PDA

View Full Version : Doctor finds spiders in ear of boy with earache

MacNut
May 15, 2007, 01:31 AM
ALBANY, Oregon (AP) -- These guys were not exactly Snap, Crackle and Pop.

What began as a faint popping in a 9-year-old boy's ear -- "like Rice Krispies" -- ended up as an earache, and the doctor's diagnosis was that a pair of spiders made a home in the ear.

"They were walking on my eardrums," Jesse Courtney said.(Watch how an earache led to the creepy discovery )

One of the spiders was still alive after the doctor flushed the fourth-grader's left ear canal. His mother, Diane Courtney, said her son insisted he kept hearing a faint popping in his ear -- "like Rice Krispies."

Dr. David Irvine said it looked like the boy had something in his ear when he examined him.

When he irrigated the ear, the first spider came out, dead. The other spider took a second dousing before it emerged, still alive. Both were about the size of a pencil eraser.

Jesse was given the spiders -- now both dead -- as a souvenir. He has taken them to school and his mother has taken them to work.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/05/07/spiderboy.ap/index.html

janey
May 15, 2007, 01:32 AM
i *&^$ing hate spiders.

This isn't gonna help me sleep tonight at all :D

MacNut
May 15, 2007, 01:35 AM
i *&^$ing hate spiders.

This isn't gonna help me sleep tonight at all :DAt least the spider web in your ear will stop bugs.:p

SkyBell
May 15, 2007, 01:44 AM
Wow, this was on my local news station about 3 weeks ago.

I guess even in the internet age, news doesn't travel very fast.:)

Osarkon
May 15, 2007, 05:50 AM
Urgh. I can't stand spiders. I think i'd completely freak if I found out 2 were living in my ear. Although it would help with the ear wax, heh.

janey
May 15, 2007, 05:56 AM
At least the spider web in your ear will stop bugs.:p

it's 4am. i'm still not sleeping.

nightmares of spiders :D

Counterfit
May 15, 2007, 10:23 AM
A moth flew into my cousin's ear once. I always enjoy making him tell that story. :D

iKwick7
May 15, 2007, 11:11 AM
Well at least the spiders didn't lay eggs in there. I think I've read a story about something like that once.

angelneo
May 15, 2007, 11:33 AM
cue for House MD. :D

I remember there's one episode where a cockroach was in the ear.

Dave00
May 15, 2007, 01:11 PM
If you see enough kids in health care, you see all kinds of stuff pulled from ears (and noses). Little army men, pits of cherries and other fruits, and yes, insects.

FrankBlack
May 15, 2007, 05:54 PM
The Stuff of which Urban legends are made.. :eek:

miniConvert
May 15, 2007, 05:56 PM
He has taken them to school
I can understand. You know kids.
and his mother has taken them to work.
This I can't. WTF??

joepunk
May 15, 2007, 06:25 PM
Reminds me of the film "Mountains of the Moon"
One of the explorers gets creepy crawlies(sp?) in his ear and he does a stupid thing of pouring candle wax down his ear.

Foxglove9
May 16, 2007, 12:16 AM
Ugh, the thought of that happening and the details provided makes me very uncomfortable. I wish I didn't have such a fear of insects, especially ones that could possible burrow inside my ear canal.

Kamera RAWr
May 16, 2007, 03:17 AM
Was the roach in the ear thing on House too? I seem to remember seeing that on an episode of ER a long time ago... Carter smashed it with his foot after taking out :eek: . If I remember correctly.

SpaceMagic
May 16, 2007, 05:56 AM
That is sooo friggin horrible! Argh! I'm gunna wear earplugs to bed.

Definitely a House MD episode.

Father Jack
May 16, 2007, 06:03 AM
Horrible as this is ....... at least the ear drum stopped it from venturing further in :eek:

Just think what damage some sort of munching beetle could do if it cut a hole in the ear drum and decided to investigate what is beyond :eek: :eek:

OMG I just given myself the feckin shivers.

