PDA

View Full Version : X3 Reunion : Insane graphics requirements

MacBoobsPro
May 26, 2007, 11:05 AM
Ive just spent 3 hours downloading (legally) X3 from vpltd.com to be informed that the game cannot be run on my system. I have a 1.8DP PMG5 with 2GB and 256MBVRAM. :eek:

To run X3 you need a PCI-X graphics card with 128MB VRAM. So basically 99% of the Mac community cannot run this game. Even brand new MacBooks, Minis and 17" iMacs have no chance whatsoever.

My mac is only 2 years old and the graphics card is only about a year old as I upgraded it to the X800XT.

The only mention about the game needing PCI-X cards is a tiny little line of text saying "Graphics cards must be PCI-X". Well I missed it and I bet many other have/will to.

This is just a warning to others really and to vent a bit of frustration. :mad:

mkrishnan
May 26, 2007, 11:14 AM
Don't the requirements also pretty clearly call for an Intel processor? :confused:

Requirements
Supported OS: Mac OSX 10.4.8
Processor: 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo Processor or better
RAM: 512 MB or more
Video Card: ATI or NVIDIA graphics chipsets
Please note that video cards must be PCI express and have 128 MB or more memory
Hard Drive Space: 5.5 GB free
Display: 800 by 600 32 bit display

MacRumorUser
May 26, 2007, 11:15 AM
That sucks.... I guess there's no chance of a refund ?

Don't the requirements also pretty clearly call for an Intel processor? :confused:

I was just about to say that as well ?

c-Row
May 26, 2007, 11:25 AM

The "Intel Required" button at the right top of the page (http://www.macgamestore.com/detail.php?ProductID=781) might have been a good hint as well... still, frustrating without doubt.

FleurDuMal
May 26, 2007, 11:28 AM
I don't even bother trying to run games on my Macbook anymore. Not since the disappointment of Civ IV's performance on it.

Am looking to replace it with a MBP if the GPU is decent in the update. I won't hold my breath though.

dmw007
May 26, 2007, 12:17 PM
Am looking to replace it with a MBP if the GPU is decent in the update. I won't hold my breath though.

Anything is better than the integrated graphics in the MacBook. :p :cool: :)

MacBoobsPro
May 26, 2007, 12:34 PM
This is the page I bought it from:

http://www.vpltd.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=213&zenid=557f169d80d87cb84368b2c2e481fa36

As you can see its not very clear that it is 'Intel' only. Infact I recall seeing a 'universal' icon somewhere but i cant seem to find it now.

Also note how inconspicuous the PCI-X card note is. I quickly scanned the requirements as my machine is by no means old or crap, so yes it is my fault but these two points should be much more clearly noted.

mkrishnan
May 26, 2007, 12:39 PM
FWIW, the requirements tab of the same page is what I linked in my post. ;) But... it does stink, and I'm sorry you ended up with software you cannot play.

Have there already been a lot of Intel-only OS X games released so far? I think I've heard of a few.

Also, out of curiosity, is there a PC version, and is the PC version fine with DirectX compliance, or does it also require PCI-X? Not that you can run it in Windows on a PMG5, obviously, but....

cube
May 26, 2007, 12:42 PM
I said from the beginning that it was bad that in XCode you can select to compile only for Intel because software vendors (especially games), would quickly make pseudo-universal Intel-only programs.

BTW, it's PCIe, not PCI-X.

MacBoobsPro
May 26, 2007, 12:44 PM
FWIW, the requirements tab of the same page is what I linked in my post. ;) But... it does stink, and I'm sorry you ended up with software you cannot play.

Have there already been a lot of Intel-only OS X games released so far? I think I've heard of a few.

Also, out of curiosity, is there a PC version, and is the PC version fine with DirectX compliance, or does it also require PCI-X? Not that you can run it in Windows on a PMG5, obviously, but....

I believe it needs DirectX9 but thats crap all to me. I do realise it is very graphics intensive and that is what attracted me to it (as well as the previous versions) but just saying '1.8 Intel CoreDuo or better' does not say to me 'intel only'. I didnt even realise it was Intel only until it was mentioned here. I was talking about the PCI-X thing that also is not very distinguishable.

EDIT:
BTW, it's PCIe, not PCI-X.

