PDA

View Full Version : What's your reaction to Starcraft 2?

Chaszmyr
May 19, 2007, 08:24 AM
Now that Blizzard has the Starcraft 2 site up, and there are a number of screenshots and some gameplay videos, what is your reaction to SC2?

Benjamin
May 19, 2007, 09:00 AM
The game looks much better then WC3. I was a little worried about the screenshots but after watching the game play vids I was surprised and pleased. What I am really looking forward is the story line and of course UMS :D Anyway I think the game is far away from a release date but it was nice what little Blizzard managed to give us, some shots, game vid (official on the 20th, although there is some game play in the artwork trailer) and a few of the new protoss units. A better announcement then most games.

I have to agree with raggedjimmi below The Lost Vikings would have been good too :)

Dagless
May 19, 2007, 09:06 AM
Starcraft and The Lost Vikings are the only Blizzard games I'm interested in. so I'm happy!

Used to play it back in school. Along with Alpha Centurai :D

CANEHDN
May 19, 2007, 09:28 AM
Looks absolutely incredible. Can't wait. This has made my day.

mattscott306
May 19, 2007, 10:13 AM
It looks great, I can't wait till they release more footage!

Chone
May 19, 2007, 01:30 PM
Your poll options are confusing, to me 2 and 3 sound like exactly the same option...

Anyhow, I'm excited yes but I'm afraid Blizzard will play it too safe and just be a glorified Starcraft expansion.

Also at times it sounds too much like a Command & Conquer game (super "can only build one at a time" units, mini zergling nukes, ghost nukes, mass teleport pylons, etc) and while those games are very fun there is a reason why they are not as popular as Blizz's RTS and why there is basically no pro scene, because, super powerful stuff makes way for abuse, abuse makes way for imbalance and imbalance makes way for boring and aggravating games, hopefully Blizzard can balance it well while keeping the pace up.

Heroes and a 4th race would be awesome but who knows, maybe Blizzard is going crazy on the single player campaign and will gives us unique heroes (that level up like WC3) and a 4th campaign featuring a 4th single player only race :D Honestly I don't know why Starcraft fans hate Heroes.

Overall I'm glad its not like WC3, simply because Starcraft is supposed to be a different game, not a Warcraft game in a different setting, this also means Warcraft IV (eta: 2017) will improve on WC3's gameplay and not copy Starcraft II.

plinden
May 19, 2007, 01:34 PM
Your poll options are confusing, to me 2 and 3 sound like exactly the same option....
They seem different to me:
Option 2 - unimpressed and no longer looking forward to it
Option 3 - unimpressed but looking forward to it

I'm going for option 4.

CANEHDN
May 19, 2007, 01:38 PM
Your poll options are confusing, to me 2 and 3 sound like exactly the same option...

Anyhow, I'm excited yes but I'm afraid Blizzard will play it too safe and just be a glorified Starcraft expansion.

Also at times it sounds too much like a Command & Conquer game (super "can only build one at a time" units, mini zergling nukes, ghost nukes, mass teleport pylons, etc) and while those games are very fun there is a reason why they are not as popular as Blizz's RTS and why there is basically no pro scene, because, super powerful stuff makes way for abuse, abuse makes way for imbalance and imbalance makes way for boring and aggravating games, hopefully Blizzard can balance it well while keeping the pace up.

Heroes and a 4th race would be awesome but who knows, maybe Blizzard is going crazy on the single player campaign and will gives us unique heroes (that level up like WC3) and a 4th campaign featuring a 4th single player only race :D Honestly I don't know why Starcraft fans hate Heroes.

Overall I'm glad its not like WC3, simply because Starcraft is supposed to be a different game, not a Warcraft game in a different setting, this also means Warcraft IV (eta: 2017) will improve on WC3's gameplay and not copy Starcraft II.

That will suck if they add heros. And the game is built off the story. I don't know why everyone is so concerned that Blizzard will screw this up. Have they ever let us down yet. Be patient people. More great stuff is coming. I can feel it. I'm Canadian, it's a sixth sense.

sikkinixx
May 19, 2007, 01:41 PM
Looks cool but personally it's far too late coming. I used to be obsessed with SC and my friends and I used to play it every day for hours. But none of us play PC games anymore, and RTS's like SC and C&C are just fun blasts from the past...

Mantronix
May 19, 2007, 01:44 PM
Best thing since sliced bread in the gaming industry. :D

CANEHDN
May 19, 2007, 01:51 PM
Best thing since sliced bread in the gaming industry. :D

They slice bread now?!?! That's awesome! I'll have the check this out.

kajitox
May 19, 2007, 03:08 PM
Looks like they managed to keep a lot of the game's unique dynamic and steer away from the Warcraft-III-No-More-Making-Mass-Quantities-Of-Units style gameplay in favor of zergling rushes, etc.

