PDA

View Full Version : DRM free but not hassle free :(

joelovesapple
May 31, 2007, 07:25 AM
I have 14 downloads which are DRM free but none of them will download, or if they do, they get REALLY close to finish but just give up, but no error number. They just don't budge. Any ideas why this could be? Surely their server isn't still busy is it?

I have a crap broadband connection but this is no excuse. I paid for these but am having no end of trouble. For what I paid for this, I could have spent on something *material*.

Thanks for listenening anyway. I am tired because I didnt get to bed until 3AM GMT as I was overlooking my downloads to check for error messages:rolleyes: .

PlaceofDis
May 31, 2007, 07:27 AM
mine kept getting errors too. its probably because of everyone upgrading. while EMI's stuff is big, i'd imagine that a lot of people are upgrading very much the same stuff causing the lag. i just left all of mine paused and will try again this weekend. it wasn't worth the hassle. yeah i want the tracks, but its not like i don't have a copy of it already.

if anything this is good news for the other labels, shows that there is a lot of interest in it. :p

SilentPanda
May 31, 2007, 07:33 AM
Out of my 294 tracks I upgraded I have 5 that are stuck... not a huge deal (especially if they finish sometime this week) but still a minor annoyance.

Queso
May 31, 2007, 07:34 AM
Mine kept getting stuck on particular tracks. Re-starting iTunes reset the list so that different tracks were attempted, and they're now all safely in my library. I think it's because everybody is hammering the store so badly. By Saturday it'll be back to normal.

kevinliu4
May 31, 2007, 08:33 AM
I guess this is still one good thing about buying CDs.

Not that I choose to though...this is the only option I have.

synth3tik
May 31, 2007, 08:43 AM
It's all about the volume. On any day I may download say 10-15 songs. Right now I am downloading 356 (I could not believe I had that many songs that would go DRM free) Seeing from what others have posted I feel bad for those Xserves and those IT guys. The Servers are trying to keep up with the demand and the IT guys are busy trying to keep the servers running. I have a few that errored out. I will just try again later tonight when the traffic dies down.

Kaiser Phoenix
May 31, 2007, 09:12 AM
I have 14 downloads which are DRM free but none of them will download, or if they do, they get REALLY close to finish but just give up, but no error number. They just don't budge. Any ideas why this could be? Surely their server isn't still busy is it?

I have a crap broadband connection but this is no excuse. I paid for these but am having no end of trouble. For what I paid for this, I could have spent on something *material*.

Thanks for listenening anyway. I am tired because I didnt get to bed until 3AM GMT as I was overlooking my downloads to check for error messages:rolleyes: .

Yeah i get this but what i did was to just keep pressing that retry or refresh button to try again. 'Eventually' it will download. Worked for me anyway...:apple:

rushmere
May 31, 2007, 10:38 AM
I've got 68 songs to upgrade.

I've left iTunes running for over 18 hours so far, and it's only successfully downloaded the first 14.

I guess it'll finish eventually!

SilentPanda
May 31, 2007, 10:44 AM
If some are hanging, pause them so it will go to the next ones. Some servers are more bogged down than others and not all the servers hold all the songs. So if song A doesn't download, songs B-Z might.

I'm down to 2 songs not downloading at the moment...

joelovesapple
May 31, 2007, 11:00 AM
I am down to 10 from 139 so I'll try again later. Off to have dinner now though!:p :apple:

synth3tik
May 31, 2007, 11:13 AM
I just stopped mine. I'll just grab them later. It's not like I don't have the songs.

BulkHedd
May 31, 2007, 05:37 PM
I'm having a problem I haven't seen anyone mention. Not all of my songs are showing up to be upgraded. I'm talking about songs that now have iTunes+ versions available (like the Fatboy Slim Greatest Hits album).

RBMaraman
May 31, 2007, 05:45 PM
I can't even access the upgrades.

Whenever I click "Buy" on the upgrades page, a box pops-up saying "This item is no longer available."

