PDA

View Full Version : Okay... Gave it a Try... And it Sucks

Digital Skunk
May 16, 2007, 01:05 AM
eMusic sucks! I don't care about those subscription heads out there... eMusic just sucks if you want real albums and music. My girlfriend bought the Dreamgirls Deluxe album for $17 it and it have 38 songs (actual songs) on it. eMusic would have had me download my entire months worth of songs and then some. No album art, no digital booklet or any other cutsey stuff. Unlike what some ignorant subcription fanboys claimed, you will have to pay a reoccuring subcription... it is NOT a one time payment. They want you to sign up for the service just to get the free downloads, then when you try to cancel your subscription they badger you to stay...

And MAN does the selection SUCK! You can't find some stuff on iTunes, but the selecton at eMusic is even more limited. Not to mention that searching for something on their site just SUCKS! :mad:

Give me iTunes and actual CDs any day... eMusic is terrible.

Any thoughts? :p

someguy
May 16, 2007, 01:09 AM
Okay... Gave it a Try... And it Sucks.

eMusic sucks! ...eMusic just sucks... And MAN does the selection SUCK!... Not to mention that searching for something on their site just SUCKS!

Any thoughts?

Your review of eMusic SUCKS!

Digital Skunk
May 16, 2007, 01:12 AM

Okay... I tried searching for My Chemical Romance and all I get is some crappy string quartet tribute...

Try it yourself... the selection is extremely limited... so I would have noting to spend my 30 downloads on. And since they don't roll over I would be waisting my money if I don't just download something.

iTunes is just a better choice, and without the need for the constant upkeep of my subscription.

Oh yeah... I said thoughts.... not brain farts.

MacNut
May 16, 2007, 01:15 AM
Call me old fashioned but I still like to buy CD's.

iMeowbot
May 16, 2007, 01:19 AM
Yes, the emusic library is kind of weak, but if what they carry happens to be what you're looking for, I suppose that wouldn't be a problem (FWIW, they didn't have much of what I want).

On the subscription thing: No, it's not like the other subscription services. What you download are unprotected MP3 files, they will keep playing even if you don't renew the service. The subscription tracks from Yahoo, Rhapsody etc. stop working if you don't keep up the subscription. Big difference.

On the nagging if you cancel? Whatever, magazines etc. have been doing that forever, it's expected.

Digital Skunk
May 16, 2007, 01:20 AM

That isn't old fashioned it nostalgic. Like those people who drive around in Ford Model Ts. I am pretty sure there is somebody out there buying LPs and playing them on record players.

FadeToBlack
May 16, 2007, 01:20 AM

Same here.

I do think the iTMS is the best digital music store, though, from what I've seen. I'd just rather have the actual CD and be able to do what I want with it.

apfhex
May 16, 2007, 01:40 AM
:D

I tried out the eMusic trial... 25 songs for free... I enjoyed it, but cancelled within the free time limit after I found 25 tracks that I wanted. No, they don't have a lot, but OTOH I don't give a **** about bands like My Chemical Romance. Barf.

What you do get over iTunes is high quality DRM free files. I like that.

iTunes is only now starting to get any bands I have an interest in. There are a few albums that just got added in the last few months that I'd love to buy, but I really don't care for the DRM, but I might get them anyway since the alternative is extremely expensive imports.

Digital Skunk
May 16, 2007, 02:34 AM
:D

I tried out the eMusic trial... 25 songs for free... I enjoyed it, but cancelled within the free time limit after I found 25 tracks that I wanted. No, they don't have a lot, but OTOH I don't give a **** about bands like My Chemical Romance. Barf.

What you do get over iTunes is high quality DRM free files. I like that.

iTunes is only now starting to get any bands I have an interest in. There are a few albums that just got added in the last few months that I'd love to buy, but I really don't care for the DRM, but I might get them anyway since the alternative is extremely expensive imports.

