PDA

View Full Version : Official Smash Bros. Brawl Thread [SPOILERS!]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

michaelltd
May 22, 2007, 02:16 AM
If you wish to not know anything more about Smash Bros. Brawl before its release, then DO NOT READ THIS THREAD.

You have been warned.

http://www.smashbros.com

Dagless
May 22, 2007, 05:30 AM
This is going to be the ultimate. I'm really glad they realised how friggin important, and incidentally brilliant the soundtrack was to Melee. KOJI KONDO is actually working on this... sheeez! The musician from NiGHTS? Predicting the guy from NiGHTS to be in Brawl. Actraiser/Streets of Rage musician too?! Hmmm!
Christ put the menu music on! :eek: *MELTS*

Battlefield sounds like a really good, generic level. Cycling through the times like that. Mine and Caroline's fave level in Melee is Final Destination for it's utter simplicity, they better put that back in!

All in all. Wow. This is going to be an incredible game.

Nicolasdec
May 22, 2007, 06:35 AM
Cool, cant wait untill its out.

Sky Blue
May 22, 2007, 09:22 AM
Please don't put Sonic in this game.

Vidd
May 22, 2007, 09:24 AM
I really enjoy the Super Smash Bros music and it's beyond the scope of most games but I'd appreciate some solid information regarding actual gameplay!

Oh yes, I'd prefer that too. Mario Vs Sonic at the Olympics is enough.
...I'd rather see Knuckles in it, anyway.

epochblue
May 22, 2007, 09:26 AM
Yeah, the site is unfortunately light on information....but I cannot wait for this game.

Sky Blue
May 22, 2007, 09:28 AM
...I'd rather see Knuckles in it, anyway.

Please don't put Sonic or any of his ****** friends in this game.

Dagless
May 22, 2007, 09:52 AM
As much as I love classic Sonic (on par with classic Mario IMO), he shouldn't be in this game. No no no.

I think using 36 musicians could be a hint that they're really going to town on this game. I'm automatically expecting many more characters and maps than Melee. Using musicians from other non-Nintendo games also sounds like we'll be seeing more than 3 non-Nintendo characters. Or so it feels. God I hope I'm feeling right.

I'm still hoping for an abundance of characters, similar ones with tweaks again. Have Suitless Samus, Samus, Fusion Suit Samus, that white armour Samus. Each one with different stats.

SamIchi
May 22, 2007, 11:41 AM
Why doesn't anyone want sonic? I don't care much for him either, but he's a big mascot, which mean more people will play if he's in. I just hope the balance is as good as Melee.

GFLPraxis
May 22, 2007, 11:42 AM
They haven't divulged much info just yet, but they have compiled a list of musicians helping to provide the game's soundtrack. 36 musicians!!

http://www.smashbros.com

Release date still holds at 2007.

Praxis: Note that the composer of Kingdom Hearts is listed on the list. Now maybe I'm jumping to conclusions... but... :)

I'm quite interested actually; they say there will be DAILY weekday updates, so we might get more info.

The soundtrack info is quite telling; between Yoko Shimomura from Kingdom Hearts, and Nobou Uematsu from Final Fantasy making a track...

Then there are several composers from Capcom/Clover, and Sega (NiGHTS, specifically).

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts character appear; or a Capcom character (Megaman?) or Sega (Sonic? Nights?).

Why doesn't anyone want sonic? I don't care much for him either, but he's a big mascot, which mean more people will play if he's in. I just hope the balance is as good as Melee.

EVERYONE wants Sonic. In Japan they polled to see what third party character people most wanted, Sonic topped the list.
I'd bet money that Sonic's in it. I'm not 100% sure, but there's enough hints floating around to imply it. Composers from Sega plus the poll results and the fact that Mario and Sonic are co-starring in games?

Sonic would be freaking awesome in Smash Bros. He'd be like Fox on steroids; ridiculously fast. Knuckles would also be good for a brawler.

SamIchi
May 22, 2007, 11:45 AM
I'm quite interested actually; they say there will be DAILY weekday updates, so we might get more info.

The soundtrack info is quite telling; between Yoko Shimomura from Kingdom Hearts, and Nobou Uematsu from Final Fantasy making a track...

Then there are several composers from Capcom/Clover, and Sega (NiGHTS, specifically).

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts character appear; or a Capcom character (Megaman?) or Sega (Sonic? Nights?).

This game will be so huge if it gets that many classic game characters. Fanboys everywhere will pick up the Wii. I just hope they pull it off nicely.

GFLPraxis
May 22, 2007, 11:47 AM
I'm still hoping for an abundance of characters, similar ones with tweaks again. Have Suitless Samus, Samus, Fusion Suit Samus, that white armour Samus. Each one with different stats.

They're only useful for filler. If there are going to be 30+ unique characters, I don't want the clones.

You can have Fusion suit, white armor, Chozo armor, and phazon armor be different colors. In fact, I would MUCH rather different looks be available instead of different colors (for example, in Melee, where Kirby is available in different colors, Pikachu is available wearing various accessories). I'd love to see different outfits for different characters.

seenew
May 22, 2007, 04:36 PM
Light Suit Samus with the Annihilator Beam...

bobber205
Jun 6, 2007, 11:32 AM
They're only useful for filler. If there are going to be 30+ unique characters, I don't want the clones.

You can have Fusion suit, white armor, Chozo armor, and phazon armor be different colors. In fact, I would MUCH rather different looks be available instead of different colors (for example, in Melee, where Kirby is available in different colors, Pikachu is available wearing various accessories). I'd love to see different outfits for different characters.

I think if that was true, it would be like a transformation you could do in mid battle, like Samus and Shek. (sp?)

GFLPraxis
Jun 6, 2007, 03:26 PM
I think if that was true, it would be like a transformation you could do in mid battle, like Samus and Shek. (sp?)

Nah; the suits would have no different combat value, just be different looks.

After all; the standard suit is red, the Fusion suit is blue, the white armor is obviously white, and the phazon armor is black. So instead of having red, blue, white, and black samuses, have these four different armors available for the colors instead.

SamIchi
Jun 6, 2007, 06:33 PM
You know what I'm really looking forward to? Cool easter Eggs, I hope they fill this game up with butt loads of it. There were cool ones in Melee. The updates aren't all that exciting. I don't want to know "how to play".

Dagless
Jun 6, 2007, 07:16 PM
Yea some posts seem to be filler. But of course when you consider how many weekdays there are left until a potential launch - you'd end up giving everything away :p

Groudon :D Which probably means Kyogre will be there. Rayquaza would make my life :eek:

Dagless
Jun 8, 2007, 07:15 AM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/gamemode/various/images/various01/various01_070608a.jpg

We are literally spoilt for choice :D Cube, CC, Nunchuck, Sideways Remote. Smash Bros Brawl is compatible with them all. Which is cool as.

Vidd
Jun 8, 2007, 07:17 AM
This is brilliant. I am so glad you can use the Classic controller.
My Wavebird's analogue stick is worn. :(

I wonder how they'll compensate for the lack of an analogue stick on the remote-only control scheme.
Maybe shake to Smash?

EDIT:
Also, did anyone think that the Melee stages were smaller than the original? Things like the Starfox ship felt much smaller compared to playing the classic stages.

mkaake
Jun 8, 2007, 11:00 AM
:o Nah; the suits would have no different combat value, just be different looks.

After all; the standard suit is red, the Fusion suit is blue, the white armor is obviously white, and the phazon armor is black. So instead of having red, blue, white, and black samuses, have these four different armors available for the colors instead.

:o

While I was reading through this list, for whatever reason, the first thing that popped into my head was:

birthday-suit samus

bobber205
Jun 8, 2007, 01:34 PM
Yes. Birthday suit! That's hawt! :D

And I'm surprised the Wiimote is compatible. I'll be using the Gamecube controller. ;)

applekid
Jun 8, 2007, 02:01 PM
I definitely want to see what the control layout/scheme will be for each kind of controller. The Remote on the side probably needs gestures.

pcypert
Jun 8, 2007, 02:50 PM
Can someone explain these games to me? I haven't played the Cube version yet. The screen shots don't reveal much to me. Maybe I should search YouTube videos or something...

With my experience so far if I pick this one up I'll NOT be using the Wiimote and anything else unless they've made a way for the sensors to actually read what I'm doing.

Paul

SamIchi
Jun 8, 2007, 03:03 PM
This is brilliant. I am so glad you can use the Classic controller.
My Wavebird's analogue stick is worn. :(

I wonder how they'll compensate for the lack of an analogue stick on the remote-only control scheme.
Maybe shake to Smash?

EDIT:
Also, did anyone think that the Melee stages were smaller than the original? Things like the Starfox ship felt much smaller compared to playing the classic stages.

I've got 3 wavebirds, I knew that it was goin to use the GC controller, so it was a good investment. I need to get one more wavebird when this comes out for somplete wireless-ness!

I don't think the stages got smaller, the fox stage might have gotten smaller (I don't remember), but considering the hyrule stage and Final, Melee stages are much bigger.

Can someone explain these games to me? I haven't played the Cube version yet. The screen shots don't reveal much to me. Maybe I should search YouTube videos or something...

With my experience so far if I pick this one up I'll NOT be using the Wiimote and anything else unless they've made a way for the sensors to actually read what I'm doing.

