Maclarny
May 19, 2007, 01:05 AM
bah, beat me to it :-D

Chaszmyr
May 19, 2007, 01:06 AM
I beat you both to it in the ongoing thread :p

Winterfell
May 19, 2007, 01:49 AM
Holy cow I've been waiting on this for years! I'm so unbelievably excited!!!! Haha, wow. StarCraft was a staple during High School. /reminisce.

angelneo
May 19, 2007, 02:11 AM
Anyone have any links to images of the gameplay footages shown?

Chaszmyr
May 19, 2007, 02:15 AM
Anyone have any links to images of the gameplay footages shown?

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/imgs_1.html

Mr.Texor
May 19, 2007, 02:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXoekeDIW8

Eidorian
May 19, 2007, 02:55 AM
Alright it should be out on Mac on release! Thank God for Blizzard. :D

Multi-threading OpenGL is a must!

Benjamin
May 19, 2007, 03:13 AM
Game footage

http://tvpot.daum.net/theme/ThemeView.do?themeid=122&lu=m_mono_1

first 3 videos, english announcer, basically everything that was said in the transcript was copied from what the announcer was talking about while playing. Personally the screenshots don't do justice to what the game play looks like, even though the vids pretty bad in quality.

xparaparafreakx
May 19, 2007, 04:25 AM
Will StarCraft II be available on Mac simultaneously with PC?
As with all of Blizzard's recent releases, StarCraft II will ship on both PC and Mac simultaneously.

Very nice.

I was wondering why blizzard was getting the Havok engine for.

Havok physics have been integrated into the engine for added realism as well.

Rocksaurus
May 19, 2007, 05:02 AM
All I can say is THANK GOD. Wow I'm so happy right now. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Voidness
May 19, 2007, 05:08 AM
Hell, it's about time.
Haha, that's hilarious! :D

I wonder if StarCraft 2 is going to work on PowerPC systems. I've read on Gamespot that Blizzard started working on StarCraft 2 shortly after The Frozen Throne in 2003, and that was when we were promised a 3GHz Powermac in 12 months :)

Anyhow, there goes the hopes of a Lost Vikings sequel :( :p

thejadedmonkey
May 19, 2007, 05:36 AM
I'm just worried, how can you update something that's so perfect already. And it doesn't look like a sequal, but more like an updated SC1.

I would've preferred a whole new franchise, or D3, but oh well.
SC2's gonna kick some major butt! :p

padré
May 19, 2007, 06:16 AM
well its nice to see stratcraft II, i will probebly pick this game up.

however, I must say that i'm pretty dissapointed, it looks like an updated starcraft II, like thejadedmonkey said before me.

but...there should be more, i mean on their site the job oppertunities tell us that they are looking for people to work on an next gen mmorpg, i sure hope they are talking about diablo 3, although i don't want diablo 3 to be a mmorpg.
anyways thats kinda of topic.

ok i'm off again, cya guys, and sry for my poor english :)

Mantronix
May 19, 2007, 07:16 AM
Best gaming news. Glad to see they went with the RTS route than the rumored MMO. Between EQ and WoW I had my fill of MMOs for a long time.

Motley
May 19, 2007, 07:25 AM
Haha, that's hilarious! :D

I wonder if StarCraft 2 is going to work on PowerPC systems.

Well since this is Blizzard, I'm assuming we still have a few years until the thing is actually released, which means at that point it will probably be intel only :(

Xeem
May 19, 2007, 07:32 AM
I'm actually glad it looks like an updated Starcraft rather than Warcraft 3: Starcraft Edition. Although it appears very similar to the first game, the 3D models and new lighting effects will give it more visual depth than screenshots can convey. Looks like it's time for me to play through SC and Brood Wars again...

mattscott306
May 19, 2007, 08:01 AM
Wow the game looks amazing! I'm still waiting on the CGI intro video to load, but I'm and bubbly as a schoolgirl right now. :D :D :D

Andrew D.
May 19, 2007, 08:06 AM
Yes! Finally! And of course Blizzard covers compatibility with Mac computers! I can't wait, this game is going to be great.. hopefully. Don't let us down Blizzard!

jesteraver
May 19, 2007, 08:51 AM
I die!!!!!

