PDA

View Full Version : PS3 1.80 w/ upscaling, about damn time!

sikkinixx
May 23, 2007, 09:05 AM
http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2007/5/23-52

well that makes me happy. PS2 games look kinda crappy on my 50" DLP so this should help nicely :D

Coded-Dude
May 23, 2007, 10:04 AM
Sweet! :D Just started playing FFXII, and it will look so much better scaled.
I can't wait! Now I can play some of those other games I've been holding off on as well.

(SoTC, GOW2, etc)

gloss
May 23, 2007, 12:55 PM
I'm trying to figure out if they mean simple image scaling, like my SXRD does already, or that the console will actually play the games in high resolution.

e²Studios
May 23, 2007, 12:56 PM
..., or that the console will actually play the games in high resolution.

Yes, it will upscale the games and standard DVDs to 1080p.

killmoms
May 23, 2007, 12:57 PM

I don't think you understood the question, since this statement certainly doesn't answer it.

mkrishnan
May 23, 2007, 01:01 PM
I'm very curious to see what a PS1 or PS2 game looks like at 1080p with this. From my understanding, the effect of upscaling on DVDs isn't massive, but it is really nice. I guess it all depends (for the majority of people using fixed-pixel devices like a plasma or LCD TV) whether the scaler is able to do a nicer job smoothing out the 1080p output than the TV can do, since obviously all content is getting scaled to native anyway. The PS3 certainly ought to be able to do a better job than most TVs.

But as far as games go, some of the PC/Mac emulators have amazing enhanced scaling modes that make games look much better onscreen than they do on the original devices.

EDIT: Does this feature mean what I think it means:

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available.

Does this mean you can play PS3 games in a remote desktop type of environment on a PSP? :eek:

Coded-Dude
May 23, 2007, 01:14 PM
If PSP had dual-analog, SIXAXIS, as well as R2/L2 triggers.....then yes, yes you could :p

Basically this will allow you to access content on your PS3, from ANYWHERE in the world.
(as long as you have a PSP, and are near a WAP)
The ability to download & play PlayStation Classics, as well as listen to music, watch movies, or share pictures.
Hell you could even access your Eye3 and see whats going on in your room while your gone. :o

This was a confirmed feature a long time ago, and its about time they offered it

gloss
May 23, 2007, 01:43 PM

I'm talking about increasing the native resolution of PS1/PS2 games, not just upconverting them. PC-based Emulators (and even the 360s) do this.

mkrishnan
May 23, 2007, 01:52 PM
This was a confirmed feature a long time ago, and its about time they offered it

Ahhh, I see now. If I had a PS3 and a PSP, I'm not sure if I'd bother with this or not. I guess being able to get all your purchased classic games is nice, although one would think Sony could just let you do that from the PSP to their servers if they really wanted.... ;)

Coded-Dude
May 23, 2007, 01:57 PM
Yes, but what if you have a load of personal media on your PS3. (music, pictures, etc., not found on PSN/CONNECT)
Now instead of having to transfer it to your PSP while at home, to go show your friends, you can download/stream it right form you PS3 HDD over the net.

PSP will have PSN access very soon, that is also confirmed - this just makes your data accessible over the net. Sony's media already is(kind of).

Mac-Addict
May 23, 2007, 01:59 PM
Ugh this is another reason for me to get a PS3 over a 360... someone help :(

kuebby
May 23, 2007, 02:06 PM
I'm trying to figure out if they mean simple image scaling, like my SXRD does already, or that the console will actually play the games in high resolution.

They haven't said yet and there is really no indication one way or the other, though my guess is upscaling, but either way it will look good.

Either way I'm excited about remote access to the PS3 HDD. With a 200gb HDD in there full of music and video you could access that anywhere with a PSP. That sounds like a sweet deal.

And the new camera for the PS3 is incredible which I'm sure will be able to be used with this feature.

gloss
May 23, 2007, 02:49 PM
They haven't said yet and there is really no indication one way or the other, though my guess is upscaling, but either way it will look good.

Unless your TV's already got a good internal scaler, in which case it will look...identical.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

fiercetiger224
May 23, 2007, 03:58 PM
Unless your TV's already got a good internal scaler, in which case it will look...identical.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Yeah, but usually it's better for the unit to do the scaling before it's passed along to the TV, because once the 480i/p signal is passed along to the TV, it's already lost quality, and then scaling it up to 1080p...Not a pretty sight...

