PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Used to Browse MacRumors.com?

MacRumors
May 25, 2007, 05:44 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

It looks like someone at Apple has started more openly testing the Apple iPhone across web sites, including MacRumors.com.

One reader tipped us off that they had come across iPhone browser identification strings in the Apache logs of their eBay images. According to their submitted logs, the browser identifies itself as:
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A538a Safari/419.3
While browser identification strings can be easily spoofed, these requests originated from Apple's internal IP addresses.

After this tip, we were able to confirm similar findings in our own logs, verifying the above claims.

matthewHUB
May 25, 2007, 05:46 PM
omfg. that rocks.

Zwhaler
May 25, 2007, 05:46 PM
Cool I hope they find and post in this thread :)

PlaceofDis
May 25, 2007, 05:48 PM
omfg. that rocks.

seconded. thats just freaking awesome.

too bad they can't because of their NDAs. :p

justflie
May 25, 2007, 05:48 PM
Haha. Awesome. But seriously, who routinely goes through their logs for an ebay site? lol. But hey, nice find!

psychofreak
May 25, 2007, 05:49 PM
Its Steve, and he's lurking here to stalk ME...

Detlev_73
May 25, 2007, 05:50 PM
If this proves that folks at Apple look at MacRumors, then they clearly must have some idea of what users really want. Hopefully, they read the thread that was a nearly unanimous negative on the demise of the Mini, because it can't go away.

Dagless
May 25, 2007, 05:52 PM
The perfect feel good news to hear after watching the perfect feel good film (Ferris Bueller :D )

kainjow
Wow... someone used an iPhone to look at a website and it's news :rolleyes:

Peel
Arn,

So which rumors/forums did the good people at Apple look at whilst they were here at MacRumors?

Vidd
May 25, 2007, 05:53 PM
How cool. I wonder how it looks!

szark
May 25, 2007, 05:54 PM
Well, it was confirmed some time ago (by the mods) that Apple employees occasionally browse the site.

* waves to Apple employees *

And, it's news because it proves there are actual functional units roaming around, and we can determine some (but not much) information from the browser string.

SteveG4Cube
May 25, 2007, 05:55 PM
If this proves that folks at Apple look at MacRumors, then they clearly must have some idea of what users really want. Hopefully, they read the thread that was a nearly unanimous negative on the demise of the Mini, because it can't go away.

Yeah... because the opinions of 400 Mac zealots make a dent in the Mini's target market. :p

512ke
May 25, 2007, 05:57 PM
I bet Apple Employees also want to know what the rumors are. They probably don't know everything that's behind closed doors at Apple either.

As for the testing... good. Let's hope they're testing the iPhone browser 24/7... to make sure it works on as many sites as possible.

arn
Arn,

So which rumors/forums did the good people at Apple look at whilst they were here at MacRumors?

I don't feel comfortable posting any specific information from our own logs, as we generally are pretty strict about privacy of information when people browse our site. What I posted was submitted from an outside individual and I was able to verify it to be reputable.

arn

psychofreak
Yeah... because the opinions of 400 Mac zealots make a dent in the Mini's target market. :p

The mac fans have a great impact on the market...people convince other people to switch, who convince other people to switch, who convince other people to switch, who...

iPodAddict
May 25, 2007, 05:59 PM
I believe it. Apple most certainly has people testing the iPhone as we speak.

kainjow
May 25, 2007, 06:00 PM
And, it's news because it proves there are actual functional units roaming around, and we can determine some (but not much) information from the browser string.

Apple would be insane NOT to have functional units being tested within a month of the product's launch.

eenu
May 25, 2007, 06:01 PM
I can confirm the same from my logs

tk421
May 25, 2007, 06:01 PM
The perfect feel good news to hear after watching the perfect feel good film (Ferris Bueller :D )

Seriously. This story made my day! :D Now to go enjoy a nice three-day weekend...

LostPacket
May 25, 2007, 06:02 PM
They were probably checking to see if the iPhone was still shipping at the end of June.

puckhead193
May 25, 2007, 06:04 PM
i would love to see a screen shot of the iphone on MR.

skinnylegs
May 25, 2007, 06:05 PM
Wow... someone used an iPhone to look at a website and it's news Sorry if it's not newsworthy enough for you, buddy. We'll try and hunt down something that will suits your tastes. :rolleyes:

Awesome! Wish we had some accompanying pics.

flopticalcube
May 25, 2007, 06:07 PM
I wonder if it makes phone calls too?

skinnylegs
May 25, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'm guessing it's fully functional seeing as launch date *appears* be less than 30 days away.

I've seen the videos a bazillion times but I am really looking forward to seeing firsthand how internet browsing on the iPhone pans out.

wmmk
May 25, 2007, 06:09 PM
Interesting.

I dig the newly styled digg button on the homepage!

(Pun intended. Now I feel like IJ Reilly. Haha.

Bakey
May 25, 2007, 06:10 PM
Apple would be insane NOT to have functional units being tested within a month of the product's launch.

So why be so blasé about it in your previous post?!?

Cmon... It deserves a COOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!! Does is not!?!!! :confused: ;)

queshy
May 25, 2007, 06:12 PM
STEVE....If you're watching us...update the macs!!!

heisetax
May 25, 2007, 06:15 PM

With less Mac news now than when the slow to change PPC upgrades were called too slow to be useful, those that are Apple people & not just Mac people will take anything from Apple & call it news.

Maybe we can start a rumor that a new Mac is in the beginning phase of putting together a new idea in computing. It will be out sometime before the end of the year, decade, century or what have we. If some people would do that then those that are just Mac people & not Apple trinket people would have something to read & look at. Until that time we have to take what little or nothing that we can get from Apple.

