PDA

View Full Version : The G5 Look

Nobs
Jun 24, 2003, 10:56 PM
I know I put myself at risk here, but am I the only one who thought the new design of the G5 wasn't that great? I think it looks too utilitarian and not aesthetic at all.

I understand that there are some cooling issues with the aluminum body, but I have to admit, I was a but disappointed by the look.

Anyone else in this camp?

tpjunkie
Jun 24, 2003, 11:04 PM
I feel that its only "ok" I've seen designs from apple that have made me go "Wow," and this just isn't one of them. Of course, i thought the original iMac wasn't too great looking, but it did fairly well I'd say

Nobs
Jun 24, 2003, 11:13 PM
I dunno. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see one up close. But even the reaction at WWDC seemed pretty lukewarm, when it appeared on stage for the first time.

zimv20
Jun 24, 2003, 11:13 PM
couple of threads on this already. check out this recent one (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=397210)

rainman::|:|
Jun 24, 2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Nobs
I think it looks too utilitarian and not aesthetic at all.

see, that's the point... It's aesthetic is to appeal to the loft generation; a high-style decor with industrial or utilitarian components. It's supposed to look like a semi-generic computer from somewhere in the distant future... and yet a bit retromod too...

i'm actually hoping this design stays long enough to get a similarly-styled cinema display...after all, the iSight is modeled in the same style...

pnw

Wyrm
Jun 25, 2003, 12:57 AM
It matches my IKEA waste paper basket... EXACTLY.

-Wyrm

zimv20
Jun 25, 2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Wyrm

lol. i've got the same one. but my garbage is different.

madforrit
Jun 25, 2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by zimv20
lol. i've got the same one. but my garbage is different.

And I've got a different can with the same garbage!

Anyways, initially I did not like the design. But then I woke up today and took a look, and it kind of grew on me. The pictures from WWDC don't look so bad, and up close the metal effect is definitely cooler. I can't wait to see, touch, smell, hear, and possibly taste one of these babies in person! :D

ZildjianKX
Jun 25, 2003, 01:58 AM

-Wyrm

OMG... I was thinking that... creepy.

Rezet
Jun 25, 2003, 02:02 AM
ooohhh. I like that garbage can. where can i get one? :)

jacobj
Jun 25, 2003, 03:00 AM
It is utilitarian and relatively flexible. You could put it in an old office with oak panelling or a modern loft convertion and it would look just great. I have found that Apple's recent products look better in the flesh, e.g. New Powerbooks, iPods. To be honest, as lovely as the iMac is, it looks better in pictures that it does in life. Get down to a store in August and look at the G5 and then let's have this conversation

Wyrm
Jun 25, 2003, 05:31 AM
Well - I woke up, checked the web and went "woah".

I guess we were all expecting something different than what came out, but looking closer it really is a beautiful engineering design. Yeah, I'd like this or that, which wasn't included - but I think it is very well done.

Just stare at the following picture ripped from Apple's site and tell me they are telling a lie when they say it was designed from the inside out?

vitruvius
Jun 25, 2003, 06:36 AM
i definetly love it, its minimal and has a lot of class, but im thinking... Apple products are often used for TV and movies due to its looks, if those holes produce an Moire effect on screen maybe the art directors will not use it in their productions.

on the other side this my G5 prediction i modeled last year, not exactly accurate but most people on other forums though it was to square and edgy. i think its close enough in terms of looks and materials,what do u think?

rainman::|:|
Jun 25, 2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Rezet
ooohhh. I like that garbage can. where can i get one? :)

i think, umm, ikea would be a start :)

their website sucks tho, it's "virtual catalog" based :P

reminds me, i need to order some cable lighting systems from there...

pnw

evildead
Jun 25, 2003, 08:49 AM
Personaly .. I like it. But.. im in to the minimalist metal look

bbarnhart
Jun 25, 2003, 08:49 AM
I don't like the looks of it either, but it wouldn't stop me from buying one (that is IF I was buying one). It's whats on the inside that counts (the case has large bones and a wonderful personality :eek: ).

jbomber
Jun 25, 2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Nobs
I know I put myself at risk here, but am I the only one who thought the new design of the G5 wasn't that great? I think it looks too utilitarian and not aesthetic at all.

