PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Airlines Flight 3050 crashes in Oakland

skoker
Jun 3, 2007, 11:25 PM
Nosegear broke upon landing:

June 3, 2007--Southwest Airlines’ flight 3050 experienced a failure in its nose landing gear during an emergency landing in Oakland, California, at approximately 5:32 p.m. central today.

Flight 3050 departed Sacramento at 3:51 p.m. for San Diego.

Enroute to San Diego, the flight crew experienced irregularities with the nose landing gear. The crew elected to divert to Oakland for landing. The crew was able to confirm the correct status of the nose gear by visual confirmation by the Oakland control tower. However, upon landing, the nose landing gear collapsed.

All 114 passengers were evacuated safely from the aircraft via emergency slide, and they were taken to the terminal where they are being assisted by SWA personnel.

At this point, the affected Runway 11/29 in Oakland is closed, but Runway 9R/27L is operational.

Looks like aircraft N356SW, a Boeing 737-3H4.

WildCowboy
Jun 3, 2007, 11:39 PM
"Crash" seems to be a bit of an overstatement, but it definitely made the news here.

No one was injured and everybody was on their way to San Diego on alternate flights within a few hours.

SkyBell
Jun 3, 2007, 11:54 PM
Southwest has an amazing track record, so these incidents are VERY isolated.

Crash is a bit overkill, more like "failed landing"

hayduke
Jun 3, 2007, 11:58 PM
Yeah, the title overstates things a bit. I wouldn't call it a crash. I wouldn't call it a good thing either, but I wouldn't call it a crash.

Sounds like everyone was bascially fine, but it is crazy to imagine going through a botched landing, sliding down the rubber escape ramp, and then boarding a flight again a few hours later (on the same airline!!!) to get to your desitination. I hope they at least got some free peanuts.

SkyBell
Jun 4, 2007, 01:11 AM
Yeah, the title overstates things a bit. I wouldn't call it a crash. I wouldn't call it a good thing either, but I wouldn't call it a crash.

Sounds like everyone was bascially fine, but it is crazy to imagine going through a botched landing, sliding down the rubber escape ramp, and then boarding a flight again a few hours later (on the same airline!!!) to get to your desitination. I hope they at least got some free peanuts.

They always get free peanuts.:)

How about free alcoholic drinks? (They charge you for those.)

dornoforpyros
Jun 4, 2007, 01:19 AM

Best part about flying international! ;)

Doctor Q
Jun 4, 2007, 01:26 AM
I'm glad there were no injuries. That must have been scary.

My dad went down one of those slides once. Although nobody would want to be in an emergency situation, in the diagrams the slides always look like they'd be fun to try. Maybe they should inflate one for an "airport open house" sometime and let people slide on it.

samh004
Jun 4, 2007, 01:32 AM
"Crash" seems to be a bit of an overstatement, but it definitely made the news here.

I'll say, I saw the thread title and thought the worst... quickly navigating to google, expecting to see thousands of stories on it.

Maybe they should inflate one for an "airport open house" sometime and let people slide on it.

It'd be just like a bouncy castle wouldn't it..

skoker
Jun 4, 2007, 01:49 AM
In our industry, metal hitting pavement= crash. Although the 'real world' definition differs a bit, technically a plane could get a flat tire and it would be classified in the records as a crash.

IJ Reilly
Jun 4, 2007, 10:21 AM
In our industry, metal hitting pavement= crash. Although the 'real world' definition differs a bit, technically a plane could get a flat tire and it would be classified in the records as a crash.

I believe the NTSB would classify this as an "incident" since it did not result in any injuries, but I'm not certain I'm remembering the FAR definitions correctly. Possibly the damage to equipment would raise it to "accident."

Edit: here they are.

Federal regulations require operators to notify the NTSB immediately of aviation accidents and certain incidents. An accident is defined as an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft that takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and all such persons have disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage. An incident is an occurrence other than an accident that affects or could affect the safety of operations. (See 49 CFR 830.)

ham_man
Jun 4, 2007, 10:38 AM
I hope they at least got some free peanuts.
This is Southwest we're talking about here...;)

iKwick7
Jun 4, 2007, 10:45 AM

Not always. Smoozing it up with flight attendants that are having a bad day often nets you free drinks. :)

I had to pay for my drinks when I flew to Italy. :(

Counterfit
Jun 4, 2007, 03:11 PM

They have booze on Southwest? :confused:

joepunk
Jun 5, 2007, 12:45 PM

If I remember correctly I did not get charged a dime for my alcoholic drinks when I flew to Mexico City. Don't remember the airline that I flew but we were definitely over the boarder when free drinks were served. :D

Doctor Q
Jun 5, 2007, 01:08 PM
If I remember correctly I did not get charged a dime for my alcoholic drinks when I flew to Mexico City. Don't remember the airline that I flew but we were definitely over the boarder when free drinks were served. :DThey had free plum wine on Japan Airlines. :)

redAPPLE
Jun 5, 2007, 01:45 PM

i was told that drinking (alcohol of course) is not a good idea when flying international.

aristobrat
Jun 5, 2007, 01:58 PM
Some friends and I flew to Germany a few weeks ago for vacation.

