PDA

View Full Version : Just got a PS2 for 30 bucks. Now I need advice

bobber205
Jun 2, 2007, 01:17 PM
Yeah. It came with Ratchet and Clank, some dumb ATV game, the network adapter, and two controllers. for 30 bucks.

So now I need to know how I can set it up in my room using a VGA CRT monitor.

Advice appreciated!

gloss
Jun 2, 2007, 01:22 PM
They used to make VGA Boxes for the Dreamcast, but I don't know if something similar is available for the PS2.

mkrishnan
Jun 2, 2007, 01:25 PM
It seems like it's actually somewhat complicated :(

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/39309975/m/568007502831

bobber205
Jun 2, 2007, 01:32 PM
That sucks. And here I thought it was going to be easy. :mad:

Would this do the trick?
http://www.xploder.net/products/161/Xploder-VGA-Adaptor-for-PS2-.htm

zap2
Jun 2, 2007, 03:44 PM
I just got one today for 40...could I gotten it for less, but some kid was looking at it, so I went for a quick buy, and gave him the price. I got GTA and Bully..only one controller...I'm off today to pick up some games.

I also got 2 working intellivisions! And tons of games for them for 15(plus a NES Zapper and 3 NES games)

Got to love yard sales! Also found a family who is selling some Sega systems next week...needless to say I'll be going back to get them(the lady said he son had 3!! I'm hoping for a Master System..and maybe some weird add ons...or Saturn for NiGHTS..but anything Sega would be nice!)

bobber205
Jun 2, 2007, 03:59 PM
Lol. What a nice coincidence. :D

I just need to get something I can play it on. :rolleyes:

Dagless
Jun 2, 2007, 04:01 PM
I'd love a cheap PS2. They're going for 90 here second hand ($180 to you folks). Which is grossly over what they're worth. Plus when the laser goes I won't feel as bad if I spent a tiny amount.

sb58
Jun 2, 2007, 04:12 PM
am i the only person who bought a ps2 when they came out? :P

psycoswimmer
Jun 2, 2007, 04:18 PM

I bought mine last April, wasted a ton of money, used it for 2 months, and its been sitting there since. :)

Shotgun OS
Jun 2, 2007, 04:21 PM

I got one the week they came out. With the whole 'won't read blue dics/dvds' crap. :(

kalisphoenix
Jun 2, 2007, 04:21 PM
EyeTV Hybrid?

Dagless
Jun 2, 2007, 04:50 PM

I got one when MGS2 came out (was it launch? I can't remember) but I didn't like the game or anything already out or coming out. So I sold it and only lost a few quid.

bobber205
Jun 2, 2007, 05:20 PM
Ok. I think I may have found a relatively free solution.

We have one of those old G3's. The ones before the iMacs that had every input known to man? :D It has the yellow,white,red both IN and OUT, and what looks and is labled S-Video IN and OUT. (do they have different plugins for in and out)?

Pics are what the back looks like. I know they're a little blurry. my question is how do I use this to hook up the ps2 to? :)

Thanks for any help.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r248/bobber205/PICT3992.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r248/bobber205/PICT3993.jpg

apfhex
Jun 2, 2007, 05:39 PM
Wow, was that an add on I wonder... don't remember G3's coming with those ports.

I guess if you have input ports, go ahead an give it a try. The yellow is a composite video port, the red/white are stereo audio ports. Then S-Video. The PS2 normally comes with a composite video cable with audio (Yellow Red White). You're PS2 came with that cable, right?

applekid
Jun 2, 2007, 05:54 PM
Some kind of video editing program that can use those ports.

iMovie might be worth a shot.

I wonder if Mac OS X even recognizes those ports. Those same ports are on some video cards, but I don't know what program they require to get actual video on your screen.

I was going to say you need a video upscaler of some kind if you wanted hook up your PS2 via VGA. I have a NextVision N6 on my desk that I use for all of my consoles hooked up to my Samsung LCD.

bobber205
Jun 2, 2007, 07:33 PM
I don't have imovie for OS X. Does vlc support it? Any ideas?

bobber205
Jun 2, 2007, 10:30 PM
Well it works. :D

I used the old "Apple Video Player" for OS 9 and as soon as I plugged it in, the video came up. lol!

But I don't have any sound, which sucks. Any suggestions why the red and whites aren't working?

bobber205
Jun 2, 2007, 11:37 PM
Update:

Got the sound working. Turns out you have to go the control panel, make sure nothing is using the source, and select RCA Stereo/Sound.

Boom! It's working. Go Apple! :D

Wtf does this computer have all this awesome inputs/outputs? This computer must have been uber expensive back in the day (we got it for 25 dollars)

FadeToBlack
Jun 2, 2007, 11:43 PM
Man, that is just awesome.

bobber205
Jun 3, 2007, 12:09 AM
Yeah. The video quality is pretty good too. :D

I never expected this to work but hey! Good luck huh?

Nermal
Jun 3, 2007, 08:49 PM
My beige G3 certainly didn't have all those inputs, but I think that I recall an optional add-on (ie. not third-party).

Now, can someone figure out a way to use my PS2 on my MBP screen? :p

As a side note, a friend was around this weekend and he has an LCD attached to his PS2. It also has internal speakers. If I recall correctly, it's from a company called Joytech.

Chaszmyr
Jun 3, 2007, 09:01 PM
Now, can someone figure out a way to use my PS2 on my MBP screen? :p

It's quite easy. El Gato products... The cheapest one of their products that you can use is the EyeTV Hybrid, but there's also EyeTV 250.

Nermal
Jun 3, 2007, 09:36 PM
$450 for an EyeTV?! Forget it. (That's for the 250, I can't find the Hybrid in NZ).

ReanimationLP
Jun 3, 2007, 10:09 PM
I have a Kworld 1440 VGA box for this.

Got it from Newegg for 65 bucks. Has composite, S-Video, and Component, and the quality is excellent. It also works as a TV tuner.

It works great on my 800x600 27" Gateway Destination computer monitor that has no other inputs other than VGA (Those cheeky bastards)

That Xploder cord is junk. You need the expensive $40 dollar software to make it work, and it doesnt work with all the games.

chadi
Jun 3, 2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah. The video quality is pretty good too. :D

I never expected this to work but hey! Good luck huh?

Last time I tried doing something like this I used my ATI AIW composite hookup to play my PS2 (i actually had 2 of them the week they came out...the day they came out I got the one and the other came after...long story). Anyway it worked but it 'shook'. The screen was shaking enough to give me a headache so that ended that and I got a tv (which was smaller then my 22" monitor at the time *sigh*.)

Glad it's working for you, doesn't sound like you are experiencing 'shaking' either.

ps. nice avatar but Urd > Skuld ...unless your a lolicon maybe hahahaha.:D

bobber205
Jun 3, 2007, 10:39 PM
Lolicon? lmao

Not really. She's just adorable. :D

And the episode where she's 20 is almost too much for a Skuld fan to handle. ;)