I guess it all depends on what music you want and which one offers that genre... all the music on eMusic seemed like suburbian alternative garbage. barf. I could care less about that stuff. I couldn't even find 25 good tracks to download that I already had. The rest was done by some backyard rich surburbia garage band with too much time on their hands and an Apple laptop. Either that or screaming to the top of your lungs head banger music.

DRM is a tad bit over-rated. It is annoying but I have no real reason to really get rid of it and if I need to (like to give it to someone) I will burn a CD of it anyway and that gets rid of DRM with no hassel. I am not an audiophile HiFi junky so I can't tell the difference. The eMusic stuff sounded just as terrible as the iTunes stuff.

I guess it's all about what you can find and what you can stand listening to.

bartelby
May 16, 2007, 02:39 AM
I love emusic.
I've been a subscriber for over 5 years.

As everything goes on iTunes & iPod a booklet is pointless and album art is easy to find.

Digital Skunk
May 16, 2007, 02:53 AM
I love emusic.
I've been a subscriber for over 5 years.

As everything goes on iTunes & iPod a booklet is pointless and album art is easy to find.

Just like the music on eMusic, but I agree with the album art. When I copy music from a friends CD I usually have to find the album art on Google.

spydr
May 16, 2007, 06:59 AM
I second that emusic sucks - or rather their hideous and unscrupulous act of making you sign up with your credit card for a recurrent subscription in order to download some "free" songs, sucks. Yeah I know there is no such thing as free lunch - but I don't enjoy getting bitten in the arse.
:mad:

psychofreak
May 16, 2007, 07:03 AM
That isn't old fashioned it nostalgic. Like those people who drive around in Ford Model Ts. I am pretty sure there is somebody out there buying LPs and playing them on record players.

So...I want my non-EMI music at more than crappy 128kbps...am I nostalgic for buying CDs?

bartelby
May 16, 2007, 07:03 AM
I second that emusic sucks - or rather their hideous and unscrupulous act of making you sign up with your credit card for a recurrent subscription in order to download some "free" songs, sucks. Yeah I know there is no such thing as free lunch - but I don't enjoy getting bitten in the arse.
:mad:

How is it unscrupulous?

You sign up, download free tracks and cancel your account?

mwpeters8182
May 16, 2007, 08:44 AM
I really like eMusic - I can usually find a couple of albums that I want with my subscription. There have been a couple months where I haven't, but there have also been some where I've wanted to buy more than I've paid for.

PreacherKane
May 16, 2007, 09:12 AM

Easy there, tiger. That's me you're talking about. Yes I still buy vinyl and I still have a record player.:p

bartelby
May 16, 2007, 09:15 AM
Easy there, tiger. That's me you're talking about. Yes I still buy vinyl and I still have a record player.:p

Me too.
I buy more vinyl than CDs

PreacherKane
May 16, 2007, 09:40 AM
I also have a large collection of my fathers vinyl, going back fifty years.:D

Digital Skunk
May 16, 2007, 09:47 AM
So...I want my non-EMI music at more than crappy 128kbps...am I nostalgic for buying CDs?

obviously yes.... just like the car guy who wants a carburetor in favor of fuel injection...

what's the problem with being nostalgic... ? :confused:

Digital Skunk
May 16, 2007, 09:58 AM

- - Yawn - -

I still have a record player that is way older than yours... how do I know... it's sitting in the corner of my basement, it's 2.5' high, 2' deep and 6' wide with built in FM radio... yes it still works... yes I put a vinyl on it every once in a while...

I don't see the problem with nostalgic?

Let's see... nostalgic: a sentimental longing or wishful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations. Last time I checked plenty of people (that have had good moments in life in the past) may have wanted to keep something from that time period to remind them of those times.... so what the heck is so insulting about buying CDs and calling it nostalgic.

Getting of topic by the way. eMusic isn't as cracked up as some people make it. I haven't bought any new music in a few months, it would be too complicated and tedious to have to cancel my subscription to eMusic, then keep searching to see if they have a new album or song then sign back up for a month just to get it. And yes... I have no idea what iTunes music is encoded at... could someone tell me the big difference between eMusic's bitrate and iTunes Store's bitrate without insulting me or getting upset that I asked?