I can't wait for this to be out, but knowing Blizzard, it won't be out for a while. A long while. It's such a tease, too, since it looks so far along.

Chone
May 19, 2007, 03:25 PM
Looks like they managed to keep a lot of the game's unique dynamic and steer away from the Warcraft-III-No-More-Making-Mass-Quantities-Of-Units style gameplay in favor of zergling rushes, etc.

I can't wait for this to be out, but knowing Blizzard, it won't be out for a while. A long while. It's such a tease, too, since it looks so far along.

Actually, I'm fairly sure that game is going to be released on 2008 TOPS with a slight chance of it making the 2007 holiday season/early 2008. It has been in development since the Reign Of Chaos days, that would put the game 5 years in the making and it already looks so polished also Blizzard once stated they don't like to announce games too far from the street date since the whole SC Ghost fiasgo.

I don't think we'll have to wait much for SC2 goodness, worst case scenario we have to wait till Q4 2008 to get our hands on the game which isn't that long away... and that would be worst case scenario anyways...

Xavier
May 19, 2007, 03:28 PM
It looks good, I will buy it once it comes out, but I fail to see what they are going to do with the story.

I would have loved to see another race or something so it just doesn't feel like starcraft moved from 2d to 3d

kajitox
May 19, 2007, 03:48 PM
Actually, I'm fairly sure that game is going to be released on 2008 TOPS with a slight chance of it making the 2007 holiday season/early 2008. It has been in development since the Reign Of Chaos days, that would put the game 5 years in the making and it already looks so polished also Blizzard once stated they don't like to announce games too far from the street date since the whole SC Ghost fiasgo.

I don't think we'll have to wait much for SC2 goodness, worst case scenario we have to wait till Q4 2008 to get our hands on the game which isn't that long away... and that would be worst case scenario anyways...

I'm glad SC Ghost never happened. So glad.

Andrew D.
May 19, 2007, 04:29 PM
I'm excited! I can't wait, I really enjoyed playing StarCraft and BroodWar in the past.. maybe I'll reinstall them, haha. Cheers!

Mantronix
May 19, 2007, 04:57 PM
They slice bread now?!?! That's awesome! I'll have the check this out.
Yup they even toast it, butter it and even peanut butter and jelly it.

Winterfell
May 19, 2007, 04:57 PM
Can't wait. I'm completely excited and looking forward to it.

I even bought another copy of StarCraft today (this is what? -- the fourth time? :p) so that I can brush up on my lore and game play skills. :cool:

Shanesan
May 19, 2007, 05:05 PM
Can't wait. I'm completely excited and looking forward to it.

I even bought another copy of StarCraft today (this is what? -- the fourth time? :p) so that I can brush up on my lore and game play skills. :cool:

Good lord sir. I'll buy it, but I don't know if I'll play it much. The whole "build your army for 30 minutes then kill them in 15 more, cheer, and wipe the board" style game play aggrivates me because all your hard work vaporizes.

Sort of why I stick to Use Map Settings.

Voidness
May 19, 2007, 05:27 PM
Graphics wise, this is exactly how I thought Blizzard would make StarCraft 2: It looks ridiculously similar to its predecessor, and I'm sure a lot of people loved what they saw. Not that I think the game looks awful, but I personally think Blizzard should've deviated slightly from the original artistic direction.

Somebody made this mockup before the game was announced, and it looks a lot like the real thing: http://capricasix.com/blizz_.jpg

Anyway, I'm looking forward for this game , and hopefully, they include that long awaited Lost Vikings sequel in the StarCraft 2 box, they better!:p :D

yagran
May 19, 2007, 05:28 PM
pfft starcraft one was bad enough lol

mattscott306
May 19, 2007, 05:32 PM
Graphics wise, this is exactly how I thought Blizzard would make StarCraft 2: It looks ridiculously similar to its predecessor, and I'm sure a lot of people loved what they saw. Not that I think the game looks awful, but I personally think Blizzard should've deviated slightly from the original artistic direction.

There's a few rather large changes from what I noticed, I think it's give a bit more detail where it needs to be, yet looks like it'll keep the same basics- which IMO is perfect.

Did anyone else notice how detailed the planets were in the background when they were showing scenes from the space platform?

Voidness
May 19, 2007, 05:48 PM
There's a few rather large changes from what I noticed, I think it's give a bit more detail where it needs to be, yet looks like it'll keep the same basics- which IMO is perfect.
Yes, it's definitely more detailed and better looking than StarCraft 1, and it looks great. I'm just saying that I think they're sticking way too close to the original's artistic direction.

Did anyone else notice how detailed the planets were in the background when they were showing scenes from the space platform?
Oh yes, they look awesome. Reminds me of another game: Empire at War.