Okeykokey

dmw007
May 26, 2007, 12:50 PM

I am not sure if there have been a lot of Intel only games for Mac OS X, but it is a shame that there are. It is a shame not to support PowerPC G4/G5 processors. :rolleyes:

MacBoobsPro
May 26, 2007, 01:00 PM
It is a shame not to support PowerPC G4/G5 processors. :rolleyes:

If thats a dig at me :p Im all for progression to Intel only. Im not bothered that its Intel only, I'm bothered that its not clearly stated.

I will be going OctoCore soon anyway so its not a big deal. I just wanted to make sure other people didnt have to waste 3 plus hours and find it will not run.

mkrishnan
May 26, 2007, 01:07 PM
If thats a dig at me :p Im all for progression to Intel only. Im not bothered that its Intel only, I'm bothered that its not clearly stated.

In your defense :p I did go to the developer's site, and it was just horribly constructed. Trying to understand for what platforms X3 had been released, what the requirements on those platforms were, what platforms were planned, etc, etc, was essentially impossible without googling for external reviews.

Jopling
May 26, 2007, 01:34 PM
Thats a pretty sweet website, I had never heard of it before. It's a shame you got screwed over like that.

Gee
May 26, 2007, 02:54 PM
I'll buy it off you for 20 if you're interested.

Eric5h5
May 26, 2007, 03:07 PM
I said from the beginning that it was bad that in XCode you can select to compile only for Intel because software vendors (especially games), would quickly make pseudo-universal Intel-only programs.

Which has nothing to do with X3, which was made for the Mac by using Cider, which basically runs the Windows version. Hence it's impossible to support PPC, since it's not even really a port, per se.

--Eric

MacBoobsPro
May 26, 2007, 03:57 PM
I'll buy it off you for 20 if you're interested.

Im not going to give away 10 as easy as that mate. :rolleyes: Plus its a digital download that registers the machine you download from and locks the serial to that machine. That being said it does allow it to be registered on a second machine.

It bites even more that I am writing this on my MacBook but still cant run the bugger. :rolleyes:

Shanesan
May 26, 2007, 04:31 PM
No offense, but because of your complaint, I'm completely downloading this.

This game looks pretty sick. Nice to have a MBP.

I'll tell ya'll how it runs.

Gee
May 26, 2007, 04:32 PM
Im not going to give away 10 as easy as that mate. :rolleyes: Plus its a digital download that registers the machine you download from and locks the serial to that machine. That being said it does allow it to be registered on a second machine.

It bites even more that I am writing this on my MacBook but still cant run the bugger. :rolleyes:

Ok, 25? :eek:

Shanesan
May 26, 2007, 07:32 PM
DMG not recognized.

Seriously. What the heck.

Ah, here's a good reason. The unarchiver wasn't exactly unzipping the file. It just says it was.

lewion
May 27, 2007, 07:31 AM
Uhm to the guy above --> use TOAST to mount it!

GFLPraxis
May 27, 2007, 11:19 AM
Ive just spent 3 hours downloading (legally) X3 from vpltd.com to be informed that the game cannot be run on my system. I have a 1.8DP PMG5 with 2GB and 256MBVRAM. :eek:

To run X3 you need a PCI-X graphics card with 128MB VRAM. So basically 99% of the Mac community cannot run this game. Even brand new MacBooks, Minis and 17" iMacs have no chance whatsoever.

My mac is only 2 years old and the graphics card is only about a year old as I upgraded it to the X800XT.

The only mention about the game needing PCI-X cards is a tiny little line of text saying "Graphics cards must be PCI-X". Well I missed it and I bet many other have/will to.

This is just a warning to others really and to vent a bit of frustration. :mad:

Nitpick; it demands a PCIe card, not a PCI-X. PCI-X is a very different thing.
Looks like only the $1299 17" iMac and above, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro can play this.

GFLPraxis
May 27, 2007, 11:20 AM
Anything is better than the integrated graphics in the MacBook. :p :cool: :)

You know, it's really not that bad on 2 GB of RAM. Outperforms my old computer with a dedicated 128 MB Geforce FX 5200 (not the best card, but it ran all the games I played, albiet on lower settings).

At 1280x800, I can run most of my games on higher settings. I'm not running Half-Life 2 or anything (though I understand it'll run!) though.

Vidd
May 27, 2007, 04:00 PM
While Intel-only requirements is bad for people who bought just at the end of PPC, the fact that companies can sell software exclusively for Intel Macs demonstrates evidence of a credible market.
It's better than Bootcamp-only games. ;)

Cabbit
May 27, 2007, 04:29 PM
While Intel-only requirements is bad for people who bought just at the end of PPC, the fact that companies can sell software exclusively for Intel Macs demonstrates evidence of a credible market.
It's better than Bootcamp-only games. ;)

Mac games are going intel only because cider makes porting games to intel macs childs play but it dosnt work with ppc macs. Cider makes it so that games publishers can port games to mac wile only concentrating on bug fixes and ui.