Lovesong
May 16, 2007, 10:08 AM
obviously yes.... just like the car guy who wants a carburetor in favor of fuel injection...

what's the problem with being nostalgic... ? :confused:

Uber Geek,
Thou shall not call another Uber Geek technologically-declined.

Signed,
Uber Geek

brooksfow
May 16, 2007, 10:59 AM
I'll agree that eMusic is kind of crappy. I first signed up back in 2002 and it was $9.99 per month for unlimited downloads. I loaded up on some good, older jazz, blues, & soul. They never really did get any good new music and almost all of their featured artists are obscure. I tried some of the unheralded artists, but ended up trashing the files anyway.

This thread and the typing of my reply made me go back and look at eMusic's catalog and things seem pretty much the same. I was surprised that they've kept my history. I discovered that I spent $9.99 for three months and downloaded over 200 artists - mostly entire albums when available.

I guess I didn't think it was that crappy at the time, but who could argue with cheap, unlimited downloads. Obviously those days are long gone. Then again, the fact that I exhausted my interests in only three months might indicate what I still think to be a limited selection.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I'm getting nostalgic for 2002 eMusic.

bartelby
May 16, 2007, 11:02 AM
...almost all of their featured artists are obscure.

Which is why I love it!!
Lots and lots of interesting music. None of that bland crap that the charts are made up of.

brooksfow
May 16, 2007, 12:47 PM
Which is why I love it!!
Lots and lots of interesting music. None of that bland crap that the charts are made up of.

I may have to give it another go. I, too, am not so interested in much of the chart topping music. I recall trying to filter through some of the eMusic stuff with little success, though. However, my last experience was 2002-2003. I suppose four years later things must have improved, especially with technology making good tunes by lesser known artists cheaper to produce and more readily available. I guess by obscure I meant even more obscure than what I was used to.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone remember audiogalaxy before it was taken over by Real Player/Rhapsody? I had to ask because I'd been racking my brain to come up with the name 'audiogalaxy' for almost two hours.

Digital Skunk
May 16, 2007, 01:57 PM
I'll agree that eMusic is kind of crappy. I first signed up back in 2002 and it was $9.99 per month for unlimited downloads. I loaded up on some good, older jazz, blues, & soul. They never really did get any good new music and almost all of their featured artists are obscure. I tried some of the unheralded artists, but ended up trashing the files anyway.

This thread and the typing of my reply made me go back and look at eMusic's catalog and things seem pretty much the same. I was surprised that they've kept my history. I discovered that I spent $9.99 for three months and downloaded over 200 artists - mostly entire albums when available.

I guess I didn't think it was that crappy at the time, but who could argue with cheap, unlimited downloads. Obviously those days are long gone. Then again, the fact that I exhausted my interests in only three months might indicate what I still think to be a limited selection.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I'm getting nostalgic for 2002 eMusic.

The $10 for unlimited sounds nice... I guess they were pressured by music companies to raise the price/lower the download limit. Nothing wrong with cheap unlimited downloads if there is no hassle tied to it. I did try looking for a particular song by Tiffany on eMusic's catalog... couldn't find it, but then again I couldn't find it anywhere else for that matter.

Which is why I love it!!

I hate the charts as well, which is why I don't understand why some people want a radio tuner built into the iPod (I guess for AM and tallk radio). There are some small bands in my neighborhood that have good music as well, but some of the obscure bands have obnoxious music. If I can't understand what they are saying then it makes it harder for me to like the music... or if they are singing about political or social topics I don't agree with. MCR, Evanescence, and Outkast may not have that certain obscureness to them that other local bands may have, but at least I know that I can expect good music from them.

