PDA

View Full Version : Diablo 2

mistashizzle
May 24, 2007, 02:26 PM
Are there special install CDs for Diablo 2, the CDs I have now say mac, but I do not see where to install.

PlaceofDis
May 24, 2007, 02:31 PM
there is an OS X installer that you can download from Blizzard's site, let me see if i can find it...

edit: here. (http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=mdt0387p#OSXNative)

mistashizzle
May 24, 2007, 02:39 PM
<3

mistashizzle
May 24, 2007, 03:12 PM
Ok, I got it installed, but when I get it running the picture is completely screwed up.

PlaceofDis
May 24, 2007, 03:27 PM
Ok, I got it installed, but when I get it running the picture is completely screwed up.

when you launch it, there should be an option for Open GL and Software rendering, choose software.

mistashizzle
May 24, 2007, 03:36 PM
Awesome, got that to work.

Now I'm unable to connect to Battle.net though, any ideas?

PlaceofDis
May 24, 2007, 03:37 PM
Awesome, got that to work.

Now I'm unable to connect to Battle.net though, any ideas?

now that i don't know about. i haven't used Battle.net since the game came out.
sorry. hopefully someone else might have an idea though.

mistashizzle
May 24, 2007, 03:38 PM
I take that back, it is just US-East that I can't connect to. Is the server down or might it be my location (US-East [PA])

Lincoln 6 Echo
Jun 4, 2007, 09:19 AM
I take that back, it is just US-East that I can't connect to. Is the server down or might it be my location (US-East [PA])

After two years Diablo II has lured me back! I just reinstalled D2 and LOD using the OSX/Carbon Installer this weekend.

I also decided to try Battle.net for the first time! I conSadly, when I try to connect to USEast it doesn't connect. I have no firewall and no router. Also when I look at the list of servers I only see USEast... does anyone know what the problem may be and how I can connect?

:confused:

Kermit the frog
Jun 4, 2007, 04:22 PM
Is there anyway to make Diablo II to work with Intel macs?

PlaceofDis
Jun 4, 2007, 04:28 PM
Is there anyway to make Diablo II to work with Intel macs?

it works fine

Eric5h5
Jun 4, 2007, 05:55 PM
it works fine

As long as you don't try to use hardware rendering in full-screen mode.

--Eric

Lincoln 6 Echo
Jun 5, 2007, 08:32 AM
I also decided to try Battle.net for the first time! Sadly, when I try to connect to USEast it doesn't connect. I have no firewall and no router. Also when I look at the list of servers I only see USEast... does anyone know what the problem may be and how I can connect?

^ Anyone?

xNiebuhr
Jul 11, 2008, 11:52 AM
when i put in the disk "CD 1 'INSTALL DISK" and click the icon that pops up on the Desktop, i click "Diablo 2 Installer" it says "You cannot open the program "Diablo 2 Installer" because 'Classic' no longer exists"

What do i do ? -.-

Thanks.

PlaceofDis
Jul 11, 2008, 11:55 AM
when i put in the disk "CD 1 'INSTALL DISK" and click the icon that pops up on the Desktop, i click "Diablo 2 Installer" it says "You cannot open the program "Diablo 2 Installer" because 'Classic' no longer exists"

What do i do ? -.-

Thanks.

you need the OS X installer, it should still be linked in post #2. ;)

rbarris
Jul 11, 2008, 11:05 PM
As long as you don't try to use hardware rendering in full-screen mode.

--Eric

This was true for a long time, but has been resolved in Patch 1.12 which shipped a few weeks ago. OpenGL mode runs correctly on Intel Macs once again.

imassents
Jul 12, 2008, 12:49 AM
OpenGL mode runs correctly on Intel Macs once again.OpenGL has never worked on an intel Mac before. This is the first time it is running correctly.

;)

Papajohn56
Jul 12, 2008, 07:22 PM
Still won't work with nVidia cards on 10.5.3/10.5.4

Mac Player
Jul 13, 2008, 08:20 AM
It works if you replace the new drivers with the old ones.

trip1ex
Jul 13, 2008, 08:43 AM
D2 works great in OpenGL with millions of colors on my aluminum INtel Imac OS/X 10.5.4.

asphyxiateDrake
Jul 15, 2008, 01:05 PM
I have a 2.2GHz Intel MacBook Pro with 2GB ram running 10.5.4
I installed Diablo 2 and expansion using the os x installer, and it completed installation. i then proceeded to install the 1.12 patch for D2, it installed and, i opened D2 and it "quits unexpectedly" as soon as it opens. I read something about openGL that makes it work, but i don't know what it is or how i use it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks :)

corinna
Jul 15, 2008, 11:21 PM
I can't get my Macbook Pro to display the screen without distorting it badly. Is there anyway to letterbox and scale so I can enjoy the game at its intended aspect ratio?

