PDA

View Full Version : external hard drive primer

furcalchick
May 23, 2007, 04:10 PM
it looks like alot of people are having a bunch of questions about external hard drives, how to boot them and partitioning, myself included, as the process isn't simple for those wanting to make fresh os x installs, etc. can a page be made with that?

linuxito
Jul 16, 2007, 01:34 PM
Great idea!

I am using iPartition 1.5 and iDefrag 1.6 but not very satisfied with these tools. Some discussion from experienced users would be inded very useful.

Regards,
linuxito

wiseguy27
Jul 20, 2007, 12:24 PM
Could you be more specific about the questions (or provide links to the questions)? It may help people know what kind of information is required.

lipwak
Sep 9, 2007, 11:42 AM
Hi,

I have an external drive already and have set up an old G4 (AGP Graphics desktop) in Firewire Target mode so it acts like an external drive but I am getting a new external drive and have some questions about it.

I am getting a Western Digital WDG1U3200 My Book Essential Edition 320GB External Hard Drive. I will be using that with a 1.67 ghz 15" Powerbook DL. The info on the drive says it is Mac compatible; it needs OSX 10.3 +. I am using 10.4.10.

- Will it come with a version of OSX on it? 10.3 or 10.4? The website doesn't say.

- I could not install 10.4 on my other external drive, which was taken from an upgraded iMac, I am assuming a G3. My Powerbook is a G4. That may explain why I couldn't use the install discs that came with my Powerbook.

What are the limitations on what OS you can install on external drives?

- Assuming the external drive comes with a version of OSX, will it be bootable? Is there a way to make it bootable?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

John L

lamina
Sep 14, 2007, 08:15 PM
Hard drives don't come with operating systems installed on them. External drives are simply the drives you find in an everyday computer with a USB or FireWire interface.

The install disks that came with your PowerBook won't work on any other model computer. I believe (but I may be wrong) that there is a bios check when you boot to the disks to install the OS.

Check here (http://www.mymacblog.com/index.php/archive/installing-mac-os-x-on-an-external-drive/) for a guide on installing Mac OS on an external drive.

MikeTheC
Sep 18, 2007, 02:15 PM
In my experience, I have found that Apple's Disk Utility app is quite sufficient to handle a broad range of configuration and general setup tasks for most storage media.

As far as defragmentation is concerned, while it's one of those things that us long-timers all "used to do", it's become increasingly irrelevant with the advent of the substantially higher performance hard drives of the past 5-10 years, and the sheer capacity of the last 3-5 also helps to greatly diminish the amount of "meaningful" defragmentation you will typically experience.

Moreover, as capacity has gone up, so has the time it takes to do a defragmentation, in most cases so much so that it's typically faster to copy the data to another drive and reformat the first one, then copy the data back.

furcalchick
Sep 18, 2007, 03:01 PM
i would say these are the major ones that need to be covered in the article.

1. how to back up your files into an external and make it bootable
2. making a fresh install of os x on an external

and i'm not sure about this, but how about a starter's guide to cleaning up your hard drive.

safetyobc
Oct 30, 2007, 07:31 PM
If anyone can PLEASE help me, I have the following questions:

I bought a 500 GB external drive to use with Time Machine and to use as external storage. I want to partition the drive (I think) to use 1/2 for TM and the other 1/2 for storage.

How many partitions do I need to selelct? 1? 2? I want to use about 160 Gigs for TM and the rest for storage. What file system (or format) do I need to choose? I am in the disk utility and it offers "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" Is that what I need to use for TM and for my storage?

Also I plan to do a backup of my current Tiger system using SuperDuper. I would like to have a boot-able copy of Tiger on the external Drive. How would I do that? 3 partitions? How much space would be needed for that?

I am using this with a Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 15.4" 160GB if that will help any.

Thanks for any information you can offer

Tilpots
Dec 28, 2007, 09:14 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but has any progress been made on this type of external HDD guide? Almost 7k people have viewed this thread, so I guess it's a pretty popular issue. I've done a lot of searching on this topic lately and am finding only bits of information scattered about. With Leopard's Time Machine and the ever increasing needs of folks' backing up all their music, videos and what-not, this topic seems to be more and more relevant.