Oh I forgot to bow down & face Cupertino when I made this post.

Bill the TaxMan

BigPrince
May 25, 2007, 06:20 PM
Apple, Please send me to WWDC07 :)

shrimpdesign
May 25, 2007, 06:22 PM
With less Mac news now than when the slow to change PPC upgrades were called too slow to be useful, those that are Apple people & not just Mac people will take anything from Apple & call it news.

You're on the wrong d*mn website. This site is about MacRumors, get over it or leave.

xUKHCx
May 25, 2007, 06:22 PM

And save the mini, if, indeed, you are thinking about culling it.

flopticalcube
May 25, 2007, 06:23 PM
I'll have to admit that this is indeed a Mac rumor in as much as the iPhone uses an OSX derivative. Not really a Mac though. :p

Mac-Addict
May 25, 2007, 06:24 PM

I don't think Steve would take advice on how to run his company from a stranger. But what if...
Look into my eyes not around my eyes! 3 2 1 *Click fingers* Your under. You will first class mail an 8GB Sim free iPhone to my house now! 3 2 1 your back in the room!

If you don't know what I am on about click here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FkkQU62O6LM) or here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=khnHPJUdjb8)

California
May 25, 2007, 06:25 PM

Maybe we can start a rumor that a new Mac is in the beginning phase of putting together a new idea in computing. It will be out sometime before the end of the year, decade, century or what have we. If some people would do that then those that are just Mac people & not Apple trinket people would have something to read & look at. Until that time we have to take what little or nothing that we can get from Apple.

Oh I forgot to bow down & face Cupertino when I made this post.

Bill the TaxMan

It's news for me and it fascinates me, doll.

Why? Because MR has been used several times as a testing ground for fake Mac viruses, for newstories, etc., so quit spewing trolltalk.

And if Steve is cruising MR for info -- Steve -- we love you. Just keep up the separation of Mac and State -- no presidential plugs anymore -- AAPL tanked the day you plugged Gore.

Macellence does not extend to politicking.

Leave that political geekiness to Gates as he kisses the EU/Mexico/China's b*tts to keep his vast empire of IT people in their jobs servicing Windoze viruses.

BigPrince
May 25, 2007, 06:25 PM
I would be cracking up over this if I was the one that browsed it.

EagerDragon
May 25, 2007, 06:26 PM
See 2007/05/19 01:34 c-24-7-124-164.hsd1.ca.comcast.net Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A530a Safari/419.3
Anyone knows who from apple attended Virginia college?

mymowser.com shows they were visited.

More at ualberta.vmitchel looks like same unit
... Windows NT 5.1; SV1) 675695 2007/05/19 01:05 c-24-7-124-164.hsd1.ca.comcast.net Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, ...

If I find more ill add it to this post

Eraserhead
May 25, 2007, 06:29 PM
See 2007/05/19 01:34 c-24-7-124-164.hsd1.ca.comcast.net Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A530a Safari/419.3

Employees have probably been given them for pretty solid testing now.

nslyax
May 25, 2007, 06:37 PM
My first thought was actually that someone was bored enough to read MacRumors' Apache logs, before seeing that it was an eBay auction and that Arn was just verifying. Then realizing the logs are blocked, of course.

Off to go check my own logs, not that anything good ever shows up in them.

mayo2ca
May 25, 2007, 06:39 PM
The only problem I see with that browser ID string is the "Safari/419.3". Safari build 419.3 is the Safari build that comes with OSX 10.4.9. I highly doubt the OSX running on iPhone runs the same build of safari build as the OSX 10.4.9 does. And webkit 420 is the webkit that ships with OSX 10.4 .. again, I doubt the iPhone will have the same build of WebKit as the full blown OS.

I'd say somebody at apple is playing practical joke on people. Who could it be, Steve himself?

update: ok, so i'm a bit wrong. WebKit build with 10.4 is 419, OmniWeb currently supplies with 420. Still, I'd expect the iPhone (as well as Leopard) WebKit build number to be higher.

Warbrain
May 25, 2007, 06:41 PM
THEY READ THIS SITE!

That's all that matters.

KCK
May 25, 2007, 06:42 PM
Guess someone involved with testing the iPhone is a bicycle racing fan. I help run a bicycle racing related web site and I see an entry for some iPhone hits in the logs.

arn
May 25, 2007, 06:44 PM
A couple of public logs you can find via Google

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=%22CPU+like+Mac+OS+X%22&btnG=Search

arn

Mac-Addict
May 25, 2007, 06:45 PM
A couple of public logs you can find via Google

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=%22CPU+like+Mac+OS+X%22&btnG=Search

anr

Ohh smart thinking :P Googling it :)

4God
May 25, 2007, 06:46 PM
Cool, I'm starting to feel that energetic, anxious feeling. :D

SalukiWildcat
May 25, 2007, 06:48 PM
Yeah, and I guarantee you that this mysterious person using the iPhone is laughing their arse off at all of the incorrect projections and rumors he's reading, haha...

Only he knows what is really up....hopefully we will too on June 11th:) :apple: :)

Mac-Addict
May 25, 2007, 06:53 PM
Yeah, and I guarantee you that this mysterious person using the iPhone is laughing their arse off at all of the incorrect projections and rumors he's reading, haha...

Only he knows what is really up....hopefully we will too on June 11th:) :apple: :)

"He" never know :P it could be a she!

synth3tik
May 25, 2007, 06:54 PM
I thought that Macrumors was blocked from use at Apple, unless its a legit test by R&D.