Paul

It's 2-d fighting game 2-4 players at a time. Damage is measured by "percentage", higher the pecentage, the farther you fly when you get hit. The more damage you rack up it's easier for your opponent to kill you and vice versa. The way you die is by getting knocked out of the stage. There are many tactics with staying alive by returning to the fighting stage.

Just check out some videos on youtube and you'll get the picture.

Dagless
Jun 8, 2007, 07:27 PM
^ Bang on.

It's a really mad super fast game, yet it has really deep gameplay elements that aren't obvious at first. The players are extremely varied from the mighty fast and nimble Pichu to the slow but behemoth Ganondorf or Giga Bowser. It's really dynamic, full of unlockables and a joy to play in both single and multiplayer - which is quite rare these days.

I'm hoping they don't drag Smash Bros on too long. It's an awesome series but fighter series have a habit of growing stale.

Vidd
Jun 8, 2007, 07:32 PM
I've got 3 wavebirds, I knew that it was goin to use the GC controller, so it was a good investment. I need to get one more wavebird when this comes out for somplete wireless-ness!

I don't think the stages got smaller, the fox stage might have gotten smaller (I don't remember), but considering the hyrule stage and Final, Melee stages are much bigger.

It's possibly just nostalgia but the classic stages that are included feel bigger.
Final Destination is one exception but it just has one level.

Rice Cooka
Jun 13, 2007, 10:49 AM
After Super Smash Brothers 64 and Melee, designer Masahiro Sakurai has reached miyamotian levels for me. I have blind faith in the man and am confident that Brawl will be the best game to come out for any system since, well, Smash Brothers Melee.

Dagless
Jun 13, 2007, 11:07 AM
One thing that impressed me about the Dojo site - in the UK site they call the season "Autumn", whilst the US site calls it "Fall". Just thought that was a nice touch...

bobber205
Jun 13, 2007, 02:42 PM
Am I the only whose reason to buy the Wii was 90% Twilight Princess and Brawl?

Please tell me I'm not the only one or I'll feel really sad. :(

:p

sb58
Jun 13, 2007, 04:36 PM

me too :D
and WiiSports actually XD

GFLPraxis
Jun 13, 2007, 10:43 PM

Actually, Twilight Princess, Brawl, Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3 would be enough for me to be satisfied. :)

bobber205
Jun 13, 2007, 11:22 PM
Whew. That's like 2. ;)

Vidd
Jun 14, 2007, 06:44 AM
Today's update was quite pleasing!
The Yoshi's Island boxes look great.

Rice Cooka
Jun 14, 2007, 10:22 AM
All it took was the promise of Smash Brothers for me to pony up $250

Dagless
Jun 15, 2007, 08:19 AM
Samus confirmed!

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/samus/samus_070615b-l.jpg

But it was agiven.

Oh, and hunt down Smash Bros Live soundtrack. It frankly. Is awesome.

SamIchi
Jun 15, 2007, 12:06 PM
Samus confirmed!

<snip>

But it was agiven.

We got a few more confirmed characters to go through, then hopefully we can get some new info.

I have that soundtrack, it's awesome. I forgot where I got it from though. I think it came with a Nintendo Power or sumthin.

Dagless
Jun 15, 2007, 12:28 PM
I hope we see Mewtwo and a good 5 or more new Pokemon. Or just 1 from each type. Playable Mew would be too good.

Agilus
Jun 15, 2007, 01:13 PM
I have that soundtrack, it's awesome. I forgot where I got it from though. I think it came with a Nintendo Power or sumthin.

I have it, too, and it is indeed awesome. I got mine from a Nintendo Power subscription. It's the best subscription gift they've given since Dragon Warrior for the NES back in the day.

twistedlegato
Jun 15, 2007, 04:21 PM
Nice, the new boxes are awsome!

Vidd
Jun 15, 2007, 07:14 PM
We got a few more confirmed characters to go through, then hopefully we can get some new info.

Do you consider things such as explaining game mechanics new info? We're going to be subjected to several days of such posts along with any new info, making it a very long wait!

SamIchi
Jun 15, 2007, 07:55 PM
Do you consider things such as explaining game mechanics new info? We're going to be subjected to several days of such posts along with any new info, making it a very long wait!

Yea, that's what I meant. They have a few more already announced characters and they announce those along side the play mechanics and what not, so I'm assuming by the last confirmed character, we'll get some new info. That was akwardly explained, but I think you know what I mean.

Dagless
Jul 4, 2007, 04:34 AM
So Giga Bowser is playable! Sorta!

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/bowser.html#3rd

furcalchick
Jul 4, 2007, 03:57 PM
Samus confirmed!

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/samus/samus_070615b-l.jpg

But it was agiven.

where would i obtain this?

but i saw the new twilight princess zelda. i don't expect her to go sheik since i'm assuming this is a different zelda, but a sword would be nice.

Dagless
Jul 4, 2007, 04:03 PM
They gave the album away in magazines, but my bro found it in Gamestation in the bargain bin.

I wouldn't count Shiek out just yet. The "Zelda" song on the Brawl site is a medley of Ocarina of Time tracks. Not Twilight Princess. Shiek was a very popular fighter. I'd imagine they'd either seperate Shiek and Zelda or leave it with the transformation.

bobber205
Jul 4, 2007, 04:25 PM
I rarely lose as Shriek. So I sure hope she's not taken out.

Vidd
Jul 4, 2007, 07:31 PM
So Giga Bowser is playable! Sorta!

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/bowser.html#3rd

The Bowser update was the one I was waiting for. I wanted to see and was pleased with how they designed him.
The Giga Bowser addition makes a lot of sense. :)

Dagless
Jul 5, 2007, 08:41 AM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/howto/basic/images/basic04/basic04_070705g.jpg

So controller details are going up.

Whats interesting is that by using 4 Wii controllers and 4 GC controllers you could have 8 players. By using 4 Classic Controllers with the 4 Wii remotes you could potentially have 12 players on one screen :p
But that would be a little too messy. Short of some kind of tag team...

Ja Di ksw
Jul 5, 2007, 11:42 AM
Yeah, putting the classic controllers in there would get bad, but they could definitely do 4 remotes and 4 gamecube controllers. 8 fighters! That would be awesome :)

furcalchick
Jul 5, 2007, 11:06 PM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/howto/basic/images/basic04/basic04_070705g.jpg

So controller details are going up.

Whats interesting is that by using 4 Wii controllers and 4 GC controllers you could have 8 players. By using 4 Classic Controllers with the 4 Wii remotes you could potentially have 12 players on one screen :p
But that would be a little too messy. Short of some kind of tag team...

i'll stick with the gamecube controller for this one.

Ja Di ksw
Jul 5, 2007, 11:14 PM
So, if you can use the remote both on it's side and like a, well, remote, does this mean none of it is controlled by motion?

Dagless
Jul 6, 2007, 06:42 AM
It's hard to tell at the moment. They might have shortcuts like, shunting the controller left/right will result in the character rolling out of the way.

Update today- Bridge of Eldin as a level! It looks quite good too. But I'm a fan of flat levels :D

Dagless
Jul 10, 2007, 08:40 AM
Update for today-

Will Wright as Assist Trophy.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/items/assist/images/assist03/assist03_070710b-l.jpg

Yup. It's WTF.

bobber205
Jul 10, 2007, 09:10 AM
Has a release date been confirmed yet? Did I miss that announcement?

Dagless
Jul 10, 2007, 09:15 AM
I thought I heard it was coming out in August in the US.

And a really wild rumour said EU will get the new Mario Kart in 2007, Smash Bros in 2008. Whereas US would get Smash in 2007 and MK in 2008. But that's a bit of a LOL I think.

bobber205
Jul 10, 2007, 09:39 AM
MK better not be a 2008 title. :( That would suck. Though I hope Smash Bros comes out in August. If so, screw MK. I'll be busy with Bros so long I won't even care. :p Where did you hear the august bit?

Dagless
Jul 10, 2007, 10:25 AM
It was either on Neogaf or Nintendoplayers.

I doubt it. MK 2008 and Smash Bros 2007, all regions.

Sky Blue
Jul 10, 2007, 10:41 AM
I thought I heard it was coming out in August in the US.

Umm, August is next month.

bobber205
Jul 10, 2007, 10:53 AM
Umm, August is next month.

Yeah.

:eek:

That's why I'm frothing at the mouth to find that confirmed. :D

Sky Blue
Jul 10, 2007, 10:54 AM
Yeah.

That's why I'm frothing at the mouth to find that confirmed. :D

Don't bother looking. It's utter utter ********. Nintendo have already released dates for August. It won't be out sooner than October.

Sky Blue
Jul 10, 2007, 10:55 AM
Update for today-

Will Wright as Assist Trophy.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/items/assist/images/assist03/assist03_070710b-l.jpg

Yup. It's WTF.

Dude, that's Dr. Wright! (and he's awesome too!)

Antares
Jul 10, 2007, 11:45 AM
Dude, that's Dr. Wright! (and he's awesome too!)

I wonder if they'll add his transformation into Mr. Wrong. That would be cool.

Dagless
Jul 10, 2007, 12:15 PM
I wonder if they'll add his transformation into Mr. Wrong. That would be cool.

What? He doesn't have a transformation? He's an assist trophy.

bobber205
Jul 10, 2007, 12:46 PM
What? He doesn't have a transformation? He's an assist trophy.