From the US to Germany, we flew Lufthansa, and all of the alcohol was free. It was nice getting some Bailey's before sacking out. I didn't know it was free (having only flown domestic flights before), so the attendants joked with me for the rest of the flight. "Hot towel? It's free." "Snack? It's free." Oye. :)

From Germany to the US, we flew United, and alcohol cost the usual $5, "exact change preferred".

One thing I appreciated about Lufthansa was how they did their overhead announcements. They were first in German, then in English. The English would last roughly as long as the German.

On the United flight, they'd do English first, and then sum it up to one or two sentences in German. I know that many Europeans understand English, but if you didn't on that flight, you definitely weren't getting the same details. :(

IJ Reilly
Jun 5, 2007, 03:31 PM
i was told that drinking (alcohol of course) is not a good idea when flying international.

It's not a good idea to drink while flying, period. It promotes dehydration and the effects of the alcohol are increased due to the altitude.

redAPPLE
Jun 5, 2007, 04:10 PM
It's not a good idea to drink while flying, period. It promotes dehydration and the effects of the alcohol are increased due to the altitude.

without questioning your wisdom, why do airlines do it then?

IJ Reilly
Jun 5, 2007, 04:34 PM
without questioning your wisdom, why do airlines do it then?

For the same reason they do everything else: $$$

Doctor Q
Jun 5, 2007, 05:17 PM
For the same reason they do everything else: $$$It's also because it's what travelers expect and demand. When it was allowed on U.S. flights, letting passengers smoke was never in the airlines financial interest, except in the roundabout way that passengers who smoked would become/stay their customers. The same with the "free" pillows and blankets and soft drinks you can get with most carriers; they don't directly feed the bottom line, but they do it because giving you what you want, within reason, will encourage you to be their customer, and that's good for their business overall.

mashinhead
Jun 5, 2007, 10:26 PM
no harm at least, It didn't read well on the homepage, due to the listing below either.

IJ Reilly
Jun 6, 2007, 12:33 AM
It's also because it's what travelers expect and demand. When it was allowed on U.S. flights, letting passengers smoke was never in the airlines financial interest, except in the roundabout way that passengers who smoked would become/stay their customers. The same with the "free" pillows and blankets and soft drinks you can get with most carriers; they don't directly feed the bottom line, but they do it because giving you what you want, within reason, will encourage you to be their customer, and that's good for their business overall.

Well, yes. An airline that didn't serve alcohol would lose a lot of customers and not gain many. But they do make good money selling drinks too.

yg17
Jun 6, 2007, 12:49 AM
Heck, last time I flew American (domestic) they gave me a cup of soda. Filled it up, handed me the cup, that was it. I remember when they would fill the cup and then give you the rest of the can. :rolleyes:

Free booze would be awesome on domestic flights though :D

Doctor Q
Jun 6, 2007, 10:40 AM
Heck, last time I flew American (domestic) they gave me a cup of soda. Filled it up, handed me the cup, that was it. I remember when they would fill the cup and then give you the rest of the can. :rolleyes:They seem to be inconsistent about this. My unproven theory is that you are more likely to get the whole can if you ask for a drink that is less often requested. If you ask for Coke, you get a cup. If you ask for Ginger Ale or Tomato Juice, you get the can.

IJ Reilly
Jun 6, 2007, 11:25 AM
I always ask for tomato juice, no ice. I'm never given the whole can. I think the flight attendants must keep the rest to make themselves Bloody Marys.

aquajet
Jun 6, 2007, 11:27 AM
more like "failed landing"

I suppose any landing you can walk away from is a "good landing". ;)

aquajet
Jun 6, 2007, 11:33 AM

The thought has never crossed my mind. No booze for me -- I always like to know what's going on. Even on a commercial flight I'll listen to ATC if it's available.

Mac-Addict
Jun 6, 2007, 11:33 AM
Well I went away like 4 days ago to spain and just after we got up in the air pretty far up we just dropped for like 10 seconds and that was the longest 8 seconds of my life, 8 seconds doesn't seem long but it felt like ages and I was so scared because I don't really like flying and I always remember Final Destination 1 where the plane just took of and exploded.

aquajet
Jun 6, 2007, 11:36 AM
we just dropped for like 10 seconds and that was the longest 8 seconds of my life

I couldn't imagine life without negative Gs.

XIII
Jun 6, 2007, 11:38 AM
BA always giving free drinks and snacks, even on the short European hopes. :D As many as you want in my experience.. Air NZ were pretty good too, lots of free food and goodies whenever you wanted - but on a 26 hour flight I guess you expect it.

mags631
Jun 6, 2007, 12:15 PM

My flight instructor would always refer to the process of landing as a "controlled crash."

yg17
Jun 6, 2007, 12:41 PM
Well I went away like 4 days ago to spain and just after we got up in the air pretty far up we just dropped for like 10 seconds and that was the longest 8 seconds of my life, 8 seconds doesn't seem long but it felt like ages and I was so scared because I don't really like flying and I always remember Final Destination 1 where the plane just took of and exploded.

