PDA

View Full Version : New Blizzard Game to Be Announced on 5/20!

Maclarny
Apr 28, 2007, 06:34 PM
Article HERE (http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25594825&om_act=convert&om_clk=newlyadded&tag=newlyadded;title;1)

omg omg omg

Even Blizz confirms it!

Starcraft 2 anyone? It looks like a new MMO is in the works, as well!

/EXCITED

mattscott306
Apr 28, 2007, 07:06 PM
Still don't know to believe if it's true or not... but if it is... that'll make me quite happy.

SC2... mmmmmmmmm

Chone
Apr 28, 2007, 07:57 PM
If it's another MMORPG then I'll be VERY dissapointed.

I'll be super happy with anything except World of Starcraft or World of Diablo...

Eric5h5
Apr 28, 2007, 08:28 PM
If it's another MMORPG then I'll be VERY dissapointed.

They are doing another MMOG, but they just started hiring for it last week, so I wouldn't worry about that for a long time.

--Eric

Maclarny
Apr 28, 2007, 09:22 PM
There is some speculation that they may be doing a port of WoW to nex-gen consoles. Not the wisest of moves imho.

Ja Di ksw
Apr 28, 2007, 09:44 PM
Not to be a dick, but this was already mentioned on the recent SC2 rumor thread.

AoWolf
Apr 28, 2007, 10:00 PM
Not to be a dick, but this was already mentioned on the recent SC2 rumor thread.

A gamespot link does lend this some more credibility although they may just be parroting information. There was some confusion as to the original source at blizzard korea.

Personally I think its Star Craft 2. I remember reading a thread a year or so ago asking what the players would like in a star craft sequel. And the fact that its in korea.

Erasmus
Apr 28, 2007, 10:28 PM
Siiick...

Let's just hope Apple ends up sticking in the Mobility HD2600 in the SR MBP so it will play this thing... Full 3D graphics??? In an RTS??? Sounds very demanding. Oh well, it seems CNC3 doesn't take too much, so we'll see.

Yum Yum! Starcraft 2! Pity I've only played the demo of Starcraft. But it's good that Blizzard likes to port their games to OSX. But... Are they just gonna announce it, to be released in a year or so, or are they actually gonna pop out and release it???

Oh, and MMORPs Blow. And suck. And should be discontinued immediately.

Eric5h5
Apr 28, 2007, 10:55 PM
Full 3D graphics??? In an RTS??? Sounds very demanding.

Sounds like any other RTS released in the last 5 years. Including an ancient game called Warcraft 3. ;)

--Eric

Erasmus
Apr 28, 2007, 11:54 PM
Sounds like any other RTS released in the last 5 years. Including an ancient game called Warcraft 3. ;)

--Eric

I suppose in practise, it's no more demanding, but you can't pan around in WC3.

And I believe CNC3 struggles a bit with the X1600. I mean if you buy a game, you're gonna want to play it with great framerates on the highest graphics settings, right? I mean, whether you CAN or not, that's a different question, to which the answer is hopefully yes.

ReanimationLP
Apr 29, 2007, 01:03 AM
I think its Starcraft 2, because lets face it, if they went and announced something else in South Korea, I dont think the Blizzard guys would make it out alive from there. So, I dont think they'd announce anything but SC2 in Korea. Besides, it'd be smart to announce in Korea, where its practically the national sport of the country.

Eric5h5
Apr 29, 2007, 01:10 AM

You can tilt the point of view so you're looking out across the ground instead of (mostly) straight down. Basically a first-person view. And yeah, it's useless, except so you can go "look ma, we're in 3D!" ;) Plus you can rotate 90 degrees left or right, which is even more useless.

Any potential performance problems would be the result of excessive whiz-bangery rather than 3D per se. Although, believe it or not, a lot of people really don't care that much about running on max settings. But personally, the first thing I usually do with a new game is go into preferences and yank all the quality settings as far right as they go....

--Eric

ReanimationLP
Apr 29, 2007, 01:20 AM

And I believe CNC3 struggles a bit with the X1600. I mean if you buy a game, you're gonna want to play it with great framerates on the highest graphics settings, right? I mean, whether you CAN or not, that's a different question, to which the answer is hopefully yes.

If you think CNC3 is hard on a X1600, try playing Company of Heroes.

That game makes video cards cry in pain, unless they're pretty high-end, then they cringe, unless your Mr. 8800SLI, you just laugh at the tickling.

Erasmus
Apr 29, 2007, 03:43 AM
You can tilt the point of view so you're looking out across the ground instead of (mostly) straight down. Basically a first-person view. And yeah, it's useless, except so you can go "look ma, we're in 3D!" ;) Plus you can rotate 90 degrees left or right, which is even more useless.

I disagree that the 3d thing is useless. I haven't played starcraft, but in something like CNC Generals, where there are large buildings, there could always be something hiding out of sight behind a building, waiting for your tanks to roll right into it... Without 3d you're screwed, cut and run with half the tanks that you did have. With 3d, you know it's there, and you can call in an airstrike or something to make it not there. Just one example.

I will admit that I was a bit too quick to assume that the 3d thing will make the game slower. I believe that RTS are usually not too demanding on the computer, unlike FPS.

Hmmm, I wonder how Crysis will run on a Mobility HD2600XT? : )

ReanimationLP
Apr 29, 2007, 08:35 AM
I disagree that the 3d thing is useless. I haven't played starcraft, but in something like CNC Generals, where there are large buildings, there could always be something hiding out of sight behind a building, waiting for your tanks to roll right into it... Without 3d you're screwed, cut and run with half the tanks that you did have. With 3d, you know it's there, and you can call in an airstrike or something to make it not there. Just one example.

I will admit that I was a bit too quick to assume that the 3d thing will make the game slower. I believe that RTS are usually not too demanding on the computer, unlike FPS.

Crysis is so uber-awesome it'll probably need a SLI 8800 or 2900 setup to run smoothly and look beautiful. :(

Eric5h5
Apr 29, 2007, 08:49 AM
I disagree that the 3d thing is useless.

Sorry, I meant specifically in Warcraft 3, the tilting/rotating was useless. Not that 3D itself was useless. Especially in a RTS like Homeworld 2, where the playing area is spherical and up/down is as important as left/right/in/out.

--Eric

booksacool1
Apr 30, 2007, 07:16 AM
Screw starcraft. I want a diablo 3. Honestly, that would be SO cool. Hopefully its not 'too' 3d tho. Something about the two dimensionality i liked of D2.

bowens
Apr 30, 2007, 09:10 AM
Pity I've only played the demo of Starcraft.

What?!? Stop whatever you're doing, take a $20 bill and go to the nearest Walmart, Best Buy or other electronics or game store and buy the Starcraft Battlechest. You won't leave your computer for a while.

mattscott306
Apr 30, 2007, 09:16 AM
What?!? Stop whatever you're doing, take a $20 bill and go to the nearest Walmart, Best Buy or other electronics or game store and buy the Starcraft Battlechest. You won't leave your computer for a while.

I'll second that. The game's a classic, the demo doesn't really do it justice.

Sdashiki
Apr 30, 2007, 09:34 AM
I'll second that. The game's a classic, the demo doesn't really do it justice.

Millions of Koreans cant be wrong!

topgunn
Apr 30, 2007, 10:50 AM
I am 90% certain it is going to be Starcraft 2, but honestly it really doesn't matter what it is. I will buy whatever they release the day it is released and will likely not leave my computer for a week once I get it home. Blizzard has yet to disappoint me going back as far as Orcs and Humans. I have no reason to believe that this will be any different.

whooleytoo
Apr 30, 2007, 10:58 AM
Will Starcraft even work on a current Mac/OS? I'm another who's never tried it - when it came out it was during one of my few periods of not owning a Mac.

Swarmlord
Apr 30, 2007, 10:59 AM
If you think CNC3 is hard on a X1600, try playing Company of Heroes.

That game makes video cards cry in pain, unless they're pretty high-end, then they cringe, unless your Mr. 8800SLI, you just laugh at the tickling.

Lol! And I thought that noise from within my computer was the graphics card fan. I didn't realize it was screaming in pain. :)

Eric5h5
Apr 30, 2007, 11:04 AM
Will Starcraft even work on a current Mac/OS?

Yes, it's OS X native. (If not on the CD, then you can download a patch.) It's not Universal, but it works under Rosetta as far as I know, although I seem to remember something about the movies not playing well or something.

--Eric

PlaceofDis
Apr 30, 2007, 11:06 AM
i'm certainly interested. a new RTS would be excellent. and i nice change of pace from WoW.