I think that was a pun. ;)

Phat_Pat
Jul 12, 2007, 04:54 PM
december 3rd for north america. new video too:)

Dagless
Jul 12, 2007, 05:23 PM
I should be in the 'states by then too.

Bugger! I'll lose all my Euro VC games :o at least they're like a squillion times cheaper over there.

twistedlegato
Jul 12, 2007, 09:12 PM
I should be in the 'states by then too.

Bugger! I'll lose all my Euro VC games :o at least they're like a squillion times cheaper over there.

Wait Jimmi... If you are bringing your Wii from Europe how are you going to play US games?
:(

You can always import but it is so much more convenient to just walk into a store:(

Dagless
Jul 12, 2007, 09:28 PM
Just buy a US one I suppose! Though with the way you guys are buying them I'll be lucky to get one :p

Tom B.
Jul 13, 2007, 08:18 AM
Todays Animal Crossing level looks cool, I wonder if there will be a Animal Crossing playable character? I'm looking forward to seeing something Pikmin-related in the game, too, and confirmation of Captain Falcon, as he's my favourite Melee character.

Dagless
Jul 13, 2007, 08:29 AM
The more they show stuff like this, the more I'm convinced they're going to go all out with an insane number of characters and arenas. KK Slider as a playable character or assist trophy - just get him in there :D

They need Andross/Star Wolf, Ridley, King DeDeDe need to be in there as bosses. Oh yes.

Antares
Jul 13, 2007, 11:20 AM
Would you guys like to see fighting game characters make a crossover into Smash Bros. or stick with non fighting game characters? Link was in a Soul Calibur game, why not have a Soul Calibur character come to Smash? Or what about Raiden, Scorpion or SubZero, from Mortal Kombat, making a cameo?...or a Street Fighter character? I'm thinking that fighting game characters would dilute the experience of the Smash.

But what about characters like: Simon Belmont from Castlevania, Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, a Contra character, Ogre Battle character, Digimon character, DragonQuest character, etc.? There's really endless possibilities, now, given how Snake is in there. How do you feel about non-Nintendo characters being in Smash? Would you rather the focus be on Nintendo franchise characters or do you like the addition of Non-Nintendo characters?

I think Paper Mario versions of Mario characters would be kind of cool...but they wouldn't really fit into 3D, would they?

Thoughts?

SamIchi
Jul 13, 2007, 11:36 AM
I think they should just have iconic videogame figure, not saying fighting game characters aren't iconic, but I don't think it would fit well to see someone like Sub-Zero (please no MK characters, that would be a disgrace). I see Smash as a mash up of non-fighting game characters.

I don't mind non-Nintendo characters, but I hope they get some good ones, Legendary ones. If we have Snake, I want to see Sonic, Megaman, Ryu (ninja gaiden). Not just other chracters to fill in space.

If you play a match here on Saturday at 8PM...

Oh, I’m too excited to even say it!
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/stages/images/stage06/stage06_070713e.jpg

Can you say awesome! So now we know they'll make WiiConnect into use. These stages are looking quite fun.

bobber205
Jul 13, 2007, 11:41 AM
Be warned. I am about to win the internets.

GENO

He needs to be in this game. Please put him in! :eek:

Sky Blue
Jul 13, 2007, 12:16 PM
Animal Crossing level looks good, the only thing that can ruin this game is Sonic the mother****ing Hedgehog.

Vidd
Jul 13, 2007, 01:26 PM
Animal Crossing level looks good, the only thing that can ruin this game is Sonic the mother****ing Hedgehog.

I really don't want Sonic in this game. It would ruin the feel of it, imo.
A lot of people do want him in it, though.

Antares
Jul 13, 2007, 02:00 PM

What's wrong with Sonic? Would you rather have Shadow the Hedgehog in the game? I'm thinking there may be a/some Namco characters in there as well.

Vidd
Jul 13, 2007, 02:03 PM
What's wrong with Sonic? Would you rather have Shadow the Hedgehog in the game? I'm thinking there may be a/some Namco characters in there as well.

Sonic would be the most popular so if they don't include him, they're hardly going to include Knuckles. How would Knuckles not ruin the feel of it?

Where did you get the impression that I meant only Sonic from?

bobber205
Jul 13, 2007, 02:18 PM
This is where I got it from.

applekid
Jul 13, 2007, 03:27 PM
Be warned. I am about to win the internets.

GENO

He needs to be in this game. Please put him in! :eek:

Most brilliant words I have ever heard.

Vidd
Jul 13, 2007, 06:15 PM
This is where I got it from.

I was replying to a post about Sonic; I didn't imply there that I wanted another character in his stead. They're just as bad! :P
EDIT: My question was misphrased there, I was asking why you thought the dislike of Sonic wouldn't extend to the other characters. I don't see how not wanting Sonic can equate directly to wanting Shadow.

Antares
Jul 13, 2007, 08:54 PM
I was replying to a post about Sonic; I didn't imply there that I wanted another character in his stead. They're just as bad! :P
EDIT: My question was misphrased there, I was asking why you thought the dislike of Sonic wouldn't extend to the other characters. I don't see how not wanting Sonic can equate directly to wanting Shadow.

Shadow would translate better to a fighter because he has a weapon (for range fighting) on top of his hedgehog abilities (for melee fighting). You just don't like any of the sonic characters, admit it. :D

Dagless
Jul 14, 2007, 05:33 AM
God no. I can't stand the BS extras in Sonic games now. Sonic, Tails, Robotnic. No filler please.

Tom B.
Jul 17, 2007, 08:08 AM
I think Paper Mario versions of Mario characters would be kind of cool...but they wouldn't really fit into 3D, would they?

Mr. Game & Watch worked well in Melee, and he was only 2D, so there's no reason to not have a 2D Paper Mario.

I still really want to see some Pikmin stuff in the game! What about a character, unlike all others... a swarm of a few hundred tiny Pikmin! That would be so cool. :cool:

Dagless
Jul 17, 2007, 08:38 AM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/items/mball/images/mball03/mball03_070717d-l.jpg
Deoxys is in Pokeballs now :D

michaelltd
Jul 23, 2007, 02:40 AM
You know what might be interesting is a Mario Galaxy stage, complete with some of the physics.

Imagine the crazy combos you could unleash by knocking an opponent sky high only to have them get caught by the gravity of a planet that sends them into an orbit around it and possibly back to you for more damage.

SamIchi
Jul 23, 2007, 07:03 AM
Seems like they're actually going to explain some kind of story this time unlike it's predecessors. There also seems to be an actual antagonist, and not some random giant hands. Or it might be the hands again, but we'll know why this time.

twistedlegato
Jul 23, 2007, 09:58 AM
The new stage is sooo pretty. But why does it have to be a scolling stage:(

Dagless
Jul 23, 2007, 10:01 AM
I can't stand scrolling stages and I don't think that looks as good as DK's similar looking level on Melee.

Tom B.
Jul 23, 2007, 10:19 AM
I think Rumble Falls will be pretty good even though i hate that Ice Climbers level. According to the description, this new one only moves up slowly, while the ice climbers level moves up and down quite fast.

michaelltd, that is a really cool idea. I would love to see a Mario Galaxy level.

SamIchi
Jul 30, 2007, 02:00 AM
I think Rumble Falls will be pretty good even though i hate that Ice Climbers level. According to the description, this new one only moves up slowly, while the ice climbers level moves up and down quite fast.

michaelltd, that is a really cool idea. I would love to see a Mario Galaxy level.

Agreed scrolling stages aren't that great, this one has a ladder... what's the point when you can double jump anywhere.

They've introduced a new gameplay element. Jumping on eachother's head. That's pretty big IMO. I hope it doesn't change the game mechanics too much.

Dagless
Jul 30, 2007, 08:14 AM
Todays= DK's final smash.

Must be DK appreciation fortnight.

SamIchi
Jul 30, 2007, 01:04 PM
Todays= DK's final smash.

Must be DK appreciation fortnight.

I hope DK and Bowser get an overhaul. They're under represented in their smash form. Too slow, Bowser unerstandable, but DK is a eff'n gorilla/monkey, whatever simian, he should be super agile.

bobber205
Jul 30, 2007, 01:58 PM
I think DK should be a tad faster to use also. Bowser should be the "slowest" by far. I can't wait to see what Peach's Final smash is! :eek:

Antares
Jul 30, 2007, 02:43 PM
Marth, baby....yeah! :D

Dagless
Aug 1, 2007, 07:14 AM
I got very happy.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/ike.html

Basically Marth with a new model :)

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/ike/ike.jpg

bobber205
Aug 1, 2007, 11:14 AM
OMFG. That is so awesome! :D

Now if they put Lyn in this game.... :eek:

SamIchi
Aug 1, 2007, 04:16 PM
So how many main characters are from Fire Emblem? I've never played that game. I only know Roy and Marth from Melee. Where does Ike come into the picture? It will be interesting to see how this character will play. So this is the first new, new character. I can't wait to see some more. :D

michaelltd
Aug 1, 2007, 04:25 PM
So how many main characters are from Fire Emblem? I've never played that game. I only know Roy and Marth from Melee. Where does Ike come into the picture? It will be interesting to see how this character will play. So this is the first new, new character. I can't wait to see some more. :D

I think Ike is the main character from the GameCube Fire Emblem game.

That one is the only Fire Emblem game I've played, but it would be my guess that each one has a different set of characters in different settings, like Final Fantasy and Tales games.

bobber205
Aug 1, 2007, 04:29 PM
Ike IS from the gamecube game. I have 3 FE games. They're sort of like FF. similar universe but different each time and different characters.