Since the PS3 is going to be doing the scaling internally, it can bypass rendering at 480i/p and render directly to 1080p, so that it has psuedo-native 1080p... :D If that makes any sense.

risc
May 23, 2007, 04:21 PM
"Version 1.80 also allows PS3 users on a home network to stream media content (photos, videos, and music) stored on a DLNA-enabled device onto their PS3 system. DLNA is a system that enables digital devices such as personal computers, DVRs, and TVs to be connected to a network and share data with other connected devices, in this case a PS3 system. This new functionality reinforces the value of PS3 system as a home entertainment hub."

That is the part I am most interested in. Now I just need to find out what the hell a DLNA-enabled device is, and just hope to God my Macs are!

GFLPraxis
May 23, 2007, 07:33 PM
Finally, the stuff Sony promised shows up!

Guess I'm getting a PS3.

When the price goes down and I have a HDTV to warrant the streaming.

So, a couple years from now.

I still want to put Linux on a PS3, and I like the idea of a streaming video server, but my 60 GB iPod works fine for video storage at this point.

fiercetiger224
May 23, 2007, 08:47 PM
In case anyone is wondering, it has been confirmed that the US AND Japanese consoles will also do PS1/PS2 upscaling to 1080p. There was much speculation that this would only apply to the European models because these consoles did not contain the Emotion Engine + Graphics Synthesizer chipsets. BUT, now that SCEA has confirmed that the update will include PS1/PS2 upscaling, everyone can be happy! :D

Source: IGN (http://games.ign.com/articles/791/791390p1.html)

Looks like with each month passing by, Sony is giving users what they promised! :)

jaw04005
May 23, 2007, 09:29 PM
At least Sony is releasing updates on a monthly basis, and not twice a year.

I hope to see the so-called leaked 2.0 features—particularly an RSS channel feature—come about soon also.

fiercetiger224
May 23, 2007, 10:27 PM
Looks Like The Update Is Available! I'm Updating As I Speak! :d

Oofie
May 24, 2007, 12:29 AM
"Version 1.80 also allows PS3 users on a home network to stream media content (photos, videos, and music) stored on a DLNA-enabled device onto their PS3 system. DLNA is a system that enables digital devices such as personal computers, DVRs, and TVs to be connected to a network and share data with other connected devices, in this case a PS3 system. This new functionality reinforces the value of PS3 system as a home entertainment hub."

That is the part I am most interested in. Now I just need to find out what the hell a DLNA-enabled device is, and just hope to God my Macs are!

I have updated my PS3, but for the life of me, I couldnt share my photos and music with my PS3. I am guessing Macs aren't DLNA compatible?

Coded-Dude
May 24, 2007, 01:00 AM
Right now, there are two classes of DLNA CERTIFIED™ devices: Digital Media Servers (DMS) and Digital Media Players (DMP). Player devices (DMP) can find and play or display the content that is shared on your network by server devices (DMS). Some examples of DMP products are TV monitors, stereo systems, home theaters, printers, personal digital assistants, multimedia mobile phones, wireless monitors and game consoles.

Server devices (DMS) can record and store media content, and share this on the network - where this is allowed by content protection rules. Some examples of DMS products are advanced set-top boxes, digital video recorders, PCs and laptops, stereo and home theaters with hard disk drives (for example, music servers), broadcast tuners, video and imaging capture devices such as cameras and camcorders, and multimedia mobile phones.

But the DLNA guidelines are very flexible. Some devices offer rich user interfaces and some do not. With some server devices you can also manage your media collection or manage other devices on the network. Some server devices can also be player devices: a laptop can share, but also play its content. source (http://certification.dlna.org/products/)

:( I don't see Apple on that list of companies.....

illegalprelude
May 24, 2007, 04:46 AM
ive made the PS3 find my PC's no problem. It needed windows media player 11 but now im grabbing Video's, music and photo's off the network and from there, you can tell it to search by artist, genre and all sorts of jazz and you can copy them over from your network

I then tried iTunes and no go, not under shared or anything but my laptop does have a problem and I do only have iTunes 6.04 (i cant make the new updates work on this unit, probably needs a reformat) but I havent tried this with my other PC's that have the newest iTunes or my Mac because their on another network and not this.

nateDEEZY
May 24, 2007, 08:23 AM
I have updated my PS3, but for the life of me, I couldnt share my photos and music with my PS3. I am guessing Macs aren't DLNA compatible?

