PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't You Play A Lot OF Games On Your Mac?

iToaster
May 28, 2007, 02:26 AM
Let's hear all of your reasons for why you don't play a lot of games on your mac. Apparently, my MB was not intended for gaming, at all. Here's mine: downloaded a small flash game (N, the one with the ninja) and after 30 seconds of play...

bartelby
May 28, 2007, 02:34 AM
Why don't I play games?

Because I have no attention span.

cycocelica
May 28, 2007, 02:34 AM
Because I don't like computer games. Console games are more my style.

true777
May 28, 2007, 03:16 AM
I don't like computer games at all. I find no purpose and no sense of enjoyment in them whatsoever -- to me they are boring and a waste of time. I'd rather be out walking the dog, jogging, or spending time taking my small son to the playground. Computer games just don't compare to visceral real world experiences to me.

Dynamyk
May 28, 2007, 08:25 AM
I do, just older games like Warcraft 3 :)

siurpeeman
May 28, 2007, 08:28 AM
i have a nintendo ds for playing games. and even then, i don't game too much.

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 28, 2007, 08:29 AM
Those temperatures has nothing to do with the gaming capabilities of the Macs, it just shows how insanely bad your flash plug-in is. :rolleyes:

iToaster
May 28, 2007, 11:28 AM
Those temperatures has nothing to do with the gaming capabilities of the Macs, it just shows how insanely bad your flash plug-in is. :rolleyes:

And that explains the temps. cool... er hot. Also I don't really have much of and attraction to gaming. I own a PS2, but use it infrequently. Games, no, I prefer fooling around on my MacBook:D

sb58
May 28, 2007, 12:23 PM
because there aren't many?

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 28, 2007, 12:27 PM
because there aren't many?You should still manage to keep yourself amused for a while: http://www.apple.com/games/

zim
May 28, 2007, 01:38 PM
Because Console games better and my Mac is more for work, research and mindless web surfing.

HengenJL
May 28, 2007, 02:29 PM
I never had many computer games to begin with. but now most of my computer gaming is on my PowerBook for World of Wacraft, Starcraft, Warcraft III, EV Nova and a couple of others. but I do use my PS2 a lot more than my Mac.

Mantronix
May 28, 2007, 03:15 PM
For PCs it costs way too much money to keep up with the current trend of PC games. If you're like me, I want to play any game on the highest settings with no issues therefore I would have to spend a fortune to get the right setup. For a top of the line setup you're looking at no less than 3k for a system. For that much money I can buy a 60" Sony 1080p HDTV. I own a X-box 360, Nintendo Wii and a Playstation 2 and those keep me occupied long enough. Only PC games I play are the ones made by Blizzard. I play WC3 DOTA on a regular basis. I don't have to worry about upgrading, system requirements, drivers or incompatibility issues. Turn it on, pop in the disc and play. Like a Mac, it just works.

skinnylegs
May 28, 2007, 03:25 PM
I have an Xbox 360 but do most of my gaming on a PC. I don't play games on my Mac for a number of reasons. First and foremost, games don't have the same "feel" on my Mac; even when I hook up my PC keyboard and mouse. I don't know how to describe it other than the cursor doesn't react the way I like it to. I also don't want to fill up my Mac HD with games.

FleurDuMal
May 28, 2007, 03:48 PM
Because I have a Macbook which isn't really up to most games, and I can't be bothered installing Bootcamp on it (and I haven't got the HD space to really do so).

Silver-Fox
May 28, 2007, 03:48 PM
PC aren't for games, you have consoles for that

Chone
May 28, 2007, 04:11 PM
When I only had a Mac I games like crazy on it, and it was good anyways since the Mac was a superior platform back then (I'm talking mid 90's or so) I mean you actually had a desktop GUI and no PC game had graphics like the Marathon Trilogy.

But then on 2000 I got a PC and realized that Macs were no longer superior for gaming in ANY sense, games on PC are cheaper, PCs are cheaper for performance, games run better on Windows, they have more features on Windows and they are usually much more flexible on Windows.

So now I do gaming almost exclusively on Windows, I still play some games on my Macs though, namely Warcraft 3 and Marathon (yes I know there is A1 for Windows but it just feels wrong playing Marathon on a PC). The thing there is not as much variety for Mac games as there is for PC games and since PC games are better in the first place, why bother? The only advantage of Mac games is the convenience of not having to switch computer/reboot to bootcamp.