Finally a game worth buying

Chone
May 19, 2007, 09:03 AM
Yeah the game thus far looks like 3D Starcraft I but hopefully Blizzard will add enough stuff to make it fresh, I LOVE the new races design, terrans no longer look like poorly done cartoons and Protoss look really cool now. Though thats just artwork and CGI... ingame terrans look horrible.

It doesn't look like they are changing the gameplay much, it would have been nice to see heroes and a 4th race but WC3 has proved that heroes and 4 races make for a game tough to balance.

In any case, even if its just a 3D Starcraft expansion (which it is so far) with updated game mechanics (like the tab caster system from WC3) then I'm already pretty excited :), I'm just glad its not a MMORPG.

Dagless
May 19, 2007, 09:09 AM
I can't wait :)

In the meantime somebody bring us Starcraft DS.

QCassidy352
May 19, 2007, 09:50 AM
I wonder what the system requirements will be...

mattscott306
May 19, 2007, 10:11 AM
I wonder what the system requirements will be...

In their faq it sounded like they were planning on making it fairly compatible with older technology.

thejadedmonkey
May 19, 2007, 10:30 AM
It doesn't look like they are changing the gameplay much, it would have been nice to see heroes and a 4th race but WC3 has proved that heroes and 4 races make for a game tough to balance.
Noooo, never! Then it really would be like the WC2>WC3 transition.

sb58
May 19, 2007, 11:16 AM
i was hoping for a new race, but i guess the protoss are fine for me :D

SamIchi
May 19, 2007, 11:27 AM
I hope I can play it on my MB...

mattscott306
May 19, 2007, 12:14 PM
No need for a new race- besides, the only other race would have been the Xel'Naga- though there's nothing saying that they won't make an appearance..
I hope I can play it on my MB...

I think you'll be able to- like I said earlier, they sounded like they were going to have enough options to "dumb it down" for an older computer.

Mydel
May 19, 2007, 12:17 PM
Any news on Diablo 3??:(

Winterfell
May 19, 2007, 12:23 PM
I liked Diablo 2, loved WarCraft, but in all honestly, screw it.

StarCraft was always my favorite; more so than Diablo or WarCraft.

I didn't see anyone mention the official website, http://www.starcraft2.com/, but it has a lot of tasty information, cinematics, screenshots, wallpapers, and info about the game.

I'm SO EXCITED!

Pressure
May 19, 2007, 12:35 PM
I cried a bit when I saw it :D

I have practically grown up with this game, absolutely love it.

Can't wait :)

Chris14
May 19, 2007, 03:05 PM
Any guesses on the System Requirement of SC2?
Will my poor little X1600 cut it???

FullCollapse
May 19, 2007, 03:16 PM
i'm pleased with the way they're taking the game so far (3 races, still RTS) and i'm very much looking forward to this game. i'm just hoping that the current technology won't be too outdated to play it when it's finally released.

Xeem
May 19, 2007, 03:29 PM
Any guesses on the System Requirement of SC2?
Will my poor little X1600 cut it???

It had better! Starcraft's greatest selling point outside of its awesome gameplay/story/everything was that it ran very well on even the crappiest of hardware. I'm even hoping that my iBook will run it multiplayer, although I do have a gaming PC that I'll definitely play the campaign on.

phuong
May 19, 2007, 03:51 PM

there will be a new race. called Xel Naga - ancestor of Zerg and Protoss.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Fclh0f0Ac&mode=related&search=

phuong
May 19, 2007, 03:54 PM
game play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1KnmnFxHoE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1RxXko-AnM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=050akGtHDM4

Eidorian
May 19, 2007, 03:56 PM
The minimum requirements for Starcraft back in 1998 was a Pentium 90/PowerPC 601. I've seen people run it on slower machines too.

When it came out computers were much more powerful then that. I expect Starcraft II to be backwards compatible at least 2-3 years from release.

Don't forget Blizzard doesn't skimp on pushing OS X either. They were the first out with multi-threaded OpenGL.

AoWolf
May 19, 2007, 04:00 PM
A few things to consider: The game is clearly still in alpha build and who knows what the story will be about. As for the Xel'naga they may add them in an expansion or they may be a non playable or campaign race such as the naga in WCIII.