Some topics that could be covered:

1. Cleaning up current on-board HDD
2. Time Machine Prep
3. Time Machine (What really needs to be backed up)
4. Creating a bootable OS back-up
5. Booting from an external HDD
6. Partitions and the programs that create them
7. Choosing an external HDD
8. The differences between Mac OS extended, Journaled, FAT32, etc.
9. Different uses of external HDD's

I know a lot of this info exists here in MR and on the web, but I've never seen all this in one spot. Please let me know if I'm missing this place. Thanks so much for your help!

furcalchick
Jan 3, 2008, 11:34 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but has any progress been made on this type of external HDD guide? Almost 7k people have viewed this thread, so I guess it's a pretty popular issue. I've done a lot of searching on this topic lately and am finding only bits of information scattered about. With Leopard's Time Machine and the ever increasing needs of folks' backing up all their music, videos and what-not, this topic seems to be more and more relevant.

Some topics that could be covered:

1. Cleaning up current on-board HDD
2. Time Machine Prep
3. Time Machine (What really needs to be backed up)
4. Creating a bootable OS back-up
5. Booting from an external HDD
6. Partitions and the programs that create them
7. Choosing an external HDD
8. The differences between Mac OS extended, Journaled, FAT32, etc.
9. Different uses of external HDD's

I know a lot of this info exists here in MR and on the web, but I've never seen all this in one spot. Please let me know if I'm missing this place. Thanks so much for your help!

you're never too late for the fun, and i think this is a good outline for the article. i would add a few things though.

in the 4. section, i would mention usb and ipods as possible sources for bare bone os x as a bootable version. also needed here are apps that back up data, since not all of us have time machine. and talking about that, time machine should all be in one subsection. and in the 7. section can cover outlet vs. non outlet powered as well as the differences between firewire and usb. i'm really hoping someone gets started on a guide to this soon.

djaden
Jan 5, 2008, 03:17 AM
Greetings,
By the way I agree with the previous messages regarding the need for more discussions about using external hard drives.
I need some help figuring out a problem with my G4 with two hard drives...
I have a Power Mc G4
CPU speed is 933
L2 Cache (per CPU) is 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU) is 2 MB
Memory is 512 MB
OS version in both hard drives is OS X 10.3.9
First external drive is a 60G IBM
Second external drive is a 80G Maxtor

My question: How can I access information from a second drive without having to restart it while running the first drive?
Is it possible to have both drives controlled by third entity which can decide what drive to store and retrieve from?
Appreciate any responses
DJADEN

terriyaki
Jan 5, 2008, 04:02 PM
I have a couple WD 500GB SATA2 hard drives inside a OWC Mercury Elite Pro enclosure and was wondering if there was any software I could use to periodically check their health status?

G-love203
Jan 17, 2008, 10:48 AM
External Hard Drives are simply devices used to store or backup information. Do not over think them. If you are on a Mac (which you should be since this is MacRumors) it just pops up in your finder just like your ipod. You drag your information to it through your finder and depending on how much you want to spend on your External Hard Drive it will go pretty quickly or really fast, speed should not be a big problem though. Obviously they have to meet your system requirements but that shouldn't be an issue considering how many different types of externals they have out there. And no they do not come with operating systems on them, that's your and apples job to keep up with that not the makers of these external hard drives.

P.S. I spent $150 at the apple store and bought a 500 gig external, went back to my house and it worked like a dream no installation software or anything, so don't spend too much on it because it's not that big of a difference.

jemeinc
Feb 17, 2008, 01:44 AM
yeah, but do I need to install OS X on the external? and if I do, if I'm creating 3 partitions for 3 computers do I need to install OS x 3 times? I'm guessing yes- but I'm clueless with this stuff.. I admit that I am terrible at back ups and need some guidance...lol..

UltraNEO*
Feb 28, 2008, 01:19 AM
Hard drives don't come with operating systems installed on them. External drives are simply the drives you find in an everyday computer with a USB or FireWire interface.

The install disks that came with your PowerBook won't work on any other model computer. I believe (but I may be wrong) that there is a bios check when you boot to the disks to install the OS.

Check here (http://www.mymacblog.com/index.php/archive/installing-mac-os-x-on-an-external-drive/) for a guide on installing Mac OS on an external drive.

Sorry lamina, the part highlighted above is just misleading. The hard-drives that Apple install on our Macs will indeed work on any system, no matter if it's a PC or PS3. So long as the interface is the same, they will function - provided they're not damaged.

From what I can tell, Apple doesn't use any special firmware on their hard-drives nor are they specifically build HD's for Apple systems, they're simply supplied with a Apple logo on the drive and the serial number are supposedly logged on their DB.