Mac-Addict
May 25, 2007, 06:57 PM
I thought that Macrumors was blocked from use at Apple, unless its a legit test by R&D.
It might not be blocked as such, just not aloud to be used. Plus I bet this visit was just to test how the iPhone can deal with forums and the layout of Macrumors (a lot of people who are going to buy the iPhone are most likely going to visit MR).

psychofreak
May 25, 2007, 06:57 PM
They need it to work well: especially as some of the first customers (those who camp out to get it) will visit MR straight away...

xUKHCx
May 25, 2007, 06:58 PM
They need it to work well: especially as some of the first customers (those who camp out to get it) will visit MR straight away...

from their iPhones

psychofreak
May 25, 2007, 07:00 PM
from their iPhones

Wouldn't you? People post pictures "this is me at the Apple Store, on an iMac", I'm sure we'll get "this is me on my iPhone" posts very quickly...

EagerDragon
May 25, 2007, 07:04 PM
The only problem I see with that browser ID string is the "Safari/419.3". Safari build 419.3 is the Safari build that comes with OSX 10.4.9. I highly doubt the OSX running on iPhone runs the same build of safari build as the OSX 10.4.9 does. And webkit 420 is the webkit that ships with OSX 10.4 .. again, I doubt the iPhone will have the same build of WebKit as the full blown OS.

I'd say somebody at apple is playing practical joke on people. Who could it be, Steve himself?

update: ok, so i'm a bit wrong. WebKit build with 10.4 is 419, OmniWeb currently supplies with 420. Still, I'd expect the iPhone (as well as Leopard) WebKit build number to be higher.

Some of this access was the 19 of the month, not just today.

Besides I do not believe that Apple stated that it was going to run Leopard or did they?

Makes sense that it is Tiger based.

rockosmodurnlif
May 25, 2007, 07:07 PM
I wonder if it makes phone calls too?

Phones that make calls? That's so 1990s. Get with the times man! Geez. :cool:

Detlev
May 25, 2007, 07:08 PM
Oh bother, nothing in my logs for "iPhone" in the last month. Must not be a high priority for the folks at Apple :o

inkhead
May 25, 2007, 07:09 PM
I'd be curious if any of the weblogs recorded iPhone browser screen real estate, since it's obviously smaller than the iPhone screen.

I'd really like to know the two browser window sizes when it's vertical and horizontal so I can start developing web applets for it.

aswitcher
May 25, 2007, 07:10 PM
Great to see.

Next it will be emails from the iPhone.

aggemam
May 25, 2007, 07:16 PM
Well, it was confirmed some time ago (by the mods) that Apple employees occasionally browse the site.

The access logs for http://appie.dk/macbookpro (spoof site) also contain quite a few visits from Apple IPs, some with a MacRumors forum thread as the referrer. Some of them use Leopard :) (Safari 3.0). No iPhone visits there, though.

shawnce
May 25, 2007, 07:24 PM

Review http://developer.apple.com/internet/safari/uamatrix.html

The current WebKit nightly build says...
"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/522+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/419.3"

ricksbrain
May 25, 2007, 07:26 PM
I don't think Steve would take advice on how to run his company from a stranger. But what if...
Look into my eyes not around my eyes! 3 2 1 *Click fingers* Your under. You will first class mail an 8GB Sim free iPhone to my house now! 3 2 1 your back in the room!

If you don't know what I am on about click here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FkkQU62O6LM) or here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=khnHPJUdjb8)

Yes, but perhaps Steve is a proper English lady...?

szark
May 25, 2007, 07:34 PM

It might not be blocked as such, just not aloud to be used.

From everything I've heard over the years, Apple employees are allowed to view rumor sites -- they just can't post anything on the forums.

Besides, the purpose of using the iPhones is product testing. In order to effectively test the phones, they have to visit websites that the majority of their customers will visit. :)

Besides I do not believe that Apple stated that it was going to run Leopard or did they?

Makes sense that it is Tiger based.

No, it was never explicitly stated that the iPhone will run Leopard. However, it was stated in the keynote that the iPhone uses Core Animation, which is a Leopard-only technology (as far as we know).

One Bad Duck
May 25, 2007, 07:37 PM
They were probably checking to see if the iPhone was still shipping at the end of June.

Haha, your so right, theyve got an iphone in their hands but they'll be damned if theyve been told when they're gonna be released and when they can have one for real.

What better way to get information that to visit MR.

OnBdDck

MacTheSpoon
May 25, 2007, 07:38 PM
Wow, this is so exciting!! :)

Peace
May 25, 2007, 07:39 PM

More at ualberta.vmitchel looks like same unit
... Windows NT 5.1; SV1) 675695 2007/05/19 01:05 c-24-7-124-164.hsd1.ca.comcast.net Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, ...

If I find more ill add it to this post

Anyone find it odd that the second one is Windows NT 5.1 ??

Besides..A couple of Apple's best ideas came from Macrumors :-)

szark
May 25, 2007, 07:44 PM

It's just a missing line break. The NT text is the end of the previous log entry.

Peace
May 25, 2007, 07:48 PM
It's just a missing line break. That would be the end of the previous log entry.

Ahhh...OK.

mi5moav
May 25, 2007, 07:53 PM
32 more days till the iPhone launch can't wait till the announcement next monday!!!

Lanbrown
May 25, 2007, 07:55 PM

Most companies that care what their customers think browse forums.