I understand that there are some cooling issues with the aluminum body, but I have to admit, I was a but disappointed by the look.

Anyone else in this camp?

Yeah. I'm a designer, and I think it's pretty terrible. The profile is alright, but the front and back certainly leave a lot to be desired. I've been saying that I understand the overall statement Jonathan Ive was trying to make, but I don't think he quite nailed it. It looks like it could certainly have benefitted from a couple more passes in the drawing room. Most of the other industrial designers i've spoken too seem to agree.

jbomber
Jun 25, 2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by bbarnhart
I don't like the looks of it either, but it wouldn't stop me from buying one (that is IF I was buying one). It's whats on the inside that counts (the case has large bones and a wonderful personality :eek: ).

It's funny, because that's exactly what kept me from buying one. i refuse to put that thing on my desk in its current incarnation. I'll be waiting for Rev. B (please get rid of at least SOME of the mesh Mr. Ive).

Wyrm
Jun 25, 2003, 05:52 PM
Ok - so what would look better?
Busier front?
(apologise for the rapidly Gimp'ed image)

noel4r
Jun 25, 2003, 05:55 PM
i thought the design wasn't groundbreaking...

Bozola
Jun 25, 2003, 05:57 PM
I think time will tell but this is an interesting read...

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,59381,00.html

jbomber
Jun 25, 2003, 06:15 PM
Ok - so what would look better?
Busier front?
(apologise for the rapidly Gimp'ed image)

Well, some guy put this together and threw it up on spymac a while back. I definitely like some of the elements in this a lot more than the current cheese grater.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's an interesting place to start.

If i hadn't sold my damn powerbook in the hopes of there being a new one announced at WWDC, I'd mock one up for you. As such i'm dying in wintel hell using a 2 year old IBM ThinkBrick.

Wyrm
Jun 25, 2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by noel4r
i thought the design wasn't groundbreaking...

I beg to disagree -

- Straight airflow channels and zones.

- Cables organized, hidden or unneccessary

- designed to run with the cover on or off.

- Main chassis formed from 1 piece of Aluminium

Beauty through simplicity.... just wish you could put more stuff in it.

I like it.

-Wyrm

Biggywama
Jun 25, 2003, 07:22 PM
"People have disconnected (function) from cosmetics," he said, with a shake of his head.
-Jonathan Ive

I think the G5 box is a beauty.

In response to the picture posted above, there is a problem, it may work with a G4 in it, but I hear the G5 will be running significantly hotter, particularly at the higher clock speeds we will be seeing in the near future.

So if it's open only on the top(?), perhaps the back. this can't be good for hardware inside. You'd need at least to sides open, preferably on opposite sides of the machine(to make full use of the space inside). The front and rear panels are the only logical places to open up for airflow.

There are also economic and usability considerations, sure its a pretty picture, but it has to work as well.

Anyway, if someone could post a PC box that is better looking and even nearly as functional as the G5 box, then I would take their criticism seriously.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 25, 2003, 07:33 PM
The G5 was such a departure from the plastic flow look that it shocked a lot of us. After downloading and reading the technology overview i am more impressed with this machine and where it is going to take apple. The styling is growing on me every day, and the performance is going to be something else when 64 bit apps are made. Even on current 32 bit is smoking. Looking forward to seeing one in person( thinking hard about the base machine with combo drive. Wyrm is that a combo drive you have pictured. Is it getting better looking or is it me?

law guy
Jun 25, 2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Bozola
I think time will tell but this is an interesting read...

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,59381,00.html

Thnkas for the link Bozola - that was interesting. I do like the design. It's going to look great in any office - but just picture it in with woods - in a clean and modern, maple floor design studio setting or in the warmer setting of a home office with cherry-toned funiture. I think astetically, it again rises to the mark of becoming a really nice design addition to the room its in. Sure - it'll look a little odd sitting out in a ornate mahogany space, but so did a G4... or just about any computer.

Frohickey
Jun 25, 2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by jacobj
It is utilitarian and relatively flexible. You could put it in an old office with oak panelling or a modern loft convertion and it would look just great.