IF that was true many people on those forums will be experiencing problems when we customise our systems. For me, I've upgraded my stock 120Gb drive to a larger one (250GB) within a week of purchasing and recently I upgraded the drive again (320GB).. And I can tell you my old stock drive works perfectly find on my PS3. :)

UltraNEO*
Feb 28, 2008, 01:29 AM
yeah, but do I need to install OS X on the external? and if I do, if I'm creating 3 partitions for 3 computers do I need to install OS x 3 times? I'm guessing yes- but I'm clueless with this stuff.. I admit that I am terrible at back ups and need some guidance...lol..

hiya jemeinc,

Hope this information will help you, and those like you.

Personally I would only install a OS on a external drive, IF i needed to boot of them. For example, your working on a MacBook and your one the road and the internal drive malfunctions and cease to boot.

Alternatively, you need to run a different version of the OS or an entirely different OS on a regular basis BUT don't have sufficient space on the primary drive (internal) - You can in theory set up windows to run on a external drive, however.. actually doing it takes some manual tweaking, best left for the enthusiasts. Apple's supplied BootCamp won't allow you to install Windows to a external drive.

If you purchase an external drive and your planing is to use it for additional storage/backup etc. Besure to check the packaging, if it's not specified as a MAC drive, you'll need to open OSX's Disk Utility and format/partition the drive... this will prep the drive for Apple's HFS+ disk format. That's it. The whole process take no more then a few mins.

Why? Cause most external drives are pre-formatted for Windows as FAT32. Although OSX can read and write to those formats, it's not recommended especially if your using it as a Mac partition - re-formatting the drive doesn't void the warranty in any way what-so-ever!

UltraNEO*
Feb 28, 2008, 01:46 AM
Greetings,
By the way I agree with the previous messages regarding the need for more discussions about using external hard drives.
I need some help figuring out a problem with my G4 with two hard drives...
I have a Power Mc G4
CPU speed is 933
L2 Cache (per CPU) is 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU) is 2 MB
Memory is 512 MB
OS version in both hard drives is OS X 10.3.9
First external drive is a 60G IBM
Second external drive is a 80G Maxtor

My question: How can I access information from a second drive without having to restart it while running the first drive?
Is it possible to have both drives controlled by third entity which can decide what drive to store and retrieve from?
Appreciate any responses
DJADEN

Hi DJaden,

I believe, even in Tiger and Panther (for the benefit of others) you should be able to mount and unmount a drive. Occasionally, a drive won't show on the desktop because it's not mounted.

To mount a drive is just a matter of launching Disk Utility (located in Root / Applications / Utilities). Look down the left column and highlight the greyed out drive and clicking the mount button in the tool bar, as shown below. Give it a try...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3238/2297170959_a572e10385_o.jpg

furcalchick
Jun 17, 2008, 12:33 AM
i'm surprised that over a year has passed since i posed the question and there is no sort of backup/external hard drive primer up, especially with time machine with 10.5. so here's what would be on my ideal primer:

-why backing up is important
-what type of hard drives and mountings are needed to back up hard drives
-applications to back up with
-time machine and time capsule

in each section, there will be an explanation of how to prep a backup and making a boot-able copy of osx. i thought by now someone would have done something...

CanadaRAM
Jun 17, 2008, 01:54 AM
I have added a short section on Backups to the Hard Drives Guide (http://guides.macrumors.com/Hard_Drive) -- there's already a description of External drives there.

If you're interested in seeing more in the Guides, why not start the ball rolling and write something up yourself?
The Guides are a collaborative effort, there aren't any MacRumors staff writers maintaining them.

furcalchick
Jun 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
I have added a short section on Backups to the Hard Drives Guide (http://guides.macrumors.com/Hard_Drive) -- there's already a description of External drives there.

If you're interested in seeing more in the Guides, why not start the ball rolling and write something up yourself?
The Guides are a collaborative effort, there aren't any MacRumors staff writers maintaining them.

that was exactly what i was looking for. thanks. i'll add more if i see fit later on, but this should do.

Mechcozmo
Jun 18, 2008, 02:17 PM
I've done some work. Can people chat a bit on the "Discussion" page?