While Apple could look at the Mac Mini thread, why should they? People saying one thing and do another is something entirely different. You have all these people asking for the Mac Mini to be saved, but yet when it comes to sales, it is disappointing. If they sold plenty of them, then it would stick around. I saw quite a few posts of people stating that when they have enough money saved, they would buy one. The Mini has been out for quite awhile. If it takes that long to save the money, then that is why it is being discontinued. The market that is buying it is small and at the extreme low-end and people are buying laptops or the iMac.

malenfant
May 25, 2007, 07:57 PM
why would the traffic come from an apple internal ip (17.*.*.*) address? surely if the phone is on cingular/at&t's network, the ip address of the phone would be an ip address assigned to cingular or at&t?

Lanbrown
May 25, 2007, 07:58 PM

* waves to Apple employees *

A few weeks ago, Stan Sigman gave an iPhone away. There have plenty of proto units being used for testing as well; both at Apple and AT&T.

Did you think that the phone would be released with no test units ever being used?

I bet Apple Employees also want to know what the rumors are. They probably don't know everything that's behind closed doors at Apple either.

As for the testing... good. Let's hope they're testing the iPhone browser 24/7... to make sure it works on as many sites as possible.

That is dependent on how the website wrote their html code. IE allows for errors which allows for programmers to write sloppy code. If people would code to W3C standards, sites would the same on any browser used.

Try MONTHS. It is not uncommon to test for 6 months; new OS, new hardware, etc. Why do you think Leopard is delayed? Leopard is delayed by about 5 months; care to guess when Apple started testing?

It might not be blocked as such, just not aloud to be used. Plus I bet this visit was just to test how the iPhone can deal with forums and the layout of Macrumors (a lot of people who are going to buy the iPhone are most likely going to visit MR).

They could visit any forum powered by vBulletin software.

why would the traffic come from an apple internal ip (17.*.*.*) address? surely if the phone is on cingular/at&t's network, the ip address of the phone would be an ip address assigned to cingular or at&t?

You don’t think they would have GSM equipment as they were developing it? A little hard to test it in the lab without it. You don’t want to use a carriers system. They wouldn’t have FCC certification yet and it could cause issues.

mjstew33
May 25, 2007, 07:59 PM
32 more days till the iPhone launch can't wait till the announcement next monday!!!

next monday? o.O

:confused:

arn
May 25, 2007, 08:00 PM

Wifi access?

arn

localoid
May 25, 2007, 08:00 PM
... No, it was never explicitly stated that the iPhone will run Leopard. However, it was stated in the keynote that the iPhone uses Core Animation, which is a Leopard-only technology (as far as we know).

Some sources claim Apple TV is using a version of the Core Animation API, and yet Apple TV is running a version of Tiger.

MrCrowbar
May 25, 2007, 08:03 PM

It's got Wireless LAN, so if they use it from a hotspot on Apple Campus... well that's an Apple IP internal, right?

Rocketman
May 25, 2007, 08:18 PM
This simply means the iPhone is "real". We knew that. Further it is "in the wild" in the sense that it has been (barely) seen outside Apple security fences.

But not much.

Rocketman

maxrobertson
May 25, 2007, 08:24 PM
Interesting. I wonder why it says it's running Mozilla? Do you think this means more open app development?

Rocketman
May 25, 2007, 08:33 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

After this tip, we were able to confirm similar findings in our own logs, verifying the above claims.

What was one of those strings, specifically, and if there are similarities, what search strings should others use besides iPhone of course?

Rocketman

guzhogi
May 25, 2007, 08:40 PM

They also might want to know if any top secret features are being leaked.

ich1ban
May 25, 2007, 08:46 PM
Haha nice find! :D

bloodycape
May 25, 2007, 09:12 PM
when the Treo 750 was being tested in the wild there was one of those speed test sites that showed a log of two 750 testing their utms speeds. Maybe one the iPhone people also went on their to test the edge speed or wifi speed of the iphone? Maybe we can check?>

mikefd369
May 25, 2007, 09:44 PM

ROFL. Good one! Now witness the power of this fully armed and fully operational iPhone.

nxent
May 25, 2007, 09:59 PM
alright, which one of you guys is the apple guy with the iphone? come on.. don't be shy...

ghall
May 25, 2007, 10:04 PM
alright, which one of you guys is the apple guy with the iphone? come on.. don't be shy...

It was me!

Oh crap, they're gonna come after me now.

BigPrince
May 25, 2007, 10:17 PM
It was me!

Oh crap, they're gonna come after me now.

They are subpoenaing your ISP right now for your house.

Good Bye.

e12a
May 25, 2007, 10:57 PM
whew at least i know my favorite site will work!

/sarcasm. :D

hob
May 25, 2007, 11:15 PM
Interesting. I wonder why it says it's running Mozilla? Do you think this means more open app development?

Safari is based on Mozilla. So mozilla = safari.

Those guys at Apple are cheeky basts. Cheekys devious teasing basts...

(that's my new favourite word!)

edibiase
May 25, 2007, 11:45 PM

Safari's rendering engine is based on KHTML, not Mozilla. The "Mozilla" in the user agent string is somewhat of a tradition; many browsers include it to look like Netscape to unsophisticated scripts and servers. (See the Wikipedia User agent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent) article for more details.)

twoodcc
May 26, 2007, 12:48 AM
sounds like good news to me :apple:

cannonball
May 26, 2007, 01:04 AM
As if they didn't already think we were a bunch of nerds.... Now they see that we see them seeing us, and they know that we know it! Oh dear...

