Gran Turismo 4, Need for Speed: Carbon, Ridge Racer 7... which is the best? Just bought GT4 (for PS2, it was cheap) but I've been looking at either NFS or RR for the PS3. Which is better? Especially for single player? Also if you think GT4 is better, please tell me. I'll just stick with that if it is the best of the 3.

Again thanks for the help! :D

Dagless
May 15, 2007, 07:27 AM
I spent a few days, probably totalled 5 hours with a PS3 and the battery didn't go. So it lasts longer than 5 hours! Also, I think the lack of rumble will really push the battery life longer.

ChrisK018
May 15, 2007, 10:02 AM
I have not seen any 'cute' games out for the PS3 yet, but you could pick up Katamari for the PS2 for pretty cheap(?)

e≤Studios
May 15, 2007, 10:41 AM
I have not seen any 'cute' games out for the PS3 yet, but you could pick up Katamari for the PS2 for pretty cheap(?)

Super Rub A Dub marks high on the "cute" scale

Ed

whooleytoo
May 23, 2007, 09:23 AM
And does anyone know of any 'cute' and fun game for my girlfriend? Something similar to Mario? She's gotten jealous of me playing baseball all weekend and she wants a game that she can play too. Preferrably something we can play together. Again, I play mostly sports games so I really don't know what other good games are out there. Thanks for the further help.

Little Big Planet sounds ideal (especially if you want to play together), though that's not out for quite a while.

Coded-Dude
May 23, 2007, 10:08 AM
Q1 2008

whooleytoo
May 23, 2007, 10:10 AM
Q1 2008

Wow, that IS quite a while! ;)

That's surprising, given how polished the demos so far have looked, you'd think the release date was sooner.

Coded-Dude
May 23, 2007, 10:13 AM
Honestly, I think we may see it sooner on PSN. ;)
But, most media sites(etc) have been told and are reporting a Q108 release.

That date may just be for the Blu-Ray version. (with Top Rated User Levels included)