AoWolf
May 19, 2007, 04:02 PM
The minimum requirements for Starcraft back in 1998 was a Pentium 90/PowerPC 601. I've seen people run it on slower machines too.

When it came out computers were much more powerful then that. I expect Starcraft II to be backwards compatible at least 2-3 years from release.

Don't forget Blizzard doesn't skimp on pushing OS X either. They were the first out with multi-threaded OpenGL.

Its really just like WCIII with a physics engine and more polygons on screen. I am sure it will be ram intensive.

Eidorian
May 19, 2007, 04:04 PM
From what I've read Starcraft II is intended to release this October.

Tom B.
May 19, 2007, 04:11 PM
I think this has convinced me to get a MacBook Pro, rather that just a MacBook. :) Probably a 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB refurb. :)

AoWolf
May 19, 2007, 04:27 PM

From the blizzard site: When is the game coming out?
At this point, it's too early to provide an initial estimate on the release date. As with all Blizzard games, we will take as much time as needed to ensure the game is as fun, balanced, and polished as possible.

As was mentioned in the Q&A anything is open to be changed. If the game was coming out this year we would be hearing about betas.

mattscott306
May 19, 2007, 04:29 PM

That's really soon... can you cite your sources?

Chaszmyr
May 19, 2007, 07:46 PM

I don't believe it for an instant.

Eidorian
May 19, 2007, 08:11 PM
I'm a so bad... (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39724)

We left the best thing for the last. Traditionally, Blizzard was always announcing titles years before they will come to life. My first touch with World of WarCraft happened on ECTS in 2001, first touch with Diablo II and its add-on came during E3 and ECTS 2000 and so on. But now, StarCraft II is not being announced year or two prior to release. Blizzard has stated that the company will release this game in October of this year.

So, you can mark your calendars ready, Q4 of this year will be quite an interesting one. µ

~fu fu fu

Chaszmyr
May 19, 2007, 08:22 PM
I'm a so bad... (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39724)

~fu fu fu

I still don't believe it for an instant.

bobber205
May 19, 2007, 08:56 PM
When I get this game (the day it comes out) bye bye WoW. At least for a couple months. ;)

Demon Hunter
May 20, 2007, 12:25 AM
When I get this game (the day it comes out) bye bye WoW. At least for a couple months. ;)

No kidding, they are both vying for my heart as it is!

I was hoping for the Xel'Naga as a playable race, but that could easily ruin the game.

Soulstorm
May 20, 2007, 07:44 AM

EDIT:
Blizzard themselves say in the official site that they don't even have an estimate. How could I believe something as unofficial such as the link you just gave?

Cabbit
May 20, 2007, 08:37 AM
EDIT:
Blizzard themselves say in the official site that they don't even have an estimate. How could I believe something as unofficial such as the link you just gave?

form what i heard its the beta thats due in october.

mattscott306
May 20, 2007, 03:18 PM
form what i heard its the beta thats due in october.

I thought blizzards site said they didn't know about the Beta yet...

BlackDan
May 20, 2007, 04:34 PM
I... need... this....

No joke: I'm actually thinking of installing a win98 in Parallels to reinstall/replay the original SC+brood wars!

Eidorian
May 20, 2007, 05:02 PM
I... need... this....

No joke: I'm actually thinking of installing a win98 in Parallels to reinstall/replay the original SC+brood wars!It's not like you can't run it in OS X unless you have to original Windows only discs.

BlackDan
May 20, 2007, 05:47 PM
It's not like you can't run it in OS X unless you have to original Windows only discs.

indeed, win only discs... :o

maybe i need to look around on ebay...

mattscott306
May 20, 2007, 05:47 PM
It's not like you can't run it in OS X unless you have to original Windows only discs.

since those disks havent been made in years, I think he just didn't know that...

Eidorian
May 20, 2007, 06:10 PM
$20 for the Battle Chest and it comes with the Mac version. You just need to get the OS X installer of of Blizzard at worst.

bobber205
May 20, 2007, 07:18 PM
Do you guys think the footage on sc2 .com will be new or old?