Nermal
May 19, 2007, 06:41 PM

I never understood why Americans love to mix peanut butter and jelly together! :eek: (or why you'd put jelly on bread in the first place, for that matter).

statikcat
May 19, 2007, 07:29 PM
It seems like the original starcraft with major graphics overhaul and new units and abilities to old units. This is good and bad. Good because it is still the same old starcraft (seemingly) and bad because.. it kind of seems like a mega expansion pack not a new Starcraft.

NukeLaLoosh
May 19, 2007, 08:27 PM
Yeah, but the system requirements for the PB&J version are outrageous.

Rocksaurus
May 19, 2007, 09:21 PM

To be honest I find those to be really distracting... I hope they just use the same generic small white dots as stars like they did in SC1... Gotta stay focused on the action! :)

mattscott306
May 19, 2007, 09:29 PM
To be honest I find those to be really distracting... I hope they just use the same generic small white dots as stars like they did in SC1... Gotta stay focused on the action! :)

I doubt that they'd go back to the blank (white star) background after showing off the graphics engine. If anything you would have to hope for an option that allows you to do away with the planets.

gloss
May 20, 2007, 08:32 AM
It looks good, I will buy it once it comes out, but I fail to see what they are going to do with the story.

!!!!!

Mantronix
May 20, 2007, 10:44 AM
I don't think Blizzard will make the game with high system requirements. The game has been in development for quite some time and so it should be able to run on last 2 years systems with no problems. Also if Blizzard makes it with high system requirements they will be leaving out a huge chunk of the gaming market. Not every Joe has a top end system. That is one of the reasons WoW is so damn successful. You can run it on a crappy system and it will be still playable. My Dell laptop has 1.8mhz processor, 512mb ram, 64mb video and I could play WoW with no problems. Only time I had issues when I use to zone into Ironforge.

fan.of.M
May 20, 2007, 12:05 PM
I am really looking forward to SC2 and I am pleased that they stick to "comic graphics" instead of some fancy hyper-realistic stuff that is only suitable as a tech demo. That means I will have to pay only minor bugs for a new machine once SC2 is released :-).

Winterfell
May 20, 2007, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't call the graphics "comic." They just have a style all their own. And, if you think about it, it really benefits Blizzard more to create games that can be played on a large range of hardware, because that means there are going to be more people that will be able to play it, and as a result buy it.

And the graphics looks GREAT.

harveypooka
May 22, 2007, 11:18 AM
Now that Blizzard has the Starcraft 2 site up, and there are a number of screenshots and some gameplay videos, what is your reaction to SC2?

That Blizzard make the best cinematic footage for games! The WoW intro movie is excellent too.

Echinda
May 22, 2007, 12:35 PM
I know I'm in the minority but my reaction is: meh.

I was hoping they were going to announce a new direction for the franchise. RTS games leave me gasping for air as I try to keep up with the huge demands of a clickfest. Not the experience I like from games. The Starcraft world is great, but I was hoping for something that picked up the story and dropped the RTS.

Jasonbot
May 22, 2007, 01:06 PM
The thing I'm confused about is the physics engine? Like how does one utilise physics in an RTS game? That just seems so cool, there must be something cool going on there!

Originally When I saw the screeshots I was slightly unimpressed because it looked like Starcraft 1. Reading further and looking closer at those images I have a new different, better opinion!

I am really looking forward to SC2 and I am pleased that they stick to "comic graphics" instead of some fancy hyper-realistic stuff that is only suitable as a tech demo. That means I will have to pay only minor bugs for a new machine once SC2 is released :-).

Want comic graphics, go play Team fortress 2

lasuther
May 22, 2007, 03:07 PM
I know I'm in the minority but my reaction is: meh.

I was hoping they were going to announce a new direction for the franchise. RTS games leave me gasping for air as I try to keep up with the huge demands of a clickfest. Not the experience I like from games. The Starcraft world is great, but I was hoping for something that picked up the story and dropped the RTS.

WoSC?

mattscott306
May 22, 2007, 03:11 PM
WoSC?

I'd be very happy if they released WoSC- actually, I'd probably have no life past that point... talk about addiction.

Dynamyk
May 22, 2007, 03:40 PM
I cannot WAIT for it, i'm probably gunna end up dropping outta school. Thanks Blizzard :p

atari1356
May 22, 2007, 04:23 PM
I guess I'm in the minority. I was looking forward to a Starcraft 2... but it mostly looks like more of the same to me.

It will be nice to have the updated graphics - but I guess I was looking for something a little different in gameplay, rather than Starcraft I + new graphics + some new units.

From what I've seen so far, they should have named it Starcraft 1.5 ;)

Antares
May 22, 2007, 04:28 PM

My reaction? Cheering at the top of my lungs. Literally. I left work, got into my car and let out my enthusiasm as loudly as I could. :D I've been waiting for this game for many many years.

I'm praising Blizzard for sticking with the RTS nature of the game. In fact, I think I'm going to sacrifice a Zergling in honor of this announcement. That and in gratitude for them being a loyal Mac developer.