If its an antique oak desk, you might really want to be very very careful in putting the PowerMac G5 near it. The edges on the handles are pretty sharp. And its not that light either, so, one wrong move, and you could have a dented oak desk.

Frohickey
Jun 25, 2003, 11:00 PM
The G4 Cube used convection only, with the vents on the top and the bottom, and I bet that was a b!tch to make and cool. And that was with one of the lower power PowerPC chips!

One of the guys I worked with said to me, "You can't shrink a watt." When you put power in, you need to take it out. Its easier to take it out when you have the room to do it with. And that requires airflow.

Unless you want liquid cooling. Can you hear the tech support calls? "Help! My PowerMac sprung a leak when I moved it next to my waterbed." :D

adamfilip
Jun 25, 2003, 11:24 PM
what about this would this have been that much harder to do over the beauty they currently have..

atleast the little apple logo. the 2nd drive would be nice too

http://www.filipowicz.ca/g5dualdrive.jpg

ddtlm
Jun 25, 2003, 11:50 PM
Dont Hurt Me:

the performance is going to be something else when 64 bit apps are made. Even on current 32 bit is smoking.
64 bits don't make any positive performance contibution at all unless you are doing very certain integer operations or are using more than 2gigs of RAM. Spead the wisdom!

The G5 will benefit from better instruction ordering and instruction mixes when software is optimized, and the Opteron benefits from 64-bit mode because it gains extra registers, which the G5 does not (PPC chips have enough already).

Frohickey
Jun 26, 2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by adamfilip
what about this would this have been that much harder to do over the beauty they currently have..

http://www.filipowicz.ca/g5dualdrive.jpg

You just added 2 inches to a box that is already 20 inches tall! (10% size). Not to mention hurting the airflow for one of the processors! What has the poor little IBM 970 chip ever done to you? :p

Potus
Jun 26, 2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by jacobj
It is utilitarian and relatively flexible. You could put it in an old office with oak panelling or a modern loft convertion and it would look just great. I have found that Apple's recent products look better in the flesh, e.g. New Powerbooks, iPods. To be honest, as lovely as the iMac is, it looks better in pictures that it does in life. Get down to a store in August and look at the G5 and then let's have this conversation

I disagree: my iMac has only grown more beautiful in my eyes with time (up close and personal). As for my blueberry iBook: it has brought me lots of aesthetic pleasure. I think the new G5 looks "tinny" and this from someone who worshipped at the shrine of the tiBook when it first came out. I'm not opposed to a metal/industrial look: this one just looks cheap. Caveat: I've only seen the photos on the Apple site, but I'm not drooling to see one as I was with the the iBooks (all the iterations), the iMacs (all the iterations), and the Powerbooks (starting with Blackbird)...

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 26, 2003, 03:17 AM
i am somewhat of an aspiring artist, and i found the g5's case to be beautifully functional. it gos together so well, so cleanly, so perfectly, it's a definate work of art.

the quiet part is a bonus too...my blue and white g3 is currently summoning Hurrican Cindy inside it's case. which, to be honest, is too plasticy for me. i like metal. it has a much more honest feel to it.

Wyrm
Jun 26, 2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
The G5 was such a departure from the plastic flow look that it shocked a lot of us. After downloading and reading the technology overview i am more impressed with this machine and where it is going to take apple. ...Wyrm is that a combo drive you have pictured. Is it getting better looking or is it me?

I agree - this to me, is the right way to go.

I admit, I was a little shocked, but the more I look at it, the better I think it looks. Besides, does any one know the code name for this Mac? Or is "Cheese-Grater" going to stick?

Re: Combo
Actually using GIMP I just cut some parts of the Xserve and pasted them on the G5.
I was actually hoping for an XServe-like design. I especially like the cpu meters on the Xserve and hoped they would be put on the G5 (I know it's rather shallow - but woooo look at the pretty lights!)... I still think they should have used a slot drive, since it goes with the simplicity theme (no tray-duh!).

I guess we have to wait to see them when they come out - and FINALLY they are putting an Apple store in Tokyo (off topic warning)! Weeee. In the Ginza, no-less. Back few years ago, 1 square meter went for about $1 Million US for floor space in the Ginza.... how many G5s do you have to sell to make that back?