I don't think we needed that for our mac's? Couldn't you just enable windows file sharing.. I guess i'll find out soon enough.

Guess it doesn't work via windows file sharing >_<

jaw04005
May 24, 2007, 09:17 AM
You need a UPnP server on your mac to serve content to the PS 3. There are really only two, that I know of, available.

EyeConnect ($50/30 day free trial)
www.elgato.com

Configurable through a system preference pane.

TwonkyVision ($30/30 day free trial)
http://www.twonkyvision.de/

Configurable by a web browser.

By the way, if you have an AirPort Extreme (Snow/Graphite) Base Station it does not support UPnP. You can connect the two, but the PS 3 will continue to warn you that it has been disconnected from the media server (over and over again) when trying to access content. Not sure about the 802.11n AirPort Base Station.

gloss
May 24, 2007, 09:42 AM
For those of us not currently at home, can anyone report on the quality improvement, if any, on PS1/PS2 games with the new firmware?

Silentwave
May 24, 2007, 10:15 AM
weird...the website keeps saying 1.70 is the one available....

I want my hitman in HD :)

gloss
May 24, 2007, 10:24 AM
From what I've been reading:

PS1/PS2 pscaling is just that: upscaling. You will have slightly improved image quality at best, but the system is NOT playing the games in HD.

DVD Upscaling is superb. The PS3 is now the leading DVD/Blu-ray player on the market. Blu-ray will also, finally, scale properly to 720p. Good news for those of you with older HDTVs.

Media Streaming needs work - format compatibility is not so great. The PS3 does not like M4A (iTunes AAC) files and will not play them, and I'm hearing that there are also issues with MP4 and h.264 video playback. They also don't have support for Matroska (MKV and MKA) format files, which means that a good chunk of HD video content isn't going to work either.

I'll get home and test it out myself tonight.

MacRumorUser
May 24, 2007, 10:39 AM
A nice update which add's features that should have really been there from the off. Now the only thing I have to do is get round to downloading it :o

gloss
May 24, 2007, 11:22 AM
Here are screens from GoWII running at 480p and 1080p. Quite a nice improvement, actually. I'm looking forward to seeing how Ico and Shadow of the Colossus look now.

http://super.gameshot.net/ps3/zboard/zboard.php?id=ps3_snap&no=867

killmoms
May 24, 2007, 11:24 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing how Ico and Shadow of the Colossus look now.

If you find out, let me know. Those are the two games I'd most likely be playing on it.

Also, gloss is like my MRF soulmate... Haibane avatar, love of Fumito Ueda games, Space Ghost quote in the sig... :D ;)

Coded-Dude
May 24, 2007, 11:26 AM
^^Amazing

Yep, FFXII looked just as amazing when I put it in last night.
Although I didn't even have full screen on yet.

Going to try that tonight. ;)

gloss
May 24, 2007, 11:35 AM
If you find out, let me know. Those are the two games I'd most likely be playing on it.

Also, gloss is like my MRF soulmate... Haibane avatar, love of Fumito Ueda games, Space Ghost quote in the sig... :D ;)

Heheh. I'm flattered.

I'll let you know how they look tonight. I'm probably going to give it a shot as soon as I get home. I'm kind of psyched, now. I haven't had a chance to actually play through Ico yet (I'm only a couple of hours into it) so this might be the nudge that finally gets that snowball rolling.

gloss
May 24, 2007, 11:59 AM
Someone on the 1up boards posted these:

Before:
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/wifebeatingproductions2/100_3761.jpg

After:
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/wifebeatingproductions2/100_3760.jpg

Coded-Dude
May 24, 2007, 12:43 PM
Not sure why..........but;
These look much better than those^, I wonder if people are using SD tv's, or forgetting to adjust their settings.

huh.....the images aren't showing up.

thumbs maybe:
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5364/gowiioldad4.th.jpg (http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gowiioldad4.jpg)

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3264/gowiinewfk7.th.jpg (http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gowiinewfk7.jpg)

2nyRiggz
May 24, 2007, 02:14 PM
I was not expecting this but this is grand. DVD upscaling is excellent...not on par with blu-ray but is indeed good.