Wiggs49
Dec 14, 2008, 09:49 PM
I just bought a G4 Mac Powerbook and the External Hard Drive I was using on to store my music from my PC isn't working on my mac. I went through all the troubleshooting steps and nothing is working. I can't even get it to show up anywhere on my mac. Not in the finder and not in disk utilities. I know it's working though b/c when I plug it into the USB port the light on the hard drive blinks red. I know for sure nothing is wrong with the hard drive itself. If someone could help me out with this I would really be grateful.

Merakko
Dec 19, 2008, 01:32 PM
I just bought a G4 Mac Powerbook and the External Hard Drive I was using on to store my music from my PC isn't working on my mac. I went through all the troubleshooting steps and nothing is working. I can't even get it to show up anywhere on my mac. Not in the finder and not in disk utilities. I know it's working though b/c when I plug it into the USB port the light on the hard drive blinks red. I know for sure nothing is wrong with the hard drive itself. If someone could help me out with this I would really be grateful.

if u were using that hdd with windows, it's formatted as NTFS, normally ntfs partitions on mac are not writeable, just readable. I'm pretty sure u have to back up ur hard drive and format it as macos hfs+ journaled
then u'll be able to use it properly with ur mac.
do that using disk utility.
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9742/immagine4wx9.png

Wiggs49
Dec 21, 2008, 02:18 AM
The hard drive doesn't even show up in disk Utilities is the problem. And I know there is nothing wrong with the hard drive or the USB port.

fidelio69
Jan 9, 2009, 11:25 PM
YO!!
can some one help me with my problem?
my second external hard drive went (blinking) not working after did a
time machine backup. I tried USB ,FireWire noting is working:mad:
HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

ytriem
Jul 18, 2009, 07:49 AM
The hard drive doesn't even show up in disk Utilities is the problem. And I know there is nothing wrong with the hard drive or the USB port.

I have a related problem. I have an iMac 17", admittedly 5 years old but I love it and don't want it to go into a landfill. I bought a Western Edition My Book, Essential Edition, recommended by the store (Best Buy). It doesn't show up on the desktop. It does show up in Disk Utilities but refuses to be partitioned--"input/output error". Another salesman at Best Buy said, well, it won't work with a machine that old. You have to buy a special, more expensive hard drive. I have less confidence in the store than i had in the beginning. Any suggestions?

Yvonne (7-18-2009)

Cave Man
Jul 18, 2009, 03:51 PM
Best Buy is yanking your chain - it's probably NTFS. When you connect the drive, open Disk Utility. When the drive shows up, click on it (and not the partition that is indented and below). The Partition tab should become available; click on it and choose 1 partition from the pull down, then click on the Option button. If your iMac is G4 or G5, then choose Apple Partition Map. If it's an Intel iMac, then choose GUID. After that, initialize the drive with HFS+ with journaling (Mac OS X Extended).

ytriem
Jul 20, 2009, 07:14 AM
Best Buy is yanking your chain - it's probably NTFS. When you connect the drive, open Disk Utility. When the drive shows up, click on it (and not the partition that is indented and below). The Partition tab should become available; click on it and choose 1 partition from the pull down, then click on the Option button. If your iMac is G4 or G5, then choose Apple Partition Map. If it's an Intel iMac, then choose GUID. After that, initialize the drive with HFS+ with journaling (Mac OS X Extended).

Thanks, I'll give it a try before I return it forever.

rsmerin
Oct 9, 2009, 02:30 PM
I have just bought an external hard drive to back up my mac (tiger) but i have tried 2 of the programs from the internet; 1)superduper! but my hard drive is greyed out an a destination option and 2) carbon cloner - says that my harddrive is not HFS+ formatted.

I don't really know that much about macs, can anyone help me out?

Cave Man
Oct 9, 2009, 02:38 PM
You have to use Disk Utility on your Mac to initialize the new drive as HFS+ (OS X Extended). In DU, be sure to click on the drive and not the partition that is indented and below the drive (which is probably a NTFS volume). Once you do that the Partition tab becomes available where you choose 1 volume, Mac HFS+ and under Options set to GUID partition table if you have an Intel Mac; otherwise Apple Partition Map for a PPC Mac.

rabobi
Oct 16, 2009, 11:43 AM
I've been trying to find recommendations for a FireWire 800 external hard drive (500G+ capacity) but seems like the only options are Seagate and some Lacie drives...are there any other recommendations?

I've read a number of warnings against the Western Digital drives that they end up failing (plus is seems they only have USB connections).

Any advice?