BlizZ10
May 20, 2007, 09:52 PM
what if i need it for pc and mac? :(

Eidorian
May 20, 2007, 09:53 PM
what if i need it for pc and mac? :(You're fine with the current discs.

BlizZ10
May 20, 2007, 09:55 PM
You're fine with the current discs.

in other words? lol... i dont get what ur saying... sorry
:)

phuong
May 21, 2007, 02:08 AM
it'll run on both mac and pc it's that simple.
and, it dont run on parallels, only bootcamp.

Eidorian
May 21, 2007, 02:19 AM
in other words? lol... i dont get what ur saying... sorry
:)The current Starcraft: Battle Chest discs (at least since 2003) have the Windows and Macintosh installers on the same discs.

angelneo
May 21, 2007, 02:33 AM
Gametrailers.com has quite a few actual gameplay battle scenes. I must say, it look really wicked.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=4868

IscariotJ
May 21, 2007, 03:08 AM
it'll run on both mac and pc it's that simple.
and, it dont run on parallels, only bootcamp.

Works in Fusion..... ;)

whooleytoo
May 21, 2007, 06:10 AM
Probably the wrong place to ask, but can Starcraft still be bought anywhere online? Never played it.

Bern
May 21, 2007, 07:16 AM
Whoa! :eek: I never heard of this before but having dropped into the site I want it. I just wonder if I'll be able to play it on my brand spanking new 2.33Ghz MBP.

thejadedmonkey
May 21, 2007, 07:35 AM
Whoa! :eek: I never heard of this before but having dropped into the site I want it. I just wonder if I'll be able to play it on my brand spanking new 2.33Ghz MBP.

Easily. They were talking about not having insane requirements for it, and probably 50% of laptops out there today have in intel950GM graphics card, and your x600 (or whatever it is) is miles above an i950GM.

mattscott306
May 21, 2007, 07:54 AM
Umm- can we keep this thread focused on the game, and talk about the system requirements in other (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=305957) thread?

Agathon
May 21, 2007, 08:40 AM
OK. So I went to the Blizzard Invitational yesterday. It was fun (I bought, among other things, a stuffed murloc plush toy).

The Starcraft Demo was in a giant auditorium, and from what I saw, this will be the greatest RTS ever released. The graphics are superb and some of the new gameplay touches (like the Terran Jetpack troopers and the Protoss' Mothership's black hole) are really really cool. It's all as slick as hell. More to the point, you could see infinite possibilities with the game. It will require massive APM to be any good though.

But the most impressive thing for me was the Zerg. They look and act like a real swarm. Their movement is much more organic than the Zerg in the original SC. Hilariously, the demo had the Zerglings spell out "GG" after owning a load of units. The graphics are the best I have seen in an RTS without being overbearing.

I'd say that there's probably a lot of balancing left to do before they can release the game (the Blizz developer at the demo said that as of now nothing is final). It's a major professional sport here in Korea (the SC final yesterday was predictably an all Korean affair), and if they released it in an unbalanced form it would probably doom the game since about a third of their sales are here.

And the fact that the mac release is simultaneous with Windows makes it all the sweeter.

mattscott306
May 21, 2007, 08:53 AM
And the fact that the mac release is simultaneous with Windows makes it all the sweeter.

First off- those gameplay video's were available yesterday morning, the link is somewhere up there ^^^.

Second- You're terminology there is a bit off- Blizzard releases the game on the same disk, just something standard you can expect for Blizzard.

Agathon
May 21, 2007, 09:42 PM
First off- those gameplay video's were available yesterday morning, the link is somewhere up there ^^^.

So? I didn't watch them. I went to the live demo. Is there something wrong with that?

Second- You're terminology there is a bit off- Blizzard releases the game on the same disk, just something standard you can expect for Blizzard.

Splitting hairs is pathetic.

Winterfell
May 21, 2007, 09:47 PM
Probably the wrong place to ask, but can Starcraft still be bought anywhere online? Never played it.

Yep. Go to Amazon.com (or any site of your choice, really), and do a search for StarCraft. You'll most likely see the StarCraft: Battlechest, which includes the original StarCraft plus the Brood Wars expansion. I bought it on Amazon for $18.00. I've been playing StarCraft all weekend -- man, I used to spend hours on this back in high school. Memories.