And this multi-quote thing is pretty cool when you want to respond to people on the same page.

japanime
May 16, 2007, 05:42 PM
eMusic sucks! I don't care about those subscription heads out there... eMusic just sucks if you want real albums and music. My girlfriend bought the Dreamgirls Deluxe album for $17 it and it have 38 songs (actual songs) on it. eMusic would have had me download my entire months worth of songs and then some. No album art, no digital booklet or any other cutsey stuff. Unlike what some ignorant subcription fanboys claimed, you will have to pay a reoccuring subcription... it is NOT a one time payment. They want you to sign up for the service just to get the free downloads, then when you try to cancel your subscription they badger you to stay...

And MAN does the selection SUCK! You can't find some stuff on iTunes, but the selecton at eMusic is even more limited. Not to mention that searching for something on their site just SUCKS! :mad:

Give me iTunes and actual CDs any day... eMusic is terrible.

Any thoughts? :p

eMusic may not be for everyone, but to say it SUCKS is like saying the people who like it also SUCK.

And I think THAT sucks. (I really like lots of the music offered on eMusic.)

To each his/her own.

Digital Skunk
May 16, 2007, 06:29 PM
eMusic may not be for everyone, but to say it SUCKS is like saying the people who like it also SUCK.

And I think THAT sucks. (I really like lots of the music offered on eMusic.)

To each his/her own.

I don't think anyone took it that seriously... loosen up, what's your problem?

People use Windows machines everyday and plenty of people say they suck. That in no way means the people that use it also suck. My mom uses a windows machine at her job and I am not saying that she sucks. And if you want to use bad products then as you say to each his/her own; but to think like you do is just insane.

dantethescrub
May 16, 2007, 09:05 PM
Depends what you're looking for. emusic does NOT have ANY major-label recordings, some of which are superb, essential. Or if you want an album that's a lot of short songs, buy it elsewhere. They have a large selection of independent and obscure stuff.

I'm sticking with emusic for a while -- under an older deal, 40 tracks/10 bucks -- mostly to mine their jazz section. Unlike iTunes and others, 1 song is always 1 track/1 download, and lots of complete jazz records are 2 to 6 tracks. Again, no majors like Columbia or Blue Note. But they've got the Miles Davis Quintet sessions from 1956 (Workin', Steamin', et al.) that should be mandatory in any music lover's library, and a steal at ~ $2 per album.

Downsides include remembering to use up all your downloads each month, no cover art and variable liner notes, and lack of major-label albums. Upsides include cheap per song, new discoveries, and lack of major-label albums.

reubs
May 16, 2007, 11:05 PM
Maybe it's been said, but of course it sucks if you're a fan of Top 40 music and the new Gwen Stefani album.

However, if you are looking to try out new music or get some stuff that is really hard to find (Unicorns, Neutral Milk Hotel, etc) it's a great sites w/ some hella good bargains.

McBeats
May 17, 2007, 12:42 AM
it'll take an awful lot of work to kill vinyl in the field of music that i participate in.

vinyl still thrives in certain scenes if u look hard enough.

128kbps is garbage, gimme 320s.

truth is many people arent audiophiles like many of us, and they not only dont care but they just couldnt tell a difference between the two.
they just look at "oh its 128, i can fit more songs on my (insert music device here)"

u see people ripping 96k mp3s, and that is just god awful.
i understand talk shows or somehting, but not music at 96k

LoganT
May 17, 2007, 01:28 AM
I'm not a fan of the Top 40 stuff. But I still couldn't find what I like, like

Chemical Brothers
Fatboy Slim
Massive Attack
Propellerheads.

Although I'm very happy that I was able to get the Junkie XL SSX Blur soundtrack. The only other place I could find it was iTunes.

synth3tik
May 17, 2007, 01:42 AM

me too. I have my shelf of vinyls right next to my 8 bay SATA chassis that holds my iTunes stuff.
:p

bartelby
May 17, 2007, 01:43 AM
I hate the charts as well, which is why I don't understand why some people want a radio tuner built into the iPod (I guess for AM and tallk radio). There are some small bands in my neighborhood that have good music as well, but some of the obscure bands have obnoxious music. If I can't understand what they are saying then it makes it harder for me to like the music... or if they are singing about political or social topics I don't agree with. MCR, Evanescence, and Outkast may not have that certain obscureness to them that other local bands may have, but at least I know that I can expect good music from them.