I played a little SoTC in 1080i today and all the jags and what have you are gone...PS2 games looks really good now on a HDTV. I almost took SoTC for a PS3 blu-ray game....its doing a really good job of scaling and smoothing.

Remember guys to change the settings for the PS2/PS1 games under settings.....smooth and wide will really improve your viewing experience.

Some people are having luck with itunes streaming...I haven't tried it yet but I will later and report.

Good Job Sony.....NOW all I need is that accessing XMB/messaging during games....come on Sony I know you are good for it:)

Bless

Coded-Dude
May 24, 2007, 02:33 PM
Yep, I went out and bought SoTC today, for that very reason.
I just started FFXII(7 hours into it), so now I am torn on which one to play first.. :confused:

Also, going to replay GOW and then pick-up GOWII (back to back) :D

LethalWolfe
May 24, 2007, 02:58 PM
Yes, but what if you have a load of personal media on your PS3. (music, pictures, etc., not found on PSN/CONNECT)
Now instead of having to transfer it to your PSP while at home, to go show your friends, you can download/stream it right form you PS3 HDD over the net.

I agree if you have a lot of multimedia content this is much easier than trying to "synch" your PS3 and PSP. iTunes used to be able to do this (share your music over the net instead of just a LAN) but the feature got pulled about two days (for obvious reasons).

Lethal

mkrishnan
May 24, 2007, 03:34 PM
thumbs maybe:

Is this an upscaled PS2 game, or a PS3 game at 1080? In your results, the "after" picture is dramatically better to my eyes!

e²Studios
May 24, 2007, 03:41 PM
Is this an upscaled PS2 game, or a PS3 game at 1080? In your results, the "after" picture is dramatically better to my eyes!

It is an upscaled PS2 game :) It looks awesome. The difference is awe inspiring.

I bought GT4 today, with the 4 or 5 PS2 games, and the 9 PS3 games i have it should be a fun Memorial day weekend :)

Ed

risc
May 24, 2007, 03:46 PM
You need a UPnP server on your mac to serve content to the PS 3...

TwonkyVision ($30/30 day free trial)
http://www.twonkyvision.de/ ...

According to the TwonkyVision website TwonkyVision runs the media server on my LaCie EDmini NAS but I can't get the PS3 to see it. Anyone here have any experience getting an EDmini working with the PS3?

Coded-Dude
May 24, 2007, 03:48 PM
That is God of War 2; a PS2 only game.
The better picture is using PS2 smoothing, as well as richer(and allegedly) deeper colors now(HDMI 1.3 features).
Both were unlocked with yesterday's 1.8 FW upgrade.

Note: a lot of new games had progressive scan already, some did not.
I would imagine the 480p games are gonna look better in 1080p(with the above features turned on), than some of the older games.
As I have been looking around today noticing that some of the comparisons are not as clear cut, as the differences in this one.

MacRumorUser
May 24, 2007, 04:20 PM
^ Yeah as soon as you enable widescreen and progressive on GOW2, it looks exactly the same as it ever did on your ps3, as it automatically makes the res 720x480p

The only way to see it upscaled on the ps3 is to keep 4:3 ratio and disable progressive option in the game menu.

Then you have to have black borders left and right, so it's all a big trade off in that regard.

e²Studios
May 24, 2007, 04:38 PM
^ Yeah as soon as you enable widescreen and progressive on GOW2, it looks exactly the same as it ever did on your ps3, as it automatically makes the res 720x480p

The only way to see it upscaled on the ps3 is to keep 4:3 ratio and disable progressive option in the game menu.

Then you have to have black borders left and right, so it's all a big trade off in that regard.

MRU,

Settings -> Game Settings -> PS2 Upscaler -> Select Full Screen

Also turn on smoothing which is the only other user settable option in that menu.

You can play upscaled PS2/1 games on the PS3 in full screen, you just have to tell it to do that in the settings. The default is normal 4:3

Ed

fiercetiger224
May 24, 2007, 05:18 PM
All I have to say to the PS/PS2 upscaling is....WOW. It really does the job, and does it very well. I'm very impressed. :eek:

It would be nice if Sony added in an option in the Home menu where you can select between 4:3 (Normal) or 16:9 (Full-Screen), so that you don't have to quit the game and go back to switch the setting. :cool:

gloss
May 24, 2007, 05:28 PM
I'm actually kind of depressed, because Ico looks like trash.

The media streaming doesn't like my library either. Boo.

fiercetiger224
May 24, 2007, 05:48 PM
I'm actually kind of depressed, because Ico looks like trash.

The media streaming doesn't like my library either. Boo.

You know, I actually think Ico was never rendered at 640 x 480. I remember when I played it when it first came out, and I never saw any "interlace-flicker", common whenever any video sources was played through an SDTV at 640 x 480. Whenever there wasn't interlace-flicker, it meant that the resolution was always at 320 x 240...So Ico was probably rendered at that resolution? :confused:

gloss
May 24, 2007, 05:54 PM
You know, I actually think Ico was never rendered at 640 x 480. I remember when I played it when it first came out, and I never saw any "interlace-flicker", common whenever any video sources was played through an SDTV at 640 x 480. Whenever there wasn't interlace-flicker, it meant that the resolution was always at 320 x 240...So Ico was probably rendered at that resolution? :confused:

Yeah, that may be so. The opening sections have all kinds of image problems. It's a shame.

AppleinJapan
May 24, 2007, 06:36 PM
So the problem is "Does streaming work with a mac ?"

slimp
May 24, 2007, 08:06 PM
So the problem is "Does streaming work with a mac ?"

there is an extended conversation on this topic going on here:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&thread.id=45342

gloss
May 25, 2007, 01:32 PM
Ugh, the incredible difficulty of getting functional streaming working on the PS3 is making me appreciate the effort that Apple put into making :apple: TV work so seamlessly.

The PS3's UPnP support is trash. The Cell is an unbelievably powerful processor when it comes to video transcoding. There's absolutely no reason it shouldn't be able to play anything I throw at it.

MacRumorUser
May 25, 2007, 01:34 PM
MRU,

Settings -> Game Settings -> PS2 Upscaler -> Select Full Screen

Also turn on smoothing which is the only other user settable option in that menu.

You can play upscaled PS2/1 games on the PS3 in full screen, you just have to tell it to do that in the settings. The default is normal 4:3

Ed

Ed your a genius ;) But you already knew that :)

Coded-Dude
May 25, 2007, 01:37 PM
No worse than the next guy(who is concerned with piracy, licensing, etc.)
Of course, one thing you can count on, is improved support! ;)
Give it time, it will get better......

gloss
May 25, 2007, 01:51 PM
What Sony needs to do is release a user-friendly media server program for Windows/Mac that will properly transcode (on the fly or otherwise) and supply the PS3 with compatible media. If nerds like me can't even figure out how to get the Media Hub capability working properly, it's a major flop. Come on, Sony, you've got powerful hardware, now give us the capability to play AAC (!), AVI (!!), etc. on it. There's just no excuse for such a half-assed implementation.

MacRumorUser
May 25, 2007, 02:01 PM
What Sony needs to do is release a user-friendly media server program for Windows/Mac

Sony have always been the pit's when it comes to macusers. To sony - they dont exist...... The only stylish crowd are the vaio boys. ;)
Dont expect to see Sony software for mac's anytime soon.

Coded-Dude
May 25, 2007, 02:13 PM
Yeah, if only it could be as robust as Media Connect. :p

Sony and Apple are starting to lean more towards a productive partnership, and I am curious to see where it will end.

gloss
May 25, 2007, 02:13 PM
Sony have always been the pit's when it comes to macusers. To sony - they dont exist...... The only stylish crowd are the vaio boys. ;)
Dont expect to see Sony software for mac's anytime soon.

Hell, in this case I'd be thrilled to see a working transcoder/server for the PC. I mean, seriously - I tried using WMP 11, but the PS3 doesn't want to read my video files as encoded, so I reencoded a couple as PS3-compatible MPEG4, and...WMP 11 refuses to add them into the Videos directory because they're not WMV or AVI, either of which the PS3 will read.

So, either the PS3 recognizes the file or WMP recognizes the file, but not both at once.

Home run, this one is.

MacRumorUser
May 25, 2007, 02:16 PM
Fingers crossed someone like Nullriver come up with the goods soon.

Coded-Dude
May 25, 2007, 02:23 PM
VLC (http://www.videolan.org/) maybe.......
http://www.videolan.org/images/documentation/global-diagram.jpg

gloss
May 25, 2007, 02:33 PM
VLC *snip*

Setting up VLC transcoding is the exact opposite of user friendly. I'm talking about something like the iTunes/:apple:TV relationship. Drag and drop files into the program, they're instantly available to the PS3 and stream without difficulty. The PS3 is roughly 309859082713098x more powerful than the :apple:TV in terms of hardware. It shouldn't be difficult.

risc
May 25, 2007, 03:44 PM
I didn't think the :apple: TV could handle multiple video formats (such as XviD, DivX)? If it does I'll order 1 today. If it doesn't the post above mine was pretty pointless. ;)

psychofreak
May 25, 2007, 03:48 PM
I didn't think the :apple: TV could handle multiple video formats (such as XviD, DivX)? If it does I'll order 1 today. If it doesn't the post above mine was pretty pointless. ;)

Not out of the box, but there are ways (http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/10/how-to-play-divx-and-xvid-on-your-apple-tv/) :)

gloss
May 25, 2007, 03:48 PM

It runs a stripped down OSX, so people have been able to hack into it (http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/10/how-to-play-divx-and-xvid-on-your-apple-tv/) and place the appropriate codecs in the system folder. Voila. Compatibility.

gloss
May 25, 2007, 03:49 PM
Not out of the box, but there are ways (http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/10/how-to-play-divx-and-xvid-on-your-apple-tv/) :)

Cheater! Exact same link, exact same time. ;)

risc
May 25, 2007, 03:55 PM
You didn't seriously just say using VLC to transcode wasn't user friendly and then suggest the :apple: TV (which sure you can mod to play other formats... but you need to take it apart with a screw driver, remove the HDD, connect HDD to a Mac, then use the OS X command line to edit and add files to the :apple: TV HDD, chuck the HDD back in the :apple: TV, put it back together, log on to it via SSH, use the OS X command line again to do stuff) was just drag and drop?

Seriously you've made my day!

I think I'll wait and see what comes out for the PS3. If that isn't what I want I'll just buy a Mac mini.

2nyRiggz
May 25, 2007, 04:41 PM
Lets give it time....I Know Nulldriver is looking into this as they should. The potential is there and in time it will flourish.

Anybody notice there are setting now to give you an even richer/smoother colors....This update is just full of it.

I'm going to wait and see what the guys at null have in store for us because right not eyeconnect/twonkyvision are a little shaky.

This kinda eliminates big PSP cards if you soley use your mem stick for movies/pics/music...don't know about if games will stream across the net.

Bless

gloss
May 25, 2007, 05:28 PM
You didn't seriously just say using VLC to transcode wasn't user friendly and then suggest the :apple: TV (which sure you can mod to play other formats... but you need to take it apart with a screw driver, remove the HDD, connect HDD to a Mac, then use the OS X command line to edit and add files to the :apple: TV HDD, chuck the HDD back in the :apple: TV, put it back together, log on to it via SSH, use the OS X command line again to do stuff) was just drag and drop?

Seriously you've made my day!

I think I'll wait and see what comes out for the PS3. If that isn't what I want I'll just buy a Mac mini.

I'm much more comfortable with hardware. ;P

But the idea is that the :apple:TV is far more efficient, as once you update the codecs it can read the files natively. The PS3, for some bizarre reason, requires that your PC/Mac transcode the video into MPEG2 in REAL TIME in order to be able to play, which a) slows the hell out of your PC and b) won't work very well unless your machine has a lot of processing power. Ideally, I want to just store all my music and video on my PC and have the PS3 access it, stream it, and decode it natively, as the updated :apple:TV would be able to. But it can't.

On the upside, Shadow of the Colossus remains one of the most amazing games ever.