Dagless
Aug 3, 2007, 05:44 AM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/gamemode/modea/modea02.html

Wow.

Looks like we're in for a thick chunk of single player too, I just hope it has co-op. Could finally put Streets of Rage 2 down as king of the co-op fighter.

applekid
Aug 3, 2007, 07:25 AM
I hope it's more than just the simple brawls in the last two Smash Bros. It looks that's all it is, except now a story is told with movies and your enemies aren't just the cast of characters in Smash Bros.

Dagless
Aug 3, 2007, 07:54 AM
a complete side-scrolling action game sounds more than just Classic Mode with cutscenes. They probably took the praise of the Mushroom Kingdom Adventure Mode level and made it into a game mode.

Antares
Aug 3, 2007, 09:40 AM
I'm just worried that this game is going to be overhyped and ends up being a major letdown for all of us.

Dagless
Aug 3, 2007, 10:56 AM
I'd understand that if the previous 2 games weren't consistently godlike.

bobber205
Aug 3, 2007, 12:22 PM
I've even considered buying a SECOND wii, one for my room where I could play it all I wanted, even late at night. God forbid, SC2 comes out in the next year or so.

I won't have time for ANYTHING else. :eek:

GFLPraxis
Aug 3, 2007, 12:23 PM

There's...there's a plot!

SamIchi
Aug 4, 2007, 02:12 PM
This adventure mode looks a lot more fleshed out than the last one. Looks really fun, maybe they'll make it multiplayer and just make it a cool beat'em up style side scroller. The new video looks awesome, although no gameplay.

pcypert
Aug 4, 2007, 09:37 PM
Wonder how long it'll be though? Oh well, I'm picking it up. It'll be my first of this series though...since some of the other games like Mario Party seem to be getting reviews that they are good games but plenty like the previous figured I'd just hold off on the Cube one and get this one when it comes out. Now I just need to figure out if the Japanese or US version hits the shelves first so I know when I'm getting this :)

Paul

bobber205
Aug 4, 2007, 10:13 PM
Wonder how long it'll be though? Oh well, I'm picking it up. It'll be my first of this series though...since some of the other games like Mario Party seem to be getting reviews that they are good games but plenty like the previous figured I'd just hold off on the Cube one and get this one when it comes out. Now I just need to figure out if the Japanese or US version hits the shelves first so I know when I'm getting this :)

Paul

Get the cube version now. You can pick up a used copy for like 10 bucks.

The best 10 dollars you'll ever ever spend. :D

Dagless
Aug 5, 2007, 04:25 AM
Oh definitely. I bought Melee the day it was released here, I read the few US reviews and set off for town at stupid o' clock (really, it must have been about 6am). Had it stolen/lost at college 4 years later. Bought it again without batting an eyelid. Bought it for my girlfriend. Subsequently lost my copy again! Another purchase.

I've probably spent a good Ł100 on Melee :D it's hard more play time than probably every other video game I've got combined. $10? Worth it.

pcypert
Aug 5, 2007, 08:20 AM
Maybe now that the Wii version is imminent the price has dropped. Everywhere in my town in the US it was 25-35 for a copy. I'll wait though. The cube controller I bought has a really short cable that's annoying and I'll just end up playing the Wii version once that's out...no biggie. Still have 3 untouched Wii games and a grip of Cube games that aren't being updated to play through.

I really do hope the single player is good as I prefer that...particularly since I'll be bringing myself up to speed on these games through that mode...

Paul

bobber205
Aug 5, 2007, 12:22 PM
Maybe now that the Wii version is imminent the price has dropped. Everywhere in my town in the US it was 25-35 for a copy. I'll wait though. The cube controller I bought has a really short cable that's annoying and I'll just end up playing the Wii version once that's out...no biggie. Still have 3 untouched Wii games and a grip of Cube games that aren't being updated to play through.

I really do hope the single player is good as I prefer that...particularly since I'll be bringing myself up to speed on these games through that mode...

Paul

Seriously get it now! @jimmi, whoa you sure bought Melee alot. I've only had to buy it once. ;) Though I would buy it every six months if that was necessary.

It's worth buying a cube for that game alone. In fact, SSBM was the entire reason my brother and I bought a cube and it was the primary reason I bought a Wii. Sad huh?

SamIchi
Aug 5, 2007, 01:13 PM

Paul

You might want to invest in a Wavebird, since it will have the same control scheme, and it you can also use it on the Wii. And plus it's probably the preferred controller of the Smash people, I know it will be for me, it's perfect for Smash. I've got 3, I plan on buying one more, or maybe a classic controller... I'll decide when the time comes.

GFLPraxis
Aug 5, 2007, 01:23 PM

Paul

Mario Party is...a special case. Mario Party first came out on the N64; they released THREE VERSIONS for N64 and FOUR more versions for GameCube.

Nintendo's serious franchises don't get updates that often. Zelda gets two games per platform, Mario Kart gets one game per platform, Mario (main franchise, not spinoffs) gets one game per platform, and Smash Bros only gets one game per platform (N64, GameCube, now Wii).

Antares
Aug 5, 2007, 08:31 PM
Zelda gets two games per platform

What two did the Cube get? Are you counting Four Swords?

SamIchi
Aug 5, 2007, 08:46 PM

SNES didn't get 2 either. But who cares how many each series has, it's been 1-3 for main franchises.

twistedlegato
Aug 5, 2007, 08:48 PM

No he is not

Windwaker
Twilight Princess

TP was originally a Gamecube game you know, and is even out on it too.

GFLPraxis
Aug 6, 2007, 01:17 AM

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Zelda's the most inconsistent though. GBA got one real game and a port of the SNES one.

GameCube got two real Zelda games and a weird GBA hybrid. N64 got two real Zelda games. NES got two real Zelda games. SNES only got one.

Regardless, though, the main Mario franchise has gotten only one game per console since the SNES (unless you count Yoshi's Island, but despite the "Super Mario World 2" subtitle it has become its own franchise). Super Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, now Galaxy.

Antares
Aug 6, 2007, 10:08 AM
Duh, how could I forget about Twilight Princess? Since I bought it for my Wii, that's what I associate it with. However, if it's virtually the same game, can you really consider Twilight Princess (Gamecube) and Twilight Princess (Wii) as unique games released for each system? If so, can't you then consider Ocarina of Time and Master Quest as unique games released for the Cube?....meaning 5 Zelda games were released for the Gamecube?

We can't look at trends and say how many Metroid, Mario or Zelda game will be released on a system. Nintendo releases them when they are ready. Remember, the Cube was originally supposed to get a second Mario game...

Dagless
Aug 13, 2007, 11:09 AM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/pokemon_trainer/pokemon_trainer.jpg

OMG. This game... :D

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/pokemon_trainer/pokemon_trainer_070813d-l.jpg
You control 3 Pokemon (Charizard, Squirtle and that plant one) which you swop in and out (it's NOT Ice Climbers). Genius move.

barr08
Aug 13, 2007, 12:23 PM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/pokemon_trainer/pokemon_trainer.jpg

OMG. This game... :D

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/pokemon_trainer/pokemon_trainer_070813d-l.jpg
You control 3 Pokemon (Charizard, Squirtle and that plant one) which you swop in and out (it's NOT Ice Climbers). Genius move.

Yeah this seems like it is going to be a fun new character. I like how they are starting to think more outside the box with the characters. They started to do this in melee, but kinda haulted it at zelda and the ice climbers. It looks like they are planning to make more of these unique characters, which is a very good thing, because the uniqueness is what sets smash bros. apart from other fighting games.

I wish they used the fully evolved forms of the pokemon though. Charizard is the only one, but they could have used blastoise and venusaur instead of squirtle and ivysaur. Even if they just used the first or second evolved form, I would have liked the unity.

Vidd
Aug 13, 2007, 12:37 PM
Even if they just used the first or second evolved form, I would have liked the unity.

They use one of each stage which works better, imo.
Absolutely awesome update.

Dagless
Aug 13, 2007, 12:45 PM
I'm wondering if Charizard is in the Pokeball items now. Be cool if they just took the 3 R/B starters from the items and replaced them with D/P starters.

SamIchi
Aug 13, 2007, 02:13 PM
Looks like it will be an interesting character. This game looks like it will be much more chaotic than the last one. I hope the balance is still on point.

Antares
Aug 13, 2007, 05:26 PM
I'm really anxious to see what other non-Nintendo characters are going to be in this game.

Here's a question: Who of you would rather Smash only have Nintendo characters and no non-Nintendo mascots/characters? I'm already thinking Jimmi would want this but would anybody else? I personally like the breadth of characters....

GFLPraxis
Aug 13, 2007, 06:27 PM
Nintendo's got a number of musicians from SEGA, Capcom, and Square Enix.

Granted, Sega might be because of F-Zero, but Sega only did one F-Zero game so they wouldn't necessarily have to be on board just for that. And the fact that the Sega devs I talked to at E3 refused to comment on Sonic and Smash Bros means Sega has at least talked about it.

I'd like to see Sonic and MegaMan. Maybe someone from Square (Sora from Kingdom Hearts, Cloud from FF7, or a generic class like Black Mage or Fighter...there was a Kingdom Hearts game for GBA you know, so Sora could appear. Probably not Cloud though).

