PDA

View Full Version : Is 6th gen worth waiting for?

dominicansrul93
Jun 3, 2007, 08:27 PM
Right now I have a 2GB Nano. its almost completely full and i really need a bigger iPod.The problem is that i don't know when the 6th gen iPod is goin to be released. If the 6th is goin to be released during the summer or in WWDC then i can hang on and wait. If not then I ill probably have full ipod for a while. If it is goin to be released later on in the year, is it worth waiting for?:confused:

xfiftyfour
Jun 3, 2007, 08:31 PM
That's up to you. Nobody knows when the 6th gen will be released, what it'll look like, or what new features will be introduced. If you're happy with the current gen and you really need more space, buy now and be pleased. Otherwise, wait.

Personally, I predict a new iPod late this year - in time for Christmas sales. But that's not based on any actual fact, so I wouldn't hold your breath. I really don't see one coming out before then, though, because it would compete against iPhone sales. Just my $.02.

MovieCutter
Jun 3, 2007, 08:40 PM
Given what we've seen of the iPhone, I'd say the 6th Gen iPod is likely going to be the most dramatic generation we've ever seen the iPod go into. I'm with xfiftyfour on the fact that we'll likely see it before the holiday season. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a special event in late September/early October like we've seen the last two years. This will be an iPod for the ages.

mrat93
Jun 3, 2007, 10:10 PM
About now, you can probably get an older full sized model with the money you can get for your 2gb Nano.

cyberone
Jun 4, 2007, 05:35 AM
i guess apple will first push the iphone as the 6th generation ipod.

after a few months there will be an upgrade with touchscreen and all the bells and whistles.

just bought an 80 gb ipod two weeks ago. dont wanna miss all the audiobooks and stuff i listened to so far!

if you need it now, buy it now.

if not, not.

Mord
Jun 4, 2007, 05:54 AM
Unless you ~really~ want video capability which isn't even guarenteed just get one now, or just get an old 4g ipod from ebay on the cheap to tide you over.

hatcher146
Jun 4, 2007, 09:55 PM
do you think the 6g iPod will have wifi capabilities...no email and no phone...but wifi-just to search the web? because if so, i am sold. the iPhone is cool in all its glory but 8gb isnt gonna cut it but if a 80 gb touchscreen like iPhone iPod came out with wifi...im all on it! so do you think the 6G iPod will have web capabilites or strictly a music player?

xfiftyfour
Jun 4, 2007, 10:44 PM
do you think the 6g iPod will have wifi capabilities...no email and no phone...but wifi-just to search the web? because if so, i am sold. the iPhone is cool in all its glory but 8gb isnt gonna cut it but if a 80 gb touchscreen like iPhone iPod came out with wifi...im all on it! so do you think the 6G iPod will have web capabilites or strictly a music player?
Honestly, no one knows. Maybe after the iPhone has been released we'll start hearing some rumors about the new iPod, but even then they're just that: rumors. Is it possible? Of course. But it's way too early for anyone here to be able to tell you whether it's likely or not.

Dagless
Jun 5, 2007, 01:59 PM
One thing is pretty much a certainty - the top end 6th Gen iPod (or even a 5th Gen revision) will house a 100gb HDD.

It's hard to say if its worth waiting for. I bought the 80gb model for 200 from Amazon a short while ago, realising my iTunes had quite a bulky collection of videos. I honestly can't see where they're going to go either. I've said before but I seriously doubt we'll see an iPhone style iPod for a while. No doubt a fullscreen 'pod is coming though. My guess?

Slightly enhanced design of 5G. 100gb. Direct Apple Remote compatibility. Video resolution and bitrate ceiling raised. Backlit wheel icons. Possible BT/WiFi for syncing contacts, wirelessly exchange pictures (not music or video). Typical longer battery life etc...

magicjames92
Jun 5, 2007, 02:39 PM
im waiting, im using a mini, with no way to show off the vids i make with final cut! but im still waiting for the new ones.

iToaster
Jun 5, 2007, 05:48 PM
That 6 Gen. iPod should kick butt, the problem is that with a large touch screen and HD, there will be a little issue with battery life. I'd love to see wifi in an iPod, but it reamins a mystery... darn it time, let me go where I want to.

holamiamigos
Jun 5, 2007, 06:10 PM
my guess is in november for the sixth gen

weeman
Jun 5, 2007, 07:33 PM
I would say go ahead and get one of the ones now. If there are a lot of new features with the next ipod, there are most likely gonna be a few problems with them. That, and the fact that they wont be out for a while.

rockthecasbah
Jun 5, 2007, 08:54 PM
I'm still debating about waiting for one. I had a 5th gen 60GB iPod, but the guys that recovered my car (i was in a car accident early last week) likely stole my iPod for a few reasons.. needless to say im short of one and now have a check from my aunt to get a new iPod of choice. I want to wait because i now have the chance to upgrade to what should be some amazing tech, but i also don't think i want to wait months and months for something that may not be THAT great...