But for real; good to know its up and out. I suppose this is only after FCC approval?

thejadedmonkey
May 26, 2007, 01:27 AM
Like what? Can you share, or is that classified? :)

SiliconAddict
May 26, 2007, 01:29 AM
Its a browser. Its a smartphone....who cares. :rolleyes: Good god next someone is going to wet their pants when someone shows that they received an e-mail from an iPhone.....*screams like a little girl and swoons* Be still by beating heart.

Blue Velvet
May 26, 2007, 01:36 AM
Anyone else just see this as a piece of viral marketing? All of a sudden, there's a story where there wasn't one before, at little or no cost? Piquing people's interest, banging the drums?

I'm a little tired of it before it really starts.

FireArse
May 26, 2007, 03:03 AM
Anyone else just see this as a piece of viral marketing? All of a sudden, there's a story where there wasn't one before, at little or no cost? Piquing people's interest, banging the drums?

I'm a little tired of it before it really starts.

I like drums. Bring on the iPhone!

elppa
May 26, 2007, 05:26 AM

This falls into the "I don't really know the answer so I'll just make one up" category.

Much Ado
May 26, 2007, 05:31 AM
Arn is Steve Jobs in disguise.

I've always suspected it, and now my theories are proven.

/Puts on tin-foil hat

Try reading my thoughts now, Steve! Ha ha!!

vincebio
May 26, 2007, 07:02 AM
i got slated as childish and niave in another thread just recently for suggesting that apple searched these threads and were watching all the rumors sites

to the opinionated twat who accused me of being such a small minded idiot, get it right up u

i sure hope they found no more bugs on there as its getting close....

tkidBOSTON
May 26, 2007, 07:25 AM
I don't feel comfortable posting any specific information from our own logs, as we generally are pretty strict about privacy of information when people browse our site.

Good answer. Thank you.

hob
May 26, 2007, 07:57 AM
This falls into the "I don't really know the answer so I'll just make one up" category.

I do beg your pardon, but I was quite certain that Firefox and Safari shared the same basic engine... little things like the fact that the save password dialogue boxs look identical.

jmeyoung
May 26, 2007, 08:18 AM
I do beg your pardon, but I was quite certain that Firefox and Safari shared the same basic engine... little things like the fact that the save password dialogue boxs look identical.

Safari uses WebKit - http://webkit.org/ - "WebKit's HTML and JavaScript code began as a branch of the KHTML and KJS libraries from KDE."

Firefox, made by the Mozilla Foundation, uses the Gecko engine. - http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Gecko - "Gecko is the name of the layout engine developed by the Mozilla Foundation."

They are completely different engines.

Detlev_73
May 26, 2007, 08:26 AM
Most companies that care what their customers think browse forums.

While Apple could look at the Mac Mini thread, why should they? People saying one thing and do another is something entirely different. You have all these people asking for the Mac Mini to be saved, but yet when it comes to sales, it is disappointing. If they sold plenty of them, then it would stick around. I saw quite a few posts of people stating that when they have enough money saved, they would buy one. The Mini has been out for quite awhile. If it takes that long to save the money, then that is why it is being discontinued. The market that is buying it is small and at the extreme low-end and people are buying laptops or the iMac.

Well, the only reason I think Apple should save the Mini, is that it is truly a disposable Mac. Contrary to what some users have said about there being a veritable "headless" Mac, how headless do they want it?! The Mini doesn't include a display, therefore it's a "headless Mac". Had the Mini been available, with a Core 2 Duo processor at the time I bought my G5 in 2004, I would have gotten it. I don't use Mathematica, I don't use any Pro apps, not even iMovie! I only use it for web browsing, the occasional letter, and burning CDs and DVDs; for these uses a G5 is OVERKILL. I was looking at getting a top of the line Mini when it was revised, and replace it every few years or so, but keep my beautiful Apple Display. :rolleyes:

Counter
May 26, 2007, 09:04 AM
It's me, I'm on the iPhone right now. Just get your browser window and shrink it right down. Then pretend touching it does things.

guzhogi
May 26, 2007, 09:16 AM
As if they didn't already think we were a bunch of nerds.... Now they see that we see them seeing us, and they know that we know it! Oh dear...

My brain hurts now after reading that.

elppa
May 26, 2007, 09:52 AM

I apologise as I realise that sounded quite rude. Sorry :)

In future it may be worth doing a quick search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_(web_browser)#Criticism) (Wikipedia, although fallible is often good for checking facts) before making assertions based on a hunch.

halse
May 26, 2007, 10:40 AM
Haha. Awesome. But seriously, who routinely goes through their logs for an ebay site? lol. But hey, nice find!

lots of folks, many companies track and examine each and every visit to their website for "data mining" purposes such as which products/services are attracting attention from who/where/when and to find sales leads--

CANEHDN
May 26, 2007, 10:42 AM

Amen.

penter
May 26, 2007, 11:34 AM
nice.

GanleyBurger
May 26, 2007, 11:52 AM

Steve should send all of us an invite to visit headquarters and hold a brainstorming session on the future of Apple.

Oh wait, it's all here on MacRumors.

In that case, Steve should be forced to sit in a chair and read these posts.:) A comfy-chair!!!

Much Ado
May 26, 2007, 12:00 PM
In other news, analysts expect that the iPhone may browse other popular websites in the future.

"We expect to see lots of people using the browsing function on their iPhones over the course of the year" they said.

However, the analysts also mentioned that the iPhone is doomed in the wake of the new ZunePhone and similar yet-to-be-annoucned inferior devices, and lowered their AAPL price target to $84.

