PDA

View Full Version : Smart Playlist ideas

jnagel
Jun 1, 2007, 05:10 PM
I've been thinking about some additions I'd like to make to my collection of smart playlists lately, and I've run into a wall implementing them.

1) I'd like to be able to use either a smart playlist or applescript to collect my top albums (by playcount); I'm pretty confident that this cannot be done using smart playlists alone, and I have VERY limited applescript experience.

2) Is there anyway to make a playlist like "Top 25 Songs of 2006", by playcount? I know that I can make a smart playlist that will tell me the top rated songs that I played between such and such date, but that just uses the overall playcounts. I want to know how many times I played "Funeral" by Arcade Fire between Jan 1 and Dec 31, 2006. My guess is that iTunes does not track this but I was wondering if there was a way I could implement it for future use.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 1, 2007, 05:17 PM
1) You can use iTunes Statistician (http://www.etherealsw.net/index.php?pid=2&sid=7) to find your top rated albums, and double-clicking any song, artist or album will (open iTunes and) play your selection...

2) Have no idea...

swiftaw
Jun 1, 2007, 05:21 PM
2) Is there anyway to make a playlist like "Top 25 Songs of 2006", by playcount? I know that I can make a smart playlist that will tell me the top rated songs that I played between such and such date, but that just uses the overall playcounts. I want to know how many times I played "Funeral" by Arcade Fire between Jan 1 and Dec 31, 2006. My guess is that iTunes does not track this but I was wondering if there was a way I could implement it for future use.

I'm pretty sure iTunes only stores the last time the song was played, so this probably isn't possible.

jnagel
Jun 1, 2007, 06:54 PM
I'm pretty sure iTunes only stores the last time the song was played, so this probably isn't possible.

Yeah that's what I figured; I suppose there is a way I can track that from outside iTunes but I guess its not important enough to be worth it to me.

keyshawn
Jun 9, 2007, 09:09 PM
#2 - That is a really cool idea. I would like to see something like this as well. :cool:

You could make a smart playlist that would see what songs you played the most in 2006, but it would be limited to songs added after Jan. 1, 2006.