PDA

View Full Version : grungey look forth rail bridge

yagran
May 15, 2007, 05:31 PM
ok so im not a proffesional by any means, its just a new hobby. i love taking photos of big landscapes and great engineering achievements i guess, anything i look at and think wow.

anyways, i made a kinda grungey look on one of my pictures and i just wanted some feedback on what you think of it, it wasnt taken on an expensive camera or anything like that because i havent got the money :(, i took it a couple of weekends ago when i was visitng friends up in scotland, they took us to a lil restaurant overlooking the river so i snapped a pic of the view! ive attached the original (shrunk down) and my dark processed version

thnx for looking

compuwar
May 15, 2007, 05:42 PM
ok so im not a proffesional by any means, its just a new hobby. i love taking photos of big landscapes and great engineering achievements i guess, anything i look at and think wow.

anyways, i made a kinda grungey look on one of my pictures and i just wanted some feedback on what you think of it, it wasnt taken on an expensive camera or anything like that because i havent got the money :(, i took it a couple of weekends ago when i was visitng friends up in scotland, they took us to a lil restaurant overlooking the river so i snapped a pic of the view! ive attached the original (shrunk down) and my dark processed version

thnx for looking

You might try cropping out 1/3rd of the sky at the top, the eye is drawn to the lightest points in an image first, and in this case it spends a bit too much time wandering around the empty sky instead of the moody bridge. I think that'd get more of the effect you're trying for, which I like in this image.

Westside guy
May 15, 2007, 07:12 PM
Just speaking for myself - I like it as-is.

yagran
May 15, 2007, 07:15 PM
ok thanks for the tips.

i made the sky smaller, so its a kinda really wide photo, looks cooler.

i made two versions, one dark, and one lighter, which one looks best do you rekon?

do you think this photo is actually any good at all?

yagran
May 15, 2007, 07:17 PM
Just speaking for myself - I like it as-is.

do you mean the original photo? because i agree it looks beutiful, its a great bridge, but i thought id try and process it abit and change the mood

compuwar
May 15, 2007, 07:28 PM
ok thanks for the tips.

i made the sky smaller, so its a kinda really wide photo, looks cooler.

i made two versions, one dark, and one lighter, which one looks best do you rekon?

do you think this photo is actually any good at all?

I like the lighter one. It's really diffcult to evaluate if it's good at this size, but I can see how it would be! I much prefer the cropped version.

yagran
May 15, 2007, 07:35 PM
heres another phto of mine that i took in turks and caicos (caribbean) i modded the colours and mood again, i like it although i dont think its as pretty as the bridge

Westside guy
May 15, 2007, 07:50 PM
do you mean the original photo? because i agree it looks beutiful, its a great bridge, but i thought id try and process it abit and change the mood

Edit #2: :D Argh, I don't seem to be saying what I'm trying to say! hehehe I must be caffeine deprived.

I really like the framing as-is with the original photo.

With the processed versions, I think I agree with compuwar - it's more consistent with the way you seem to want it to "feel".

But I really like the original (absent the white blotches) very much.

seenew
May 15, 2007, 11:00 PM
The original crop has a more balanced composition, with the weight of the bridge having a nice sense of gravity, being in the lower portion. I like the original crop better. Nice mood changes, though.