PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs's Black T-Shirt/Turtleneck

itcheroni
May 31, 2007, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know the brand of t-shirt/turtleneck Jobs always wears? I've been searching for the perfect t-shirt. If anyone knows, or if anyone knows of a really good black t-shirt, please share. I'm looking to simplify my wardrobe options.

KingYaba
May 31, 2007, 11:44 AM
Sounds like a new market for Apple.

Daveway
May 31, 2007, 11:46 AM
There was a thread a very long time ago that highlighted the exact same clothes he wore. I know he wears the Levi 501s. The black turtle neck is by a company that specializes in "executive" clothing, they also do cardigans and such.

Steve's turtleneck rang in somewhere around $600. So I hope your wallet is healthy.;)

cycocelica
May 31, 2007, 01:07 PM
Weren't turtle necks out of fashion years ago for men? I honestly can say I never see a man wearing a turtle neck.

JNB
May 31, 2007, 01:11 PM
He actually wears a mock turtle...

Yeah, you gotta be "of an age" to know the difference, I guess. *sighs*

Turkish
May 31, 2007, 01:24 PM
Amateurs.

Steve's Outfit (http://www.stevesoutfit.com/)

Cindynjgirl79
May 31, 2007, 02:05 PM
have we ever seen him in anything else besides the jean and the black mock turtle neck? pics please if you got them. i would really love to know what a $200 black shirt feels like, when it looks like u can get it at wal-mart for $5.

Abstract
May 31, 2007, 05:40 PM
Amateurs.

Steve's Outfit (http://www.stevesoutfit.com/)

I don't trust these website reports of Steve's clothes. There is no way to disprove how much he paid for his black shirt/turtlenecks since there are so many shirts that look like that. If you said it was a $500 shirt from whatever company, I couldn't disprove it, but you couldn't disprove that it wasn't a $10 shirt from Walmart.

The only way to find out where he got his shirt is if someone asked him in an interview.

itcheroni
May 31, 2007, 07:41 PM
There was a thread a very long time ago that highlighted the exact same clothes he wore. I know he wears the Levi 501s. The black turtle neck is by a company that specializes in "executive" clothing, they also do cardigans and such.

Steve's turtleneck rang in somewhere around $600. So I hope your wallet is healthy.;)

holy schmokes, i hope not. i just noticed his new balance sneakers from the recent interview and thought he might have similarly cheap shirts. but then again, if i were a rich guy, i wouldn't care how much or how little things costs, so my favorites things would probably vary that much.

AlBDamned
May 31, 2007, 08:22 PM
have we ever seen him in anything else besides the jean and the black mock turtle neck? pics please if you got them. i would really love to know what a $200 black shirt feels like, when it looks like u can get it at wal-mart for $5.

He wore a red shirt in an event last year following rumors about his health.

Hummer
May 31, 2007, 08:37 PM
The levis 501 are way overpriced on that site. On ebay they're going for around 30 bucks tops.

synth3tik
May 31, 2007, 08:42 PM
I have a Black French Connection U.K turtle neck and a pair of Levis that are rather close to what Steve has. Sadly the cloths and the graying of my hair was not meant to mimic Steve. It got to the point that I was being called Steve, people got confused if I wore it on any other day then Halloween. Wondering why I would dress up as Jobs. Honestly I didn't try too.

Cindynjgirl79
May 31, 2007, 08:49 PM
He wore a red shirt in an event last year following rumors about his health.

really? didn't hear about that. when was this?

ErikCLDR
May 31, 2007, 08:49 PM
I must say, watching his all things digital interview- black socks and white sneakers... what a "fashion faux paux" (sp?) as my mother would say

AlBDamned
Jun 1, 2007, 07:10 AM
really? didn't hear about that. when was this?

I can't remember what event it was, but it was about a year ago, may even have been WWDC '06, although I vaguely remember it being a special event.

siurpeeman
Jun 1, 2007, 07:38 AM
I can't remember what event it was, but it was about a year ago, may even have been WWDC '06, although I vaguely remember it being a special event.

he wore his usual getup at wwdc 2006. the only time i can recall him wearing red was his commencement speech at stanford.

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/gifs/grad_jobswalks.jpg

AlBDamned
Jun 1, 2007, 08:10 AM
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]he wore his usual getup at wwdc 2006. the only time i can recall him wearing red was his commencement speech at stanford.

It was at an Apple event. he was wearing a red shirt that was done up to the neck. may have been after WWDC then. If only iGary were here still, he'd remember in a shot.

SpookTheHamster
Jun 1, 2007, 01:03 PM
He wore a horrible leather jacket recently.

AlBDamned
Jun 2, 2007, 03:58 AM
Found it, but it wasn't a red shirt so my apologies. It was a black shirt (not turtleneck) that he wore at the Showtime event where he unveiled the :apple: TV (then introduced as the iTV), which was a few months after WWDC '06 where everyone thought he looked and sounded really ill. Pic below plus YouTube link here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTbdI2JYDEo).