When I was returning home a couple years ago, there were some nasty thunderstorms around STL. They proceeded with the landing anyways, but the second the wheels touched the runway, the pilot brought the plane back up into the air. Nonetheless, we were all pretty worried that something was wrong. So after a few minutes back in the air, the pilot gets on and says "Uh, ATC decided at the last minute it would be better to fly around and wait out the storms." There was just that period between going back up and the announcement where we were all scared sh*tless. I would think that if you're already on the effing runway, it would be better to just slow the damn thing down and get to the gate, it seems like going back up, especially in tstorms, would've been riskier.

And then it took American almost an hour to get baggage out to us :rolleyes:

Doctor Q
Jun 6, 2007, 02:01 PM
I always ask for tomato juice, no ice. I'm never given the whole can. I think the flight attendants must keep the rest to make themselves Bloody Marys.Well they almost always give me the tomato juice can. Plus they give me extra plush blankets, caviar, champagne, a foot rub, a complimentary iPod (with my name engraved on it), and free upgrades to first class, even if they have to throw somebody else out of first class and hand them a parachute. I think it's my elegant wardrobe that gets me such good treatment. :rolleyes:

atszyman
Jun 6, 2007, 02:11 PM
They seem to be inconsistent about this. My unproven theory is that you are more likely to get the whole can if you ask for a drink that is less often requested. If you ask for Coke, you get a cup. If you ask for Ginger Ale or Tomato Juice, you get the can.

I always ask for tomato juice, no ice. I'm never given the whole can. I think the flight attendants must keep the rest to make themselves Bloody Marys.

I don't think I can remember when I've not been given the can of whatever it was I asked for.

I must fly the right airlines.

IJ Reilly
Jun 6, 2007, 04:01 PM
My flight instructor would always refer to the process of landing as a "controlled crash."

As the old saying goes, "A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is one where you get to use the airplane again."

By that standard, all of my landings to date have been "great" (not that my passengers or CFIs would always agree).

Well they almost always give me the tomato juice can. Plus they give me extra plush blankets, caviar, champagne, a foot rub, a complimentary iPod (with my name engraved on it), and free upgrades to first class, even if they have to throw somebody else out of first class and hand them a parachute. I think it's my elegant wardrobe that gets me such good treatment. :rolleyes:

Oh come on, you were planning this all along. A glass of tomato juice and a book of Sudoko?

skunk
Jun 6, 2007, 04:10 PM
My flight instructor would always refer to the process of landing as a "controlled crash."As the process of walking is a controlled fall.

dmw007
Jun 6, 2007, 06:42 PM
They seem to be inconsistent about this. My unproven theory is that you are more likely to get the whole can if you ask for a drink that is less often requested. If you ask for Coke, you get a cup. If you ask for Ginger Ale or Tomato Juice, you get the can.

I have always been given the can. Perhaps carrying a gun helps.... ;) :cool: :D

Doctor Q
Jun 6, 2007, 06:53 PM
I have always been given the can. Perhaps carrying a gun helps.... ;) :cool: :DIt will certainly get you added attention! :eek:

dmw007
Jun 6, 2007, 07:28 PM
It will certainly get you added attention! :eek:

No thats my other 'gun'. :p ;) :D :cool:

skoker
Jun 10, 2007, 09:50 PM
They have booze on Southwest? :confused:

Yes we do!
SOUTHWEST AIRLINES IS PROUD TO SERVE THE FOLLOWING BEVERAGES
Where applicable, prices include sales tax.

COCKTAILS $4
Dewar’s Scotch
Jack Daniel’s
Wild Turkey
Tanqueray Gin
Bacardi Rum
Baileys Irish Cream
Finlandia Vodka

WINE $4
Vendange Chardonnay
Vendange Cabernet Sauvignon

BEER $4
Bud Select
Bud Light
Miller Lite
Heineken

NON-ALCOHOLIC
Coca-Cola Classic
Diet Coke
Sprite
Sprite Zero
Dr Pepper
Ginger Ale
Tonic Water
Mr and Mrs T Bloody Mary Mix
Orange Juice
Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Cranberry Apple Juice Cocktail
Carbonated Water
Non-Carbonated Purified Drinking Water
Coffee
Decaf Singles
Tea
Hot Cocoa

Heck, last time I flew American (domestic) they gave me a cup of soda. Filled it up, handed me the cup, that was it. I remember when they would fill the cup and then give you the rest of the can. :rolleyes:

Free booze would be awesome on domestic flights though :D

It's hit or miss. We don't really have an 'official' policy.

Doctor Q
Jun 11, 2007, 05:04 PM
I hereby award myself the coveted Stupid Mistake of the Week award. I chatted with a flight attendant at the airport over the weekend, but I forgot to ask about the "give 'em the whole can" policy! I saw this thread today and immediately realized I had goofed. Now there is no way we will ever know the answer. :(