-Wyrm

Sun Baked
Jun 26, 2003, 07:31 AM
There is nothing wrong with the design, the current machines are ugly metal boxes with fancy plastic stuck to the side.

I'm sure if enough people whine somebody will come out with glue-on beige plastic panels to make everybody hankering for that traditional computer look happy.

Or you can be daring and use that horrible looking wood &/or carbon fiber stuff that people buy for their car interiors. ;)

[edit - how long til somebody powdercoats one black, or gets out some automotive paint and an airbrush?]

sonofslim
Jun 26, 2003, 09:24 AM
Besides, does any one know the code name for this Mac? Or is "Cheese-Grater" going to stick?

I was hoping to promote the nickname "Shredder" myself, both because it resembles an institutional-kitchen sized shredder and, naturally, the connotations with the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles nemesis. And possibly some mid-80's skate punk terminology. And the breakfast cereal by the same name, if that still exists. Now that's a nickname with history!

edit: Breakfast cereal was called "Shreddies," I believe. Haven't seen it in a long time.

Potus
Jun 26, 2003, 09:26 AM
I read "somewhere" last night (I'm too tired to track it down) that the design reviews from people in the field are essentially a base hit, not a homerun like the iMac for which he has won tons of rewards.
I don't hate it. It's better than any peeCee in the world. But it what's inside that draws me: the exterior gives me the degree of aesthetic pleasure that high industrial or minimalist interior design usually does: nice to look at in a mag; wouldn't want to live with it. Obviously, living with the G5 is different because it's just a tool...you don't have to sit on it.

sen_almighty
Jun 26, 2003, 09:50 AM
i may be wrong here, but wouldn't the "cheese grater" let in a lot of dust into the machine?

TitaniumBook
Jun 26, 2003, 10:06 AM
What strikes me about the photos of the G5 is what they don't show us. I've seen very few photos of it next to a display and none with a keyboard or mouse hanging around.
It probably because they don't complement each other much. The whole lucite and white look on the displays and inputs was appropriate for the last generation of designs. Don't you think they need to produce a new keyboard, mouse and display series for the alu. look of the G5, xserves and PowerBooks?

Belly-laughs
Jun 26, 2003, 10:21 AM
About time the internals of a computer have the same aesthetics as high-end amplifiers! Very sexy, indeed. But why didnīt they make the door see-trough?

Itīs a bit like opening the bonnet of an Audi! The engine looks better than the car!

Nobs
Jun 26, 2003, 10:34 AM
Hahah. You guys are right. It does look like a cheese grater. Or at least a kitchen appliance. And I think that's what bothers me the most about the front grille. It doesn't look computer-y at all. Maybe that's a good thing.

I guess I really have to see the machine up close and personal to make a true assessment.

michaelrjohnson
Jun 26, 2003, 10:36 AM
TitaniumBook
--------------
What strikes me about the photos of the G5 is what they don't show us. I've seen very few photos of it next to a display and none with a keyboard or mouse hanging around.
It probably because they don't complement each other much. The whole lucite and white look on the displays and inputs was appropriate for the last generation of designs. Don't you think they need to produce a new keyboard, mouse and display series for the alu. look of the G5, xserves and PowerBooks?
------------------

I made a comment in an earlier thread about the same thing... Apple's G5 tech specs sheet showed that the G5 ships with an "Apple Pro Keyboard and Mouse" however, since the new eMacs came out (there's one at my house) and they revised the keyboard it only says "Keyboard" and "mouse" on the bottom.. not PRO like it used to... that implies new keyboard and mouse to me...

michaelrjohnson
Jun 26, 2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Belly-laughs
About time the internals of a computer have the same aesthetics as high-end amplifiers! Very sexy, indeed. But why didnīt they make the door see-trough?

Itīs a bit like opening the bonnet of an Audi! The engine looks better than the car!

in the interview with Ive on Wired's page, Ive states that with the design of the door (2 layers) it HAS been designed to run with the door off so it can be seen.
:D :D :D

Peyote
Jun 26, 2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by michaelrjohnson
in the interview with Ive on Wired's page, Ive states that with the design of the door (2 layers) it HAS been designed to run with the door off so it can be seen.
:D :D :D

Correct, that's why they included the plastic clear panel inside the outer door. you can take the door off, leave the clear panel on, and the machine will run just as cool with the outer door off.

the future
Jun 26, 2003, 11:03 AM
Besides, does any one know the code name for this Mac? Or is "Cheese-Grater" going to stick?

It's Neo, actually.

machinehead
Jun 26, 2003, 11:12 AM
Turned on its side, the new G5 reminds me of a record player our family had in the early Sixties. The 6" mono speaker was mounted behind a full-width perforated grille on the front.

But I don't say that to be snide. When Steve Jobs unveiled the G5 on the rotating pedestal, I was silent like everyone else because my inability to distinguish the front from the back temporarily baffled me.

Yet on further reflection, what Wired called the "brutal austerity" of the G5 is an amazingly muscular design statement. It confidently asserts that "form follows function; performance speaks for itself; beauty is what beauty does; take it or leave it."

I'll take it.

As others pointed out, anodized aluminum is easily colored. (The color is embedded in the anodized oxide layer, so it's a metallic color, not an organic pigment.) Charcoal-colored grilles front and back would be a distinctive change to highlight the next revision. But blue is possible too!

Numerous perforation patterns are available as well (square holes, round holes, 60-degree staggered holes, 90-degree aligned holes, etc.) Changes in color and perforation provide plenty of scope for third-party customization or Apple's revisions, while retaining the basic form/function of the case.

Nothing's stopping our designer colleagues who feel the G5 needed a couple of more passes, from developing their own proposals. I would enjoy seeing their ideas posted here.

dongmin
Jun 26, 2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by jbomber
Yeah. I'm a designer, and I think it's pretty terrible. The profile is alright, but the front and back certainly leave a lot to be desired. I've been saying that I understand the overall statement Jonathan Ive was trying to make, but I don't think he quite nailed it. It looks like it could certainly have benefitted from a couple more passes in the drawing room. Most of the other industrial designers i've spoken too seem to agree.

so most industrial designers like the same things? wow what an interesting group...

sonofslim
Jun 26, 2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by dongmin
so most industrial designers like the same things? wow what an interesting group...

Wait... I'm having a brainstorm... Michael Graves does the next G5 revision... now in addition to the iMac that matches your Ikea desk lamp, you can have a tower that matches your 5-speed cherry-enamel blender... sweet!

rueyeet
Jun 26, 2003, 01:16 PM
the case has large bones and a wonderful personality.

Aww...does that mean you won't call it in the morning? ;)

The inside of the G5 tower is a work of engineering art, in my opinion. Clean and logical and beautiful in its precision. A place for everything, and everything in its place, just _so_ . Lovely.

I like the case personally, but it does take some getting used to. The handles especially convey a sense of abruptness. Taken altogether, it does indeed demand that you take it on its own merits. If nothing else, no one can accuse it of being a "girlie" computer. :rolleyes:

Dollars to donuts that the "Cheese Grater" name will stick. Certainly there's no mistaking which machine you mean with that moniker! (well, at least until they update the specs).

Code name "Neo", huh? Smeagol, Neo....one guess as to the movie tastes of Apple's design department. :D

whooleytoo
Jun 26, 2003, 01:52 PM
Like some here, I think the G5's look is a sleeper hit, the more I look at it, especially in the up-close shots, the more I like it. Solid, rugged, yet very minimal. It probably will stay tasteful a lot longer than many of the iMac flavours did.

I can't wait for mine.

Mike.

patrick0brien
Jun 26, 2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by sen_almighty
i may be wrong here, but wouldn't the "cheese grater" let in a lot of dust into the machine?

-sen_almighty

Yes, but with the fact that the velocitry of the air should increase as it proceeds to the back of the case where the fans are, and the exhaust aperatures are located, the fliud dynamics of such airflow should maintain a steadily decreasing pressure that would promote any particulates to remain in that airflow. Sure you'll get some deposits, but that would be due to the eddies in shadow behind cards, drives, and fins.

So I would assume our dust problems should be no worse than they already are, and I'd place a good bet they'd be better.

the case has large bones and a wonderful personality.

AND REALLY BIG BITS!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha!

Frohickey
Jun 26, 2003, 02:32 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like the new PowerMac G5's case.