Looking back on this now and given rumors of his health at the time, plus the fact that he's never worn anything but the turtleneck since, this black shirt and smarter appearance was something of a stockmarket statement.

Man am I sad for noticing stuff like this.

a456
Jun 2, 2007, 04:11 AM
His wardrobe must be hilarious.

Here is one with a white shirt and red tie from the old days:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/125024210_18ba8c2fc2_m.jpg

AlBDamned
Jun 2, 2007, 04:34 AM
can't beat the waistcoat either:

a456
Jun 2, 2007, 04:53 AM
can't beat the waistcoat either:

Nice. Good job Ives is in charge of design.

AlBDamned
Jun 2, 2007, 05:26 AM
Nice. Good job Ives is in charge of design.

Hmmm, regardless of his attire he was likely worth about $200 million by that stage (or was very close to being worth that). As such I doubt he gives a damn - then or now.

Dagless
Jun 2, 2007, 08:13 AM
Mad, I wear 501's. Used to have a white mock turtle jumper too, think I lost that in Barcelona for whatever reason!

Jun 2, 2007, 09:26 AM
I thought his mock turtleneck was from the Gap as he used to be their boss...

Thomas Veil
Jun 2, 2007, 10:06 AM
he wore his usual getup at wwdc 2006. the only time i can recall him wearing red was his commencement speech at stanford.

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/gifs/grad_jobswalks.jpgI don't really believe this photo is fake, but it does have a certain "overenhanced" quality that makes it look fake. It doesn't help that the guy standing in line behind Steve looks like Manuel Noriega. :D

i would really love to know what a $200 black shirt feels like, when it looks like u can get it at wal-mart for $5.I'm not a clothing elitist myself, but there damn well better be a difference in feel between a $200 shirt and a $5 Wal-Mart special!

Dagless
Jun 2, 2007, 10:18 AM
Part of me thinks it's all psychological. If you spend 120 on a shirt then you're going to feel proud of wearing it over a 5 one. Hell, after reading this thread I put on my 501's and desired to become a computer guru :p

You pay for slightly better quality, for brand name, for exclusivity. It seems!

chenboda
Aug 2, 2008, 08:19 PM
I read somewhere years back that he had a designer friend of his make him hundreds of the things. I can't remember the source but I do remember at the time it seemed credible, like maybe the fact was included in a Time or Newsweek story about the new half-melon lampy iMacs, or in one of the unauthorized biographies. It's been said he claims wearing the same thing every day leaves him more time to think. About stuff. His only other outfit is cargo shorts, a short sleeved t-shirt, and birks.

The repetitive wardrobe thing is said to be symptomatic of Asperger Syndrome. I've always taken it for granted Steve is an Aspie.

benmrii
Aug 2, 2008, 08:34 PM
I'm on the verge of sending the man a belt. Seriously, Steve... how can you tuck in a black shirt to light jeans and not throw a belt on there. :confused:

Gray-Wolf
Aug 2, 2008, 08:39 PM
Ben, its more casual that way. A belt would make it all formal. Besides, if the pants don't fall, why belt them :rolleyes:

chenboda
Aug 3, 2008, 12:23 AM
Speaking of snug high-waisted jeans with the shirt tucked in, I was just watching a 1996 episode of Seinfeld. Those were the days.

Iscariot
Aug 3, 2008, 12:40 AM
I wonder, when he retires, will he start dressing like a grown up?

dukebound85
Aug 3, 2008, 12:43 AM
Ben, its more casual that way. A belt would make it all formal. Besides, if the pants don't fall, why belt them :rolleyes:

for looks.

i cant imagine having a tucked shirt without using a belt personally. otherwise it just looks well funny i think

benmrii
Aug 3, 2008, 12:53 AM
for looks.

i cant imagine having a tucked shirt without using a belt personally. otherwise it just looks well funny i think

Yes... tacky. I don't know much about fashion, but there are a few rules that I do know:

1) Always wear a belt unless wearing suspenders.
2) Don't wear suspenders.
3) Match belt color to shoe color.
4) Belt is an absolute must if the shirt is tucked in.

bvasquez
Oct 21, 2010, 12:35 AM
www.stevesoutfit.com

laketri
Jun 13, 2011, 10:53 PM
I don't really believe this photo is fake, but it does have a certain "overenhanced" quality that makes it look fake. It doesn't help that the guy standing in line behind Steve looks like Manuel Noriega. :D

I'm not a clothing elitist myself, but there damn well better be a difference in feel between a $200 shirt and a $5 Wal-Mart special!

OK if you look in the yellow and purple circled area (i used :apple:works to do that and I'm not very experienced) you can tee his black tee and if you look you can obviously see that no one in that pic is looking at him like "OMFG it's Steve Jobs" and his hands are not in his usual position you see him in at WWCDs and such

M1k3G
Oct 12, 2011, 08:10 AM
If anybody is still looking, this is the link to the company that produces Steve's turtleneck.

http://www.stcroixshop.com/stcroix/

Not sure if I like it enough to pay $175 though :confused:

Hexiii
Oct 12, 2011, 08:13 AM
iShirt