Captain Planet
Apr 30, 2007, 01:14 PM
*Hopes for Diablo III* :p

Fezwick
Apr 30, 2007, 02:01 PM
I am 90% certain it is going to be Starcraft 2, but honestly it really doesn't matter what it is. I will buy whatever they release the day it is released and will likely not leave my computer for a week once I get it home. Blizzard has yet to disappoint me going back as far as Orcs and Humans. I have no reason to believe that this will be any different.

I second that. Whether it's Diablo III or Starcraft 2, you really can't go wrong.

evilgEEk
Apr 30, 2007, 03:43 PM
I'd put my money on StarCraft 2. They already put so much work in to the now defunct Ghost project that I would think a lot of the groundwork would already be laid for StarCraft 2.

I played StarCraft a lot back in the day, but it's been years since I've played it. I still play WarCraft 3 farily regularly, although it's mainly just DotA games with friends.

But I'm with Chone in that if it's another MMORPG then I'll be extremely disappointed. I'm sure World of Warcraft is great, but I don't have the time nor the desire to invest $15 a month to play it.

MyJelleo
Apr 30, 2007, 03:59 PM
I second Starcraft 2! or possibly World of Starcraft.

Benji99
Apr 30, 2007, 10:31 PM
GO SC!!!!!!!:eek: :D

ReanimationLP
May 1, 2007, 04:12 AM
I'm willing to bet that the new game announced is Starcraft 2, and the MMO is Diablo III.

IscariotJ
May 1, 2007, 06:48 AM
*Hopes for Diablo III* :p

It's on it's way, its Hellgate: London ;)

Flagship Studios are also going to launch an online game, Mythos, which looks very much like Diablo ( not really shocking, considering who is behind Flagship ).

The only thing that disappoints me about these two titles, is that they look like they're going to be Windows only.

SC2? Just hoping that it runs on my MB.

whooleytoo
May 1, 2007, 06:56 AM
Yes, it's OS X native. (If not on the CD, then you can download a patch.) It's not Universal, but it works under Rosetta as far as I know, although I seem to remember something about the movies not playing well or something.

--Eric

Cool, thanks. I'll have to try and pick it up somewhere over here.

dvince2
May 1, 2007, 07:56 AM
But... Are they just gonna announce it, to be released in a year or so, or are they actually gonna pop out and release it???

It is Blizzard after all. I love their games...but my god they're worse than M$ for release dates....

topgunn
May 1, 2007, 08:10 AM
It is Blizzard after all. I love their games...but my god they're worse than M$ for release dates....
But at least Blizzard takes advantage of their delays and actually releases a solid, mostly bug-free product.

Chone
May 1, 2007, 09:59 AM

Actually, RTS are big ******* performance whores, they tax the hell out your CPU and GPU and even your RAM...

Try playing Supreme Commander and come back and say RTS are not as demanding as FPS games, to be honest, my recent FPS and recent RTS games are more or less set on the same settings.

odinsride
May 2, 2007, 03:56 PM
I want D3!!!

Jasonbot
May 3, 2007, 11:46 AM
Maybe we'll get a new game with a different world. No space, no demons, no orcs.

It's gotta be.. Um, er a combination of all three: Demon Orcs from Space RPG with FPS bonus levels:D

PianoPete
May 3, 2007, 01:13 PM

--Eric

Ya the system requirements are pretty low so it should work great in Rosetta. The movies haven't played right for me since OS9.

I hope it's starcraft 2!! Starcraft, imho, is the best computer game ever made.

TequilaBoobs
May 4, 2007, 02:36 PM
On May 19th (20th in USA), Blizzard is releasing StarCraft 2, in South Korea!

I'm sooooooo stoked!:D :D

sb58
May 4, 2007, 04:43 PM
On May 19th (20th in USA), Blizzard is releasing StarCraft 2, in South Korea!

I'm sooooooo stoked!:D :D

is that official? i know they're announcing something but i didn't hear it was definately SC2

bobber205
May 4, 2007, 05:14 PM
Yeah. May 20th 2008 maybe. ;)

I doubt they'll RELEASE it. But I'm fully expecting it to be announced that day.

But please keep on topic. :D
I've heard that Horde players are more likely to be adults. Is this true? Is that why they (we) work better together?

TequilaBoobs
May 4, 2007, 05:33 PM
is that official? i know they're announcing something but i didn't hear it was definately SC2

it's unofficially official. south koreans are the most hardcore starcraft fans, and that's where theyre releasing the game. the world is 99% sure.

sb58
May 4, 2007, 06:31 PM
Yeah. May 20th 2008 maybe. ;)

I doubt they'll RELEASE it. But I'm fully expecting it to be announced that day.

I've heard that Horde players are more likely to be adults. Is this true? Is that why they (we) work better together?

keep on topic? i don't think you realize what topic you're in...

Ja Di ksw
May 4, 2007, 11:11 PM
wait wait, releasing? I thought it was just an announcement. Don't they typically have to send out betas for people to test and do all that other stuff? Do companies typically release games out of the blue? All the games I remember that were released we knew it was coming, the announcement is what was a surprise.

Kernow
May 5, 2007, 02:36 AM

I think some posts were relocated here from the Twink thread :p

bobber205
May 5, 2007, 06:02 PM

Whoa. How embarrassing. :o

Tom B.
May 5, 2007, 07:00 PM
It may not be in this announcement, but i really hope They make a Warcraft 4 soon. World of Warcraft is good, but I prefer the traditional style of Warcraft game much more. But Starcraft 2 would be cool too. :)

IscariotJ
May 6, 2007, 05:05 PM
BluesNews/EvilAvatar are reporting that GameSport have "reliable" information, that it's going to be World Of StarCraft. If that's the case, then ho hum. I'll be hanging on for Hellgate: London and Supreme Commander.

Ja Di ksw
May 6, 2007, 08:29 PM
BluesNews/EvilAvatar are reporting that GameSport have "reliable" information, that it's going to be World Of StarCraft. If that's the case, then ho hum. I'll be hanging on for Hellgate: London and Supreme Commander.

I really, really, REALLY hope this is not true. The last two games released (well, 1 and an update) were this type of game.

At the same time, I can see it happening. With SC: Ghost, they might already have some of what they need for it, making it quicker to set up, and more profitable with monthly fees, than SC2.

Sigh . . . .

Erasmus
May 7, 2007, 01:54 AM
I really, really, REALLY hope this is not true. The last two games released (well, 1 and an update) were this type of game.

At the same time, I can see it happening. With SC: Ghost, they might already have some of what they need for it, making it quicker to set up, and more profitable with monthly fees, than SC2.

Sigh . . . .

What can I say...
DEATHPAINRAGEANDBURNINGFLAMES!!!
Will be very disappointed if this is true.

Maclarny
May 14, 2007, 07:48 PM
Check out their website! (http://www.blizzard.com)

I think it's Starcraft's turn.

Chaszmyr
May 14, 2007, 07:57 PM
I think one word says it all: w00t!

evilgEEk
May 14, 2007, 08:01 PM
That's awesome!

I hope it's StarCraft 2, but I wonder if it will be something completely different?

wildcardd
May 14, 2007, 08:49 PM
Is diablo the only game that shows up on that page? I see all the games listed below, but diablo is displayed on the page.

Chaszmyr
May 14, 2007, 08:49 PM
Is diablo the only game that shows up on that page? I see all the games listed below, but diablo is displayed on the page.

It's counting down. Yesterday it showed Warcraft, tomorrow it should show Starcraft.

Rocksaurus
May 14, 2007, 08:50 PM
When I go to their website there's a huge picture of Diablo on it... I mean I expect and want Starcraft 2 as much as anyone, but... What the hell?

Wow, that was fast people. *Nevermind.*

*prays for SC2*

Felldownthewell
May 14, 2007, 09:00 PM
I would would way prefer Diablo III or even a MMO version of Diablo to StarCraft 2, but I'd be happy with that also. It may even be a totally new game which would be awesome.

Chaszmyr
May 14, 2007, 09:03 PM
I would would way prefer Diablo III or even a MMO version of Diablo to StarCraft 2, but I'd be happy with that also. It may even be a totally new game which would be awesome.

I'm with you, but all of the evidence is pointing to Starcraft 2.

Maclarny
May 14, 2007, 10:30 PM
twood be nice if it was a console game, that way I wouldn't have to buy a new computer :-P

eXan
May 14, 2007, 10:37 PM
As much as I love Starcraft (1), I think it could use a little refreshment. If I dont like SC2, I can always just keep playing BW, so I hope they release SC over other games :)

MacsomJRR
May 15, 2007, 01:07 AM
I'm reeling from the fact that you can now get a World Of Warcraft Visa card... WTF?

MacsomJRR
May 15, 2007, 01:10 AM
give me a MMO for Starcraft any day. Can't wait to see what they are wokring on now!