Its metal, and not plastic/polycarbonate like the G4s.

That, and I like 1911s over Glocks. :D

Sonar
Jun 26, 2003, 02:43 PM

-Wyrm

Apple should sell them together for a special deal. Anyway, I think that it looks pretty good. The biggest problem i see is that the front looks like the back. I know they need to do that for cooling, but maybe the holes could have been on the sides. I dont know, but it could have been much cooler. But with those specs, i am not complaining

Frohickey
Jun 26, 2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Sonar
Apple should sell them together for a special deal. Anyway, I think that it looks pretty good. The biggest problem i see is that the front looks like the back. I know they need to do that for cooling, but maybe the holes could have been on the sides. I dont know, but it could have been much cooler. But with those specs, i am not complaining

Holes on the side don't work as good. The G4s had holes on the side, and it made the air turn corners in order to get out. You don't get the velocity you want out of the same amount of fan speed. Thats why the fans are cranked up the way they are on the G4. Plus, the more turns air has to go through, the more turbulence and noise you get.

Sonar
Jun 26, 2003, 03:27 PM
well, they got by before without those holes. so hopefully the can find a way. Maybe holes on the top and bottom with a little plastic riser with vents, so the table doesnt back up the holes and it has room to get out. they could reorganize the insides to allow the air to pass through. Or they could sell the coolest looking ones in alaska, so they wouldn't need cooling systems. It would not only look cool, but help populate alaska. :)

machinehead
Jun 26, 2003, 03:31 PM
Perforated aluminum was the most cost effective way to get the ventilation the G5 needed. And the minimalist aesthetics are quite acceptable.

But for a few dollars (and pounds) more, a stainless woven-wire mesh on the front and back of the case would be an extremely hardcore looking upgrade:

http://www.twpinc.com/images/common_art/photo_table/photos/mtr.jpg

[photo courtesy of www.tmpinc.com]

macguymike
Jun 26, 2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by TitaniumBook

You mean like the pic of it next to a display here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

Frohickey
Jun 26, 2003, 05:46 PM
well, they got by before without those holes. so hopefully the can find a way. Maybe holes on the top and bottom with a little plastic riser with vents, so the table doesnt back up the holes and it has room to get out. they could reorganize the insides to allow the air to pass through. Or they could sell the coolest looking ones in alaska, so they wouldn't need cooling systems. It would not only look cool, but help populate alaska. :)

The way they got by before is by increasing fan speed. Thats about when everyone started complaing about the HooverPowerMac. :p

Hmm... populate Alaska. But where are you going to get the power for a G5 in Alaska? That would mean we need to drill in ANWR, and you know how the environmentalists love that idea. NOT! :D

jbomber
Jun 26, 2003, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by adamfilip

Agreed.
It's weird, because, i really think that a little bit of branding would really help to improve the machine's looks. i'd been sketching little mock-ups since the unveiling of the apple cheese grater and in every instance, the logo really helped pull the front together.

and yeah, the second drive door is key. can't believe apple passed on that....

jbomber
Jun 26, 2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Potus
I disagree: my iMac has only grown more beautiful in my eyes with time (up close and personal). As for my blueberry iBook: it has brought me lots of aesthetic pleasure. I think the new G5 looks "tinny" and this from someone who worshipped at the shrine of the tiBook when it first came out. I'm not opposed to a metal/industrial look: this one just looks cheap. Caveat: I've only seen the photos on the Apple site, but I'm not drooling to see one as I was with the the iBooks (all the iterations), the iMacs (all the iterations), and the Powerbooks (starting with Blackbird)...

yeah, i'm not really psyched about this one for a lot of the same reasons. it just doesn't feel right. i think a lot of people are putting a bit too much faith in Ive. the design is certainly not "flexible" as he described it- no expansion bay for starters.
I was definitely more excited about the first G4 tower and the first titanium laptop.

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 26, 2003, 08:25 PM
only thing about the new g5 case that isn't beautiful harmony is the lack of another slot for a zip drive, etc. other than that, the case is a wonder of functionality.