But Sonic and MegaMan are my most wanted two. I'd prefer MegaMan X over regular MegaMan, and while I'd prefer to play as Zero (laser sword + buster cannon FTW), MegaMan X would be much more recognizable.

Then again, the MegaMan and MegaMan X series both went to Playstation later in their lives while MegaMan Zero remains Nintendo-exclusive...

GFLPraxis
Aug 13, 2007, 06:33 PM
...what do you think the Pokemon Trainer's Final Smash will be? :eek:

Dagless
Aug 13, 2007, 06:49 PM
I'm all for Nintendo branching out. Granted they have a huge history with many characters, but Snake? That's awesome. And I think Iwata/whoever was lying when he said there would be another 2 more non-Nintendo characters.

I'm predicting, in order of likeliness-
Megaman
Dracula from Castlevania
Someone from Streets of Rage
NiGHTS chap
At least one reference to Bubble Ghost
Bomberman
Someone from Street Fighter
-
-
-
Iwata
Jesus
A giant crab
Sonic

From Nintendo series I'm predicting- Advance Wars people. At least 3 Fire Emblem people (going off how popular it is over here now). An arena based on Tetris. Dry Bones or Koopa. King DeDeDe. Soma Cruz. Toad. Tingle as a trophy. Golden Sun references.

Pokemon trainers final smash? It has to be a legendary :D I'll eat a hat lookalike cake if it's otherwise!

bobber205
Aug 13, 2007, 07:19 PM
I love all these new characters.

I am just worried that Shiek won't make it in. Surely they wouldn't take a form away would they?

And Lyn FTW.

http://www.derekmiller.us/fireemblem/images/part0.gif

GFLPraxis
Aug 13, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'm all for Nintendo branching out. Granted they have a huge history with many characters, but Snake? That's awesome. And I think Iwata/whoever was lying when he said there would be another 2 more non-Nintendo characters.

I'm predicting, in order of likeliness-
Megaman
Dracula from Castlevania
Someone from Streets of Rage
NiGHTS chap
At least one reference to Bubble Ghost
Bomberman
Someone from Street Fighter
-
-
-
Iwata
Jesus
A giant crab
Sonic

From Nintendo series I'm predicting- Advance Wars people. At least 3 Fire Emblem people (going off how popular it is over here now). An arena based on Tetris. Dry Bones or Koopa. King DeDeDe. Soma Cruz. Toad. Tingle as a trophy. Golden Sun references.

Pokemon trainers final smash? It has to be a legendary :D I'll eat a hat lookalike cake if it's otherwise!

I want Bill Gates as a character so I can smash him :P

But dude, don't let your personal preferences interfere, unless you're going to call that a wish list. Sonic is NOT the least likely to appear; in fact, since Nintendo has openly acknowledge that Sonic is the most requested Smash Bros character and individuals at Sega have been instructed not to talk about Smash Bros, and on top of that Sega is making Sonic/Mario crossover games, AND Nintendo is having Sega musicians work on Smash Bros, Sonic is probably at the top of the "most likely" list, despite the fact that you don't want him on it.

The Pokemon Trainer's Final Smash'll probably either be something with all three Pokemon put together, or summoning some hyper-rare legendary (Mew? Arceus? Diagla/Palkia?). Mew seems most likely, considering that this is clearly the trainer from Red/Blue (aka Ash) judging from appearance and the Pokemon he carries (the Red/Blue starters not obtainable in other games). If Mewtwo is no longer playable, it could be him, too...

BTW, anyone notice how many Pokemon have been playable in Smash Bros? After Brawl, we'll have had...Pikachu, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur. They might as well make a Pokemon fighting game with the Smash Bros engine as they already have over a half dozen playable and several dozen as Pokeball summons already modelled.

plinkoman
Aug 13, 2007, 09:41 PM
Sonic is NOT the least likely to appear; in fact, since Nintendo has openly acknowledge that Sonic is the most requested Smash Bros character and individuals at Sega have been instructed not to talk about Smash Bros, and on top of that Sega is making Sonic/Mario crossover games, AND Nintendo is having Sega musicians work on Smash Bros, Sonic is probably at the top of the "most likely" list, despite the fact that you don't want him on it.

I tend to agree. I can't think of a single other character not already in the game that would get people as pumped up as Sonic. I can also think of no reason why Nintendo or Sega would not want Sonic in the game.

michaelltd
Aug 13, 2007, 10:53 PM
BTW, anyone notice how many Pokemon have been playable in Smash Bros? After Brawl, we'll have had...Pikachu, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur. They might as well make a Pokemon fighting game with the Smash Bros engine as they already have over a half dozen playable and several dozen as Pokeball summons already modelled.

I've been wanting that for a long time.

Conveniently, the number of attacks a Pokémon can learn is the same as the number of special attacks in Smash Bros.

I say make a new Pokémon game for the Wii and make it a real Pokémon RPG (Not simply another stadium game) and use the Smash Bros engine for battles. Make some attacks standard for all Pokémon (meaning that they don't forget them and they don't count as one of their four moves) such as Tackle, Pound, etc. and these would be their normal attacks.

SamIchi
Aug 14, 2007, 02:44 AM
I've been wanting that for a long time.

Conveniently, the number of attacks a Pokémon can learn is the same as the number of special attacks in Smash Bros.

I say make a new Pokémon game for the Wii and make it a real Pokémon RPG (Not simply another stadium game) and use the Smash Bros engine for battles. Make some attacks standard for all Pokémon (meaning that they don't forget them and they don't count as one of their four moves) such as Tackle, Pound, etc. and these would be their normal attacks.

That wouldn't be an RPG then... It'd be like a fighting game with RPG elements of viceversa. It would be way too hard to make 150+ characters with individual movesets and stats. Moves could be generic, but then you gotta account for wieght, toughness, and all those goody physics mechanics that are found in smash. Unless you categorize everyone, which would then dumb down the game to a generic, dumbed down pokemon/smash game. I don't think it's a good idea, I think that was the point I was tryin' to make, heh. Sorry not to bash your idea, but that's just my thoughts.

I don't play Pokemon, but I think they should make their next Pokemon concentrated totally on online gameplay, with tourny's and everything. I know they won't though... Oh Ninnty.

GFLPraxis
Aug 14, 2007, 02:52 AM
That wouldn't be an RPG then... It'd be like a fighting game with RPG elements of viceversa. It would be way too hard to make 150+ characters with individual movesets and stats. Moves could be generic, but then you gotta account for wieght, toughness, and all those goody physics mechanics that are found in smash. Unless you categorize everyone, which would then dumb down the game to a generic, dumbed down pokemon/smash game. I don't think it's a good idea, I think that was the point I was tryin' to make, heh. Sorry not to bash your idea, but that's just my thoughts.

I don't play Pokemon, but I think they should make their next Pokemon concentrated totally on online gameplay, with tourny's and everything. I know they won't though... Oh Ninnty.

Except that Pokemon already have stats for health, defense, attack, speed, etc etc...:)

SamIchi
Aug 14, 2007, 03:48 AM
Except that Pokemon already have stats for health, defense, attack, speed, etc etc...:)

Yea but i'm talkin about the smash physics and how it will be tied into that.

michaelltd
Aug 14, 2007, 11:19 PM

Well, look at the Tales games. They are RPGs with a real-time fighting system.

Also, I honestly don't think every Pokémon should be in this game. Why not just have 100 or maybe even less than that? I wouldn't be too disappointed if not every single one was in the game.

SamIchi
Aug 15, 2007, 01:38 AM
Well, look at the Tales games. They are RPGs with a real-time fighting system.

Tales fighting =/= Smash fighting.

esco
Aug 15, 2007, 01:41 AM
I hope Ike's grabs are as fast as Marth's...his grab and throws made for some awesome combos in Melee

GFLPraxis
Aug 15, 2007, 02:26 AM
New update. Stickers sound cool.

Also, screenshots might actually be useful this time around! If it saves it on the SD card as a JPEG...

michaelltd
Aug 15, 2007, 03:08 AM
Tales fighting =/= Smash fighting.

Okay then, I say Pokémon should have a Tales battle system! :)

Sky Blue
Aug 15, 2007, 08:46 AM
So WiFi is for sending sceenshots of stickers then...

Sky Blue
Aug 15, 2007, 08:48 AM
Nintendo has openly acknowledge that Sonic is the most requested Smash Bros character.

Confirmed: People have awful taste.

More at 11.

bobber205
Aug 15, 2007, 09:19 AM
So WiFi is for sending sceenshots of stickers then...
And for online matches! :cool:

Sky Blue
Aug 15, 2007, 09:37 AM

http://www.vinyltap.co.uk/gallery/jo/journdsb4975868861095320.jpg

atszyman
Aug 15, 2007, 10:27 AM

picture

Care to give a link then?

Here's one (http://wii.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html)

Even better, the game will be fully online playable in addition to featuring a robust multiplayer mode. "My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that," added Sakurai.

And another (http://www.nwiizone.com/nintendo-wii/nwii/smash-bros-brawl-confirmed-online/)

July 3, 2007 - Nintendo of America said on Monday that its hotly anticipated new Wii fighter, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, will not be playable at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2007. According to representatives for the subsidiary contacted by IGN, Nintendo has chosen not to display the game in playable form because it has a wealth of other products to show, including some surprises. This, however, does not mean that a formally playable Brawl will not be unveiled in the near future - perhaps shortly after E3 - at a separate event.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl was originally set to release at Wii launch, but was delayed to 2007 in order to give the team working on it more development time. The game features a huge cast of mascot fighters, a great many recognizable background stages and more musical compositions from famous videogame composers than any other videogame in existence. In addition, gamers will be able to choose their favorite fighter and battle online against friends.