IscariotJ
May 15, 2007, 02:08 AM
give me a MMO for Starcraft any day. Can't wait to see what they are wokring on now!

I really hope it's not an MMO. There's no way that I'll give up my WoW account for an SC MMO, and neither would it be worth me paying for both.

They need to come out with a new RTS.

fuzyhermit
May 15, 2007, 03:02 AM
As stated before, the announcement has to be StarCraft or WOW related if its South Korea. The "new" Blizz seems only interested in making money. Don't see them investing in anything new. I'd bet first that the announcement is merely a console version of WOW. If not that, I'd bet that its a cobbled toegher Ghost. And if nether of those, I'd bet last StarCraft 2. WarCraft3's engine has been wait'n around from SC2 to come out for years. SC2 seems somewhat iffy because Blizz has lost so many of its original employees since it merged and took on WOW. You can definitely count out World of StarCraft or Diablo 3. Sci Fi and shooters make horrible MMOs so no W.O.S. Diablo is dead. Blizz incorporated so much of Diablo's aspects in WOW that Diablo is now a scrapped out heap. Which is a shame because Diablo and Diablo2 were amazing games.
I personlly hope the announcement is a near finished/finished StarCraft 2.

Bobdude161
May 15, 2007, 03:54 AM
Man they are really being a tease about this! This is almost as bad as Apple's teasing of new products. oh you teasers!

Jasonbot
May 15, 2007, 06:22 AM
As stated before, the announcement has to be StarCraft or WOW related if its South Korea. The "new" Blizz seems only interested in making money. Don't see them investing in anything new. I'd bet first that the announcement is merely a console version of WOW. If not that, I'd bet that its a cobbled toegher Ghost. And if nether of those, I'd bet last StarCraft 2. WarCraft3's engine has been wait'n around from SC2 to come out for years. SC2 seems somewhat iffy because Blizz has lost so many of its original employees since it merged and took on WOW. You can definitely count out World of StarCraft or Diablo 3. Sci Fi and shooters make horrible MMOs so no W.O.S. Diablo is dead. Blizz incorporated so much of Diablo's aspects in WOW that Diablo is now a scrapped out heap. Which is a shame because Diablo and Diablo2 were amazing games.
I personlly hope the announcement is a near finished/finished StarCraft 2.

I'm hoping Diablo isn't dead as I hate WoW but love Diablo 2. I also think that ghost is dead so maybe they won't bother with that. You know it could also be something completely different and new- Let's hope Blizzard suprises us!

Jasonbot
May 15, 2007, 06:25 AM
I just can't wait! Do you think there might be some secret mesages in the front page teaser?

Voidness
May 15, 2007, 07:31 AM
I hope it's a sequel to The Lost Vikings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Vikings):p

Andrew D.
May 15, 2007, 09:08 AM
Let's just hope it's finally a Starcraft rendition.. they really need one. Can't wait though!

whooleytoo
May 15, 2007, 10:42 AM
I hope it's a sequel to The Lost Vikings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Vikings):p

Yay! I'd vote for that as well! :p

(I still can't finish the last level on that game, bugs the hell out of me..)

Actually, after watching Little Big Planet the other day, it made me think of the collaborative play in The Lost Vikings.

SamIchi
May 15, 2007, 10:56 AM
They're going to make a super game with the 3 franchises.

Diablo, Starcraft, and Warcraft combined!

Ok probably not, the only thing I'd look forward to is a new SC.

Maclarny
May 15, 2007, 11:00 AM
I would be extremely disappointed if Starcraft 2 was merely the Warcraft 3 engine with a new coat of paint. Something like that (http://mods.moddb.com/3704/project-revolution/) has been in the works for a long time now.

GKThursday
May 15, 2007, 11:20 AM

Daemon Orcs in Space!

~G

mattscott306
May 15, 2007, 11:27 AM
I would be extremely disappointed if Starcraft 2 was merely the Warcraft 3 engine with a new coat of paint. Something like that (http://mods.moddb.com/3704/project-revolution/) has been in the works for a long time now.

Nah WC3 has been out long enough for an updated engine to make sense, plus blizzard knows a lot of people would be ticked off about it if thats all they did.

Ja Di ksw
May 15, 2007, 11:44 AM
What exactly would you guys like to see them do with SC2?

You know I'd like to see in it? Full 3D tunnels. Imagine having to send your small groups through tunnels, using point guards who have longer range of vision, setting up sentries or traps at key points, worrying about lighting if your race can't see in the dark, or how to effectively attack with all your units if you have a lot of melee, etc.

They could be a stand alone part, but more likely (and fun) incorporated into a more "normal" map. Both as areas that are set up, and places where you can tunnel. Imagine having to worry about Zerg tunneling into your camp in levels with softer ground, or worrying about losing part of your horde when terrain cave in the tunnel, or dark templar roaming the tunnels invisible and assassinating your better units.

It won't happen, but DAMN would I love it.

blitzkrieg79
May 15, 2007, 11:45 AM
If I had to bet I would bet on Starcraft 2, but then again it's a good thing I don't gamble cuz otherwise I woud live under a bridge :D Anyway, god damn it, it's been almost 10 years since the original, give me my Starcraft 2, pretty please with cherry on top :p

zed
May 15, 2007, 12:35 PM

They have already done this... it is called World of Warcraft.

Jasonbot
May 15, 2007, 12:38 PM
Daemon Orcs in Space!

~G

It's gotta be.. Um, er a combination of all three: Demon Orcs from Space RPG with FPS bonus levels.

lol! Well done!

Antares
May 15, 2007, 01:51 PM
I think Blizzard is going to announce a new Lost Vikings game. That's a very old franchise of theirs that they need to revive. Remember, Blizzard did make other games besides Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo.

mattscott306
May 15, 2007, 02:12 PM
I think Blizzard is going to announce a new Lost Vikings game. That's a very old franchise of theirs that they need to revive. Remember, Blizzard did make other games besides Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo.

But their cash flow came from those three franchises. Those games are loved, those games will be bought, why change it?

Rocksaurus
May 15, 2007, 05:53 PM
But their cash flow came from those three franchises. Those games are loved, those games will be bought, why change it?

That's how I've always seen it. When people ask me why I'm so sure that SC2 will *eventually* be a reality, I just remind them that if Blizz makes SC2, it's basically free money for them. It WILL sell well. Oh please let this announcment be SC2.

Chone
May 15, 2007, 07:33 PM
2 Diablos and 3 Warcrafts... including a hugely successful one... its time to milk the Starcraft cow or create a new cow altogether :) either way its awesome just as long as its not an MMORPG.

MacsomJRR
May 15, 2007, 07:52 PM
2 Diablos and 3 Warcrafts... including a hugely successful one... its time to milk the Starcraft cow or create a new cow altogether :) either way its awesome just as long as its not an MMORPG.

With the absolutely ridiculous out of control money making success that WoW has been I honestly don't think that this can be anything other than a Starcraft MMORPG. This also has to be the reason why they tanked Ghost (or at least it seems like they did).

I mean there are now WoW VISA cards for chri$t's sake!

AoWolf
May 15, 2007, 08:11 PM
With the absolutely ridiculous out of control money making success that WoW has been I honestly don't think that this can be anything other than a Starcraft MMORPG. This also has to be the reason why they tanked Ghost (or at least it seems like they did).

I mean there are now WoW VISA cards for chri$t's sake!

I doubt it. Think of a star craft MMO from a game mechanic point of view.

Races Human Protoss, some new humanoid Zerg?

Classes?

Gear?

Not saying its impossible but at this point is seems a RTS would make more sense.

MacsomJRR
May 15, 2007, 09:32 PM
I doubt it. Think of a star craft MMO from a game mechanic point of view.

Races Human Protoss, some new humanoid Zerg?

Classes?

Gear?

Not saying its impossible but at this point is seems a RTS would make more sense.

There are plenty of space MMORPG out there!

Races - all those you named plus countless others they could create (it's space!)
Classes - Engineer, Marine (could be split up into different specialties or even different classes with the marine class, i.e. Firebat, Marine, Ghost), Pilot, Scout, Emissary, Researcher/Scientist... just off of the top of my head. Check out a futuristic d20 RPG, they'll have tons.
Gear - dude! There is so much they could do with this.

The main reason I going with this is they put a lot of work into Ghost. If you ever saw some of those videos or screenshots you know what I"m talking about. There is no way they have just scrapped that whole thing. They probably just decided part way through the production of Ghost that they should move the whole project underground and morph it into something else, something with much more potential, something like WoW.

Either way, RTS or MMORPG I'll be happy. I love the whole starcraft series so as long as its starcarft, count me in. Diablo on the other hand...