Sonar
Jun 26, 2003, 08:41 PM
They should really make a better rewritable disk, so we dont have to worry about having twenty something drives. Then again if they made iDisk for all systems and there was a lump sum fee. Then it would be an online rewritable disk that you could add more storage too. However that idea stinks anyway because it wouldnt be secure. :( oh well. But back on track, the G5 needs something in the front view to say. "LOOK AT ME! I AM THE FRONT" at first i thought they put two backs on it. Maybe they need an apple or some chrome lining :D . but they definitly need to spice up the front.

Ugg
Jun 26, 2003, 09:17 PM
The sides are great, handles are great, the back is the back so who cares but the front does need something. They could have altered the perforations so that there was the Apple logo outline or the G5 outline or even given the front some kind of a frame. Most people see the front not the sides.

Wyrm
Jun 26, 2003, 11:03 PM
...the G5 needs something in the front view to say. "LOOK AT ME! I AM THE FRONT" at first i thought they put two backs on it. Maybe they need an apple or some chrome lining :D . but they definitly need to spice up the front.

Or maybe they provide the best base for case customization? Get your G5 and personalize it any way you want! :D

Case mods... here we come!

-Wyrm

Frohickey
Jun 26, 2003, 11:07 PM
you can always put one of the white Apple stickers that they include in the booklets on the front. :D

Sonar
Jun 26, 2003, 11:35 PM
good ideas. or u can paint the front neon green and line it with frilly junk. *i think i got carried away* and really big lights and... *getting more carried away* DANCERS AND A SPORTS TEAM AND A-*gets sacked*

jbomber
Jun 27, 2003, 01:59 AM
good ideas. or u can paint the front neon green and line it with frilly junk. *i think i got carried away* and really big lights and... *getting more carried away* DANCERS AND A SPORTS TEAM AND A-*gets sacked*

I can almost hear Jonathan Ive weeping softly... :)

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 27, 2003, 04:48 AM
although, i guess it would be kinda cool to just keep that clear plastic thing in the side and not the door, then add some neon lights inside....the rice g5, ooooh yea:rolleyes:

revenuee
Sep 13, 2003, 05:25 PM
Based on what many of you said it seems that non of you have seen it up close yet.

We just got one in at my University book store, and it is stunning. It's massive design belittle's all other competition. The G4 tower stands cowardly next to it, with the words "OUT DATED" screaming out at you.

if you you've only seen it from the apple website, you havn't even begun to experience this next generation of computing power.

Although it looks only OKAY connected to a apple display, hooked up to a philips 20" silver flat screen with the adaptor looks UNREAL

Trust me, don't make up your mind untill you see it for yourselves.

Freg3000
Sep 13, 2003, 06:16 PM
I don't like the handles. Everything else is ok (except for the fact that it is a little see-through). But those handles....I thought that they were supposed to be less obtrusive? To me, they are not. They stick out horrible.

mrjamin
Sep 13, 2003, 08:12 PM

-Wyrm

ditto! it also matches my ikea desklamp, ikea floorstanding lamp, ikea clothes bin, - even my ikea cheese grater. Hmm, someone needs to check out mr ive's career history...

i'm looking forward to getting mine - i'm not too concerned about the aesthetics of it as it'll be under my desk only visible to the junk on my floor and my feet.

note to all who saw the mess that i lived in in the "whats the view from your desk (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28076)" thread;
since moving house i've cleaned up my act a lot and i'm A LOT tidier now!

Rezet
Sep 14, 2003, 12:43 AM
wtf... who is digging out posts from june!?

G3-Pwnz-G4
Sep 14, 2003, 01:32 AM
hey, dead topic reviving is a lost art...:rolleyes:

acj
Sep 14, 2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Frohickey
The way they got by before is by increasing fan speed. Thats about when everyone started complaing about the HooverPowerMac. :p

Hmm... populate Alaska. But where are you going to get the power for a G5 in Alaska? That would mean we need to drill in ANWR, and you know how the environmentalists love that idea. NOT! :D

Actually, we have a lot of G5s in Alaska, and plenty of power for them. Alaska is a great place to have cool running computers. I once overclocked a dual celeron 400 to 600 by leaving my dorm room window open to cool it.

G3-Pwnz-G4
Sep 14, 2003, 12:11 PM
haha, that's awesome! wonder if the same applies for folks over in england (since it's always raining...yea...)