Nickygoat
May 26, 2007, 12:36 PM
It's a coded message from a formerly prolific poster, who no longer posts. Tells us he's alive and well.

EagerDragon
May 26, 2007, 02:26 PM

wow I did not notice that, good catch.

floam
May 26, 2007, 03:25 PM

CoreWeb
May 26, 2007, 03:42 PM
How is the fact that the person who visited the website before the iPhone was using Windows XP a "good catch"?

Or is it a "good catch" that XP is codenamed NT 5.1?

Or perhaps it is a clue that Apple is working on iPhone SP1.;)

ipearx
May 26, 2007, 04:05 PM
Is the "Mobile/1A538a" bit the individual serial number of the phone?! Just think of the tracking capabilities...

http://bla.st/iphone/

bretm
May 26, 2007, 04:49 PM

Actually I think Apple would be insane to still be testing at this point. The products should already be in the production line, then packaging, then shipping. That product should be locked in now.

Peace
May 26, 2007, 04:53 PM
Actually I think Apple would be insane to still be testing at this point. The products should already be in the production line, then packaging, then shipping. That product should be locked in now.

Just because someone is using the iPhone on campus doesn't imply continued testing.Just means someone has one and was surfing around.No big deal.

Except for the fact that the person visited Macrumors ;)

wmmk
May 26, 2007, 05:38 PM
I don't feel comfortable posting any specific information from our own logs, as we generally are pretty strict about privacy of information when people browse our site. What I posted was submitted from an outside individual and I was able to verify it to be reputable.

arn

Hmmm...

That means they went in the Demi Forums ™ and look at mj without his shirt on!

dcv
May 26, 2007, 05:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A538a Safari/419.3)

Hello there :D :apple:

Defilla
May 26, 2007, 07:44 PM

Did you forget that the iPhone has WiFi ? :confused:

ImAlwaysRight
May 26, 2007, 10:41 PM

ROFLMAO

:apple: :apple: :apple:

natejohnstone@g
May 26, 2007, 11:38 PM
My friend is on the iPhone OS X team. He's been using his iPhone for some time and has been trying to convince me how awesome it is. I saw it though iChat and it certianly looks cool, but I'm not yet convinced that I can justify the expense in my current situation.
My friend is very tight-lipped about specifics, but says that I "wont' be disappointed" with the iPhone and all that it can do and will do in the future.
If the iPhone allows me to combine my PocketPC, phone, and iPod into one device (obviously OS X Light instead of Windows Mobile), that I think that it will be worth it for me.
I guess I'll wait and see.
One thing is for sure, though, the iPhone LOOKS totally awesome. I guess it's lighter that it appears too, so I'm told

BigPrince
May 26, 2007, 11:39 PM
ROFLMAO

:apple: :apple: :apple:

ditto

ddp
May 27, 2007, 03:08 AM
steve and his croonies are sitting in his office right now making crank phone calls on their iphones i just know it.:eek:

EagerDragon
May 27, 2007, 10:48 AM
How is the fact that the person who visited the website before the iPhone was using Windows XP a "good catch"?
It shows that it could not have been a real iPhone. The iPhone connects to the net on its own, it does not use a host computer, so we should not be seeing windows. Unless the issue with windows is from a different line in the logs. As I read Arn's response he was saying that the OS was windows in that line that shows the iphone.

elppa
May 27, 2007, 11:32 AM
It shows that it could not have been a real iPhone. The iPhone connects to the net on its own, it does not use a host computer, so we should not be seeing windows. Unless the issue with windows is from a different line in the logs. As I read Arn's response he was saying that the OS was windows in that line that shows the iphone.

Nail. Hammer.

BigPrince
May 27, 2007, 11:39 AM
someone reword whats going on for me please

Raidersmojo
May 27, 2007, 12:24 PM
Its a browser. Its a smartphone....who cares. Good god next someone is going to wet their pants when someone shows that they received an e-mail from an iPhone.....*screams like a little girl and swoons* Be still by beating heart.

a lot of people care because its not like other "smart phone" browsers out there, this is full HTML on your phone, which is pretty cool. if you don't like it then don't post we don't want to see your "oh who cares" crap here. last thing I want is someone coming in and peeing in my cherrios.

My friend is on the iPhone OS X team. He's been using his iPhone for some time and has been trying to convince me how awesome it is. I saw it though iChat and it certianly looks cool, but I'm not yet convinced that I can justify the expense in my current situation.
My friend is very tight-lipped about specifics, but says that I "wont' be disappointed" with the iPhone and all that it can do and will do in the future.
If the iPhone allows me to combine my PocketPC, phone, and iPod into one device (obviously OS X Light instead of Windows Mobile), that I think that it will be worth it for me.
I guess I'll wait and see.
One thing is for sure, though, the iPhone LOOKS totally awesome. I guess it's lighter that it appears too, so I'm told

everyone has that "one friend" on the apple development team and always come in and say the same things like that all the time. so sorry if we take it with a grain of salt

you know what my friend told me yesterday? and I called him on his BS instantly. he said a lady at radioshack said she could get the iphone right now with a 4 year contract for 150 dollars. he didn't understand when I was telling him they are not going to offer any knock off prices for the iphone. he stuck by his guns and kept saying it was going to be like that. he doesn't realize its not coming out till the 20th and no one will have one (aside apple employees and anyone they give a phone too) will have it before hand

why do people always want to act like they have "the information?"

localoid
May 27, 2007, 12:42 PM
Is this snippet (http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=75114&d=1180140397) from someone's server log file the one in question?

If so, it shows data from three different visitors, and only one is using an iPhone. Although the other two visitors are using Windows, what OS and browser those other visitors are using has nothing to do with the iPhone user.

In other words -- the 2nd line is the one (and only) and entry that pertains to the iPhone.

:rolleyes:

natejohnstone@g
May 27, 2007, 03:54 PM
everyone has that "one friend" on the apple development team and always come in and say the same things like that all the time. so sorry if we take it with a grain of salt

you know what my friend told me yesterday? and I called him on his BS instantly.

why do people always want to act like they have "the information?"

If people didn't want to know "the information" then this website would not exist. If others did not have/think they had "the information" this website would not exist. Everyone on this forum wants to know these things--including yourself--that's why we're here.
Now sure, a lot of people make things up and what not because it's human nature to want to be on the inside of things, and so you have to take everything with a grain of salt, I agree.

But when I was talking about my friend at :apple: who has an iPhone, I wasn't trying to prove how cool it was, or whatever. Actually, i was saying that EVEN THOUGH my friend has one and tried to convince me how cool it was, I'm still skeptical that it's worth the price for my needs. I'm sure it's an awesome device and that when I actually hold one in my hand I'll want to buy , but in all likelihood I'll wait until later because...
and here's a question that my friend at :apple: didn't answer...
will the iPhone be able to work in Europe and Japan? I'll likely be moving abroad in 2 years and don't want to plop down $600 if it's worthless to me in just 2 years.
Does anyone know if there is any information on this yet? :confused: :confused:

geese
May 27, 2007, 04:11 PM
If people didn't want to know "the information" then this website would not exist. If others did not have/think they had "the information" this website would not exist. Everyone on this forum wants to know these things--including yourself--that's why we're here.

will the iPhone be able to work in Europe and Japan? I'll likely be moving abroad in 2 years and don't want to plop down $600 if it's worthless to me in just 2 years.

Well... if your 'friend' at Apple isnt sure, then why would anyone else here know?

Its going to be a GSM phone. Assuming its tri or quad band it'll work anywhere with a GSM network. So yes in Europe, not sure in Japan.

But its going to be locked to a specific network, so you're either going to have to get it unlocked (of which it is uncertain on the iPhone) or pay shed-loads on roaming charges.

paulyras
May 27, 2007, 04:22 PM
Its going to be a GSM phone. Assuming its tri or quad band it'll work anywhere with a GSM network. So yes in Europe, not sure in Japan.

But its going to be locked to a specific network, so you're either going to have to get it unlocked (of which it is uncertain on the iPhone) or pay shed-loads on roaming charges.

I have read here and elsewhere that it will not be unlockable by traditional methods and is may even be locked at the hardware level (though again, time will tell. I have no real inside sources). What will be really interesting to see is whether it's locked to a carrier or locked to any of the apple approved carriers, thus potentially allowing one to sign up for a contract on the eventual European carrier.

This might be the more likely scenario, since there is apparently no plans to have any hard imprinted logos on the phones, though that my also just be to in order to preserve the aesthetics as well, or even just laziness.

I have to say though, it would be nice to be able to drop a local SIM in to the iPhone when traveling. Still not cheap, but typically better than roaming on your original carrier.

Oh, and yeah, it should work in Japan and most of Asia as well (I think there are one or two Asian countries which are on CDMA for some odd reason).

EagerDragon
May 27, 2007, 05:48 PM
Now sure, a lot of people make things up and what not because it's human nature to want to be on the inside of things, and so you have to take everything with a grain of salt, I agree.

But when I was talking about my friend at :apple: who has an iPhone, I wasn't trying to prove how cool it was, or whatever. Actually, i was saying that EVEN THOUGH my friend has one and tried to convince me how cool it was, I'm still skeptical that it's worth the price for my needs. I'm sure it's an awesome device and that when I actually hold one in my hand I'll want to buy , but in all likelihood I'll wait until later because...
and here's a question that my friend at :apple: didn't answer...

I believe your story, your friend would be very excited but unable to reveal the realy cool features. Makes sense. As to advice, it is a personal thing. My wife just quit her job, so I can not afford a bag of candy let alone a phone no matter how cool it will be.

EagerDragon
May 27, 2007, 05:51 PM
Well... if your 'friend' at Apple isnt sure, then why would anyone else here know?

It is GSM Quad. Yes, It is locked in USA, but we can not be sure that it will be locked to a single provider in Europe or Japan. The fact it is GSM may limit it in Japan, don't know for sure.
My understanding is that in Europe most everyone buys their phones unlocked, so I am not sure if Apple will be able to keep it locked there.

Goldfinger
May 28, 2007, 11:56 AM
They can't lock it to one or two carriers in Europe. There is no such thing as a Europe-wide carrier. Even companies like Vodafone or Orange are different in every country. Vodafone UK or Vodafone Italy or whatever are seperate businesses they only carry the same brand. And they'll have to have an unlocked version for Europe. Especially Belgium where locked phones or carrier specific phones are illegal.

The Cingular + iPhone business model is impossible in Europe. It would be a huge mistake.

AppleMojo
May 28, 2007, 12:25 PM
There is no doubt Apple is testing their product, as any normal business should. I find the details of the rumor a little strange / misleading, however.

"these requests originated from Apple's internal IP addresses."

1) An internal IP address would not be in any logs as 'internal' usually references non-internet-routable addresses.

2) The IP would not be coming from Apple's network, but rather a cellular service providers network. Much like my Sprint phone and my Blackberry come from their respective network blocks. *

* Unless they were using WIFI for browsing.

firebox
May 28, 2007, 12:52 PM
Am i right in thinking that it has (recently?) been made illegal for US carriers to prevent users from unlocking their phones ?

