Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Sweet! :D Just started playing FFXII, and it will look so much better scaled.
I can't wait! Now I can play some of those other games I've been holding off on as well.

(SoTC, GOW2, etc)

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I'm trying to figure out if they mean simple image scaling, like my SXRD does already, or that the console will actually play the games in high resolution.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm very curious to see what a PS1 or PS2 game looks like at 1080p with this. From my understanding, the effect of upscaling on DVDs isn't massive, but it is really nice. I guess it all depends (for the majority of people using fixed-pixel devices like a plasma or LCD TV) whether the scaler is able to do a nicer job smoothing out the 1080p output than the TV can do, since obviously all content is getting scaled to native anyway. The PS3 certainly ought to be able to do a better job than most TVs.

But as far as games go, some of the PC/Mac emulators have amazing enhanced scaling modes that make games look much better onscreen than they do on the original devices.

EDIT: Does this feature mean what I think it means:

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available.

Does this mean you can play PS3 games in a remote desktop type of environment on a PSP? :eek:

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
If PSP had dual-analog, SIXAXIS, as well as R2/L2 triggers.....then yes, yes you could :p

Basically this will allow you to access content on your PS3, from ANYWHERE in the world.
(as long as you have a PSP, and are near a WAP)
The ability to download & play PlayStation Classics, as well as listen to music, watch movies, or share pictures.
Hell you could even access your Eye3 and see whats going on in your room while your gone. :eek:

This was a confirmed feature a long time ago, and its about time they offered it

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This was a confirmed feature a long time ago, and its about time they offered it

Ahhh, I see now. If I had a PS3 and a PSP, I'm not sure if I'd bother with this or not. I guess being able to get all your purchased classic games is nice, although one would think Sony could just let you do that from the PSP to their servers if they really wanted.... ;)

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Yes, but what if you have a load of personal media on your PS3. (music, pictures, etc., not found on PSN/CONNECT)
Now instead of having to transfer it to your PSP while at home, to go show your friends, you can download/stream it right form you PS3 HDD over the net.

PSP will have PSN access very soon, that is also confirmed - this just makes your data accessible over the net. Sony's media already is(kind of).

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I'm trying to figure out if they mean simple image scaling, like my SXRD does already, or that the console will actually play the games in high resolution.

They haven't said yet and there is really no indication one way or the other, though my guess is upscaling, but either way it will look good.

Either way I'm excited about remote access to the PS3 HDD. With a 200gb HDD in there full of music and video you could access that anywhere with a PSP. That sounds like a sweet deal.

And the new camera for the PS3 is incredible which I'm sure will be able to be used with this feature.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
They haven't said yet and there is really no indication one way or the other, though my guess is upscaling, but either way it will look good.

Unless your TV's already got a good internal scaler, in which case it will look...identical.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Unless your TV's already got a good internal scaler, in which case it will look...identical.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Yeah, but usually it's better for the unit to do the scaling before it's passed along to the TV, because once the 480i/p signal is passed along to the TV, it's already lost quality, and then scaling it up to 1080p...Not a pretty sight...

Since the PS3 is going to be doing the scaling internally, it can bypass rendering at 480i/p and render directly to 1080p, so that it has psuedo-native 1080p... :D If that makes any sense.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
"Version 1.80 also allows PS3 users on a home network to stream media content (photos, videos, and music) stored on a DLNA-enabled device onto their PS3 system. DLNA is a system that enables digital devices such as personal computers, DVRs, and TVs to be connected to a network and share data with other connected devices, in this case a PS3 system. This new functionality reinforces the value of PS3 system as a home entertainment hub."

That is the part I am most interested in. Now I just need to find out what the hell a DLNA-enabled device is, and just hope to God my Macs are!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Finally, the stuff Sony promised shows up!

Guess I'm getting a PS3.

When the price goes down and I have a HDTV to warrant the streaming.

So, a couple years from now.

I still want to put Linux on a PS3, and I like the idea of a streaming video server, but my 60 GB iPod works fine for video storage at this point.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
In case anyone is wondering, it has been confirmed that the US AND Japanese consoles will also do PS1/PS2 upscaling to 1080p. There was much speculation that this would only apply to the European models because these consoles did not contain the Emotion Engine + Graphics Synthesizer chipsets. BUT, now that SCEA has confirmed that the update will include PS1/PS2 upscaling, everyone can be happy! :D

Source: IGN

Looks like with each month passing by, Sony is giving users what they promised! :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
At least Sony is releasing updates on a monthly basis, and not twice a year.

I hope to see the so-called leaked 2.0 features—particularly an RSS channel feature—come about soon also.

Oofie

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
Bay Area, CA
"Version 1.80 also allows PS3 users on a home network to stream media content (photos, videos, and music) stored on a DLNA-enabled device onto their PS3 system. DLNA is a system that enables digital devices such as personal computers, DVRs, and TVs to be connected to a network and share data with other connected devices, in this case a PS3 system. This new functionality reinforces the value of PS3 system as a home entertainment hub."

That is the part I am most interested in. Now I just need to find out what the hell a DLNA-enabled device is, and just hope to God my Macs are!

I have updated my PS3, but for the life of me, I couldnt share my photos and music with my PS3. I am guessing Macs aren't DLNA compatible?

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Right now, there are two classes of DLNA CERTIFIED™ devices: Digital Media Servers (DMS) and Digital Media Players (DMP). Player devices (DMP) can find and play or display the content that is shared on your network by server devices (DMS). Some examples of DMP products are TV monitors, stereo systems, home theaters, printers, personal digital assistants, multimedia mobile phones, wireless monitors and game consoles.

Server devices (DMS) can record and store media content, and share this on the network - where this is allowed by content protection rules. Some examples of DMS products are advanced set-top boxes, digital video recorders, PCs and laptops, stereo and home theaters with hard disk drives (for example, music servers), broadcast tuners, video and imaging capture devices such as cameras and camcorders, and multimedia mobile phones.

But the DLNA guidelines are very flexible. Some devices offer rich user interfaces and some do not. With some server devices you can also manage your media collection or manage other devices on the network. Some server devices can also be player devices: a laptop can share, but also play its content.
source

:( I don't see Apple on that list of companies.....

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
ive made the PS3 find my PC's no problem. It needed windows media player 11 but now im grabbing Video's, music and photo's off the network and from there, you can tell it to search by artist, genre and all sorts of jazz and you can copy them over from your network

I then tried iTunes and no go, not under shared or anything but my laptop does have a problem and I do only have iTunes 6.04 (i cant make the new updates work on this unit, probably needs a reformat) but I havent tried this with my other PC's that have the newest iTunes or my Mac because their on another network and not this.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I have updated my PS3, but for the life of me, I couldnt share my photos and music with my PS3. I am guessing Macs aren't DLNA compatible?

I don't think we needed that for our mac's? Couldn't you just enable windows file sharing.. I guess i'll find out soon enough.

Guess it doesn't work via windows file sharing >_<

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
You need a UPnP server on your mac to serve content to the PS 3. There are really only two, that I know of, available.

EyeConnect ($50/30 day free trial)
http://www.elgato.com

Configurable through a system preference pane.

TwonkyVision ($30/30 day free trial)
http://www.twonkyvision.de/

Configurable by a web browser.

By the way, if you have an AirPort Extreme (Snow/Graphite) Base Station it does not support UPnP. You can connect the two, but the PS 3 will continue to warn you that it has been disconnected from the media server (over and over again) when trying to access content. Not sure about the 802.11n AirPort Base Station.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
For those of us not currently at home, can anyone report on the quality improvement, if any, on PS1/PS2 games with the new firmware?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.