Cave Man
Oct 16, 2009, 01:32 PM
I never buy canned drives because if they fail you cannot disassemble them without voiding the warranty. Oftentimes, it's the controller that fails and not the drive. I only buy Rosewill, MacAlly or OWC enclosures and put Samsung or Seagate drives in them.

durhamj
Oct 17, 2009, 03:11 PM
I've been trying to find recommendations for a FireWire 800 external hard drive (500G+ capacity) but seems like the only options are Seagate and some Lacie drives...are there any other recommendations?

I've read a number of warnings against the Western Digital drives that they end up failing (plus is seems they only have USB connections).

Any advice?

I 2nd the recommendation for Rosewill or OWC enclosures... and have had good luck with WD and Seagate harddrives.

stevedixon
Oct 18, 2009, 02:43 PM
i've got 60gig of tunes on an ext hdd, that simplifymedia can't/won't recognise, could it be because it's not guid partitioned? it's plugged into an intel mac mini.
cheers
steve

TheZA
Nov 17, 2009, 05:16 PM
I have just bought an external hard drive to back up my mac (tiger) but i have tried 2 of the programs from the internet; 1)superduper! but my hard drive is greyed out an a destination option and 2) carbon cloner - says that my harddrive is not HFS+ formatted.

I don't really know that much about macs, can anyone help me out?

Once you get your drive formatted properly using Disk Utility, as someone later described, I have found that making a clone is the easiest way of making a bootable external version of OSX. I've used both CCC and Superduper! and can't really recommend one over the other. Until I recently deleted it, finally, I had a Tiger clone and could boot into Tiger. Now I have a clone of Leopard. Leopard runs on my iMac, but I have a fairly new Macbook with Snow Leopard. I'm going to connect the external to my Macbook and see if by booting into Leopard can correct the one lingering apparent bug I'm experiencing with SL - the fact that my Macbook won't recognize my HDTV when connected via HDMI. After Christmas, when I should have an additional external HD, I'm going to clone SL.

TheZA
Nov 17, 2009, 05:20 PM
As for external recommendations - I've been really happy with the LaCie D2 for firewire and USB, and WD elements and passport drives for USB. The LaCie is a little bit more pricey, but that thing has been rock solid and fast. I've been eyeing the Iomega eGo portable with USB and firewire for use with my Macbook if anyone has experience with it I would be interested.

MikeSantor
Nov 17, 2009, 10:03 PM
I've been eyeing the Iomega eGo portable with USB and firewire for use with my Macbook if anyone has experience with it I would be interested.

I have been looking into the eGO for about 6 months now. Too be honest I cant find a bad review about it. Every respectable place (like Cnet) that reviews it says its great.

So I got a new MBP and ordered an 80G intel SSD (because I cant afford anything bigger.) I decided to put all my programs, which is only about 30 gigs on the SSD and buy a good external (eGo) to put all my music and videos on.

The only problem I was having is what has been mentioned here a few times. If something happens to the drivers you have to rip the thing open and rig it up to get your info off of it. So after 6 months of contomplating the eGo, I decided to go with this setup.

OWC external case.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MOTG800U2/

WD Black 7200 RPM Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280

I think im going this route because i have 3 other smaller drives I could swap in and out of this case.

Just figured I would give my 2 cents because I am/ was in the same boat as you. The eGo is still a great choice I think. But this route gives you the option of hot swapping which I like.

darrin649
Dec 8, 2009, 02:07 AM
Let me first say say that I'm a total noob when it comes to external hard drives. Never had to run one before as first time with a laptop with so little space.

I bought a 1 TB external drive for my Macbook Air as, duh, the internal HD has little space.

It is currently running Time Machine Backups to save my old stuff, which is good.

However, I'm getting a message that my MacOSX Startup disk is running very low on space.

There's loads of empty space on the external drive. Is there a way I can set it up so that it actually works as an internal drive and therefore new things are automatically saved to the external drive instead of the internal, as it's clearly running out of space, and not just in Time Machine Backups?

Or could you please explain, (in detail please... as I'm a noob) the best way to clean up my startup disk, or partition the external drive to move all the extra start up disk things there?

I'm sorry if this sounds ridiculous. As I said, I'm a total noob at this, please be patient. If anyone can give me some help with this it would be sincerely appreciated...and please, sorry, explain in terms as if I'm totally clueless. As in this case, I am. My apologies.