CANEHDN
May 15, 2007, 10:37 PM
I'm all for Starcraft. Diablo was great but it get's a little repetative. Starcraft has unlimited strategies and game options. Different maps to play, different combonations of people v.s. people or comps. They need to bring back the best game ever. Starcraft 2 all the way. It's so nerve racking. Waiting till the weekend to find out.

Eric5h5
May 15, 2007, 11:02 PM
The main reason I going with this is they put a lot of work into Ghost. If you ever saw some of those videos or screenshots you know what I"m talking about. There is no way they have just scrapped that whole thing.

That sort of thing happens more often than you'd think. It's entirely likely that they have, in fact, scrapped the whole thing. Plus they have more than enough cash that they can afford to be extremely picky about what they release.

--Eric

applekid
May 15, 2007, 11:56 PM
I highly doubt it will be a StarCraft MMORPG, but I could imagine a MMOFPS. Perhaps it's too much for today's computer and the lack of widely-available broadband, but I can't imagine they can do too much outside of RTS, FPS, or action with the StarCraft IP.

I also believe there is too much hype for a StarCraft sequel. Maybe it would've been safer to release Ghost. A StarCraft sequel has to really not disappoint. WC3 was cool, and WoW even brought in non-Blizzard fans. It probably won't do much in the way of changing the RTS genre (if it indeed is a RTS and probably likely to be an RTS), but Blizzard needs to stick to their guns: RTS's. I can't wait for the storyline. They left us hanging with the Zerg/Protoss hybrids or Xel'Naga secret mission.

Blizzard has certainly stayed away from consoles for a while. The last releases were re-releases on the GameBoy Advance of their old IP's like Rock and Roll Racing and that Vikings thing and two others, I believe. Ghost was supposed to be last-gen's but that didn't happen. Would be a shocker if this went to any of the current game consoles.

BioChron
May 16, 2007, 01:37 AM
Yes! I can't wait! I don't know if Blizzard could afford to make another MMO, but hopefully if they do you could use your WoW account with it.

sb58
May 16, 2007, 06:11 AM
Yes! I can't wait! I don't know if Blizzard could afford to make another MMO, but hopefully if they do you could use your WoW account with it.

afford it? they have 8.5 million people playing World of Warcraft at about 15 dollars a month, plus the money it costs to buy the game and the expansion. i think they could afford it.

bobber205
May 16, 2007, 08:42 AM
I will probably only being into a MMO SC2 if your 15 dollars counts towards that too. I can't pay 30 a month for two MMOs that I could barely play. ;)

But a RTS will be awesome!

Hell. Blizzard could sell just empty boxes with their logo and SC2 on it and make millions.

blitzkrieg79
May 16, 2007, 08:48 AM
I don't know if this means anything but recently Blizzard has registered starcraft2.com as one of their domains, when you actually type in www.starcraft2.com it will take you to Blizzards homepage.

PlaceofDis
May 16, 2007, 08:50 AM
i doubt very much that this would be another MMO, WoW is still going strong at this point, if anything they're just beginning to work on a new one right about now. this should be a RTS game of some sort i think. but we'll see in a few days.

kitki83
May 16, 2007, 12:27 PM
WTF? people never played SC or Diablo. Anyway factoid for all of you when NBC was buying out parent company of Vivendi/Blizzard, they really did not want the company saying it was not making money but kept it for the real estate these companies had. If any one knows the whole story share it.

So we wont know till the 20th huh damm I was about to post something when I went to Blizzard to see if there was a UB for Diablo and SC.

TequilaBoobs
May 16, 2007, 12:30 PM
i dont know if someone in this thread has already mentioned this, but remember that guy who died in south korea from playing video games? well, he died from playing starcraft!! leave it to blizzard to introduce the game in the country where people are fanatical enough to die from video game playing.

only 4 more days till starcraft 2 heaven!

kitki83
May 16, 2007, 01:38 PM
i dont know if someone in this thread has already mentioned this, but remember that guy who died in south korea from playing video games? well, he died from playing starcraft!! leave it to blizzard to introduce the game in the country where people are fanatical enough to die from video game playing.

only 4 more days till starcraft 2 heaven!

shush you, speaking silly its Diablo III

Jasonbot
May 16, 2007, 02:16 PM
Here's a poll for you... What will Blizzard release? Who knows, no one knows?

SilentPanda
May 16, 2007, 02:22 PM
I don't think they'd hit up Warcraft 4 yet... I know a crapload of people want a Starcraft 2 though... I personally hope they get Diablo 3 though. I'm not a big fan of Starcraft personally.

Dagless
May 16, 2007, 02:45 PM
No Lost Vikings option?

sb58
May 16, 2007, 02:48 PM
SC2. lets hope.

Jasonbot
May 16, 2007, 02:51 PM
No Lost Vikings option?

Try using "something new altogether" as I am sure that an LV2 will not resemble the old one much :p

Eric5h5
May 16, 2007, 03:16 PM
Try using "something new altogether" as I am sure that an LV2 will not resemble the old one much :p

You mean LV3...they already did LV2.... ;)

--Eric

atari1356
May 16, 2007, 03:25 PM
I don't know if this means anything but recently Blizzard has registered starcraft2.com as one of their domains, when you actually type in www.starcraft2.com it will take you to Blizzards homepage.

That domain name was created a long time ago:

"Domain Name: STARCRAFT2.COM
Created on: 24-Sep-99"

PlaceofDis
May 16, 2007, 03:27 PM
as much as i'd love, wish, and hope for a Diablo release, my gut and signs point towards a Starcraft or something new. gah!

statikcat
May 16, 2007, 03:33 PM
Honestly it sounds like Diablo III will be the new "MMORPG". That would not conflict with WoW sales (much - mostly double users!) and players and also could easily be put on a console. All I have heard about DIII so far just sounds like pre-planning.. hashing the story and ideas out and now it is time to hire some people to make it happen. Just my 2 cents. And from what I have read on DIII (mostly rumors) it sounds like they are planning on it being a MMORPG. But nothing as time consuming or hardcore as WoW .. but more based around fun and not spending your life on the game. Great idea honestly..

It is odd that no rumors before just recent have come up about Starcraft II with it being so close to release.. but I am PRAYING for SC2. Have been for a very long time. Command and Conquer 3 is fun.. but I miss Starcraft so bad. Still play it sometimes :)

Anyway, my vote is SC2. It is by far most logical.

sb58
May 16, 2007, 07:06 PM
And from what I have read on DIII (mostly rumors) it sounds like they are planning on it being a MMORPG. But nothing as time consuming or hardcore as WoW .. but more based around fun and not spending your life on the game. Great idea honestly..
WoW is in no way Hardcore... people just get addicted.

mattscott306
May 16, 2007, 07:16 PM
as much as i'd love, wish, and hope for a Diablo release, my gut and signs point towards a Starcraft or something new. gah!

You didn't enjoy SC?

I'd rather it be SC2, but I'd love to see D3 as well.

statikcat
May 16, 2007, 10:22 PM
WoW is in no way Hardcore... people just get addicted.

But there is even another level of "casual" or less hardcore (however you want to look at it.. same thing) Diablo would be great for that. Diablo is fun no matter where your character is at. For many people WoW fun starts at lv 70.. and that takes quite a bit of time just to start having fun with a toon.

~Shard~
May 16, 2007, 10:29 PM
Can't believe I only found this thread just now.

Anyway, it's no surprise - my vote is for Starcraft 2 all the way baby, all the way... it has been far too long... :cool:

Seriously, what has it been, almost 10 years?!? :eek:

bobber205
May 16, 2007, 11:22 PM
11 years I think.

And WTF Blizzard. Thats' waaay too long.

I only hope my new pc rig will be able to run the game on full settings. :D

~Shard~
May 16, 2007, 11:30 PM
11 years I think.

And WTF Blizzard. Thats' waaay too long.

I only hope my new pc rig will be able to run the game on full settings. :D

Yeah, far too long!

And yes, hopefully the graphics and such won't be unreasonably demanding. One of the great things about Starcraft was that you didn't need a top of the line machine at the time to play it. Now granted it wasn't full 3D and all that, and a new version obviously would be, but Blizzard proved with Stacraft that amazing, leading edge graphics don not make a good game - storyline, gameplay, etc. etc. do. Hopefully they focus their efforts on the important aspects with this new game and don't release something which is flashy yet lacks substance and heart. :cool:

Bring on Starcraft 2!!!

MyJelleo
May 17, 2007, 04:11 AM
I hear from an inside source that the secret game in development is Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

I'm pumped now. I'm glad that Blizzard picked up that Hello Kitty license.

statikcat
May 17, 2007, 08:14 AM
Yeah, far too long!