MacsRgr8
May 28, 2007, 05:29 PM
PC aren't for games, you have consoles for that

Ha..!

PC's are best for games!
I like a dedicated gaming rig onto which I can attach a *good* FF Racing Wheel, upragde the grfx card if necessary and have a Keyboard & Mouse for precision shooting.

calculus
May 28, 2007, 05:34 PM
No games on the Macs in this house - that's what the Nintendo is for...

FleurDuMal
May 28, 2007, 05:35 PM
No games on the Macs in this house - that's what the Nintendo is for...

Until they get Civilization IV ported to the Wii, nothing can stop my PC gaming.

yamabushi
May 28, 2007, 09:49 PM
I do play a lot of games on my Macs. I only use my Windows computers for playing those few titles I am interested in that don't run under OS X such as the Total War series. One of these days I will get around to installing Windows on my Intel Mac to dual boot for those games.

jaycrew
May 28, 2007, 10:30 PM
I never saw my Mac as a gaming platform. I always thought it was great for "digital life" stuff like my music and pics, but for games I always had consoles or handhelds.

chadi
May 28, 2007, 11:41 PM
I bought my Macbook Pro(ductivity) so I would do more work instead of wasting time on my P(ro)C(rastination) machine. :)

My gaming PC is for sale now and although I'm sure there will be times I'll miss it...I'll be content knowing I'm doing more productive things. It does bother me a bit that my MBP has no where near the disk I/O speed that my PC has (2x80GB Raid 0 OS drive, 2x250GB raid 0 data drive...how's that for lack of redundancy! Backup often!) But I think I'll get an eSata external setup as soon as the PC sells and all will be well :)

I'm sure though in the future more games will come out for mac 'quicker' since more and more people are switching as of late. (Or at least it seems to be the case if you read any of the 'I just switched' threads all over these boards (mine isn't that old either :) )

Chad

erickkoch
May 29, 2007, 02:14 AM
A few reasons.

Comfort: I have a big easy chair in front of my HDTV so playing games there is much more comfortable on my XBox360 than being hunched over in a chair at my desk.

I don't have to upgrade my Xbox360 everytime a new, better game comes out.

No Gears of War or Halo 3 coming to Mac.

oingoboingo
May 29, 2007, 03:13 AM
Too busy working!

c-Row
May 29, 2007, 03:43 AM
I do some gaming on my MacBook Pro, I even picked up both Homeworld 2 and Civ IV recently, but being on a mobile machine, I don't want to carry each and every CD with me, so I rarely play any games on it when I am not at home - that's what my PSP is for.

Things might change once I get myself a shiny Mac Pro, though... ;) (the iMac is blocked by my wife most of the time)

rumbletum
May 30, 2007, 01:36 AM
I don't like computer games at all. I find no purpose and no sense of enjoyment in them whatsoever -- to me they are boring and a waste of time. I'd rather be out walking the dog, jogging, or spending time taking my small son to the playground. Computer games just don't compare to visceral real world experiences to me.

Yet you'll spend your time reading a forum devoted to games? :confused: :D

kaltsasa
May 30, 2007, 08:40 AM
I do play lots of games on my Mac. Next question.

Queso
May 30, 2007, 09:00 AM
I simply don't anymore. Got into other things instead.

wyatt23
May 30, 2007, 09:06 AM
really, i like to see the progress of games than actually playing them. i just don't have the time anymore to sit down and actually play games like oblivion. however, i do love watching people play them for short increments simply because games are becoming more like moving works of art.

mahashel
May 30, 2007, 10:23 AM
I agree with the poster (skinnylegs, I think) who mentioned a different "feel" when gaming on a PC versus a Mac. While I'm not sure I can clearly state what the difference in "feel" might be, I can say that my PCs tend to be far more responsive while gaming than my Macs. Granted, neither platform is state-of-the-art in my house due to financial restrictions, but it seems like the PCs are quicker at 3D clock-for-clock. Maybe it's OSX's multitasking nature getting in the way, maybe it's OpenGL vs. DirectX, or maybe it's some low-level architectural quirk. Regardless, my PCs are the gaming systems and the Macs are productivity systems. Both run great for what I need them to do.