Kind Regards,

Darrin

Cave Man
Dec 8, 2009, 08:33 AM
The message about your startup disk means you probably only have a few hundred (or less) megabytes left. That message has nothing to do with your external drive. What you need to do is copy files from your internal drive to your external drive, then delete those same files from your internal drive (i.e., move to trash, then empty the trash).

You can use the external drive as your boot drive, but that negates the value of a laptop and USB2 is painfully slow for a boot drive.

rmshanks
Dec 12, 2009, 02:22 PM
Something in the back of my head is thinking we can only boot externally from fireware drives. I can not find that mentioned. Maybe this is Old school 10.3 Panther days?

Or old hardware?

On external enclosures: how about $7 http://www.shop4tech.com/item8570.html. It is USB only but hey $7

I see mentions of
OWC external case.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MOTG800U2/ but that is $63
Undoubtedly nice and Fireware but $63?

Cave Man
Dec 12, 2009, 03:12 PM
All Intel-based Macs can boot from USB hard drives. The Power PC Macs could not (without some system mods).

mysmin
Dec 20, 2009, 08:43 AM
Hi, I'm new here so bear with me if I don't follow proper procedure. i hope this is the appropriate thread for this issue.

I have a Power Book G4 800 MHz running OS x 10.3.9.
I replaced the original 40GB Hard Drive with an 80GB hard drive and
had the old one converted into an external HD. I want to be able
to boot up from the external drive, so using desk utility, I restored
from the Hard Drive to the back up Hard Drive.
I have it connected using fire wire. It appears to be
bootable and is available in the start-up disc preference pane, but when
I opt to reboot from it, although the Apple appears and the wheel spins
it never opens. I am posting the info I get about each drive in disk utility's
info pane, hoping someone more knowledgeable than I can figure out what's wrong. Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm stuck.
here goes:

Name : HD
Type : Volume
Disk Identifier : disk0s10
Mount Point : /
File System : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Connection Bus : ATA
IO Content : Apple_HFS
Device Tree : mac-io/ata-4@1f000/@0:10
Writable : Yes
Capacity : 74.4 GB (79,891,202,048 Bytes)
Free Space : 41.0 GB (43,998,220,288 Bytes)
Used : 33.4 GB (35,885,690,880 Bytes)
Number of Files : 200,860
Number of Folders : 49,452
Permissions Enabled : Yes
Can Turn Permissions Off : Yes
Can Repair Permissions : Yes
Can Be Verified : Yes
Can Be Repaired : Yes
Can Be Formatted : Yes
Bootable : Yes
Supports Journaling : Yes
Journaled : Yes
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 10

Name : HD_backup
Type : Volume
Disk Identifier : disk2s5
Mount Point : /Volumes/HD_backup
File System : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Connection Bus : FireWire
IO Content : Apple_HFS
Device Tree : fw/node@1d202e005020a/sbp-2@c000/@0:5
Capacity : 37.3 GB (40,007,283,712 Bytes)
Free Space : 3.8 GB (4,079,366,144 Bytes)
Used : 33.5 GB (35,924,832,256 Bytes)
Number of Files : 200,818
Number of Folders : 49,441
Permissions Enabled : Yes
Can Turn Permissions Off : Yes
Can Repair Permissions : Yes
Can Be Verified : Yes
Can Be Repaired : Yes
Can Be Formatted : Yes
Bootable : Yes
Supports Journaling : Yes
Journaled : Yes
Disk Number : 2
Partition Number : 5

mysmin
Dec 20, 2009, 08:57 AM
I'm trying to get subscribed to this thread. It appears that my first post didn't accomplish that so I am posting again to activate the option.

Cave Man
Dec 20, 2009, 09:03 AM
You might try to repair permissions or repair disk using Disk Utility on the external drive, but it sounds like something is compromised about the disk.

mysmin
Dec 20, 2009, 09:06 AM
You have to use Disk Utility on your Mac to initialize the new drive as HFS+ (OS X Extended). In DU, be sure to click on the drive and not the partition that is indented and below the drive (which is probably a NTFS volume). Once you do that the Partition tab becomes available where you choose 1 volume, Mac HFS+ and under Options set to GUID partition table if you have an Intel Mac; otherwise Apple Partition Map for a PPC Mac.

Holy cow, this might be the reason I have a problem, because I copied the indented partition.
I will try it this way.

mysmin
Dec 20, 2009, 09:08 AM
You might try to repair permissions or repair disk using Disk Utility on the external drive, but it sounds like something is compromised about the disk.