Care to provide links where they've said online play will not be included? So far what little information I can find on the web says that online play will be there. It hasn't been mentioned recently but that doesn't mean it's not there.

If Madden 08 can go online on the Wii, why can't this?

Pucas
Aug 15, 2007, 10:40 AM
Soo nice!

- Thanks for the link :)

Dagless
Aug 15, 2007, 11:22 AM
I don't see why Strikers would be online and not Smash Bros Brawl.

plinkoman
Aug 15, 2007, 03:29 PM
What is it that keeps making people think/fear that it wont be online? When it was first introduced, Iwata said there would be online battles, and there's been nothing since then to suggest otherwise... aside from them not repeating it 800,000,000 times...

As for reggie not mentioning it during his online speech at E3; I think I might be the only person on earth to have noticed this, but the video montage of "online games" had a smash bros. battle in it.

Sky Blue
Aug 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
hey, if SSBB is online I will be very very happy indeed. It's just a lot of the stuff people are reading as confirmation is old speculative stuff from the start of 2006 or some fan site proclaiming it's there ("Metroid Prime 3 is online! Reggie said so!").

If it was in that E3 presentation I didn't see it.

GFLPraxis
Aug 15, 2007, 04:55 PM
hey, if SSBB is online I will be very very happy indeed. It's just a lot of the stuff people are reading as confirmation is old speculative stuff from the start of 2006 or some fan site proclaiming it's there ("Metroid Prime 3 is online! Reggie said so!").

A lot of times officials say things that are mistaken in small interviews; like Iwata said in 2004 that the Revolution could use a VGA monitor.

But generally, if something is said on stage it's accurate. And Smash Bros was stated to be "the first online game" for the Wii on stage in E3 2005.

plinkoman
Aug 16, 2007, 02:41 AM

Yea, like I said, I don't think anyone saw it except me.

scroll to about 48:00. He just finished introducing Mario Kart and wrapping up his speech about how nintendo is serious about online, and shows behind him a montage of online games, including in addition to Smash Bros, other confirmed online titles such as madden, fifa, mario kart etc...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNdCgnPga2A

Look to the far right.

Dagless
Aug 16, 2007, 05:13 AM
Lovely stuff!

Ja Di ksw
Aug 16, 2007, 10:26 AM

scroll to about 48:00. He just finished introducing Mario Kart and wrapping up his speech about how nintendo is serious about online, and shows behind him a montage of online games, including in addition to Smash Bros, other confirmed online titles such as madden, fifa, mario kart etc...

Look to the far right.

I just watched what you were referring to. While I do hope that Smash is online (and I've seen Praxis pull out old quotes that say it's going to), that video doesn't even really suggest it. The montage of games is being shown after he's done talking about Mario Kart being online, and it (the montage) comes up while he's talking about all the new things the Wii has to offer, such as the Wii Zapper. It's not about games that are going to be online.

GFLPraxis
Aug 16, 2007, 11:11 AM
I just watched what you were referring to. While I do hope that Smash is online (and I've seen Praxis pull out old quotes that say it's going to), that video doesn't even really suggest it. The montage of games is being shown after he's done talking about Mario Kart being online, and it (the montage) comes up while he's talking about all the new things the Wii has to offer, such as the Wii Zapper. It's not about games that are going to be online.

Again, watch the E3 2005 press conference.

Nintendo's said it 3 or 4 times, and they've done nothing to suggest that it's not.

plinkoman
Aug 16, 2007, 11:38 AM

You have to watch more of the video; before and after that part. That section is all part of his "we are serious about online" speech. That was the whole premise of the Mario Kart announcement. Not that that in and of itself means the world (it could just be filler I suppose), but combined with the original announcement, and some common sense, I would wager that a wii version of halo is probably more likely than smash bros. not having online.

Smash Bros. has always been about the multiplayer experience (unlike Metroid for example), and since Nintendo's online is obviously up and running finally, there is absolutely no reason for nintendo to not include it. They may not always be the best at marketing their products, but their not that dumb.

SamIchi
Aug 16, 2007, 01:54 PM

Look to the far right.

Hmmm I don't know about all this online stuff, and even if it is online, it could just mean trading stickers or sumthin, not necessarily online fighting. Although I do really want it to be online, I hope the gameplay isn't comprimised by lag too much. So once again "online" can have many meanings.

bobber205
Aug 16, 2007, 06:33 PM
Oh my god. I just saw a youtube video that listed what characters this person wanted.

Including others it said "All Melee characters except Dr. Mario" WTF. Do people really hate him that much? :eek:

And I just got a brilliant idea. ;)

I think they're going to replace Game and Watch with your Mii character!

Wouldn't that be so cool? :p

plinkoman
Aug 16, 2007, 07:02 PM

Wow, thats a good idea.

SamIchi
Aug 17, 2007, 12:52 AM
Oh my god. I just saw a youtube video that listed what characters this person wanted.

Including others it said "All Melee characters except Dr. Mario" WTF. Do people really hate him that much? :eek:

I have no probs with Dr. Mario. I think they should bring everyone back. As for replacing G&W, I'd be against that, even if it was my Mii.

Antares
Aug 17, 2007, 09:33 AM

That is a great idea. I don't think they'll implement it in Smash but I really like it. What kind of moves/weapons would a Mii have, though? Boxing gloves and a bat, maybe?

bobber205
Aug 19, 2007, 12:12 AM
They have announced that 3 characters won't be returning (long time ago they announced this I think)

Game and Watch: replaced with Miis.
Young Link: replaced with Wind Waker link
Ice Climbers. Sonic and Tails!

I win. :cool:

GFLPraxis
Aug 19, 2007, 12:22 AM
They have announced that 3 characters won't be returning (long time ago they announced this I think)

When was this announced? I find myself very doubtful, as I would have seen it.

Also, I love the Sonic & Tails tag team idea, but hope they don't suck like Ice Climbers.

zap2
Aug 19, 2007, 10:00 AM
When was this announced? I find myself very doubtful, as I would have seen it.

Also, I love the Sonic & Tails tag team idea, but hope they don't suck like Ice Climbers.

I think it was a joke

bobber205
Aug 19, 2007, 01:34 PM
I think it was a joke

No it's true. I read it I think a couple years ago when the game was first announced. Seriously.

Vidd
Aug 19, 2007, 03:47 PM

Oh good, this old rumour again.
Last time it mentioned Ridley but no Miis.

Wayfarer
Aug 19, 2007, 04:02 PM
I'm really digging these daily dojo updates. I've been following them since the site first opened.

SamIchi
Aug 19, 2007, 06:00 PM

Megaton'd1!!1

Sky Blue
Aug 19, 2007, 06:03 PM
No it's true. I read it I think a couple years ago when the game was first announced. Seriously.

I read it too. It was in the same press release where they stated 110% confirmation of WiFi play.

plinkoman
Aug 19, 2007, 06:35 PM
I read it too. It was in the same press release where they stated 110% confirmation of WiFi play.

ok... they seriously did confirm online when they announced the game. This is getting a little old.

GFLPraxis
Aug 19, 2007, 07:39 PM

It was a rumor; I guarantee you it was never officially announced.

GFLPraxis
Aug 19, 2007, 07:42 PM

You know what? Stop this ridiculousness. Nintendo said it on stage, on film, at E3 2005. One year later, at E3 2006, he said:

Even better, the game will be fully online playable in addition to featuring a robust multiplayer mode. "My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that," added Sakurai.

Sakurai is the director of the game.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

Let's add to the fact that it's been announced like three times (including on stage and in interviews), the fact that it has shown up on Japanese retailer lists as a WiFi title.

So pull your fingers out of your ears and get on board with the rest of us instead of living in denial of the fact that it was announced.

It may have been pulled but I've seen if confirmed at least 3 times and Nintendo has never stated it doesn't. Meanwhile, Multiplayer Metroid was never even mentioned in the first place.

Sky Blue
Aug 19, 2007, 09:20 PM

That quote is taken out of context, what follows directly from that interview:

But, at the same time, I think it may be a lot of work for us to try to come up with a system that will allow four players to play simultaneously and try to find out who's number one. We're mainly focusing more along the lines of bringing lots of people in together to play simultaneously in perhaps some new and different ways.

and
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642

#141-150: If they add online functionality to the game (they are still working out technical difficulties), they do not plan to add a ranking system to online battles.

Talking about his "plan" is one thing, but it has never been confirmed by Nintendo. If it is, yay! ... but I don't expect it.

Sky Blue
Aug 21, 2007, 06:32 AM
R.O.B!

Petey Piranha!