the PC: 800MHz AMD Duron, GeForce2GT, 512MB RAM, XP
the Mac: 733MHz G4 PowerMac, Geforce2GT, 756MB RAM, OS 10.3
PC was more responsive on Halo, WOW, AoE2, & SW Battlegrounds, which are all of the Mac games I tried before diverting my gaming budget to the PC side. (I've since built faster game systems)

Aside: has anyone tried running games natively in Linux? (not under Wine or other emulation). I've heard a couple games (EVE & ?) can be built and run on Linux. Reason being, I'd love to continue building speedy gaming PCs, but find some way to dump Windows for obvious reasons. (might take us back to OGL vs D3D again. ha)

mkrishnan
May 30, 2007, 10:39 AM
Me too. I only really like console games. I've even moved to not really using the TV for games -- since I moved to Florida, I haven't bought a TV-based console, and I've just played GBA and DS Lite games. Very happily, I might add. More my style. :) I don't miss the lack of games on my Macs at all. Once or twice I did play GBA games by emulator on my Macs, and occasionally, occasionally, other games, but I'm very satisfied with that balance. :)

odinsride
May 30, 2007, 12:17 PM
I only play WoW, sometimes Diablo 2. WoW alone leaves me with little time for other games :)

Outside of those two games I do the rest of my gaming on my 360 or DS. Computers games haven't been too impressive in recent years, and the offering on console systems appeals much more to me.

scrambledwonder
May 30, 2007, 03:46 PM
I prefer the escape of a good novel. I have enough problem solving at work.

eldino
Jun 13, 2007, 09:17 AM
I played for years Age of Empires II on my PCs. Since 1 year I play it on my iBook G4 1,33 12'. I think I will never be tired of this game =)

Cooknn
Jun 13, 2007, 09:41 AM
In my house Mac's are for photography, movies, music and the occasional spreadsheet - as well as everyday tasks like web browsing and email. We game on the PS3.

whooleytoo
Jun 13, 2007, 11:31 AM
I don't game much on the Mac as (ironically) the best gaming Mac is the pro model, which is a bit pricier than I'd like.

Jessy
Jun 13, 2007, 11:45 AM
Because I'm still learning Unity, and I hate all the other games on the Mac. The only ones I like are Ghost Master and RealMyst, and they're not supported any more.

I'll make you guys a good game soon.

djbahdow01
Jun 13, 2007, 01:13 PM
1. Too little time, lots of work going on. Photo editing, design work, etc.

2. Thats what consoles are for. I don't need to live on my computer 16 hours a day, even though I am close to that already.

3. My Wii keeps me active, whereas I'd be sitting down and just moving a mouse and punching keys.

Other than that I just enjoy keeping work and play separate.

I'mAMac
Jun 13, 2007, 02:25 PM
A few reasons.

Comfort: I have a big easy chair in front of my HDTV so playing games there is much more comfortable on my XBox360 than being hunched over in a chair at my desk.

No Gears of War or Halo 3 coming to Mac.

Amen. If only :apple: made a console to counter the 360 :rolleyes:

paddy
Jun 13, 2007, 06:12 PM
Because of the GMA950 :mad:. I know, I know, the MB isn't for gaming but it's so frustrating that it meets the minimum spec for even Crysis in everything 'cept the GFX, not that I ever expected a MB to be able to run games like that but ya know....

Keebler
Jun 13, 2007, 06:27 PM
no time.

simple as that.

BUT, with the recent announcement from EA regarding mac games like C&C3 and madden 08, i must <sigh> make some time for them ;)

biturbomunkie
Jun 13, 2007, 06:27 PM
cos i have better things to play with.

Gasu E.
Jun 14, 2007, 03:15 PM
I don't like computer games at all. I find no purpose and no sense of enjoyment in them whatsoever -- to me they are boring and a waste of time. I'd rather be out walking the dog, jogging, or spending time taking my small son to the playground.

Ah, then you would enjoy "The Sims."

:p

booksacool1
Jun 18, 2007, 06:05 PM
I don't play a lot of games on my mac because I play them on PC.
I *could* play them on the mac, at lower resolution with lower FPS etc. But why would I if the pc can run rings around the mac (in games at least).

Unfortunately apple needs to improve OSX's gaming credentials. Then I'll be back.