I believe the carriers ARE allowed to lock the phone and do not have to provide and unlocking service but are NOT allowed to prevent a user from unlocking it elsewhere, please could someone correct me if i am wrong..

I am assuming that locking the phone at the hardware level would require voiding the warranty in some shape or form to unlock it, therefore preventing the user from unlocking it (I certainly wouldn't want to void my warranty on a 1st gen product, although i'll definately be buying one for use in the UK)

Surely forcing the customer to void the warranty if they want their phone unlocked would be illegal ?? I would also assume that they will sell many more if unlocking it was relativly straight forward.

I'm sure that there are many forum members on here that would appreciate it if this law could be clarified by someone in the know. I certainly would!

zap2
May 28, 2007, 01:03 PM
Good to here...heopfully that will be me in less then a month!

cycocelica
May 28, 2007, 01:23 PM
Its always good to know that at least the iPhone seems to be working. Not really front page worthy, but still cool.

gnasher729
May 28, 2007, 06:36 PM
My friend is on the iPhone OS X team. He's been using his iPhone for some time and has been trying to convince me how awesome it is.

If you did actually have a friend on the iPhone OS X team, he would have suffered a heart attack right after reading your post.

plinden
May 29, 2007, 12:54 PM
Want to have fun with Apple/Mac fan sites?

Open Terminal and type on one line (replace URL with one of your choice):
curl http://www.macrumors.com -H 'User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0
(iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko)
Version/3.0 Mobile/1A538a Safari/419.3'

arn
May 29, 2007, 12:56 PM
Want to have fun with Apple/Mac fan sites?

Open Terminal and type on one line (replace URL with one of your choice):
curl http://www.macrumors.com -H 'User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0
(iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko)
Version/3.0 Mobile/1A538a Safari/419.3'

The trick is doing that from an Apple IP address.

arn

oogje
May 29, 2007, 01:16 PM

arn

Would an Apple Store count?

brian

AidenShaw
May 29, 2007, 10:26 PM

arn

I don't think so - the rabid fanbois would interpret user-agent strings that look like they're from the Iphone coming from all over as *proof* that there are thousands of Iphones in the wild!

peharri
May 30, 2007, 07:43 AM
Am i right in thinking that it has (recently?) been made illegal for US carriers to prevent users from unlocking their phones ?

I believe the carriers ARE allowed to lock the phone and do not have to provide and unlocking service but are NOT allowed to prevent a user from unlocking it elsewhere, please could someone correct me if i am wrong..

Alas no, although as you worded it that should be obvious because it doesn't make much sense (it's locked but the user can unlock it... well, then is it really locked? If a mobile phone rings in the forest, and nobody has an unlock code, does it make a sound? Heh.)

What actually happened is that the US Copyright Office made it explicitly legal (that is to say, it wasn't entirely certain it was illegal in the first place, but the DMCA is such a can of worms that people pull all kinds of legal stunts with it to prevent the legal owners of consumer goods from doing perfectly reasonable things) to circumvent service provider locks put on phones.

So if your iPhone is locked to Cingular, and you find a way to make it accept and work with your T-Mobile SIM, neither AT&T/Cingular nor Apple can successfully sue you under the DMCA or under general copyright law.

However, that doesn't mean that AT&T/Cingular and Apple aren't allowed to make an impossible to circumvent lock that third parties aren't physically able to break. Apple could, for example, ensure that the logic that locks the phone to AT&T/Cingular is blown, physically, into the silicon at such a low level that it would be impossible to reprogram it (or replace the chip) without rendering the entire phone useless.

That said, as others have pointed out, many countries have laws outlawing service provider locks completely. If Apple wants a bite of those markets, it will have to sell an unlocked version of the phone, a phone that, in all probability, will work fine in the US with T-Mobile, SunCom, et al. Other markets have laws that imply locks must be in software and circumventable - that is, in the UK the law requires that operators provide phone owners with unlock codes/keys within a certain amount of time upon request.

Of course, Apple may simply decide not to sell the phone in those markets, or to sell a dual-band or UMTS version that will not work in the US. We don't, at this stage, know what their strategy is and fully what their obligations to AT&T are.

barijazz
Jan 1, 2008, 12:08 AM
has macrumors made a web app for the iphone?

shoelessone
Jan 1, 2008, 02:33 AM
wow, what a bump!

pamon
Jan 2, 2008, 07:54 PM
to add a second bump to the old thread... i love Macrumors on my iphone... great viewing and a great bookmark to my iphone...

JNB
Jan 2, 2008, 08:45 PM
has macrumors made a web app for the iphone?

No web app, but there's always this...

averyash
Jan 5, 2008, 01:23 AM
I'm not sure of where else to post this thought...

Does anyone else remember the interview conducted with Steve and AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson shortly before the iPhone release this summer? (for those who don't, you can read the transcript here: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/corporatenews/2007-06-28-jobs-stephenson-qa_N.htm).

The part of this interview that I am particularly intrigued by is this question and response:

"Q: What about corporate e-mail? I understand that's an issue for many consumers, who may not be able to hook up to their company networks?

Jobs: You'll be hearing more about this in the coming weeks. We have some pilots going with companies with names you'll recognize. This won't be a big issue."

As far as I remember, and have found through research, none of these pilots went out.

Any chance that this is a piece of Macworld keynote, potentially with the iPhone sales figures?

As far as I have read, I'm the first to suggest this, so if Jobs hits on the at Macworld, I'm going to take some serious pride in this.