Anyone else having this issue?

CptnJustc
May 31, 2007, 07:24 PM
Yep, also having the 'contents have changed' or whatnot error when trying to upgrade. And am I crazy, or can you not upgrade individual tracks / albums, just the whole collection?

WillJS
May 31, 2007, 08:09 PM
I had 6 upgradeable. :(

The Toon Master
May 31, 2007, 09:30 PM
Me too

fortunatly its only 2 though, and the tracks still work with normal versions..

HiRez
May 31, 2007, 11:29 PM
I have 160 purchased songs and according to the iTMS Store page not a single one of them is upgradable? How is that possible? Isn't there some way to tell by looking at the songs in your Library view?

polishmacuser
Jun 1, 2007, 02:38 AM
i wish you can upgrade individiually :(

mark476p
Jun 1, 2007, 04:11 AM
Does iTunes still keep track of the number of times songs are burned in a playlist?

Edit: This question is in regards to 128kb songs ($0.99).

thomasp
Jun 1, 2007, 04:31 AM
Sorry for a totally stupid question, but how do we actually upgrade our old DRM purchases to the higher quality DRM-free purchases?

I have upgraded iTunes, but am having a few problems accessing the store - either takes forever or just doesn't load.

mark476p
Jun 1, 2007, 04:38 AM
Sorry for a totally stupid question, but how do we actually upgrade our old DRM purchases to the higher quality DRM-free purchases?

I have upgraded iTunes, but am having a few problems accessing the store - either takes forever or just doesn't load.

1) After upgrading iTunes, enable iTunes Plus: View Account > Manage iTunes Plus > Click Checkbox

2) On your iTunes Store Home page, click iTunes Plus under Quick Links. From there, you will see an "Update My Library" feature.

Queso
Jun 1, 2007, 04:38 AM

Go to the Store's main page and look for the link that says iTunes Plus. If you have upgradable songs, it will tell you how many can be upgraded now in there.

thomasp
Jun 1, 2007, 04:40 AM
1) After upgrading iTunes, enable iTunes Plus: View Account > Manage iTunes Plus > Click Checkbox

2) On your iTunes Store Home page, click iTunes Plus under Quick Links. From there, you will see an "Update My Library" feature.

Go to the Store's main page and look for the link that says iTunes Plus. If you have upgradable songs, it will tell you how many can be upgraded now in there.

Thanks for the replies :) Now I've just got to wait for the server loads to die down to an extent where I can actually get onto the iTunes Store homepage!

Queso
Jun 1, 2007, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the replies :) Now I've just got to wait for the server loads to die down to an extent where I can actually get onto the iTunes Store homepage!
I can get into the main page fine. It's only when I attempt to preview songs that there's any issues with the connection. Are you on broadband or dial-up?

thomasp
Jun 1, 2007, 07:44 AM
I can get into the main page fine. It's only when I attempt to preview songs that there's any issues with the connection. Are you on broadband or dial-up?

I'm on 10Mbit up/down university LAN connection. iTunes Store usually works fine, and if I type something into the search box, I can get to the search page and listen to the preview songs, so I don't think it's a connection issue at my end.

Cooknn
Jun 1, 2007, 08:06 AM
I don't think it's a connection issue at my end.It's pretty obvious that Apple has intentionally crippled the DRM free functionality. Guess they aren't all that excited about it, eh?

Queso
Jun 1, 2007, 08:22 AM
It's pretty obvious that Apple has intentionally crippled the DRM free functionality. Guess they aren't all that excited about it, eh?
How do you mean, they've crippled it? :confused:

Cooknn
Jun 1, 2007, 08:33 AM
How do you mean, they've crippled it?Put the content on crap servers, or throttled the bandwidth... Anyone's guess. I should have said crippled the DRM free download functionality.

Queso
Jun 1, 2007, 08:43 AM
Put the content on crap servers, or throttled the bandwidth... Anyone's guess. I should have said crippled the DRM free download functionality.
I don't think it's a permanent thing. I don't know how tracks are allocated to servers at the iTMS, but if everyone is attempting to download the same popular artists and tracks at the same time, it's likely that a small number of iTMS servers are going to be completely hammered in the process. By tomorrow it should be settling down, although the next time one of the big five go DRM-free I suspect we'll end up with similar slowdowns.

PlaceofDis
Jun 1, 2007, 08:50 AM
my downloads went without a problem yesterday when i restarted them all. no errors. i'm still thinking that it was a rush of people slowing things down.

Queso
Jun 1, 2007, 09:12 AM
my downloads went without a problem yesterday when i restarted them all. no errors. i'm still thinking that it was a rush of people slowing things down.
Mine did that yesterday morning (UK time). I restarted iTunes and about 30 of the remaining 39 tracks downloaded within five minutes. Another restart finished the rest.

thomasp
Jun 1, 2007, 10:35 AM

I've finally been able to get onto the store, but half of the images are "broken".

I assume if I can't see an "Update My Library" link, I have no purchases that are now DRM-free? All I can see when I click on iTunes Plus is a Genre menu, "Top Albums", "What's Hot", "Top Songs" and "Featured Albums"

Edit:

Scrap that - the page has suddenly decided to start loading properly and I can see the button. Although the "Upgrade my Library" page refuses to load because an Unknown Error occurred.

SilentPanda
Jun 1, 2007, 10:42 AM
Put the content on crap servers, or throttled the bandwidth... Anyone's guess. I should have said crippled the DRM free download functionality.

That's absurd. A fair amount of people (maybe more than Apple was expecting even) are upgrading their tracks. There's an actual limit on the amount of files they can send out at a time and their network is probably just taking a beating. You've got a good amount of people downloading more songs that they've probably ever downloaded in one go before. Saying that they are intentionally limiting the amount of DRM free songs one can download is just silly.

The problem is more likely that all the DRM free EMI songs are on a few servers (compared to the whole store) and those few servers are being hammered. I downloaded 294 songs from iTunes Plus and it was only certain songs that wouldn't download (often times songs from the same album too) but the majority of them did download. Yesterday it finally finished up for me.

Jun 1, 2007, 11:34 AM
I am sure it is the servers not being able to handle the load. A lot of people know about the DRM-free songs and especially when their computer tells them there is an update on iTunes and what it is, they all started to download the new versions.

I remember it was impossible to even access my account for an entire week during Christmas as they were constantly busy.

Cooknn
Jun 1, 2007, 12:02 PM
That's absurd. A fair amount of people (maybe more than Apple was expecting even) are upgrading their tracks.God help us if they ever release Hi-Def movies :cool:

SilentPanda
Jun 1, 2007, 12:38 PM
God help us if they ever release Hi-Def movies :cool:

They'll probably ramp up their infrastructure for that. For a week of load it's not necessarily worth upgrading it... things will get back to normal soon... plus... by the time you start downloading they already have your money... :P

Fotek2001
Jun 1, 2007, 12:45 PM
They'll probably ramp up their infrastructure for that. For a week of load it's not necessarily worth upgrading it... things will get back to normal soon... plus... by the time you start downloading they already have your money... :P

Apple use Akamai for the iTS infrastructure and if they can't cope then no one can!

miTunes75
Jun 1, 2007, 09:48 PM
anyone still having issues? after telling me a whole SIX songs is upgradeable, 2 out of the 6 are still having drama.

Anyone still havin problems?

ScruffyTheMac
Jun 2, 2007, 12:26 AM
anyone still having issues? after telling me a whole SIX songs is upgradeable, 2 out of the 6 are still having drama.

Anyone still havin problems?

I still have a problem. I haven't upgraded anything, but purchased two new iTunes plus albums. One downloaded as expected. The other kept stalling on most tracks, including dialog boxes with a variety of error numbers. Eventually, stopping/restarting the downloads got me all but one track. That one track STILL won't download.

As test, this afternoon I 'purchased' every free item available in the store (about 4.6 G of TV shows). They all downloaded as expected using the full download bandwidth of my cable modem; completed in 2 hours with no errors or stalling. The stupid 9.6 meg iTunes plus song still won't download. Error 9006 after stalling for anywhere from five minutes to an hour.

KJdanReuben
Jun 2, 2007, 12:28 AM
I had like 172 songs to upgrade, mine has been running for 24 hours and i still have 162 to go. I keep getting Error 9006, whatever that is.

miTunes75
Jun 2, 2007, 10:28 AM
Things are flying for me this morning. Everyone else recovered okay?

joelovesapple
Jun 2, 2007, 10:37 AM
Yup, mine have all completed now.:) :apple:

I feel more confident in buying more new DRM free stuff now.

If only Hard-Fi were iTunes plus.:rolleyes:

thomasp
Jun 2, 2007, 11:04 AM
I'm still struggling to get onto iTMS at all. Hopefully when everybody's downloads are done the servers will be able to have a rest and I can get on!

ScruffyTheMac
Jun 2, 2007, 03:19 PM
My problematic track finally downloaded today. Store response still seems very slow, though. I think I won't be buying anything for a while . . . . .

joelovesapple
Jun 2, 2007, 03:34 PM
I want either Robbie Williams' Hits or a Seth Lakeman album. Thing is, both are in iTunes Plus format and going by what some people are saying here, what is best for me to do? Should I wait? Or go ahead with it?:cool:

Bodie
Jun 2, 2007, 07:08 PM
I had 8 songs that I could upgrade to DRM free. All but three downloaded fine. The three would stall and I'd finally get an error message. This morning (day 4) they downloaded fine. It was probably a traffic problem. One thing I did after each failed attempt was to go to user/music/itunes/itunes music and deleted the DOWNLOADS folder. That way, whenever I started up iTunes it would not automatically search for any incomplete downloads. Then I'd select the menu Store/Check For Purchases and a fresh download would start. Don't know if that made a difference but that's the way I did it. So thats my method and I'm sticking to it.:D

joelovesapple
Jun 2, 2007, 07:28 PM
I ended up getting Roxy Musics hits and it downloaded beautifully and sounded good too:D .

I never stop loving you, Apple.:apple:

ScruffyTheMac
Jun 2, 2007, 08:16 PM
I had contacted customer service about my problem; today I got this in an email:

I'm sorry you received an error (-9006) while downloading your upgraded iTunes Store titles. The error you received were caused by a temporary issue with the iTunes Store that should be resolved now. Please check the iTunes Store again. All features should be working well.

If by 'temporary' they mean two days, then yeah I guess so.

I'm still leery of buying new items or upgrading existing tracks. I'd like to see a few more success stories here before I bother. :)

miTunes75
Jun 2, 2007, 08:39 PM
Hey scuffy:

Temporary is probably not permanent. If there are issues with the store for the first couple of days, it makes perfect sense. I'm sure there are thousands if not hundreds and thousands of customers upgrading or purchasing for the first time the iTunes Plus media over the last couple of days. Could the complications been forseen? Probably. Maybe they weren't expecting such a response, who knows.

I say go for it. It has certainly cleared up for me. The store seems to be moving quickly for me at this point.

Good luck, dude.

Piarco
Jun 3, 2007, 07:06 AM
I had some issues around the pricing of a song - at least that was the warning I got when I attempted to upgrade my existing purchases. A little odd to say the least but I tried again today and all is well.

Whats more interesting that some more of my music seems now to be eligible for upgrade - 100% Columbian by the Fun Lovin' Criminals was able to be upgraded today, wereas on Wednesday it wasn't. I checked to see who was the record label in question, and it came up as Virgin Media... does this mean that iTunes has another label signed up, or are they an arm of EMI?