How funny you were responding just when I was reading that older post of yours. I've done repair permissions and it took forever, but now I will try
to re-restore according to your instructions.

UPDATE: I cannot restore using your instructions. Disk Utility
won't allow me to drag the icon that you said to use to the source or destination
box. I can only use the indented icons. I don't think the disc is compromised.
It was my old internal hardrive and it does boot up as far as the apple appears and the wheel spins....how long should I let the wheel spin. Normally it spins for about 10 to 15 seconds for the internal HD. I've let the external drive spin for 10 minutes with no sign of opening.

ooops, please forgive me for misunderstanding your instructions. I just re-read and realized you were referring to preparing the external HD for restoring....I am
working on that now and will post back about results. thanks

mysmin
Dec 20, 2009, 10:48 AM
UPDATE on above situation:
No luck at all.
I repaired permissions on all the drives and it still didn't open past the apple and 7 minutes of the spinning wheel. I didn't to the partitioning as it appears to be okay in that respect.
I am posting the info from DiskUtility regarding the hard drives.
Maybe there's a clue in there....anyone?

internal hard drive:
Name : Hitachi HTS541680J9AT00
Type : Disk

Disk Identifier : disk0
Media Name : Hitachi HTS541680J9AT00 Media
Media Type : Generic
Connection Bus : ATA
Connection ID : Device 0
IO Content : Apple_partition_scheme
Device Tree : mac-io/ata-4@1f000/@0:0
Ejectable : No
Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : Yes
Total Capacity : 74.5 GB (80,026,361,856 Bytes)
S.M.A.R.T. status : Verified
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 0

external harddrive:
Name : Other World Computing
Type : Disk

Disk Identifier : disk1
Media Name : IBM-IC25 N040ATCS04-0 Media
Media Type : Generic
Connection Bus : FireWire
Connection ID : 512384766902794
IO Content : Apple_partition_scheme
Device Tree : fw/node@1d202e005020a/sbp-2@c000/@0:0
Ejectable : No
Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : Yes
Total Capacity : 37.3 GB (40,007,761,920 Bytes)
Disk Number : 1
Partition Number : 0

flaneur
Dec 21, 2009, 02:17 PM
Certainly a n00b question, but how easy is it to make up your own external HDD from a case and a drive? I have negligible DIY skills but I like the ideea of having something flexible.

Woulkd it involve difficult scary stuff like (shudder) soldering?

mysmin
Dec 21, 2009, 02:34 PM
Certainly a n00b question, but how easy is it to make up your own external HDD from a case and a drive? I have negligible DIY skills but I like the ideea of having something flexible.

You just buy the case. They are not that expensive and they usually have a number of different cable outlet options too. USB, Firewire etc.
I think you can find them for $20 to $30.
BTW, I solved my problem opening the external hard drive. Evidently I had re-moved some files, or renamed them, can't even remember which now, and that is an absolute never do when you are making a boot up disk.
I re-copied my hard drive to the external one using the wonderful Disk Utility Restore, and it worked like a charm...oh yeah, also you must remember to enable permissions.

MikeSantor
Dec 21, 2009, 02:37 PM

I agree with mysmin, why the hell make one when you can buy one with a 5 star rating from new egg for 10 bucks?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182145

mysmin
Dec 21, 2009, 02:41 PM
Also, I wanted to share this site with everyone...it helped me tremendously figuring out what was wrong.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1411?viewlocale=en_US

rmshanks
Dec 25, 2009, 10:13 PM
I agree with mysmin, why the hell make one when you can buy one with a 5 star rating from new egg for 10 bucks?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182145

Check out shop4tech.com, I got a 2.5 usb enclosure for $7, prompt free shipping,

stillwatergal
Jan 10, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hi,
I have still another EHD/TM question.
I have a Mac Pro OS 10.5.8 with 2 internal drives and a large EHD that I was using solely for Time Machine Back Up. After a recent conversation with tech support at Apple, I've decided that I should have still one more full copy of stuff that is critical to me--my original photographs. I currently only have the backup copy on TM.
So, I want to take my large LaCie EHD and partition it. I want to store things as follows:
1. HD #1-primary HD containing all data except original photos
2. HD #2-HD that contains nothing but original photos
3. EHD (LaCie):
a. Partition #1: Second copy of original photos
b. Partition #2: Time Machine back up of HD #1 and HD #2.