Genghis Khan
Jun 18, 2007, 06:15 PM
I don't want to get distracted

I have a 360 for games

The only game i have on them is warcraft 3...don't need anything else

Xenious
Jun 18, 2007, 07:28 PM
Because my video card is teh suck and I'm stuck looking for an AGP replacement. I love ATI's pricing mechanism for mac cards.

1) sell
2) sell
3) just when you might have to drop the price...
4) discontinue <- this is when I realize I should have bought at step 2.

oh x800 how you taunt me!

xsedrinam
Jun 18, 2007, 07:34 PM
I understand that everyone has some sort of time wasters they do to piddle on the computer. I just never got hooked on games of any sort. It's not my thing.

Shotgun OS
Jun 18, 2007, 07:39 PM
I see no point in gaming on any computer. I have a Wii, a DS, and a PS2 for that.

shipdestroyer
Jun 19, 2007, 07:54 AM
edit: nevermind :(

wrldwzrd89
Jun 19, 2007, 07:59 AM
I prefer making games for you guys to play instead of buying and playing other people's games ;)

Royale w/cheese
Jun 19, 2007, 12:54 PM
Too busy working!

You said it.

Zampano`s
Jun 19, 2007, 01:44 PM
Sorry to be straight, but i've always been a mac user and now i'm proud owner of a MacPro. And yes, it can fly... :rolleyes:

But you cannot play any games with high quality graphic on the 4 or 8 muscles Mac. Not with OS and not under WINDOWS, because the best graphic cards for MacPros are a joke compared to what much cheaper Mickey Mouse Windows machines offer.

It's a shame, Billy. I wonder what kind of frolic product "manager" does the product planning for the MacPros.

At least the Windows guys out there have a good time, rolling on the floor laughing about us apple gamers. :mad:

Greetings from Switzerland.
Forza Alinghi !!!

Dagless
Jun 20, 2007, 06:18 AM
Because I'm working on Tormishire.

BoyBach
Jun 20, 2007, 06:55 AM
I have the occasional Football Manager session on my Mac. That's about it.

The reasons why I don't play more on my iMac are:

I have other things to do
I've become completely disheartened at the lack of quality titles being released (all games, all systems)
I have a Wii, PS2 or the original Xbox for my gaming needs (when they arise)

Fender2112
Jun 20, 2007, 09:32 AM
I do not play A LOT of games because I am hooked on WoW. :D

raptor96
Jun 20, 2007, 09:56 AM
I do not play A LOT of games because I am hooked on WoW. :D

I don't play because the only game I did play was WoW and being gradumicated I need to find a job and take my grad school exams.

Vraiment dommage since I had just gotten BC and was at 62 with my main. Sniffle.

stillmaticshay
Jun 21, 2007, 09:23 PM
i have never been a huge computer gamer personally, always was into console and handheld gaming.

i was thinking of getting quake or ut for my intel based imac, now im not so sure.

think ill just wait and get ut when when comes out for ps3 sometime next year.

Peace
Jun 21, 2007, 09:29 PM
I play the same games on my Mac Pro that I played on my Windoze Box.

ReanimationLP
Jun 21, 2007, 10:18 PM
Because I will only have a 1 GHz Dual G4, which probably wont run most of todays games at all.

But, thats what my PC is for, espically with its Sony GDM-FW900 24" CRT driven by a Radeon X1950 Pro. :D

Cheesecake
Jun 22, 2007, 02:21 AM
I do game on it, but mostly on the windows partition. As for OS X, I have a few demos here and there to keep me busy if i'm in the middle of something and need a break but most of the time i'm just too busy doing other things to play a game.

dogbone
Jun 22, 2007, 03:27 AM
Because games are absolute brain numbing nonsense. There's more relaxing things to do in the real world like X-Plane, Starry Night, or even Studio Artist.

Smokedrop
Jul 13, 2007, 04:25 AM
I do play mac games...like I have allot dont play allot just have them. I have the old sims liven large, zoo tycoon with expansion, halo, warcraft 3 with expansion, backyard soccer, gameboy, iNES, Snes9x,wow,pac man2, and chess haha.....and no I didn't buy all them hahaha.:)

aidanpendragon
Jul 13, 2007, 09:39 AM
Because Aspyr does most of the ports, and they refuse to release non-bloated/non-Intel games anymore. My G4 1.42 w./1 Gig RAM, 64 MB Radeon 9600 has enough oomph on paper to run current releases (at least RTS/4X), but.... Civ IV? Bloated far beyond the PC version. Empire at War? Oh, it's Intel-only.