And yes, hopefully the graphics and such won't be unreasonably demanding. One of the great things about Starcraft was that you didn't need a top of the line machine at the time to play it. Now granted it wasn't full 3D and all that, and a new version obviously would be, but Blizzard proved with Stacraft that amazing, leading edge graphics don not make a good game - storyline, gameplay, etc. etc. do. Hopefully they focus their efforts on the important aspects with this new game and don't release something which is flashy yet lacks substance and heart. :cool:

Bring on Starcraft 2!!!

Yeah Blizzard has always had unique graphics engine that runs well on outdated computers and still looks good. Especially lately. Look at WoW.. it runs and looks good even on my friends old Pentium III. Same for Warcraft III. Obviously looks better at high settings but even low settings look good.

Gasu E.
May 17, 2007, 08:19 AM
I hear from an inside source that the secret game in development is Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

I'm pumped now. I'm glad that Blizzard picked up that Hello Kitty license.

I am SOOO looking forward to the virtual water slide!!!!:D

Actually I did get a sneak preview recently of an upcoming MMMORPG. Basically you form a small guild, and your guild tries to run the world. You mainly try to gain acquiesence of, or advantage over, the other guilds via deceit and trickery. Eventually you get to fight big wars without end (or more accurately, get other players to fight them for you). It's called "Dubble-U", or something like that.

Mydel
May 17, 2007, 09:23 AM
crossing fingers for Diablo3 but it rather be SC2 :o

~Shard~
May 17, 2007, 09:48 AM
crossing fingers for Diablo3 but it rather be SC2 :o

I would never complain about another Diablo game either, but when it comes down to it, Starcraft is one of my favorite games of all time and is easily the one I would like to see above anything else.

topgunn
May 17, 2007, 09:51 AM
It is odd that no rumors before just recent have come up about Starcraft II with it being so close to release.. but I am PRAYING for SC2.

I am 99.9999999% certain that the game (whatever it is) is not being RELEASED on the 20th but rather being ANNOUNCED on the 20th. Knowing Blizzard, that means the game should be ready for Christmas 2008.

atari1356
May 17, 2007, 09:53 AM
I am 99.9999999% certain that the game (whatever it is) is not being RELEASED on the 20th but rather being ANNOUNCED on the 20th. Knowing Blizzard, that means the game should be ready for Christmas 2008.

That would be pretty disappointing, but you're probably right.

Swarmlord
May 17, 2007, 09:57 AM

That sounds like their standard operating procedure to me.

~Shard~
May 17, 2007, 09:58 AM

I agree as well. In fact, this is always what I inferred - that the game would be announced, not released. Regardless of if it is SC2, Diablo 3 or whatever, rumors would have leaked by now if it was to be released so soon. And honestly, I'm fine with this. Hell, I've been waiting a decade for SC2 so I honestly don't mind waiting another year or so as long as something is finally confirmed and has a rough release date which I can target. Waiting on something which is confirmed is much easier and less frustrating than waiting on utter speculation and hope. :cool:

AoWolf
May 17, 2007, 12:28 PM

Well if it slated for Christmas 08 assume it will come out quarter two 09. This is blizzard =p

Although if it is star craft 2 they may scavenged some of the art from ghost.

~Shard~
May 17, 2007, 12:30 PM
Well if it slated for Christmas 08 assume it will come out quarter 2 09. This is blizzard =p

Although if it is star craft 2 they may scavenged some of the art from ghost.

Yeah, Blizzard is famous for their delays... :(

However, they could always announce it on the 20th but indicate they have actually been working on it for the past 'x' number of months, which would be better than if they were essentially starting from scratch. Regardless, I am not expectiong anything until 2008.

AoWolf
May 17, 2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah, Blizzard is famous for their delays... :(

However, they could always announce it on the 20th but indicate they have actually been working on it for the past 'x' number of months, which would be better than if they were essentially starting from scratch. Regardless, I am not expectiong anything until 2008.

I am sure they have been working on it for a long time. A year or so ago there was a blue tread on the blizzard forums asking what players wanted from starcraft 2.

Soulstorm
May 17, 2007, 12:53 PM
Whatever the game may be... I hope it's playable on my iMac in my signature.

~Shard~
May 17, 2007, 02:18 PM
I am sure they have been working on it for a long time. A year or so ago there was a blue tread on the blizzard forums asking what players wanted from starcraft 2.

That's definitely a good sign... ;)

nateDEEZY
May 17, 2007, 02:24 PM
Whaaat it's only been like 9 years since it came out! It hasn't been 11~12 years like some people have mentioned and even if it does come out christmas 07' then it'll almost be 10. We can manage to wait another year :o

~Shard~
May 17, 2007, 02:48 PM
Yep - I've waited this long, so another year isn't going to kill me. ;) And actually, I don't play computer games at all anymore, so it's not too big of a deal. But if this announcement is indeed related to Starcraft 2, then consider me coming out of retirement... :cool:

mattscott306
May 17, 2007, 02:50 PM
Yep - I've waited this long, so another year isn't going to kill me. ;) And actually, I don't play computer games at all anymore, so it's not too big of a deal. But if this announcement is indeed related to Starcraft 2, then consider me coming out of retirement... :cool:

I'm only a casual gamer now, but if it's SC2 I have a feeling addiction will be entering my life... again.

statikcat
May 17, 2007, 03:20 PM
I meant announced earlier .. not released.

If it is DIII or SCII it will probably be released in Oct/Dec for Xmas. Either of these games do not need more than 6 months time after announcement to gain hype. If anything waiting longer than that would just piss peopel off. These games are no-brainer blockbusters.

~Shard~
May 17, 2007, 03:56 PM
I'm only a casual gamer now, but if it's SC2 I have a feeling addiction will be entering my life... again.

Yep, me too. And I'd be in really deep trouble if they followed up SC2 with a WoS! :eek: :cool:

If it is DIII or SCII it will probably be released in Oct/Dec for Xmas. Either of these games do not need more than 6 months time after announcement to gain hype. If anything waiting longer than that would just piss peopel off. These games are no-brainer blockbusters.

In theory, yes, but keep in mind that "Blizzard" is synonymous with "delay". ;) As a result, it could definitely get pushed into '08...

Rocksaurus
May 17, 2007, 07:13 PM
In theory, yes, but keep in mind that "Blizzard" is synonymous with "delay". ;) As a result, it could definitely get pushed into '08...

Fortunately they're also synonymous with "extremely high quality"... If Blizzard had to delay this game, whatever it is, I'm 100% cool with that.

TequilaBoobs
May 17, 2007, 07:41 PM
i hope blizzard allows for more people per team when playing online. a 10v10 game would be awesome. i think computers today could handle a larger sized map and more players per game.

~Shard~
May 17, 2007, 08:42 PM
Fortunately they're also synonymous with "extremely high quality"... If Blizzard had to delay this game, whatever it is, I'm 100% cool with that.

Oh yeah, never said that wasn't the case - I've always been impressed with their quality. And in fact, I would rather wait a little longer for a quality product then have a buggy one rushed out the door.

statikcat
May 17, 2007, 11:19 PM
Blizzard is technically big on delaying expansion packs not original releases. For example Lord of Destruction (major delay) and The Burning Crusade were quite late. I am not aware of any original release that suffered big delays. But sure.. '08 is possible but probably Q1. Anyway LOL we will see in 2 days. I just realize how dumb this conversation is getting :)

~Shard~
May 17, 2007, 11:25 PM
Blizzard is technically big on delaying expansion packs not original releases. For example Lord of Destruction (major delay) and The Burning Crusade were quite late. I am not aware of any original release that suffered big delays. But sure.. '08 is possible but probably Q1. Anyway LOL we will see in 2 days. I just realize how dumb this conversation is getting :)

Heh heh, that's true - although one could could argue that Ghost was really delayed... ;) :D

evilgEEk
May 17, 2007, 11:36 PM
I'm sure it's StarCraft 2. For me, the fact that they're making the announcement in Korea seals the deal.

Regardless, I'm not expecting to see anything until late 2008 at the earliest.

Blizzard is technically big on delaying expansion packs not original releases.

Wasn't WarCraft 3 delayed a number of times? I can't quite remember, but it seems like it was.

Regardless, we only have a couple more days to wait since the 20th in Korea is the 19th in the States. :)

~Shard~
May 17, 2007, 11:40 PM
Regardless, we only have a couple more days to wait since the 20th in Korea is the 19th in the States. :)

Yep - we'll know soon enough! And I agree, I think we can safely expect a release date to be a decent ways into the future - nothing anytime soon... But as long as I have a confirmed game and an approximate release date, direct from Blizzard themselves as opposed to the rumor mill, I'll be happy. :)

bobber205
May 17, 2007, 11:53 PM
Same here.