It seems as if it is easy enough to do the partition but I'm wondering if there is a way to get my original photos to go into both HD #2 and Partition #1 of the EHD at the same time. If not, I'm wondering how I can set this up so that I don't have to remember to copy the photos from HD #2 to the EHD. Do I have to use another back up program? If so, any recommendations? Will using another program mess up Time Machine? What am I not thinking about?
Hope this is clear :-)
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Stephanie

flmacuser
Feb 17, 2010, 11:22 AM
Hi , I'm new to the forum and to macs, and have a question about using multiple external hard drives. I have an 08 20" Imac with a 320 gig hdd running os10.5.8. I would like to use an external harddrive for movies and movie making and also one for photo storage. Can I install my retail disk Leopard on a couple of external drives? And if so, how do I boot just to that drive for movie or photo processing?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Alan

rmshanks
Feb 17, 2010, 06:37 PM
Press and hold the Option Key while booting will give you the choice of which drive from which to boot.

Not sure about the multiple OS load, but think you are OK.

ajriggy
Feb 20, 2010, 10:42 AM
Hi I hope this is the right place to post this i had a search around and thought this was the most relevant.

Basically I am wondering if it is possible to transfer files from my old HP laptop's HD to my Mac?
Most of the files I want to transfer are old itunes mp3's that weren't on my ipod when my HP laptop died and some uni essays and stuff in word format.
I'm wondering if i take the hard-drive and put it in an external enclosure will I be able to do this fairly easily?
The Hard-drive I was told recently is still probably fine but that the reason my HP died was the motherboard or something.

Anyway is what i am suggesting possible? It would be really useful to get back my old mp3's and word documents and then i could wipe the HD and make it my dedicated back-up for the mac.

Any help or information is much appreciated. Thanks :)

balamw
Feb 23, 2010, 08:29 AM
Anyway is what i am suggesting possible? It would be really useful to get back my old mp3's and word documents and then i could wipe the HD and make it my dedicated back-up for the mac.

Sure! This is standard operating procedure for me. I have lots of old hard drives from old systems (as last-resort backups) and they can all be read on my Macs.

The only thing you need to do is figure out if the old drive is PATA or SATA and get the right enclosure. Install the drive and you're off to the races. Start your own thread if you run into any specific issues.

B

Jrskim7
Aug 17, 2010, 07:56 AM
Hi!

I have a Iomega 500GB Firewire/USB and its isnīt beeng used for anything. My music library is about 65 to 70 GBīs of music and Iīm looking for the best way to store my music.
I donīt want to use my internal 500GB too much for music - so what would be the best storage option?? Ideally I would like to have it on the hard-drive and access it directly through Itunes - is that possible and how?? Or should i just back it up??

I would appreciate any contributions, thanks.

Jrskim7.

Tilpots
Oct 12, 2010, 09:57 AM
Hi!

I have a Iomega 500GB Firewire/USB and its isnīt beeng used for anything. My music library is about 65 to 70 GBīs of music and Iīm looking for the best way to store my music.
I donīt want to use my internal 500GB too much for music - so what would be the best storage option?? Ideally I would like to have it on the hard-drive and access it directly through Itunes - is that possible and how?? Or should i just back it up??

I would appreciate any contributions, thanks.

Jrskim7.

I would suggest you keep the iTunes library on your internal HDD for now and use the Iomega as a Time Machine Backup for your internal drive. When you are about to completely fill your internal, it'll be time to use the Iomega for external storage, but then you'd best get yet another HDD, probably a 1TB, to use as a Time Machine Backup for both the internal and Iomega.

rleepremier
Nov 27, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hi i have a 2tb external hdd connected by usb to my 21.5 imac. i would like to be able to access the files on the external hdd wirelessly with my macbook pro. both computers are on the same router. what do i need to do to be able to download and upload files onto this external hdd from my macbook pro?

Hellhammer
Nov 28, 2010, 04:37 AM
Hi i have a 2tb external hdd connected by usb to my 21.5 imac. i would like to be able to access the files on the external hdd wirelessly with my macbook pro. both computers are on the same router. what do i need to do to be able to download and upload files onto this external hdd from my macbook pro?

System Preferences > Sharing > Enable "File sharing" > Add you external HD to the list of shared folders

Chewbaca
Sep 12, 2011, 10:37 AM
Most of the hard drives I've bought come with pretty conclusive guides which have had everything I need. Even the Iomega which had some strange button thing to get it to dual boot.

Guess it depends on the brand though, others might be different.