I bought & still play Rise of Nations, Civ 3 Complete, C&C Generals, etc., but the pubs seem content to ignore any future chance to get my money.

Mr.Fishy
Jul 13, 2007, 11:06 AM
There really ain't any games for the Macintosh and I am not a gammer.

Friends don't let friends use Windows.
:apple: Think Different

barr08
Jul 13, 2007, 11:52 AM
Because games are absolute brain numbing nonsense. There's more relaxing things to do in the real world like X-Plane, Starry Night, or even Studio Artist.

Flight sims are games...

Tom B.
Jul 13, 2007, 11:56 AM
Because I only have a 867Mhz 12" PowerBook G4. :o
But soon, MacBook Pro!

Also, StarCraft and WarCraft III are the only computer games I want to play. I have a Game Boy Micro, DS Lite, Wii, Xbox 360 and PS2 for everything else. :D

Ish
Jul 13, 2007, 12:47 PM
Too much to do . . . too much to do . . .

Anyway, if I played games I wouldn't have time to visit MR!

savar
Jul 13, 2007, 01:19 PM
Let's hear all of your reasons for why you don't play a lot of games on your mac. Apparently, my MB was not intended for gaming, at all. Here's mine: downloaded a small flash game (N, the one with the ninja) and after 30 seconds of play...

...because I own an Xbox 360.

-::ubermann::-
Jul 14, 2007, 05:57 PM
because macs hardware sucks

pc games are definitely my choice, because I play rts or fps, total war series, age of empires's, unreal tournaments's, quake's, call of duties... consoles aren't appropriate for that gaming

Tumeg101
Jul 15, 2007, 07:40 PM
I don't play a lot of games on my mac because, well... I don't have one:p

MUCKYFINGERS
Jul 16, 2007, 06:21 AM
I play both console and PC games, but Macs are just not made for gaming. Of course, you can run PC games on XP on Macs nowadays... but just as OS X users don't think using OS X on a x86 PC is 'authentic,' the same sort of thing could be said about using XP on a Mac.

And it is no surprise the majority of posters here who only own Macs will decry PC games as inferior to console games... It's fun to assume/generalize what you can't/don't have so you won't feel so bad.

barr08
Jul 16, 2007, 09:35 AM
And it is no surprise the majority of posters here who only own Macs will decry PC games as inferior to console games... It's fun to assume/generalize what you can't/don't have so you won't feel so bad.

Couldn't have said that better myself. I see that all the time when talking about this stuff.

Luckily, people with intel macs shouldn't have to do this any more :D

TEG
Jul 16, 2007, 05:11 PM
I own several games for my Mac, but I don't play them very often, as I have a hard time wasting time. I own Starcraft, but haven't played it since 2002. I have Star Trek: Elite Forces, but haven't played it since 2003. I have Unreal Tournament, but haven't played it since 2003.

The only game I play with any frequency is SimCity 4, but I don't play it often.

TEG

thejadedmonkey
Jul 16, 2007, 05:48 PM
IFirst and foremost, games don't have the same "feel" on my Mac; even when I hook up my PC keyboard and mouse.

I agree with you skinny, My Macbook pro's x600 (or whatever it is) is about a million times better then the 855GMA that was in my last laptop, but I'd LOVE to get my old comp back for games. The mouse doesn't react the same, the one button on the touchpad makes gaming HORRIBLE, and there's just something about the OS that makes me not want to play games on it, to the point where I'm considering building/buying a PC just for games.

DanB91
Jul 17, 2007, 12:59 AM
i used to play CoD and CoD:UO alot on my iBook, but since i got my PS3 and 360 i really dont do it anymore. i do have a pc that i use occasionally, only for gaming (pentium 4 1.4ghz 512 MB RAM, X1300 Pro 256mb). but i hate windows sooo much that i just dont use it that much. ( its just that im so used to mac os x i just hate switching to windows). and now that Gears of War (my favorite game) is coming to Mac, i'd like to see what else is in store for mac gaming this year. infact i hope to have a stevenote about games this year!

flappo
Jul 17, 2007, 11:24 AM
i played cod 2 and doom 3 on my tricked out mac pro , thought it was fairly impressive

then played a few games on a ps3 and realised what a total waste of dough it is playing games on a mac pro

:)

the ps3 WIPES the floor with the mac , really destroyed it 100%

haha

Richdmoore
Jul 24, 2007, 10:27 PM
I've purchase a macbook 3 weeks ago, and have started to play games on it. Since I know the macbook doesn't have the graphics chip to play any of the most recent games, I have been trying to convert my older pc games to play on the mac.

So far I've been able to convert Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Quake 1,2,3 to native osx intel programs. I was able to download a port, and simply drag the needed game files from the pc disc to the folder with the osx version, and they play great. (I never completed quake 1 or 2, since my newer computer ran to fast, and the older one didn't have a graphics chip back then.)

I was able to get PC unreal tournament and Return to Castle Wolfenstein working under parallels, UT worked with both software rendering and also with the OpenGL hardware mode,with full screen parallels mode, and ROTC worked fine out of the box under parallels.

I have been unsuccessful playing Command and Conquer, as I can't get it to stop crashing under parallels during startup.

If I ever expand the hard drive, I will try bootcamp, I think many more programs will run that way. I still have hope for more parallels games to run, but I have way more older games PC games than hard drive space.

Oh, and since I already own the games, the cost is right!

I have a PS2 I bought 2 years ago for gaming at home, and an aging pc that works for older games too.

joekix
Jul 24, 2007, 10:28 PM
i play scrabble all the time.

benpatient
Jul 25, 2007, 01:16 PM

Nope, just have to update to a new 360 with proper cooling hardware and a decent power supply!

/likes the 360, just taking an easy shot

CmdrLaForge
Jul 25, 2007, 03:09 PM
The reason for me is that I just don't have the anymore. I used to play a lot when I was younger.

risc
Jul 25, 2007, 03:21 PM
I prefer console games, I'd much rather play games on my PS3+HDTV.

contoursvt
Jul 25, 2007, 04:26 PM
No, it just shows how insanely bad the cooling is. You can only go as high as 100% cpu usage and EVEN if the flash player was at 100%, those numbers are very VERY unacceptable. This notebook was not made to be running heavy loads for long.

CANEHDN
Jul 25, 2007, 05:19 PM

But sitting on forums answering pointless questions is ok?

NickD
Jul 25, 2007, 07:07 PM
I'm more of a console person, like many others here. I do still play the occasional game of WC3 on my Mac though.

CJM
Jul 26, 2007, 02:20 AM
Never really been that interested in consoles... I admit, the latest offerings are quite nice, but the format they come in when I play them around my friend's houses is less than spectacular. For example, a friend who owns an Xbox 360, who plays it on an old 15" TV... Pretty pointless if you ask me.

So instead, I use my dual booting Mac for games. I don't play many; MMOs take up enough of my time and are sufficiently entertaining.

I've been playing a lot of Starcraft recently though, I can't stop myself! :o

Sure, I might buy a PS3 or Xbox if I had the spare cash for a nice HDTV to go with it, but I've never really liked the controllers much :P

azizane
Jul 26, 2007, 10:18 AM
i used to be a console guy myself about four years ago but i stopped playing game (well only played winning eleven occasionally with friends) and last year i got a macbook pro.

i started playing games again but this time on the mac, i played COD, COD:UO, COD 2, CC F4F and Quake 4. after a while i got bored with them so i said why not try bootcamp?

Now, I'm playing PC games on my mac and couldn't be happier! if it wasn't for my mac i don't think i would have played games again, so no more consoles for me.

-::ubermann::-
Jul 27, 2007, 12:28 PM
an Xbox360+HDTV kicks most PC asses in graphics
but have you tried playing a FPS on a console? they suck! PC are a lot better, in RTS also

torchwood04
Jul 28, 2007, 12:06 AM
I was able to get PC unreal tournament and Return to Castle Wolfenstein working under parallels, UT worked with both software rendering and also with the OpenGL hardware mode,with full screen parallels mode, and ROTC worked fine out of the box under parallels.

Have you ever tried the Mac OS X version (preview 3) of Unreal Tournament? I run it on my Intel Mac mini, and it runs great.

I used this http://www.veloffdesigns.com/utmac/index.asp
to convert my PC CD version to the mac version, but by the way, you need to get the data files from the installed UT folder, not from the CD like the site says.

motulist
Jul 28, 2007, 12:12 AM
2 applicable answers. 1) I don't play a lot of games because if I play a game once I can't NOT play a lot of games. i.e. I get very addicted to video games and if I start playing I won't get anything else done. 2) When I do play games I always play old console emulator games, so the games I play don't show up on sales charts.

Irishman
Jul 28, 2007, 11:19 AM
i used to play CoD and CoD:UO alot on my iBook, but since i got my PS3 and 360 i really dont do it anymore. i do have a pc that i use occasionally, only for gaming (pentium 4 1.4ghz 512 MB RAM, X1300 Pro 256mb). but i hate windows sooo much that i just dont use it that much. ( its just that im so used to mac os x i just hate switching to windows). and now that Gears of War (my favorite game) is coming to Mac, i'd like to see what else is in store for mac gaming this year. infact i hope to have a stevenote about games this year!

Well, I have an excuse. My Mac is 10 years old. I've got a PowerMac 8600/250. with 160 MB of RAM. That's right, 250 MHz PPC processor (pre-G-anything), 4 GB Ultra-SCSI (10 MB/sec transfer rate). Damn thing even has a Zip Drive in it! The upside is I was able to add video cards to it over the years 'cause I have 4 PCI slots onboard. When I got GLQuake, Quake 2 and Unreal, the 8 MB Power3D Voodoo card was enough to muscle through it. For a long while I was really loving accelerated Descent and Descent II, Shadow Warrior with its voodoo patch, FutureCop: LAPD and GL Doom.

Then, the newer 32-bit color games came along (Quake 3 Arena, and Descent III among others), and all of a sudden that Voodoo card wasn't cutting the mustard (single digit frame rates and all. So, I got a twofer - an ATI Radeon 7300 (32MB) card, and the Creative Labs Soundblaster LIVE! card for Mac when it came out. Boy were newer games purty on that 7300 (still are). Elite Force, Deus Ex, UT, QIIIA with its shiny and reflective surfaces, all had new life, but it didn't really make them more than barely playable. Especially Deus Ex which was my favorite of the bunch, especially in EAX sound.

All this time, OS X was making its appearance, and growing in acceptance as replacement for my venerable OS 9. All this time, fewer and fewer games were written for my older system software or older hardware. Before too long, I found myself further and further BELOW the system requirements of the games I wanted to play.

So, I considered my options - a new Mac, a processor upgrade via daughtercard, yet another video card upgrade. None of which were fitting into my budget. The processor upgrade cost was the hardest to justify. $400 to $700 for 10 fps extra? (I was pulling 12-20 as it was in QIIIA). Nah, a new Mac would be more reasonable. I find it hard to waste money.

So, then I decided at some point a few years back that I'd set a goal, a benchmark, if you will. I'd buy a new Mac when it was 10 times as fast as my current one. I played around with different standards by which to measure that, but eventually settled on sheer clock speed. 2.5 GHz was my new target.

Then I waited. And waited, and waited some more. Motorola and IBM PPCs seemed stuck at 500 MHz forever, then 1 GHz forever. Sigh. What the hell was up? The technoloy plateaus were killing me.

Then, came the news of the Intel switch. Well, maybe this would be the silver lining to my cloud. Intel chips has traditionally had higher clock speeds than PPCs. But I also knew two things. That even though higher clock speed is sometimes trumped by a superior architecture (RISC vs. CISC), I knew tat Apple's benchmarks were often skewed and reflected "Steve-O's Reality Distortion Field" (TM) as much as anything real.

So, then I waited. And read reviews. And, following the best tech purchase advice ever, I waited for revision 2.

Which brings us to now.

And you see the clock speeds on the mid-range Mac Pro dontcha? :)

Think it might have my name on it?

Jack Flash
Jul 28, 2007, 09:04 PM
Too many PC/Mac games are first person shooters and strategy games... genres I'm not particularly interested in.

DakotaGuy
Jul 28, 2007, 09:19 PM
I have a Wii and that is where I play games. For me it is much more intuitive and easier to control.