I'd hate it if iPods got a integrated radios!!

I'm really into experimental and noise music and there's quite a lot of that on emusic so it's perfect for me. Acts such as:
Merzbow
Boris
SunnO)))
SkullFlower
Scorn

Plus there's the whole Dischord Records and a huge chunk of the Earache back catalogues on there. My 65 downloads a month are generally used within 2 days.

Cindynjgirl79
May 17, 2007, 02:34 AM
Unlike what some ignorant subcription fanboys claimed, you will have to pay a reoccuring subcription... it is NOT a one time payment. They want you to sign up for the service just to get the free downloads, then when you try to cancel your subscription they badger you to stay...

:p
yeah it does stink, they have nothing! oh and nice fanboy reference, kevin smith fan?

Digital Skunk
May 17, 2007, 07:52 AM
Sorry.... I am not an audiophile here.... so could some audiophile tell me some of the noticeable changes between 128 kbps and 320 kbps.

bartelby
May 17, 2007, 07:55 AM
Sorry.... I am not an audiophile here.... so could some audiophile tell me some of the noticeable changes between 128 kbps and 320 kbps.

High frequencies sound swirly and like it's playing through water and low frequencies sound grainy.

jsw
May 17, 2007, 08:16 AM
It depends enormously on a few things: what you're listening to what you're listening with how good your hearing is

320 kbps encodes a lot more information and so provides a much more accurate "picture" of the original recording. Of course, for that to matter, the original recording must be of sufficient quality that 128kbps would show noticeable differences - for example, voice recordings won't, for the most part, sound all that different between 128kbps and 320kbps.

You also need to be listening with equipment that'll let you discern the differences. Audiophile equipment will clearly provide proof of the quality improvement (given that the above requirements are met). Decent speakers on decent equipment will likely show the differences. So will good headphones. Apple's default headphones on an iPod? Probably not, for most music, for most people.

Finally, you need discerning enough hearing in the first place. Some people really care about the differences, and others couldn't care less or can't hear well enough to tell.

It's similar to SD vs HD in television. A good nature show on PBS complete rules on HD vs SD if you're watching on a decently large TV. But... an old Star Trek is going to look the same on both. And even the PBS nature show might not look all that much better to some people (either because they just don't care or because their sight is limited).

The best thing to do is to take a song which is typical of what you listen to and rip it off a CD in 128 and 320. See if you can tell any significant (to you) difference on your equipment. If not, 128kbs is fine for you.

psychofreak
May 17, 2007, 08:23 AM
I rip some stuff in 320kbps and some in 192kbps, depending on if I can tell the difference...for example, recently, I imported a Feeder CD at 320, and Art Brut at 192, because I couldn't tell the difference at a higher bitrate with Art Brut :)

xyian
May 17, 2007, 09:37 AM

I second this! C'mon. If you don't like it, go to iTunes Store. If you don't like that, support your local independent music store if you love the cover art. It's a dieing thing, the cover art, but some people still cherish it.

I, myself, have tried eMusic and actually preferred it to iTunes Store but I also would rather have the option of a cd. Besides, I thought eMusic was good because there is a lot of music you could sample and test the waters with which you would have to spend hours doing at your local music store. Even with that, I doubt any of the cool kids working there are going to give you suggestions.

McBeats
May 31, 2007, 06:44 PM
I'm not a fan of the Top 40 stuff. But I still couldn't find what I like, like

Chemical Brothers
Fatboy Slim
Massive Attack
Propellerheads.

Although I'm very happy that I was able to get the Junkie XL SSX Blur soundtrack. The only other place I could find it was iTunes.

Excellent Taste my friend!
Have you tried Beatport or Trackitdown.com?

Draythor
Jun 1, 2007, 11:11 AM

Old fashioned... same here to be honest. I went to look up lyrics in the new killers album. was halfway through my stack of CD's before realising that it only existed on the lappy...harsh times to get through:D