FJ

n8mac
May 16, 2007, 06:35 AM
Horrible as this is ....... at least the ear drum stopped it from venturing further in :eek:

Just think what damage some sort of munching beetle could do if it cut a hole in the ear drum and decided to investigate what is beyond

When I was a kid my older brother told me a story about earwigs (a small insect which had pinchers that may be called something else in your area). He said they were called earwigs because a long time ago they crawled into a mans ear and ate his brain.

Then one summer day while sitting in the backyard in a lawn chair possibly over a nest of them, a bunch of earwigs crawled on me while I was sleeping. I woke up and started running as they were pinching me. I ran into the house screaming. My brother never laughed so hard.

The funny thing is is when I was young I tortured bugs like spiders. I pulled their legs off with tweasers, froze them, burnt them, and put one in a jar full of large ants. But that story got to me and I always stayed away from earwigs. Its like they were miniature scorpions. I still can't stand them to this day.:eek:

Lord Blackadder
May 16, 2007, 03:27 PM
I'm loving the adds being generated on this page. :D

FrankBlack
May 16, 2007, 06:28 PM
Actually, I'm remembering an old episode of Night Gallery, one where a guy get's a bug placed in his ear. It burrows into his brain, causing agonizing pain, and eventually, madness.

Eventually, the bug crawls out the other ear, and the guy survives. But,, (and I love this bit) The bug was female. It laid eggs. Thousands of them. The closing shot, the look of sheer terror and horror on this guy's face.. What an episode!

mcarnes
May 16, 2007, 09:44 PM
When I was a kid my older brother told me a story about earwigs (a small insect which had pinchers that may be called something else in your area). He said they were called earwigs because a long time ago they crawled into a mans ear and ate his brain.

Enjoy. :p

http://www.uos.harvard.edu/images/ehs/pest/earwig/earwig_closeup.jpg

Father Jack
May 17, 2007, 05:16 AM

Then one summer day while sitting in the backyard in a lawn chair possibly over a nest of them, a bunch of earwigs crawled on me while I was sleeping. I woke up and started running as they were pinching me. I ran into the house screaming. My brother never laughed so hard.

The funny thing is is when I was young I tortured bugs like spiders. I pulled their legs off with tweasers, froze them, burnt them, and put one in a jar full of large ants. But that story got to me and I always stayed away from earwigs. Its like they were miniature scorpions. I still can't stand them to this day.:eek:
Yuuuuukkkkkkk :eek:

FJ

FrankBlack
May 20, 2007, 01:57 PM
Enjoy. :p

http://www.uos.harvard.edu/images/ehs/pest/earwig/earwig_closeup.jpg

Nice! :eek:

That episode of Night Gallery I mentioned is called The Caterpillar (http://www.nightgallery.net/index.html?welcome.html&2)

I'm sure Thomas Veil remembers this one. :D Right Tom?

true777
May 21, 2007, 12:14 PM
When I was about 11 the boys in my school used to catch flies and release them very close to girls' ears so that girls would hear this super loud buzz when the fly would fly away right next to the girl's ear.

One day a boy did that on me, and instead of flying away, the fly flew INTO MY EAR. It was buzzing around inside my ear for about an hour.

It was HORRIBLE. It felt like my whole brain was vibrating, and the sound was incredibly loud. I was terrified. The teacher sent me to the school doctor who made me jump up and down for a while with my head tilted, and after a few minutes of this the fly luckily came flying out of my ear.

It was a horrifying experience that I won't recommend to anyone. I can still feel the awful vibration in my brain when I think of it.

mcarnes
May 21, 2007, 12:50 PM
The teacher sent me to the school doctor who made me jump up and down for a while with my head tilted, and after a few minutes of this the fly luckily came flying out of my ear.

:p I'll have to remember that one. I would have just done an irrigation, but that sounds a lot more creative.