splendiferous
Aug 7, 2008, 06:13 AM
I have a 2.2GHz Intel MacBook Pro with 2GB ram running 10.5.4
I installed Diablo 2 and expansion using the os x installer, and it completed installation. i then proceeded to install the 1.12 patch for D2, it installed and, i opened D2 and it "quits unexpectedly" as soon as it opens. I read something about openGL that makes it work, but i don't know what it is or how i use it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks :)

I'm having the same problem w/ my 2.4 GHz MacBook, but I haven't installed the patch yet. Blast it all. I really wish I had a copy of Windows XP right now so I could just use boot camp.

jmulls
Aug 7, 2008, 10:07 AM
This seems like an appropriate thread for my post. i have been watching the development of diablo 3 and it looks fantastic. i am not so much a gamer as I used to be ... family and work get in the way, so I have to be very selective of my gaming time. Blizzard has never let me down and will probably only buy their games going forward. i am going to buy Starcraft 2 for sure when it comes out. I occasionally play civ 4, but have stayed away from WoW in order to save my marriage :).

So, should I buy Diablo 2 for Mac and run through it in anticipation of Diablo 3? How does it run under 10.4 on a Al imac?

shawnathan
Aug 7, 2008, 10:48 AM
D2 works great in OpenGL with millions of colors on my aluminum INtel Imac OS/X 10.5.4.

How did you get it to work? I've been getting the "quit unexpectedly" error that many people are getting. I have the new Aluminum 24" iMac with Leopard 10.5.4. Did you have to do anything special? I'd rather not mess around with rolling back my video drivers. Even when I try to hold down the option key while launching the game to select open GL, the game still quits unexpectedly a second after I click on it.

Stinkypalm
Aug 7, 2008, 04:50 PM
How did you get it to work? I've been getting the "quit unexpectedly" error that many people are getting. I have the new Aluminum 24" iMac with Leopard 10.5.4. Did you have to do anything special? I'd rather not mess around with rolling back my video drivers. Even when I try to hold down the option key while launching the game to select open GL, the game still quits unexpectedly a second after I click on it.

Yours has an Nvidia video card - Diablo 2 is currently not working with Nvidia cards, works great with ATI cards.

shawnathan
Aug 7, 2008, 11:29 PM
Yours has an Nvidia video card - Diablo 2 is currently not working with Nvidia cards, works great with ATI cards.

Ah. Piss.

imassents
Aug 8, 2008, 02:05 AM
Ah. Piss.

Diablo can work on the nVidia based Macs by reverting the drivers to the older ones packaged in an update designed for 10.5.2. To do it you can read here
http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=support&t=548720&tmp=1#post548720

or use the installer from KarlKFI here
http://www.karlkfi.com/archives/2008/07/mac-os-10531054-nvidia-256-colors.html

Please note it is absolutely unnecessary to uninstall. If for some reason you wish to uninstall, please grab the 10.5.4 combo update and re-run it to have everything return to how it should be.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx1054comboupdate.html

asphyxiateDrake
Aug 8, 2008, 02:21 AM
The first link in imassents' post has a very in-depth, but completely effective guide on making Diablo 2 work with the MacBook Pro. Not sure about iMac, but I strongly suggest trying it.

IscariotJ
Aug 8, 2008, 02:22 AM
This seems like an appropriate thread for my post. i have been watching the development of diablo 3 and it looks fantastic. i am not so much a gamer as I used to be ... family and work get in the way, so I have to be very selective of my gaming time. Blizzard has never let me down and will probably only buy their games going forward. i am going to buy Starcraft 2 for sure when it comes out. I occasionally play civ 4, but have stayed away from WoW in order to save my marriage :).

So, should I buy Diablo 2 for Mac and run through it in anticipation of Diablo 3? How does it run under 10.4 on a Al imac?

It's worth picking up. It is addictive, though. The Diablo games are some of the few that I've finished, and still go back to.

It should run OK on your Mac. If not, the later versions of D2 are a hybrid disk. BootCamp it.

imassents
Aug 8, 2008, 03:39 AM
The first link in imassents' post has a very in-depth, but completely effective guide on making Diablo 2 work with the MacBook Pro. Not sure about iMac, but I strongly suggest trying it.

If the iMac utilises nVidia for it's video card the steps I posted in the battle.net forum will work for it. All nVidia related drivers are replaced with the older working ones from the package.

The intel GMA X3100 steps will only work for Macs with a intel GMA X3100.

splendiferous
Aug 8, 2008, 10:20 PM
I really am not very knowledgeable about hardware. In the system profiler graphics section it says that the chipset model is a GMA X3100. Would this be affecting the ability of D2 to run?

imassents
Aug 9, 2008, 06:03 AM
The latest drivers for the GMA X3100 do hamper the ability to run Diablo. If you want to revert to the earlier working drivers, you can read how to do so here
http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=support&t=549029&tmp=1#post549029

or you can use KarlKFI's installer I linked earlier. Again, uninstalling the drivers is not necessary. If you feel the need to uninstall them, run the 10.5.4 combo update.

conroy328
Sep 16, 2008, 07:08 PM
wooohooo the new update fixed the problem D2 starts right up now