I know the 5th is a good piece of tech so i may just buy a refurbed 80GB from Apple.com, especially since feel like the iPod college deal is to reduce stock in anticipation of a new release, but that also suggests i'd have to wait until AT LEAST September since those deals go through the summer...

6G iPods are enticing but im not sure the wait is worth months since i am now iPodless :(

TimJim
Jun 5, 2007, 08:59 PM
im in the same situation, im gonna wait it out because i dont wanna get one now and then have the 6th gen come out and be sick.

i it will come out after the iPhone i think.

SandersHokie
Jun 5, 2007, 09:50 PM
im in the same situation, im gonna wait it out because i dont wanna get one now and then have the 6th gen come out and be sick.

i it will come out after the iPhone i think.

i am close to buying the 80 GB ipod now so I can fit all of my music on it. but then like you said, i don't want to get one now and then a few months down the road the 6th gen comes out.

rockthecasbah
Jun 6, 2007, 09:52 AM
ive decided to wait until the 6G comes out but in the meantime i will probably buy a refurbed shuffle for $49 or Nano 2GB for $109, though since im buying a full size iPod i may just cheap out and go shuffle...

TimJim, it will definitely come out after iPhone, i don't see them updating until at least September since the College iPod deal is a way of reducing their stock over the summer so not too many last gens are piled up... that may be something to consider if you're waiting. I'd love a WWDC surprise release but my gut and business sense just says otherwise...:(

Vinnie_vw
Jun 6, 2007, 10:34 AM
I think a dynamic like the Macbook vs. the MBP will start to happen. iPhone will get all the cool features and iPod will be sort of cool. In my eyes, that means that a full-screen pod is on the way, but probably it won't support any extra connectivity than the old ones, nor much more in functionality, except a nice big screen.

Time-wise, who knows? I didn't expect MBP updates so soon after the new Macbooks. Just before xmas would be a good time for some sort of iPod-update and a reasonable amount of time to not cannibalize iPhone-sales.

psychofreak
Jun 6, 2007, 10:53 AM
I'm waiting for 6G, the iPod pales in comparison to the features shown in the iPhone...and I trust this 'blown away' statement :)

MattG
Jun 6, 2007, 11:36 AM
I'd say so. I've got an iPod Photo 60gb that I've been just itching to upgrade, but nothing significant enough has come out for me to spend the money. I'm hoping 6G will be like an iPhone, only without the phone and greater capacity. If that's the case, then I'm sold.

rockthecasbah
Jun 6, 2007, 07:29 PM
I'd say so. I've got an iPod Photo 60gb that I've been just itching to upgrade, but nothing significant enough has come out for me to spend the money. I'm hoping 6G will be like an iPhone, only without the phone and greater capacity. If that's the case, then I'm sold.

No phone, but do you think it will be like the iPhone in that it has internet capabilities over just plain WiFi? I think THAT would be awesome, giving the iPod another 'killer app' type of feature for the next few months until competition emulates it. I really hope the 6G is iPhone-like with a big capacity, cool screen effects/quality, and stuff like same good user interface and hopefully good battery life... it can't be too perfect though that's not Apple-like :rolleyes:

dominicansrul93
Jun 7, 2007, 01:52 AM
Well I guess Im gonna wait until the new one. I dont really need the wifi and all those things. All i would like is the new touchscreen and the iPhone interface and stuff like coverflow.

intempo808
Jun 7, 2007, 12:13 PM
Ok,
Im a 15 year old, A*/+ (depending upon where in the world you come from) business stuides student. I have done 2 pieces of my GCSE coursework on Apple and the iPod and its blaitantly obviouse that the 6th Generation iPod will feature a multi-touch widescreen screen. I mean think about it. Apple has already achieved this with the iPhone along with full screen videos and widescreen iPod capabilities. Apple is bound to incorporate these into the 6th Generation iPod.

Now, im 15, and even I can tell that, so stop umming and ahhhing... its sooo unbelievably obvious!:D

chaos86
Jun 7, 2007, 12:53 PM
Now, im 15, and even I can tell that, so stop umming and ahhhing... its sooo unbelievably obvious!:D

Ok, so you've shown some logic: apple has the work already done in making a full touch screen ipod.

But that doesn't mean anything. Here's my logic. If apple releases a $300 ipod with most of the coolness of the iPhone (let's say, full screen, video, coverflow, wifi, web, etc, no phone), then why would people buy the iPhone? I'm not going to buy the iPhone for over $200 more just because its a phone too. I can buy a Phone for a lot less than $200. It's logical to think that Apple will cripple the next iPods, make them less than they possibly can be, so that they don't compete with the iPhone. Even if the iPod doesnt have the web functionality, more than $200 difference (I say more than because of the contract) is way too much for me.

Come back with some manufacturing orders or some photos of devices being tested or some references in deep in some itunes update that proves it, otherwise I'm not holding my breath. I think we'll see updates soon, just not web or phone, and maybe not even full touchscreen.

thekiller
Jun 7, 2007, 02:00 PM
my guess is 6th gen iPod in november (before christmas season)

yetanotherdave
Jun 7, 2007, 02:09 PM
Ok, so you've shown some logic: apple has the work already done in making a full touch screen ipod.

But that doesn't mean anything. Here's my logic. If apple releases a $300 ipod with most of the coolness of the iPhone (let's say, full screen, video, coverflow, wifi, web, etc, no phone), then why would people buy the iPhone? I'm not going to buy the iPhone for over $200 more just because its a phone too. I can buy a Phone for a lot less than $200. It's logical to think that Apple will cripple the next iPods, make them less than they possibly can be, so that they don't compete with the iPhone. Even if the iPod doesnt have the web functionality, more than $200 difference (I say more than because of the contract) is way too much for me.

Come back with some manufacturing orders or some photos of devices being tested or some references in deep in some itunes update that proves it, otherwise I'm not holding my breath. I think we'll see updates soon, just not web or phone, and maybe not even full touchscreen.

Yeah, I can see Apple crippling their best seller ever (iPod) for the iPhone.
An iPod with touchscreen/widescreen photos video, music only =/= iphone with web, music video touchscreen, email chat etc etc etc. The R&D gone into multitouch etc needs to be spread over "new bet" (iPhone) and a "dead cert" (iPod) to lessen the risk.

Draythor
Jun 7, 2007, 05:31 PM
Right now I have a 2GB Nano. its almost completely full and i really need a bigger iPod. The problem is that i don't know when the 6th gen iPod is going to be released. If the 6th is going to be released during the summer or in WWDC then i can hang on and wait. If not then I ill probably have full iPod for a while. If it is going to be released later on in the year, is it worth waiting for?:confused:

Same situation, 1st Gen iPod Nano. I'm holding out, I recently replaced, the screen front panel and battery in it. So it's holding out for the time being.
I filled my iPod ages ago. I have a 12GB Library. (too many ripped movies & TV shows!)It breaks down to about 6GB Music 2GB Podcasts and 4GB Movies, TV shows & Music Videos.
The point being I'm waiting on a 6G iPod if it has multi-touch or something else revolutionary.

Unless you ~really~ want video capability which isn't even guarenteed just get one now, or just get an old 4g ipod from ebay on the cheap to tide you over.

You must be kidding! Not guaranteed? Only if Apple plan to crash and burn. But then I suppose that really would be going with their slogan "Think Different, Have no customers"

JesterJJZ
Jun 8, 2007, 05:32 AM

You've been itching? I'm still on my 1st gen 10gig. Literally had to give it CPR and slam it into the ground to keep it running. My drive is toasted. Makes funny sound whenever I plug it in to the charger or computer. Just gotta hold out a little longer. :(

AppleMan101
Jun 8, 2007, 06:35 AM
Ok,
Im a 15 year old, A*/+ (depending upon where in the world you come from) business stuides student. I have done 2 pieces of my GCSE coursework on Apple and the iPod and its blaitantly obviouse that the 6th Generation iPod will feature a multi-touch widescreen screen. I mean think about it. Apple has already achieved this with the iPhone along with full screen videos and widescreen iPod capabilities. Apple is bound to incorporate these into the 6th Generation iPod.

It's a shame you didn't learn how to spell for your GCSEs, and please remember that GCSEs are worth jack.

Back on topic; Apple are indeed a long time "overdue" for the next generation of iPod, I'm quite interested to see what they can pull out of their collective sleeves. I have two dead iPods (1st gen. Shuffle and a 4th gen. 20GB) on my hands and have resorted to recording music onto cassettes for the car, very 90s I know. I think I can put up with it until the Autumn, so I hope the new ones will have started shipping by then.

savar
Jun 8, 2007, 09:57 AM

Exactly...the iPhone is $500-600. The iPod is $250-350. That's a big difference. I don't think people are going to want their iPod prices jacked up again.