If it's WC IV, I'll hate it. ;)

~Shard~
May 17, 2007, 11:56 PM
Same here.

If it's WC IV, I'll hate it. ;)

Agreed - if it's something Warcraft related I'll be pissed. Enough with Warcraft already! WCIII, Expansion, WoW, WoW Expansion, blah blah blah - give us something new! ;) Especially when you have amazing potential in a franchise like Starcraft, Blizzard would be very foolish to ignore it. :cool:

bobber205
May 18, 2007, 12:06 AM
I hope there' some sort of preorder available soon. Just being to preorder would satisfy me for awhile.

~Shard~
May 18, 2007, 12:09 AM
I hope there' some sort of preorder available soon. Just being to preorder would satisfy me for awhile.

Yeah, it would be nice to secure a copy, wouldn't it? ;) :D I hope the discs will be hybrid discs so separate versions for Mac and Windows aren't required... heh heh, hybrids, how appropriate for SC2... ;) :cool:

GKThursday
May 18, 2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah, it would be nice to secure a copy, wouldn't it? ;) :D I hope the discs will be hybrid discs so separate versions for Mac and Windows aren't required... heh heh, hybrids, how appropriate for SC2... ;) :cool:

We can count on it, Blizzard always does hybrids.

Now for something that was mentioned on another forum: go look at the splash page. The background around the game changes every day to reflect the game, i.e. Diablo's claws, Outline of a footman, ect. However the timeline background stays the same. Look at the lower left and right corners. I think we have a clue as the the games initials . . . :D

~G

~Shard~
May 18, 2007, 12:40 AM
We can count on it, Blizzard always does hybrids.

Now for something that was mentioned on another forum: go look at the splash page. The background around the game changes every day to reflect the game, i.e. Diablo's claws, Outline of a footman, ect. However the timeline background stays the same. Look at the lower left and right corners. I think we have a clue as the the games initials . . . :D

~G

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this - I'll go check it out right now - thanks for the head's up. ;)

Edit: Kay, guess I'm an idiot, where is this "splash page" you speak of? I go to Blizzard.com but can't find it... :o

GKThursday
May 18, 2007, 12:46 AM
Hmm, I wasn't aware of this - I'll go check it out right now - thanks for the head's up. ;)

Edit: Kay, guess I'm an idiot, where is this "splash page" you speak of? I go to Blizzard.com but can't find it... :o

It is just http://www.blizzard.com, it has Warcraft III on it now, well, should have WoW soon.

~G

~Shard~
May 18, 2007, 12:49 AM
It is just http://www.blizzard.com, it has Warcraft III on it now, well, should have WoW soon.

Oh okay, that's what I thought, but when I loaded it up I didn't see any letters along the lines of what you mentioned. Thanks for the clarification. ;)

GKThursday
May 18, 2007, 12:58 AM
Oh okay, that's what I thought, but when I loaded it up I didn't see any letters along the lines of what you mentioned. Thanks for the clarification. ;)

Here, I circled them:http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=74515&stc=1&d=1179467836
They are probably nothing, but who knows. . .
~G

~Shard~
May 18, 2007, 01:03 AM
Here, I circled them

Thanks again! Now I'm in the loop... ;) As has previously been said, it won't matter in a couple days because then we'll all know for sure. :cool:

AoWolf
May 18, 2007, 01:20 AM
I kinda see the "S" other side looks like a "?"

statikcat
May 18, 2007, 08:59 AM
As for the pre order I wouldnt be too worried about getting a copy in stores. I thought I wouldn't be able to get a copy of TBC because I didnt preorder it but Walmart had a zillion laying around 4-5 days after release. Guess you cant be too safe though :)

mattscott306
May 18, 2007, 09:16 AM
Yeah, blizzard hybrid disks is just another great aspect of that company (next to you know, the amazing games and all). It really made me happy when I switched over to still be able to get my SC fix.
Here, I circled them:
~G

The monitor I'm using projects a bit darkly, is there any way you can tell me what the letters are?

phillipjfry
May 18, 2007, 12:29 PM

If that's true, how come there are no horde to be found ganking childishly while school is in session????? :);)

TequilaBoobs
May 18, 2007, 01:51 PM
grr I thought the game would be released tomorrow, not announced! that sux! and with all this talk of typical delays... sounds like blizzard is following apple's example of releasing products.

mattscott306
May 18, 2007, 01:53 PM
grr I thought the game would be released tomorrow, not announced! that sux! and with all this talk of typical delays... sounds like blizzard is following apple's example of releasing products.

But like apple- blizzard is known for delivering quality products. I'll take a six month (or year) long delay over a buggy peice of junk any day.

TequilaBoobs
May 18, 2007, 02:00 PM
But like apple- blizzard is known for delivering quality products. I'll take a six month (or year) long delay over a buggy peice of junk any day.

u just dissed apple on an apple forum lol

TequilaBoobs
May 18, 2007, 02:03 PM
would starcraft 2 play like warcraft 3? im gosu at warcraft but dont remember how to play starcraft. but i believe they play similarly, no?

mattscott306
May 18, 2007, 02:11 PM
Not really...
would starcraft 2 play like warcraft 3? im gosu at warcraft but dont remember how to play starcraft. but i believe they play similarly, no?
They are both RTS's that involve plenty of micromanagement, but they represent different era's of technology. WC3 brought a focus on Heroes, whereas SC's hero unit's weren't quite as advanced in their usage. The game's play somewhat similar, but the differences are large enough that you can be quite experienced at one, yet not so great at the other.

sb58

no. he simply said they are both known for making quality products. he complimented apple, he didn't put them down.

Starcraft and Warcraft play very similarly

~Shard~

How could Blizzard possibly keep a game under such tight wraps that no one would hear anything about it until just before it's release? :confused: It's impossible. Plus, it would be a very poor marketing technique. You want to build hype for upcoming releases, get the word out and generate buzz and interest - anything else is poor business, plain and simple. As I stated, I never once thought this would be a release, rather an announcement.

And what are you referring to wrt your Apple comment? Apple announced it was delaying Leopard due to the iPhone and its associated QA issues - that's about the only example I can think of... please clarify which other ones you were thinking of - thanks.

bobber205
May 18, 2007, 02:12 PM

Different in many ways. WCIII was hero based and has slower paced combat. 100 units max kind of thing.

Starcraft is very fast paced and you often have dozens on just one type of unit. More like C&C, but even more awesome! :D

TequilaBoobs
May 18, 2007, 02:24 PM
Different in many ways. WCIII was hero based and has slower paced combat. 100 units max kind of thing.

Starcraft is very fast paced and you often have dozens on just one type of unit. More like C&C, but even more awesome! :D

i was hoping it would be similar to warcraft so i could pwn, but I also look forward to learning how to pwn in starcraft.

TequilaBoobs
May 18, 2007, 02:28 PM
How could Blizzard possibly keep a game under such tight wraps that no one would hear anything about it until just before it's release? :confused: It's impossible. Plus, it would be a very poor marketing technique. You want to build hype for upcoming releases, get the word out and generate buzz and interest - anything else is poor business, plain and simple. As I stated, I never once thought this would be a release, rather an announcement.

And what are you referring to wrt your Apple comment? Apple announced it was delaying Leopard due to the iPhone and its associated QA issues - that's about the only example I can think of... please clarify which other ones you were thinking of - thanks.

i was referring to leopard. if i had continued to wait to purchase my blackbook with leopard on it, i would be really pissed by now.

also, apple has long been known for lagging behind competitors in the processing department. i guess that wouldn't be a formal delay, but for people who like to keep abreast in the gadget world, it sux to buy cool products that are mediocre in use.

TequilaBoobs
May 18, 2007, 02:29 PM
no. he simply said they are both known for making quality products. he complimented apple, he didn't put them down.

Starcraft and Warcraft play very similarly

to everyone, I MISREAD HIS COMMENT :p now i know he was complimenting them. i thought he said, "unlike apple...."

topgunn
May 18, 2007, 02:39 PM
How I used to love playing Protoss and using a dark archon to steal a "peon" from another race thus allowing you to build all of their units not to mention giving you an additional 200 food. Admittedly, the opportunity didn't arrise very often and you were probably better off just wiping them out but it is just so much fun.

MyJelleo
May 18, 2007, 02:40 PM
I don't understand why everyone is talking about starcraft and warcraft; we should be talking about Hello Kitty's Island Adventure.

~Shard~
May 18, 2007, 02:57 PM
i was referring to leopard. if i had continued to wait to purchase my blackbook with leopard on it, i would be really pissed by now.