I love this game. Can't wait for the 2nd. :D

Earendil
May 22, 2007, 03:30 PM
I know this will probably rub people the wrong way, but I'm skeptical about Blizzard making SC2 all that great.

I've always considered Blizzard to be the crack dealers of gaming, relatively bad games, but highly addicting (which is why I'm loading up a WC3 game right now). Perhaps this is due to spending a lot of time with Bungie* games, and having them right up my ally. Blizzard was always second rate in light.

That said, I love Blizzard for always being cross platform.

But WC3 *really* disappointed me when it came out. It was a glorified SC with WC units. In light of how many years it came out after the Myth serious, though sprite based, had a physics run 3D world, with moveable camera. WC3's "terrain" was kiddish, and the "chance to hit" was annoying to say the least, not mention how visually nothing lined up with what reality was.
Where as in Myth you could watch a volley of arrows fly through the air, farther in distance because of the obvious slope in the terrain, and rotate the camera around them as they fell into enemy troops in a spray pattern that caused blood to spill from where they hit.
And WC3('02) came years after Myth ('97) and Myth 2('98). Even Starcraft('98) had the ability to build on these games, or at least be as realistic. But they weren't.

So, I *hope* that SC2 is more than a glorified SC engine with better graphics. I hope they can build a game, with all the money they have, that matches and pushes what RTS are "supposed" to be. I really hope they get the online pre and post game rooms and chat worked out. I still hate SC and WC way o f handling online game rooms. Look up Myth2 for how this should be done.

Anyhoo... end rant.

Will I buy SC2? Of course. Will I play it? Yep. Will I be addicted to it and play it more than I should? You betcha. Will I think it's a quality game that I would suggest others to play? I'm not placing money on that yet...

~Earendil

*I'm aware that comparing other gaming companies to Bungie is not fair to the other companies ;-)

Antares
May 22, 2007, 04:46 PM
I've always considered Blizzard to be the crack dealers of gaming, relatively bad games, but highly addicting (which is why I'm loading up a WC3 game right now). Perhaps this is due to spending a lot of time with Bungie* games, and having them right up my ally. Blizzard was always second rate in light.

I agree, Blizzard games are like crack. I've been seriously addicted to every one that I've played. That's why I stayed far away from WoW... I also think that Blizzard produces some of the most high quality cgi cinematics over any other game company.... Starcraft 2 already looks great. It will be interesting to see how they apply the Havoc physics engine.

Now, Bungie did have good games: Marathon, Myth, Pre-Microsoft Halo, etc.. Oni was kind of a flop but still fun. Anyway, now, Bungie seem to only be about Halo. No hope for another Myth. How I miss Myth.

Earendil
May 22, 2007, 05:47 PM
I agree, Blizzard games are like crack. I've been seriously addicted to every one that I've played. That's why I stayed far away from WoW... I also think that Blizzard produces some of the most high quality cgi cinematics over any other game company.... Starcraft 2 already looks great. It will be interesting to see how they apply the Havoc physics engine.

Now, Bungie did have good games: Marathon, Myth, Pre-Microsoft Halo, etc.. Oni was kind of a flop but still fun. Anyway, now, Bungie seem to only be about Halo. No hope for another Myth. How I miss Myth.

In game Cinematic, woohoo... *yawn* :)
I've also stayed far away from WoW, because I know I'll get hooked like a crack addict, and that's not good for college grades ;)

Bungie was always more about story line, game play, and breaking rules, in that order. Even Oni, though basically scrapped and rushed to ship was hella fun to *play*, and a solid unique game, even if the graphics lacked and it was buggy. I really wish they had had money and thus time to finish that game...

Off topic, but I actually have more hope for bungie these days. The company was going under before the buy-out. Jason Jones, the Man behind Marathon, Myth1, and Halo, has already, and has been working on the next gen game from Bungie. Halo 3 is the last, and that company is far from done producing games. I look forward to the next thing from Bungie like I do from Apple. I might be inclined to compare Blizzard to Microsoft ;-)

bobber205
May 22, 2007, 06:08 PM
You'll be chased away for comparing Blizz to Microsoft. :eek: