PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 shaky video (horizontal lines)

MRob219
Jun 4, 2007, 08:12 PM
I have had my iMac for two years now and when I first got it not a week later the video went out, well at that time it was still under warranty so I figured, what the heck I'll go get it fixed. Waited a month got it fixed got it back, works perfectly. It's now 2 years later and everytime I try to run anything intense, i.e. World of Warcraft, or any game for that matter (also happens when the majority of the screen is dark) these horizontal lines appear, the darker the screen is the more intense the lines but once I open a lighter/white document the lines disappear. If I use the screen saver (flurry) is starts to do it also and you can clearly see RGB pixels all across the screen. I have been searching the internet for a good six months hoping someone will have the same problem, but that does not seem to be the case. If anyone has any idea what is going on, I have tried to reset the SMU and the PRAM but to no avail, I have also heard the swollen capacitors issue and have checked the board for swollen caps but all are flat. PLEASE HELP!!!

As far as specs go it is an iMac G5 2Ghz (Summer 2005).

Eidorian
Jun 4, 2007, 08:14 PM
If you're still under Applecare I'd get it fixed. It does sound typical of the other logic board issues on the iMac G5.

MRob219
Jun 4, 2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I'm not under AppleCare. I really didn't want it to come to that I'd rather just get a new computer since this is the second time this has happened.:mad:

RaMaz
Jun 4, 2007, 08:32 PM
pictures please (if u can) :o

aquajet
Jun 4, 2007, 11:04 PM
Do you still have your restore disks? If so, try running the Apple Hardware Test. Do the extended test, which will test various components on the logic board, including the video subsystem and VRAM.

ananke
Jun 5, 2007, 07:59 AM
See if you're covered under the repair extension program:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302181

Sounds like your computer might be exhibiting the symptoms.

MRob219
Jun 5, 2007, 05:46 PM
My computer is not covered by that because of the fact that I have a 2GHz. I guess the only thing to do is reformat and hope that fixes it, thanks for the quick responses everyone!

chipchen
Jun 5, 2007, 07:56 PM
Just bring it into the Apple Store anyway. Might as well have them look at it for free.