PDA

View Full Version : iSight

robotrenegade
Jun 25, 2003, 12:48 PM
i just got mine today and in 15min of using it got really hot. Anyone else seen this?

pinks
Jun 25, 2003, 01:08 PM
Sorry don't have answer to your question as I don't have one (yet!).

I would really appreciate it though if you could you give us a little insight into the dimensions of the camera, and the different mechanisms for attaching it to the displays! i.e. from what you can see, can the camera be attached to non-Mac displays, or indeed older generation powerbook displays.

- Al

robotrenegade
Jun 25, 2003, 01:56 PM
It's about 3-4x1.5.
http://www.deaddroidrecords.com/isight/isight-1.jpg
http://www.deaddroidrecords.com/isight/isight-2.jpg
http://www.deaddroidrecords.com/isight/isight-3.jpg
http://www.deaddroidrecords.com/isight/isight-4.jpg
http://www.deaddroidrecords.com/isight/isight-15.jpg

pinks
Jun 25, 2003, 03:06 PM
Oh man, that is one seriously cool setup you have. Many thanks for the pictures. The iSight looks really nice.

I hope you get the heating issue sorted.

Cheers

Al

Richard Lee
Jun 25, 2003, 03:46 PM
robotrenegade, does the firewire plug have 4 or 6 pins?

I'm wondering if I could use it on a Windows XP box with firewire port.

iJon
Jun 25, 2003, 04:23 PM
it cant be a 4 pin, because then it would need external power supply, so its 6 to 6 pin. a friend called me up with his isight and it didnt look to great, so ill have to play with it when it comes in. but i wasnt that impressed

iJon

robotrenegade
Jun 25, 2003, 04:40 PM
6 TO 6. If anyone has this thing please im me. I would like to try the video out.

Alito
Jun 25, 2003, 04:47 PM
Can you use the isight with imovie?

robotrenegade
Jun 25, 2003, 04:51 PM
Nope, and that sucks. I don't think you can record with it. BOOOOOO

Mal
Jun 25, 2003, 04:52 PM
Could someone who has an iSight please post a screenshot of the video, maybe a link so we can see the full quality? That would help a lot. Thanks!

JW

Alito
Jun 25, 2003, 04:53 PM
Very strange!!
i think that it will work perfect with imovie.
maybe later

robotrenegade
Jun 25, 2003, 04:55 PM
I just tried Final Cut Pro 3 and I still get nothing.

Alito
Jun 25, 2003, 05:02 PM
So, only works with ichat??

robotrenegade
Jun 25, 2003, 05:55 PM
Seems like it.

Kwyjibo
Jun 25, 2003, 06:14 PM
i have one and it owrks with all the current webcam programs. I'll post a clipon my site later of mpeg4 at medium quality.

Alito
Jun 25, 2003, 06:18 PM
Ok great!!

Richard Lee
Jun 25, 2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
i have one and it owrks with all the current webcam programs. I'll post a clipon my site later of mpeg4 at medium quality.

Does that include Windows webcam programs?

swahilibill
Jun 25, 2003, 09:21 PM
If someone wants to video chat, I got my Canon hooked up, Video IM me at:

s80126@aol

Kwyjibo
Jun 25, 2003, 09:58 PM
arn was nice enough to host the video on his server

I filmed it using BTV pro Carbon
320x240 ~looked cleare than 640x480
24fps
Mpeg-4 Compression

used my isight ofcouse

I added extra lights to hopefully get more details in the video. the subject is my dog leila shes a lab mix.

the video looks pretty good in ichat

it looks ok..the bottom line, its still a webcam
i've only tried it with macwebcam programs

http://www.macrumors.com/downloads/isightsample.mov

Alito
Jun 25, 2003, 10:10 PM
Very good sample!!
the quality of the isight seems pretty good.

Kwyjibo
Jun 25, 2003, 10:11 PM
thx.... i tried to find a way to show a good sample of quality without hogging too much bandwith

Alito
Jun 25, 2003, 10:14 PM
Can you post some pictures of the isight?

iJon
Jun 25, 2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Alito
Can you post some pictures of the isight?
scroll up. what the hell keith, that looks much better than when we tried it. did you play with it.

iJon

Kwyjibo
Jun 25, 2003, 10:43 PM
ok... thats at a smaller size, and i took one of my dads lights, the kinda you use under the car and hung it up in the room...it might be ichat screwing up the lightin, i will have to mess around more

robotrenegade
Jun 26, 2003, 10:29 AM
Someone im me. I would like to try this out.

Tommy!
Jun 26, 2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by robotrenegade
Nope, and that sucks. I don't think you can record with it. BOOOOOO

Ya know what would be really cool? Making log-in movies! Like when someone goes on your guest account, it will automatically play a movie of someone saying like "welcome" or something. Or when you log onto your account u could have ur lover/friend come up! They are stupid to not let it record, you could make such cool movies with your friends in front of your computer

joshuajestelle
Jun 26, 2003, 12:01 PM
It seems ridiculous to me that iSight wouldn't be able to record?

Can anyone verify if they've gotten it to record?

If it works with other Webcam software you'd think that software could record video to disk, correct?

Hmmm.