Dagless
Aug 21, 2007, 06:41 AM
The Ancient Minister reminds me of Zant crossed with Robotnic, in a Windwaker art style. And that video is a little bit brilliant :D , good to see Petey back. Looks like Mario's blasting off again. Any faces in the clouds this time :D

ROB's being used for evil? :(

takao
Aug 21, 2007, 06:44 AM

evil nintendo robots FTW

Sky Blue
Aug 21, 2007, 10:14 AM
So far there's 16 Character profiles (not including Meta Knight or Snake), hopefully the next new character is good :(

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thMario.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/Mario.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thLink.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/Link.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thPikachu.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/Pikachu.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thKirby.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/Kirby.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thFox.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/Fox.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thWario.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/Wario.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thZelda.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/Zelda.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thPit.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/Pit.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thBowser.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/Bowser.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thDonkeyKong.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/DonkeyKong.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thZeroSamus.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/ZeroSamus.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thSamus.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/Samus.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thYoshi.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/Yoshi.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thIke.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/Ike.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thPokemonTrainer.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/PokemonTrainer.jpg) http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Thumbs/thPeach.jpg (http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Smash%20Gallery%20Full/Peach.jpg)

atszyman
Aug 21, 2007, 10:39 AM
The Ancient Minister reminds me of Zant crossed with Robotnic, in a Windwaker art style. And that video is a little bit brilliant :D , good to see Petey back. Looks like Mario's blasting off again. Any faces in the clouds this time :D

I'm thinking Orko (http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/he-man/orko.html) from the 1980's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon...

srobert
Aug 21, 2007, 11:10 AM
Do you guys think this pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/levyjl1988/roster.jpg) is real or photoshopped?

I can't find the source.

Edit: Could be false. Interface/color scheme looks different than what has been shown on the official site (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various02.html).

GFLPraxis
Aug 21, 2007, 12:33 PM
It wouldn't be too hard to do- every image there is taken from the Smash Bros site. You could photoshop a pic, put it on a monitor, and photograph it.

Then again, it could be real too.

It seems not to fit Nintendo's normal setup though; they usually have the starting characters in the middle and don't show the ?'s until you start unlocking characters.

EDIT: Also, where are the tokens you place on characters? Then again, it's not necessary for the game. I don't see a sensor bar on that TV though.

Dagless
Aug 22, 2007, 05:22 AM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/diddykong/diddykong.jpg

Awesome. He needs to be in there, the DK series is full of characters after all.

DoFoT9
Aug 22, 2007, 05:35 AM
best game EVER!!!! so wish i had a wii

Sky Blue
Aug 22, 2007, 06:11 AM
noooooooooooooooooo
:(

Dagless
Aug 22, 2007, 07:17 AM
Do you guys think this pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/levyjl1988/roster.jpg) is real or photoshopped?

How convienent it's only showing characters that have been announced :rolleyes:

srobert
Aug 22, 2007, 08:12 AM
How convienent it's only showing characters that have been announced :rolleyes:

Yeah. I also found it odd that the starting characters were scattered all over the place.

bobber205
Aug 22, 2007, 09:21 AM
Nice addition. :)

barr08
Aug 22, 2007, 10:14 AM
Diddy Kong! (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/diddykong.html)

Dagless
Aug 22, 2007, 11:22 AM
Look up ;)

GFLPraxis
Aug 22, 2007, 01:05 PM

I can't find the source.

Edit: Could be false. Interface/color scheme looks different than what has been shown on the official site (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various02.html).

Is that Ganondorf I see in there?

Then the question is to simply wait till Ganondorf is announced on the Smash Bros Dojo and see if his icon matches that one.

michaelltd
Aug 22, 2007, 01:14 PM
Is that Ganondorf I see in there?

Then the question is to simply wait till Ganondorf is announced on the Smash Bros Dojo and see if his icon matches that one.

Captain Flacon too it appears.

barr08
Aug 22, 2007, 01:29 PM
Look up ;)

I don't see it.

I can't view most pictures posted on this forum because of blocked hosts at work. Did you post it in a picture?

I can't even visit the link I posted, haha.

bobber205
Aug 22, 2007, 09:56 PM
So is it the consensus here that every Melee character will be in Brawl? :)

Dagless
Aug 22, 2007, 10:09 PM
So is it the consensus here that every Melee character will be in Brawl? :)

Apparently they've removed Ice Climbers and Game & Watch. Thing is I cannot remember if this was announced or just rumours.
Ike has pretty much replaced Marth though.

zap2
Aug 22, 2007, 10:12 PM
Apparently they've removed Ice Climbers and Game & Watch. Thing is I cannot remember if this was announced or just rumours.

I can't see those guys going, Doc Mario and Young Link I can see, there SO similar to Mario/Link.

Ice Climbers and Game&Watch were SO different. Marth and Roy were to similar too IMO

Dagless
Aug 22, 2007, 10:19 PM
Never had a match with 2 skilled Smash Bros players as Marth and Roy? The differences are night and day, I forget who's who but one guy's damage spot was in the middle of the sword whilst the other chaps was on the tip, different speeds and such. I mean yea they're similar, but with enough differences that I could beat Event 51 with Roy and not with Marth.

Ditto for Young Link. I pwn with him, not so much big Link. Mario/Dr. Mario were very similar. But I love Dr. Mario's song.

Wayfarer
Aug 22, 2007, 10:19 PM

I can't find the source.

Obviously fake. The samus model is the exact some one from melee.

Sky Blue
Aug 22, 2007, 10:47 PM

Rumored (like online, GUFFHAW)

I hope they don't bring ice climbers back, they blew.

plinkoman
Aug 22, 2007, 11:07 PM
Rumored (like online, GUFFHAW)

Exactly... except that online was announced.

bobber205
Aug 23, 2007, 12:14 AM
I can pwn with young link but not his older self either.

And I rarely lose as Marth.

Dr. Mario and Mario were simiar but Dr. Mario was slower, had a different and more damaging "fireball" and did more damage overall.

Dr. Mario > Mario

GFLPraxis
Aug 23, 2007, 02:08 AM

Rumor.

We have no idea who's been taken out.

Obviously fake. The samus model is the exact some one from melee.

No its not; it's the Samus model from Brawl, the same one as appears on the Smash Bros Brawl web site.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/samus/samus.jpg

pcypert
Aug 23, 2007, 03:59 AM
I can't wait for this to come out...just so that all this will stop being so dang Greek to me. I don't know half the names being thrown around or why they would matter :)

Paul

Dagless
Aug 23, 2007, 04:54 AM
Ooooh that crazy site admin, he's gone and posted 2 updates for today.

At first I was curious as to how they're going to have to put out updates every day and still have secrets for launch. Then they pull off something like this? There must be an awful lot in Brawl :)

Sky Blue
Aug 23, 2007, 01:45 PM
Exactly... except that online was announced.

really? cool. I must've missed the press release.

bobber205
Aug 29, 2007, 09:18 AM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/images/assist06/assist06_070828.jpg

Nice to see the original andross getting some love. :cool:

GFLPraxis
Aug 29, 2007, 11:54 AM
really? cool. I must've missed the press release.

It was stated on stage at E3 2005 when they announced Smash Bros.

It was confirmed in developer interviews as well several times, such as this one at E3 2006:
"My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that," added Sakurai.

Sakurai is the director.

Antares
Aug 29, 2007, 01:41 PM
I thought Andross is an ape-like, android-type character.

As for actual online matches, I guess we'll truly find out in a couple of months. Just because a game has "online functionality" and "Wi-Fi connection compatibility," doesn't necessarily mean that the game will have online, multiplayer matches. It could simply be a way to trade screen grabs, scores, trophies (to unlock characters) or similar things like that. Prime 3 has "online functionality" and "Wi-Fi connection compatibility" yet it doesn't have any multiplayer, does it?

For the record, I believe Smash will have online matches. It would be very foolish not to include that with a game of this type.

Sky Blue
Aug 29, 2007, 02:08 PM
It was stated on stage at E3 2005 when they announced Smash Bros.

It was confirmed in developer interviews as well several times, such as this one at E3 2006:

Sakurai is the director.

hehe.

I wouldn't say that's confirmation. I might say to the wife "I plan to do the dishes tonight"...it doesn't mean I'm going to.

I really, really, really hope it is online.

But I don't think it will be.

GFLPraxis
Aug 29, 2007, 03:38 PM
hehe.

I wouldn't say that's confirmation. I might say to the wife "I plan to do the dishes tonight"...it doesn't mean I'm going to.

I really, really, really hope it is online.

But I don't think it will be.

...Satoru Iwata announcing it on stage isn't enough for you? He specifically said Smash Bros will let you battle online using Nintendo Wi-Fi connection.

bluebomberman
Aug 29, 2007, 09:20 PM
...Satoru Iwata announcing it on stage isn't enough for you? He specifically said Smash Bros will let you battle online using Nintendo Wi-Fi connection.

How about an unequivocal announcement on the official site?

zap2
Aug 29, 2007, 09:24 PM

In due time I'm sure...but with that logic Meta Knight isn't in Brawl? Or Snake?

twistedlegato
Aug 29, 2007, 09:31 PM
This game gets better and better each day (weekday that is):)

Dagless
Aug 29, 2007, 09:36 PM
^ It does, doesn't it! It's now the first site I check in the mornings :D

GFLPraxis
Aug 30, 2007, 01:05 AM

Sakurai had several interviews that talked about Wi-Fi on the site prior to the redesign.

bluebomberman
Aug 30, 2007, 01:30 AM
In due time I'm sure...but with that logic Meta Knight isn't in Brawl? Or Snake?

The official site hosts video footage of Meta Knight and Snake, so my logic is still...um, logical. :o

Look, the fact that we're arguing about whether there will be online brawling tells me that there's confusion and Nintendo ought to clear the air. (At least that's how I would do things.) But maybe they're being ambiguous because they just don't know for sure right now.

twistedlegato
Aug 30, 2007, 05:54 AM
Metanight is in for sure. They keep saying he's a charecter. Lik ein todays update. But for some reason they never make him his own update.:confused:

Dagless
Aug 30, 2007, 06:14 AM
Look, the fact that we're arguing about whether there will be online brawling tells me that there's confusion and Nintendo ought to clear the air.