The only plausible scenario I see is some iphone technology coming to the iPod, but the two remain distinct enough that Apple doesn't cannibalize their own sales. Still...I can't imagine what that iPod would like. One you put the big screen and the multitouch onto the ipod...the iphone doesn't seem to add much. Unless the iphone is restricted to run fewer applications or something like that -- but that doesn't sound like Apple's style.

It's really confusing. I wish I had a better idea what they were going to do. I want a new iPod since my last 5G got stolen, but I'm not sure I want to shell out for a 5.5 if a 6 is around the corner.

bottleddissent
Jun 8, 2007, 11:39 AM
my guess is 6th gen iPod in november (before christmas season)

But has apple ever released a product right in time for Christmas? Macworld is right after christmas and it's always (to me) seemed that only the mac elite (us) are smart enough to know to wait for that. It screwed me over once, but it never will again...

PSPFourLife
Jun 8, 2007, 12:01 PM
If you need a new iPod now, just go ahead and get it. I was kind of "blah" back in March when I bought my very first iPod. I thought I should wait and that there was some sort of announcement coming out. Well, nothing happened. So, I went ahead and bought it. I'm very happy with my purchase. I've never had a problem with my iPod.

So, I say just go ahead and buy a new iPod. It's pointless to wait when you already like what you've been given (since you already have a 2GB, you know how a new one will be).

dominicansrul93
Jun 8, 2007, 02:15 PM
If you need a new iPod now, just go ahead and get it. I was kind of "blah" back in March when I bought my very first iPod. I thought I should wait and that there was some sort of announcement coming out. Well, nothing happened. So, I went ahead and bought it. I'm very happy with my purchase. I've never had a problem with my iPod.

So, I say just go ahead and buy a new iPod. It's pointless to wait when you already like what you've been given (since you already have a 2GB, you know how a new one will be).

I agree but its just that I always get something before its replaced and I want to have something that just came out for once. When I got my 1st gen nano, shortly after the new color ones were released. I dont want that to happen again.

mcoe19
Jun 8, 2007, 07:38 PM
I reckon it wont have any extra features to what it has now. It'll be same as the iPod section of the iPhone. No other features but bigger capacity, maybe still flash though to save battery

ddk121
Jun 9, 2007, 06:23 AM
Just one quick simple question, what are the chances of it being released on monday?

arcadehj2000
Jun 9, 2007, 08:54 AM
what most are saying right now is that apple has the potential to make an iphone-like ipod, but because of the competition there might be between the iphone and ipod, theyre gonna hold back. I agree that theyre gonna hold back but not that much. apple isnt going to be willing to let ipod sales drop just so that they can get a few more iphones sold.

psychofreak
Jun 9, 2007, 08:56 AM
Just one quick simple question, what are the chances of it being released on monday?

Mmm...I think its about 50/50...

Remember that outside of the US, the iPhone won't come for a while, and so us UKers will have been stuck with the same stuff for a LONG time...

dominicansrul93
Jun 9, 2007, 01:13 PM

Now not only I want in on monday. My friends sister's iPod nano(1st Gen) broke. She needs it before wednesday of next week because she is going to the Dominican Republic until the end of summer. If its not released on monday shes going to have to get a current video.

rockthecasbah
Jun 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
Mmm...I think its about 50/50...

Remember that outside of the US, the iPhone won't come for a while, and so us UKers will have been stuck with the same stuff for a LONG time...

i'd say much less than 50/50...

Let's be realistic here for a minute. Apple just started the College-iPod freebie and/or discount thing which carries through the summer. Many people likely upgrade to get merely a discount of a fullsize iPod. This means that Apple can sell off a lot of the remaining stock they have of iPod 5th gens that didn't sell. That is very beneficial to reducing stock so i don't think Apple would pass that up. Also considering the new iPods were released last September (i think), they may release a similar time frame yet again.

While i'd love a new iPod Monday, especially since i NEED one, i just don't see a 6th gen release until Summer's end :(

w_parietti22
Jun 9, 2007, 07:26 PM
I really hope it comes out on Monday, but we all kow thats probably not going to happen because it will take away from iPhone hype. Although, the laptops were just updated, the iMacs are said to probably be updated sometime after, and we've already seen most of leopard so I dont know what Steve is going to do for 1.5 hours.

Hopefully sometime this summer. My Nano broke and my parents said that I could order a new iPod so I decided to wait. Im ordering it the second it is released.