Josh

MacBoyX
Jun 26, 2003, 12:21 PM
I have an iBot WebCam and it cannot be used in FCP or iMovie either. That's why that guy had to use the app that came with my iBot, BTV Carbon.

I gotta sell this thing to get an iSight :)

MacBoyX

Kwyjibo
Jun 26, 2003, 08:14 PM
the isight can record via apps like BTV Pro and other webcam apps that work with other firewire webcams...the link i provided earlier in this thread shows the computer can record from it.

KBFinFan
Jun 26, 2003, 10:25 PM
When I stopped in the Apple store yesterday I was really in awe of how seemlessly the iSight worked. I mean, it was in the Apple store so it obviously worked perfectly, but still I need to get myself one of them suckers.

robotrenegade
Jun 27, 2003, 01:47 AM
yeah i talk to two people today and it worked great.

Sonar
Jun 27, 2003, 01:39 PM
So is the quality really better than the iBot, i think i am getting mine tomorrow with a 10 gig ipod, but how does it look when recording? thx

iJon
Jun 27, 2003, 02:46 PM
well i got mine and i havent liked it so far. i cant get it to work over a LAN. i know its not the isight, its the software, but it's no good to me if i cant use it over a lan. when i connect to another computer it hoses. it hoses from isight to another cmputer with camcorder and vice versa. now it does work over the net and it works just fine. even 1 way chats dont work. im just gonna have to play with it tonight and see what i can do.

robotrenegade
Jun 27, 2003, 05:01 PM
I don't know how to record with it yet. Ijon i'll chat with you with you want to try it out.

iJon
Jun 27, 2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by robotrenegade
I don't know how to record with it yet. Ijon i'll chat with you with you want to try it out.
yeah ill check it out later tonight. im gonna take home the demo model and play with it some. i was reading on apples sites and it gave me a range of about 6 ports of open on the firewall. i that this is suppose to work on the text layer of AIM. im even more confused because ive done this at my house without open ports and it still worked. i wonder if opening those ports will get me better fps. highest ive gotten so far is about 16fps, nothing exciting there.

iJon

Toppa G's
Jun 29, 2003, 08:45 PM
I just got an iSight...has anyone tried to use it with QuickTime Broadcaster? Not sure of how good the quality would be or anything like that, but it seems to work somewhat for recording to disk.

Schiffi
Jun 29, 2003, 08:59 PM
Well, if anyone wants to donate to me via Paypal my email is jonshipman@yahoo.de

iJon
Jun 29, 2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Schiffi
Well, if anyone wants to donate to me via Paypal my email is jonshipman@yahoo.de
why would we give you money.

iJon

Sedulous
Jun 29, 2003, 09:26 PM
Yeah, the iSight camera does get "hot". A CCD will do that... and the hotter it gets the grainer the picture will get. Likewise, who knows how the power works but maybe there is a small transformer in there that adds to the heat.

I am rather pleased with how it works and I'm glad to say it is easy enough to setup such that I think I will get one for my parents.

iJon
Jun 30, 2003, 07:12 PM
well i was going to play some gamecube but my av cables werent plugged in and i swited the channel 3 and i saw my school board doing some stuff. it just so happened to be about the schools video confrencing. video looked pretty good but he started moving and sound didnt even sync. they were talking about how to stare at a big black box and it does it over the network. then they said this is really good for $2100. i was like holy s***. then i realized what apple has done is so awesome. i know that isight would look great over our school's lan. the person who was being broadcasted on the school board is a personal friend and a mac user that i work with a lot. i think ill stop by and see him with my isight in my pocket.

iJon

BaghdadBob
Jun 30, 2003, 07:36 PM
I was by an Apple specialty store in Bellingham today, TD Curran or something, and they had an iSight hooked up to a 15 inch PB. I was pretty impressed, it was real smooth and good picture quality. It looked as good as the feedback you see from most camcorders at Walmart they have hooked up to those little TVs. Anyway.

G5orbust
Jun 30, 2003, 08:08 PM
Everyone check out my isight review here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30983)

It my personal thoughts and an unbiased, subjective review of all the known features of the iSight.

reed1978
Jun 30, 2004, 11:30 PM
we just got the iSight. we downloaded the $30 software (iChat AV). we want to video chat with our parents in SA. they have a PC and some cheep webcam. we can see and hear them fine when we are on msn (of course they can't see or hear us) when we both log out of msn and log into AIM and try to use the iSight through AIM nothing seems to work. we can't even invite them to a video chat. we have looked on the internet for information on this problem. people have mentioned that the PC user needs to have Windows XP (2000 is not good enough), they need to have AIM 5.5, there might be firewall restrictions etc. we know that other people have succeeded in video chatting between Mac and PC. we are about ready to throw this iSight against the wall...we have wasted so much time trying to make this thing work. is it that impossible? can someone please offer some advise because we are desperate.

Ps. calling 1-800-MY-APPLE is also a total waste of time since they have 18 year old kids who answer the phone...

Also, if there is someone who has an iSight (or any webcam for that matter) and would be willing to video chat with us, we would really appreciate that. At least we might be able to determine then whether the problem is with us or somewhere else. Our AIM sreenname is plaasjapie2004 and we will be logged on the entire day on Thursday, 1 July 2004.