No there's confusion from people who don't listen to multiple stage announcements.

GFLPraxis
Aug 30, 2007, 09:01 AM
The official site hosts video footage of Meta Knight and Snake, so my logic is still...um, logical. :o

Look, the fact that we're arguing about whether there will be online brawling tells me that there's confusion and Nintendo ought to clear the air. (At least that's how I would do things.) But maybe they're being ambiguous because they just don't know for sure right now.

There's really no argument or ambiguity. Nintendo has said it five or six times at this point; once on stage, by the CEO himself, another time by the CEO in an interview, in at least two or three interviews with the director and in a blog post by the director.

Apparently, people think that the game still doesn't have online play despite all this.

Sky Blue
Sep 2, 2007, 08:17 PM
boxart...real or fake?

http://www.estarland.com/images/products/29/28429/52117.jpg

bobber205
Sep 2, 2007, 10:59 PM
Doubt it's real.

If Sonic is in the game, he WILL be on the box imo. :cool:

GFLPraxis
Sep 3, 2007, 01:56 AM
Then again, Nintendo traditionally never shows secret characters on the box. I suspect Snake is a secret character, which is why he doesn't appear on the Smash Bros Dojo OR in any screenshots.

Dagless
Sep 3, 2007, 06:14 AM
Okay, so there's a bit on the new video released today that made the back of my neck tingle :eek:

Sky Blue
Sep 3, 2007, 09:07 AM
Doubt it's real.

If Sonic is in the game, he WILL be on the box imo. :cool:

Third party characters will be unlockables, and therefore won't be on the box.

Dagless
Sep 3, 2007, 09:36 AM
Aye, the box art only shows the initial characters.

Sky Blue
Sep 4, 2007, 09:08 PM
so 3 boxarts have been added to gamecrazy....spot the odd one out (other than one not having Mario)

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/thumb_11739.jpg
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/thumb_11900.jpg
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/thumb_12011.jpg

zap2
Sep 4, 2007, 09:32 PM
Hmmm...I wonder if there real for not.

Ghost Squad and Mario&Sonic has wi-fi...but none for Super Smash Bro Brawl?

I call fake! One atleast 1 of them

Sky Blue
Sep 4, 2007, 09:51 PM
the SSBB one is real.

Dagless
Sep 4, 2007, 09:53 PM
Online battling aside, I thought it was set in stone there would be other kind of online feature?

SamIchi
Sep 4, 2007, 10:35 PM
the SSBB one is real.

Sometimes they put up art that doesn't match the actual product. December is still a bits away so I say it can still change.

LOL @ all the online quarreling. Either way it's goin to be an awesome game, although online would make it totally awesome.

bobber205
Sep 4, 2007, 10:48 PM
Online battling aside, I thought it was set in stone there would be other kind of online feature?

The "sticker trading" was ON the site so it should have the wifi notice. It's fake.

Sky Blue
Sep 5, 2007, 09:00 AM
The "sticker trading" was ON the site so it should have the wifi notice. It's fake.

You mean like the online trading in Metroid Prime and Elebits? I think you should take a look at their box art.

Sticker trading was never specifically described as online, though probably will be.

Other than the rating, this box art is real.

atszyman
Sep 5, 2007, 10:41 AM
the SSBB one is real.

What makes you say it's real? That it was posted at an online game site? Where is the official announcement on Nintendo's site? If you won't believe online play without a link on the official site why would you believe the box art without a link as well?

Why couldn't it be this one (http://www.vgboxart.com/view/4031/super.smash.bros.brawl/)? Other than the fact that it states it's a user creation immediately following.

GFLPraxis
Sep 5, 2007, 12:18 PM
Why couldn't it be this one (http://www.vgboxart.com/view/4031/super.smash.bros.brawl/)? Other than the fact that it states it's a user creation immediately following.
While I'm not stating that either boxart is real, it's important to note that this boxart that you link to uses entirely previously released art by Nintendo, and:
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/thumb_11739.jpg
Uses entirely original art. The fact that the art is entirely original and not taken from any Nintendo-released media makes it VERY likely it is real.

However, there is absolutely no proof of it being legit, so we'll see.

atszyman
Sep 5, 2007, 12:56 PM
While I'm not stating that either boxart is real, it's important to note that this boxart that you link to uses entirely previously released art by Nintendo, and:

Uses entirely original art. The fact that the art is entirely original and not taken from any Nintendo-released media makes it VERY likely it is real.

However, there is absolutely no proof of it being legit, so we'll see.

I kind of missed the whole Game Cube generation, so my knowledge of Nintento boxart is limited.

For someone who seems so skeptical of network play because it isn't on Nintendo's site I was just pointing out that some seem pretty accepting of the Box Art even though it's only from 3rd parties.

Sky Blue
Sep 5, 2007, 07:43 PM
We've already had the Galaxy box, and brawl isn't too far behind that. It's turned up now on numerous retail sites, and has been confirmed as coming from Nintendo by those sites. Obviously the rating isn't set, and there may be some small changes, but it's 95% to what you'll see on the shelves in dec.

zap2
Sep 5, 2007, 08:24 PM
We've already had the Galaxy box, and brawl isn't too far behind that. It's turned up now on numerous retail sites, and has been confirmed as coming from Nintendo by those sites. Obviously the rating isn't set, and there may be some small changes, but it's 95% to what you'll see on the shelves in dec.

True, Galaxy's was thought to be done, and it was "fixed" recently..thank goodness!

atszyman
Sep 6, 2007, 05:24 AM

You're still taking the word of non-Nintendo entities that this is the real deal, yet when previous quotes of developers saying online play would be in the game are shown to you, you dismiss them.

And why can't 5% of the changes be the addition of a blue WiFi circle? Or do you think that they would use the boxart to announce WiFi play?

The only reason I can see for not putting the speculation to bed with an official announcement points to online play being present. If they don't have online play they'd best announce it now and publicly or risk a huge sales backlash for the throngs that still think it does. If it's not there announcing earlier would make sense so those who want it most have time to adjust and come to terms to justify buying it.

The only reason I can see to not kill the speculation is that online play is/will be there and they want to make a spectacular announcement about it closer to release for more publicity.

SamIchi
Sep 6, 2007, 08:26 AM
I'm not too happy about the Fludd for Mario's special moves. I'm hoping there's 2 versions, classic Mario and Sunshine Mario. Mario ain't Mario without fireballs and a super jump attack. He is such a balanced player, I really hope there's 2 versions of him.

Dagless
Sep 6, 2007, 08:36 AM
Same here. I'm a bit dissapointed with the Fludd weapon :o

GFLPraxis
Sep 6, 2007, 08:57 AM
I'm not too happy about the Fludd for Mario's special moves. I'm hoping there's 2 versions, classic Mario and Sunshine Mario. Mario ain't Mario without fireballs and a super jump attack. He is such a balanced player, I really hope there's 2 versions of him.

What are you talking about? FLUDD only replaced Mario's down-and-B move, and he can still use that move via down-and-A. Mario still has his super jump, fireball, and cape moves.

Antares
Sep 6, 2007, 10:22 AM
I speculate that some of you are wrong in your opinion about Wi-Fi and online play regarding the new Smash Bros..

GFLPraxis
Sep 6, 2007, 11:25 AM
Yeah, we'll see what happens. The boxart is starting to introduce doubts now, despite how many times Nintendo has confirmed WiFi. But suffice to say I will be extremely angry if Smash Bros is not online; quite possibly enough to walk straight up to Reggie and whine about it directly at the next press event :D

Antares
Sep 6, 2007, 12:29 PM
Perhaps someone should put up a poll asking whether or not we think Smash will have online matches, no online support, or misc online features (but not matches).

Sky Blue
Sep 7, 2007, 03:13 PM
things got interesting....

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/230015brp.jpg

Dagless
Sep 7, 2007, 04:05 PM
Hmmm indeed.

Antares
Sep 7, 2007, 05:49 PM
Photoshop?

Sky Blue
Sep 7, 2007, 06:07 PM
Photoshop?

sorry, should've said it's on EB Games site. Could be somebody screwing around..we'll see if it pops up anywhere else.

Sky Blue
Sep 11, 2007, 09:10 AM
woooo, Lyn!

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/images/assist07/assist07_070911b.jpg

bobber205
Sep 11, 2007, 09:12 AM
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

At last!!!!!!!! :D
Oh wait. She's just a trophy.... :(

Dagless
Sep 11, 2007, 11:33 AM
I really liked Fire Emblem on the GBA, good to see Lyn in there!

Antares
Sep 11, 2007, 12:01 PM
Could someone remind me what the trophies are for?

Sky Blue
Sep 11, 2007, 12:28 PM
Could someone remind me what the trophies are for?

they work like pokemon balls, they assist you or just get in the way.

Dagless
Sep 13, 2007, 06:32 AM
So I hear Nintendo/HAL sat under a tree and meditated for a bit of a while and came up with a method of pretty much making the game replayable to the Nth degree.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/gamemode/various/images/various04/various04_070913a-l.jpg

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/gamemode/various/images/various04/various04_070913d-l.jpg