Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Starting in the middle of last week, I was unable to access the MacRumors forums or the daily poll on the main page when on the wireless network at home (the connection times out after sixty seconds). I'm using a Belkin wireless router with WEP enabled and DHCP disabled. I have a 12" iBook with AirPort and I'm using Safari 1.0.

I don't think that it's related to Safari because for the first couple of days that I had Safari 1.0, it worked fine. Furthermore, I can access the polls and forums just fine at the office where I use a wired Ethernet connection.

Any ideas?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
what error or problem happens?

page won't load? or there is a specific error?

arn

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
It just doesn't load. I click on the link, and the status bar says "Connecting to forums.macrumors.com..." Sixty seconds later, an error message pops up that says "Couldn't connect to forums.macrumors.com after trying for sixty seconds."

In short, the page simply won't load.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Maybe your ISP is faulty or there is something obstructing your connection to the airport. Does it happen when your computer is right next to your airport?

scem0

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Nothing's wrong with the AirPort connection. If there were, then I wouldn't be able to use the Internet at all. Not sure about the ISP angle, but I doubt it.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
It just doesn't load. I click on the link, and the status bar says "Connecting to forums.macrumors.com..." Sixty seconds later, an error message pops up that says "Couldn't connect to forums.macrumors.com after trying for sixty seconds."
Every once in a while I get these messages too, but I think that its just my ISP, and part of dial-up.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Well, I went ahead and pinged forums.macrumors.com and got no reply. I did a traceroute to the same address, and the traceroute never got past my DSL modem. Very peculiar indeed. Has anybody got any ideas?

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
More information on the problem:

The iMac that's hooked up to the same wireless router via an Ethernet cable also cannot connect to forums.macrumors.com. I was wondering if maybe the forums uses a different port that I need to unblock in the router. At any rate, if nobody has any idea what the deal is, that's cool. I'll just have to check the forums at work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.