Ah okay, so you were overgeneralizing based on a solitary example, thanks for the clarification.

also, apple has long been known for lagging behind competitors in the processing department. i guess that wouldn't be a formal delay

You're correct, it wouldn't.

TequilaBoobs
May 18, 2007, 03:05 PM
Ah okay, so you were overgeneralizing based on a solitary example, thanks for the clarification.

You're correct, it wouldn't.

apple have delayed imac, iTV, iPod, G5s with NVidia GeForce 6800, just to name a few off of one google page. as Tom Cruise would say, "you're glib".

~Shard~
May 18, 2007, 03:21 PM
How I used to love playing Protoss and using a dark archon to steal a "peon" from another race thus allowing you to build all of their units not to mention giving you an additional 200 food. Admittedly, the opportunity didn't arrise very often and you were probably better off just wiping them out but it is just so much fun.

Yes, I quite enjoyed that as well. Nothing beats 12 Guardians & 12 Devourers cloaked by an Arbiter flanked with fully loaded Carriers! :D :cool:

mattscott306
May 18, 2007, 03:29 PM
Yes, I quite enjoyed that as well. Nothing beats 12 Guardians & 12 Devourers cloaked by an Arbiter flanked with fully loaded Carriers! :D :cool:

I had that happen to me once- I laughed my ass off because I was taken so by surprise. But what's better than that is the additional 200 units you can build, something I never really liked about RTS's is the pop limit. I like being able to build massive armies sometimes.. makes me feel more powerful. :D

~Shard~
May 18, 2007, 03:37 PM
apple have delayed imac, iTV, iPod, G5s with NVidia GeForce 6800, just to name a few off of one google page.

Thanks for the clarification - all you initially cited was the Leopard delay, nothing more, which failed to substantiate your implications, which is why I said what I said. So now I see you're comparing Blizzard's delays to a company (i.e. Apple) which has had product delays before, in which case you could use Apple or practically any other product-producing company in the world for this comparison. Thanks for clarifying this wasn't an Apple-speciifc problem/complaint. :)

as Tom Cruise would say, "you're glib".

I'm artfully persuasive in speech? Thanks! :) I'll assume you meant to compliment me in this way, because the only other definition of "glib" that I'm aware of is a harsh personal insult which is of course a bannable offense here at MacRumors.

I had that happen to me once- I laughed my ass off because I was taken so by surprise. But what's better than that is the additional 200 units you can build, something I never really liked about RTS's is the pop limit. I like being able to build massive armies sometimes.. makes me feel more powerful. :D

Yeah, I know what you mean, but it can simply get excessive after a while too. Having a population limit (as long as it's reasonable) ensures that strategy is employed and that intelligent tactics are required, not just throwing mass armies at an enemy - not much skill in that. ;) (Although I never said it still isn't fun. :D)

TequilaBoobs
May 18, 2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the clarification - all you initially cited was the Leopard delay, nothing more, which failed to substantiate your implications, which is why I said what I said. So now I see you're comparing Blizzard's delays to a company (i.e. Apple) which has had product delays before, in which case you could use Apple or practically any other product-producing company in the world for this comparison. Thanks for clarifying this wasn't an Apple-speciifc problem/complaint. :)

I'm artfully persuasive in speech? Thanks! :) I'll assume you meant to compliment me in this way, because the only other definition of "glib" that I'm aware of is a harsh personal insult which is of course a bannable offense here at MacRumors.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but it can simply get excessive after a while too. Having a population limit (as long as it's reasonable) ensures that strategy is employed and that intelligent tactics are required, not just throwing mass armies at an enemy - not much skill in that. ;) (Although I never said it still isn't fun. :D)

hey did i strike a nerve? it seems youre a little defensive. dont worry, it's perfectly normal after I just gave you 5 examples to refute your cute attempt at disproving me. maybe the only example of leopard came to mind, but as an apple fan i have the impression that apple delays products - which I artfully substantiated, if i do say so myself.

hey if using the word bannable makes you feel powerful, i suggest using it 10 times a day. if i were a paper tiger, id probably swing my weight around more often, too. :D

~Shard~
May 18, 2007, 06:17 PM
hey did i strike a nerve? it seems youre a little defensive. dont worry, it's perfectly normal after I just gave you 5 examples to refute your cute attempt at disproving me. maybe the only example of leopard came to mind, but as an apple fan i have the impression that apple delays products - which I artfully substantiated, if i do say so myself.

hey if using the word bannable makes you feel powerful, i suggest using it 10 times a day. if i were a paper tiger, id probably swing my weight around more often, too. :D

Haha, thanks for the laugh buddy, that reply was awesome! I apologize, I thought pretty much everyone here knew I was the MacRumors Bastard™ and that I always poke fun and so forth like this, all in good fun. Usually people don't get so worked up about it, however judging from your reply, evidently you were not aware of this, so I apologize, as I was only having fun - I just didn't think you would "take the bait" so to speak and be led on so easily like that! :o Sorry that I caused you to overreact, that wasn't my intention, although I have been told I'm an effective bastard in that respect! :D ;) No need to worry though, we're all among friends here! I'm sure everyone has had a good laugh, so I hope you aren't upset now. :)

Again, my apologies - take care and absolutely no hard feelings man. ;) :)

Now, back to the important topic at hand - Starcraft 2 (I really really really hope, come on Blizzard don't let me down! ;))

job
May 18, 2007, 07:01 PM
I really hope SC2 (if it is what's coming out) differs from WC3 a bit. As much as the Heros thing is fun, I loved building massive armies just like everyone else.

AoWolf
May 18, 2007, 07:30 PM
So we have what 3-6 hours?

~Shard~
May 18, 2007, 08:00 PM
So we have what 3-6 hours?

Well, it's not even the 19th here yet, so I'd say at least one more day - but it does depend on what time zone they're basing things from. Regardless, we'll know soon enough!

Dam, I'm really pumped for Starcraft 2 now - I can't believe this could actually be a reality! If it isn't I'm going to be choked! :(

Chone
May 18, 2007, 08:39 PM
Well its 10:30 AM (of the 19th) in Korea right now and thats where they are announcing so I don't think we'll have to wait long to find out.

~Shard~
May 18, 2007, 08:45 PM
Well its 10:30 AM (of the 19th) in Korea right now and thats where they are announcing so I don't think we'll have to wait long to find out.

Oh, excellent then, that's great! I'll keep my eyes peeled on the good old Interweb for updates. And for some reason I think the news will get posted here in this thread pretty quickly as well... ;)

bobber205
May 18, 2007, 10:16 PM
Oh, excellent then, that's great! I'll keep my eyes peeled on the good old Interweb for updates. And for some reason I think the news will get posted here in this thread pretty quickly as well... ;)

So it's sooner than I thought huh? AWESOME! :D

mattscott306
May 18, 2007, 10:56 PM
Somewhere in the neighborhood of three hours left... grr, there's no way I'm staying up that late.

~Shard~
May 18, 2007, 10:57 PM
Somewhere in the neighborhood of three hours left... grr, there's no way I'm staying up that late.

Heaven knows I am! :D

mattscott306
May 18, 2007, 11:20 PM
Heaven knows I am! :D

I'm quite tempted to, but how sad would that be... I'd stay up about 3 hours later than I normally do over a video game?

I'll probably end up staying out till midnight when the game releases to get that...

Yeah, I'll admit it: I'm a geek.

pknz
May 18, 2007, 11:22 PM
Isn't the 20th in Korea more like 12 hours away?

mattscott306
May 18, 2007, 11:29 PM
Isn't the 20th in Korea more like 12 hours away?

It's 1:30 pm in Seoul right now.

Xavier
May 18, 2007, 11:37 PM
I just might have to stay up :)

AoWolf
May 19, 2007, 12:31 AM
Well, it's not even the 19th here yet, so I'd say at least one more day - but it does depend on what time zone they're basing things from. Regardless, we'll know soon enough!

Dam, I'm really pumped for Starcraft 2 now - I can't believe this could actually be a reality! If it isn't I'm going to be choked! :(

Anyone reading this thread wanting to know whats going on live:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/788/788627p1.html

Chaszmyr
May 19, 2007, 12:45 AM
I'm confused. The live update on IGN implies that they are about to make the new game announcement, but I thought the announcement was tomorrow night?

~Shard~
May 19, 2007, 12:46 AM
Anyone reading this thread wanting to know whats going on live:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/788/788627p1.html

Great, thanks for the link, that's exactly what I'll do! :)

Demon Hunter
May 19, 2007, 12:50 AM
2:49 - Mike Morhaime takes stage to make announcement.

I can't stand it anymore!