FleurDuMal
May 27, 2007, 06:10 PM
Mac games are going intel only because cider makes porting games to intel macs childs play but it dosnt work with ppc macs. Cider makes it so that games publishers can port games to mac wile only concentrating on bug fixes and ui.

If it's so easy to make ports to OSX now, then why do they still mess it up all the time?! :mad:

mkrishnan
May 27, 2007, 06:16 PM
If it's so easy to make ports to OSX now, then why do they still mess it up all the time?! :mad:

Cider really eases translations to Mac, but it's a massive distortion to call it the only reason programs are moving to Intel only. Hardly any games at or near release have been developed with Cider; their own site only lists two games, and neither of them are among the most talked about games on PCs at the moment.

Aaronjon
Jul 5, 2007, 11:48 AM
Hi all,

I just downloaded X:3 Reunion... and halfway through downloading noticed that the game requires a PCI express card. I was heartbroken, but macgamestore told me to try the game first on my new Macbook with 64MEG VRAM. I was expecting it not to work...

and was WRONG.

The game works without a PCI express card. Certainly, the transitions are a bit choppy, but the game runs smoothly other than that. Dogfights are smooth, flight is smooth.

MacBook Core 2 Duo
2 Ghz
1 Gig mem
667 Mhz bus
Intel GMA 950 Graphics w/64 megs shared system mem VRAM

As to the Interface... its pure hell if you want to buy a game, fire it up, and kill stuff. But its not that kind of game. Its lengthy, complex, and has a high learning curve. Just like the interface. The interface is TOUGH, dont get me wrong... took me 20 min to figure out how to fire a missle, because the joystick mapping isnt exactly accurate. (game says to press and hold joy button 2...with just removes the missle from inventory. Have to press "l" on keyboard.)

Dont give up on it yet. If you want a game where you can whittle away the hours becomig proficient at it, it looks promising for fans of Freespace, and classic space combat sims. Altho I sure miss the ease and grace of my old Xwing vs Tie Fighter game...

Aaron

::EDIT::

--> oops. Simulations and training ran perfectly FINE... and on the 2nd mission of the regular storyline, problems started. It basically becomes unplayable during the 2nd mission, and locks up after jerking for a while. I can't get it to play past the first wave of pirates. *WEEPS*

gaiamark
Jul 10, 2007, 06:27 AM
I'm something of an X3 veteran, having played the game on a PC for a number of months. I recently downloaded it for my Macbook Pro 2.33 17", and it runs very well (about as well as on my AMD 4800+ with 7600GS card). The graphics are smooth and absolutely beautiful at highest resolution and 4x anti-aliasing.

And I agree with everything Aaronjon wrote about the game - it is extremely involved and has a very steep learning curve, but it's an awesome game. There is a heavily active online community at www.egosoft.com. They've done extensive and interesting modding of the PC version of the game using scripting, but as far as I know, this has yet to be extended to the Mac. Be warned - the forums are chock-full of PC fanboys :rolleyes:

edit: I haven't done the missions yet on Mac version, so I don't know what the Aaronjon's locking up problem could be. The game was originally very buggy on PC. I would look for patches at egosoft.com. In the meantime, Aaronjon, you might try toggling different graphics options. I'm not on my Mac right now, but if there was an option for "alternate display mode" or something like that, give it a try. Otherwise, try turning down the resolution and anti-aliasing, or toggle other graphics options. I believe I once had a similar problem with that same mission on PC, and changing some graphics options got me through it. Good luck.

kaltsasa
Jul 10, 2007, 09:05 AM
I bought my copy at macgamestore.com. There they do have a big ol disclaimer

Note: This game will only run on Intel-based Macs. The download is 2.9 GB.

Game runs pretty decent on my 20" imac. And it's fun as hell once you get into it. As a fan of the original I had been following it pretty closely and knew it was intel only powered by Cider, but a cursory glance at the VP site doesn't make it super clear that it's intel only. I can understand how one might nab it from them with out knowing it's intel only there. I think the Mac version is 2.x something up to date with the latest Windows version patches(which it technically is wrapped in a neat lil bundle).

coldpower27
Oct 9, 2009, 01:58 PM
I wonder how this game will run on a Mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro?