Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stillwatergal

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
external hard drive and Time Machine question

Hi,
I have still another EHD/TM question.
I have a Mac Pro OS 10.5.8 with 2 internal drives and a large EHD that I was using solely for Time Machine Back Up. After a recent conversation with tech support at Apple, I've decided that I should have still one more full copy of stuff that is critical to me--my original photographs. I currently only have the backup copy on TM.
So, I want to take my large LaCie EHD and partition it. I want to store things as follows:
1. HD #1-primary HD containing all data except original photos
2. HD #2-HD that contains nothing but original photos
3. EHD (LaCie):
a. Partition #1: Second copy of original photos
b. Partition #2: Time Machine back up of HD #1 and HD #2.

It seems as if it is easy enough to do the partition but I'm wondering if there is a way to get my original photos to go into both HD #2 and Partition #1 of the EHD at the same time. If not, I'm wondering how I can set this up so that I don't have to remember to copy the photos from HD #2 to the EHD. Do I have to use another back up program? If so, any recommendations? Will using another program mess up Time Machine? What am I not thinking about?
Hope this is clear :)
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Stephanie

flmacuser

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
General question about ext hdd

Hi , I'm new to the forum and to macs, and have a question about using multiple external hard drives. I have an 08 20" Imac with a 320 gig hdd running os10.5.8. I would like to use an external harddrive for movies and movie making and also one for photo storage. Can I install my retail disk Leopard on a couple of external drives? And if so, how do I boot just to that drive for movie or photo processing?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Alan

rmshanks

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
Option boot

Press and hold the Option Key while booting will give you the choice of which drive from which to boot.

Not sure about the multiple OS load, but think you are OK.

ajriggy

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
transferring files from an old pc laptop HD to a mbp?

Hi I hope this is the right place to post this i had a search around and thought this was the most relevant.

Basically I am wondering if it is possible to transfer files from my old HP laptop's HD to my Mac?
Most of the files I want to transfer are old itunes mp3's that weren't on my ipod when my HP laptop died and some uni essays and stuff in word format.
I'm wondering if i take the hard-drive and put it in an external enclosure will I be able to do this fairly easily?
The Hard-drive I was told recently is still probably fine but that the reason my HP died was the motherboard or something.

Anyway is what i am suggesting possible? It would be really useful to get back my old mp3's and word documents and then i could wipe the HD and make it my dedicated back-up for the mac.

Any help or information is much appreciated. Thanks :)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Anyway is what i am suggesting possible? It would be really useful to get back my old mp3's and word documents and then i could wipe the HD and make it my dedicated back-up for the mac.

Sure! This is standard operating procedure for me. I have lots of old hard drives from old systems (as last-resort backups) and they can all be read on my Macs.

The only thing you need to do is figure out if the old drive is PATA or SATA and get the right enclosure. Install the drive and you're off to the races. Start your own thread if you run into any specific issues.

B

Jrskim7

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
How to deal with a Big Music Library???

Hi!

I have a Iomega 500GB Firewire/USB and its isn´t beeng used for anything. My music library is about 65 to 70 GB´s of music and I´m looking for the best way to store my music.
I don´t want to use my internal 500GB too much for music - so what would be the best storage option?? Ideally I would like to have it on the hard-drive and access it directly through Itunes - is that possible and how?? Or should i just back it up??

I would appreciate any contributions, thanks.

Jrskim7.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Hi!

I have a Iomega 500GB Firewire/USB and its isn´t beeng used for anything. My music library is about 65 to 70 GB´s of music and I´m looking for the best way to store my music.
I don´t want to use my internal 500GB too much for music - so what would be the best storage option?? Ideally I would like to have it on the hard-drive and access it directly through Itunes - is that possible and how?? Or should i just back it up??

I would appreciate any contributions, thanks.

Jrskim7.

I would suggest you keep the iTunes library on your internal HDD for now and use the Iomega as a Time Machine Backup for your internal drive. When you are about to completely fill your internal, it'll be time to use the Iomega for external storage, but then you'd best get yet another HDD, probably a 1TB, to use as a Time Machine Backup for both the internal and Iomega.

rleepremier

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Hi i have a 2tb external hdd connected by usb to my 21.5 imac. i would like to be able to access the files on the external hdd wirelessly with my macbook pro. both computers are on the same router. what do i need to do to be able to download and upload files onto this external hdd from my macbook pro?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hi i have a 2tb external hdd connected by usb to my 21.5 imac. i would like to be able to access the files on the external hdd wirelessly with my macbook pro. both computers are on the same router. what do i need to do to be able to download and upload files onto this external hdd from my macbook pro?

System Preferences > Sharing > Enable "File sharing" > Add you external HD to the list of shared folders

Chewbaca

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
Most of the hard drives I've bought come with pretty conclusive guides which have had everything I need. Even the Iomega which had some strange button thing to get it to dual boot.

Guess it depends on the brand though, others might be different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.