Maclarny
May 19, 2007, 12:51 AM
To clarify for everyone; the thread was created quite a while ago on older information. The announcement date is actually the 19th.

Also, as if Blizzard isn't heaping on the suspense enough, they have put something called the "Medusa Demo" on the itinerary for the day.

Read Here (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159629)

Chaszmyr
May 19, 2007, 01:02 AM
Blizzard announced Starcraft 2 :(

I knew it was coming, and I will buy it, but I was really hoping for Diablo 3 or a new franchise with gameplay like Diablo.

~Shard~
May 19, 2007, 01:09 AM
Yes!!! Starcraft 2!!! It's true!!! Sure, I have no idea what the details are yet, but just the fact that it is indeed going to be a reality is good enough for me! :D :cool:

Demon Hunter
May 19, 2007, 01:12 AM
Blizzard announced Starcraft 2 :(

I knew it was coming, and I will buy it, but I was really hoping for Diablo 3 or a new franchise with gameplay like Diablo.

Have you heard of Hellgate: London?

As for StarCraft 2, I am overcome with joy. Diablo 3 will come later.

ReanimationLP
May 19, 2007, 01:22 AM
*Does the happy dance*

Starcraft 2. Oh ********** yes! :D :D :D :D

Benjamin
May 19, 2007, 01:35 AM
Mothership, that's all I have to say.

bobber205
May 19, 2007, 01:39 AM
#@$ YEAH! :D :D :D

At last!

pknz
May 19, 2007, 01:44 AM
3:26 - Showing another video of "things to come." concept art for SC2 - zerg landscapes - ruined terran structures - freen filds - SC2 looks, at least visually, strikingly similar to SC1 - both in unit and map designs.

Hmm no improved visuals?

Have to wait for pics I guess.

Chaszmyr
May 19, 2007, 01:45 AM
Hmm no improved visuals?

Have to wait for pics I guess.

I'm sure the visuals are greatly improved, but I have to admit that I would have expected fairly dramatic changes after 9 years.

Benjamin
May 19, 2007, 02:07 AM
CGI announce trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXoekeDIW8)
IGN transcript (http://pc.ign.com/articles/788/788627p1.html)
IGN screenshots (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/imgs_1.html)
Gamespy Art (http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/850/850126/imgs_2.html)
Game Footage (http://tvpot.daum.net/theme/ThemeView.do?themeid=122&lu=m_mono_1)

evilgEEk
May 19, 2007, 02:35 AM
Just saw the stills on ign.

Two words.

Freaking Incredible!

Okay, two more.

About Time!

:D

I haven't been excited about a PC video game since WarCraft III. Thank you Blizzard!!

:D:D

TequilaBoobs
May 19, 2007, 02:47 AM
CGI announce trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXoekeDIW8)
IGN transcript (http://pc.ign.com/articles/788/788627p1.html)
IGN screenshots (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/imgs_1.html)
Gamespy Art (http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/850/850126/imgs_2.html)

blizzard pwns...

kitki83
May 19, 2007, 04:09 AM
Just saw the website from blizzard, stills and Cinematic Intro, I got to say WOW!! I was wanting Diablo3 but omg. People where totally awing at the effects and new units. Its really awesome. Now let see when it comes out 2010?

Love it

Benjamin
May 19, 2007, 04:14 AM
Yep official site is up and running, http://www.starcraft2.com/. Looks like a better version of the game play will be up on the 20th. :)

~Shard~
May 19, 2007, 01:28 PM
Well, I have completely scoured the Starcraft 2 site now and have soaked it all in. This looks amazing, and it's just the beginning! I'll be checking back on a regular basis as they post more information on the units, etc. I'll be eager to hear what the release date will be as well.

mattscott306
May 19, 2007, 01:45 PM
Well, I have completely scoured the Starcraft 2 site now and have soaked it all in. This looks amazing, and it's just the beginning! I'll be checking back on a regular basis as they post more information on the units, etc. I'll be eager to hear what the release date will be as well.

Not to mention the gameplay video available tomorrow! :D

~Shard~
May 19, 2007, 02:12 PM
Not to mention the gameplay video available tomorrow! :D

Yeah, I'll be looking forward to that as well! I have a feeling there is a lot more to this game than we've seen so far though - Blizzard is holding a lot back, perhaps even a 4th playable race, who knows! :eek: ;) :D

JPT
May 19, 2007, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I'll be looking forward to that as well! I have a feeling there is a lot more to this game than we've seen so far though - Blizzard is holding a lot back, perhaps even a 4th playable race, who knows! :eek: ;) :D

They never said there are only 3... They just said the original 3 are returning and new units... :D

How many races are in StarCraft II? In StarCraft II, players will see the return of the Protoss, Terran, and Zerg races. Our goal is to ensure that all the factions in the game play even more distinctly from one another than in the original StarCraft, while still maintaining the fine balance that helped make StarCraft such a classic. We're also introducing a number of new units to each race, as well as modifying some of the familiar units returning in StarCraft II. With these design refinements and the new features we have planned for the single-player and multiplayer elements of the game, StarCraft II will offer a next-generation StarCraft experience.

~Shard~
May 19, 2007, 06:57 PM
They never said there are only 3... They just said the original 3 are returning and new units... :D

Precisely. :D We may not only learn more (and see more) of the Xel'naga but there is also the unfinished business surrounding Duran and the Zerg-Protoss hybrids during Zeratul's secret mission in Brood War. I believe somewhere on the new site is says that the story takes off basically where Brood War left off, so I think there's a good chance there will be much more in store for us rather than just a few new units along with a few new abilities for existing units. ;) :cool:

Fearless Leader
May 19, 2007, 09:08 PM
hot damn. This is amazing. I love you blizzard.

mattscott306
May 19, 2007, 09:27 PM
Precisely. :D We may not only learn more (and see more) of the Xel'naga but there is also the unfinished business surrounding Duran and the Zerg-Protoss hybrids during Zeratul's secret mission in Brood War. I believe somewhere on the new site is says that the story takes off basically where Brood War left off, so I think there's a good chance there will be much more in store for us rather than just a few new units along with a few new abilities for existing units. ;) :cool:

I doubt we'll gain an entire fourth race off of the hybrids, but who knows- I do think we'll at least see some Xel'Naga characters- if not an entire faction.

I'm wrong
The panel also confirmed that the sequel will have only the three factions of the Protoss, Terrans, and Zerg; there will be no fourth faction. To address another question, the panel suggested that the resource management system in the sequel will feature "some enhancements, but it will still be very similar to the resource management in Starcraft, and just as important.
Link (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/starcraft2/news.html?sid=6171172)

~Shard~
May 19, 2007, 11:26 PM
I doubt we'll gain an entire fourth race off of the hybrids, but who knows- I do think we'll at least see some Xel'Naga characters- if not an entire faction.

I'm wrong

Link (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/starcraft2/news.html?sid=6171172)

Thanks for that, good to know. That's too bad in a way, but on the other hand, if they are making significant enhancements and augmentations to the existing races, then perhaps adding a fourth into the mix would simply be too much. I'm hoping that we will have our hands full with the original 3 races then. ;) :)

But, if hybrids are in the storyline, perhaps we will at least interface with them or have to battle them - we just won't be able to play as them, that's all... ...until the expansion pack that is... :D :cool:

bobber205
May 19, 2007, 11:44 PM
If the game will be released "this year" do you think there's enough time to warrant a beta?

Fearless Leader
May 19, 2007, 11:50 PM
If the game will be released "this year" do you think there's enough time to warrant a beta?

public Beta's are usually 3-6 months but anywhere from 2-18 months is also possible. So since we have 6 months to go before end of year, 3 months of beta, 2 months of production and distribution, and a month to sell for holidays.

so maybe

JPT
May 20, 2007, 05:32 AM
Gameplay vids@

http://www.irserious.com/2007/05/19/starcraft-2-gameplay-videos/

Wow... The Zerg one is AWESOME!

~Shard~
May 20, 2007, 10:46 AM
Wow, nice! Hopefully they'll have the one posted on the Starcraft 2 site soon - it says "Coming Soon"... :cool:

Fearless Leader
May 20, 2007, 11:28 AM
wow I have never wanted a game more. Those videos are amazing.

~Shard~
May 20, 2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to come out of gaming retirement for this one... :cool:

mattscott306
May 20, 2007, 03:12 PM
Gameplay vids@

http://www.irserious.com/2007/05/19/starcraft-2-gameplay-videos/
One thing I found interesting was the selection sounds- when you have one character selected it answers with I when you have multiples you get a "we" response. Nice touch.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to come out of gaming retirement for this one... :cool:

Seriously- this looks so complete I wonder when it'll be available- I'll probably be losing a lot of sleep around that time.