PDA

View Full Version : worst pro photographer ever?

bluewire
Jun 5, 2007, 03:15 PM
and i use the term "pro" loosely...

http://www.stephaniefletcherphotography.com/2_across.html

w0w

jayb2000
Jun 5, 2007, 03:26 PM
ouch

That is pretty bad, she did not even fix red eye. Never mind using a flash correctly so you don't get red eye... :rolleyes:

bluewire
Jun 5, 2007, 03:38 PM
ouch

That is pretty bad, she did not even fix red eye. Never mind using a flash correctly so you don't get red eye... :rolleyes:

There is a lot of red eye as well. Probably using the flash from a point and shoot.

And what is up with the 45 degree angle shots? And all the blur?

Mac-Addict
Jun 5, 2007, 04:12 PM
Click on boys and look at the banner... she has just stretched it to fix the website! I mean come on dude! And under weddings theres a shot of the bride's arse and shoes http://www.stephaniefletcherphotography.com/sitebuilder/images/shoes-332x438.jpg
Edit: EWWW OMFG click on home and scroll down to the bottem left photo look to the left of the mans hand. I would delete that photo faster than you can say your balls are showing.

Lovesong
Jun 5, 2007, 04:13 PM
Wow, and I thought this was going to be another Ken Rockwell bashing fest. :rolleyes:

Yeah- why is this poor woman trying? The website is horrid, the photos (those that aren't out of focus, have red eye, and are underexposed) have poor composition, and no interest points. I think I'll hire her :rolleyes:

bluewire
Jun 5, 2007, 04:15 PM
Wow, and I thought this was going to be another Ken Rockwell bashing fest. :rolleyes:

Yeah- why is this poor woman trying? The website is horrid, the photos (those that aren't out of focus, have red eye, and are underexposed) have poor composition, and no interest points. I think I'll hire her :rolleyes:

You could move into her turf and take over all of her business. :)

Lovesong
Jun 5, 2007, 04:23 PM
I'll take that as a compliment and leave it at that.

bluewire
Jun 5, 2007, 04:25 PM
I'll take that as a compliment and leave it at that.

I did mean it as one, maybe an emoticon at the end will help :)

bluewire
Jun 5, 2007, 04:28 PM
Click on boys and look at the banner... he has just stretched it to fix the website! I mean come on dude! And under weddings theres a shot of the bride's arse and shoes http://www.stephaniefletcherphotography.com/sitebuilder/images/shoes-332x438.jpg
Edit: EWWW OMFG click on home and scroll down to the bottem left photo look to the left of the mans hand. I would delete that photo faster than you can say your balls are showing.

Woah I didn't even notice that.

Notice the angle of the photo. How creative! What you want me to be more creative? Let me turn my camera 45 degrees and give a fresh perspective! Yeowsers!

I'm not sure whether or not I should laugh or cry.

Blue Velvet
Jun 5, 2007, 04:31 PM

And so does she. Leave her alone... bigging yourselves up by having a go at someone causing no harm.

Along with going to the theater and scrap-booking, photography is my hobby, and if I can make a little extra money to support my other hobbies, that would be great.

I am a theatre and English teacher.

wmmk
Jun 5, 2007, 05:59 PM
And so does she. Leave her alone... bigging yourselves up by having a go at someone causing no harm.

Honestly. First of all, some of this is jpeg compression. So yeah, she's a really bad photographer. Great. At least she doesn't take herself all that seriously. I'm sure she doesn't charge a ton. She also has a real job, and other people have asked her to shoot for them. Based on the look of her flash, I assume she's using a P&S.

On the other hand, a lot of people on this board have a hoity toity flash website talking their mind blowing photographic skill, thousands of dollars worth of equipment gear, and years of experience in Photoshop (which most of these people haven't even paid for). Then I look at their image galleries, they suck! Yeah, I'm not tons better than some, but at least I'm waiting to actually get really good to post a website soliciting my services. Sorry, even with a D80, 18-700, and pirated install of CS3, one is still not a top quality professional photographer. Oh, I also find it funny when people brag about being self-taught, then demonstrate that they haven't been taught well. There's no shame in a photo class as a community college or tagging along with a real pro for an assignment or two.

RedTomato
Jun 5, 2007, 06:18 PM
Well, I won't say anything about the photographs as she's not a pro. But she does say she's a professional English teacher. Dear me.

I used to surprise people as they entered a room with my quick flash.

I'm sure you gave them a memorable sight.

It was only recently when people began asking me if they could hire me for their special occasion.

What was only recently?

I am a theatre and English teacher.

Are you also cold and drafty in winter, with your own box office?

Poeben
Jun 5, 2007, 06:34 PM
Ah, RedTomato that just made me laugh.

I would like to nominate this site for Worst CSS-ish Site EVER! I blame yahoo site creator for puking out the horrible code and the woman for even putting it up there.

Example (http://www.stephaniefletcherphotography.com/6_across.html)

Clix Pix
Jun 5, 2007, 08:42 PM
Well, I hope she doesn't give up her day job for photography!!!

Plymouthbreezer
Jun 5, 2007, 09:56 PM
Oh god. This is the worst.

xsedrinam
Jun 5, 2007, 10:06 PM
Mediocrity as an amateur is painful, but forgivable. Mediocrity as a "pro" is Malpractice.

bluewire
Jun 5, 2007, 10:13 PM
Man alive, some of you need to get a sense of humor and not take this THAT seriously. Just thought it was sorta funny - maybe I am being an a##hole for sharing this but I found it somewhat amusing...maybe I'm just twisted like that :-o

Anywho, no need to get all snippy and self righteous, I am not claiming to be Ansel Adams by any stretch - OTOH, I am not charging anyone for photos

But anyways...

M@lew
Jun 6, 2007, 02:44 AM
Her point is that "Photo's aren't about posing, it's about capturing the moment". Whilst this is true, it doesn't mean that you go around taking pictures of absolutely everything you see. :eek:

Doylem
Jun 6, 2007, 03:29 AM
Someone must have told this lady, in an idle moment, that she's got "an eye for a photo"... and she's let her imagination run wild. The pictures are awful, like you'd get from someone who'd just been given their first camera and told to take a few shots. But offering her services as a 'pro' doesn't necessarily mean she'll get any customers...

Thank God there are so many bad photographers in the world; it means that a snapper like me can scrape a living. And too many people buy into the manufacturers' claims... that what they need is a new camera or lens or gadget...

MacBoobsPro
Jun 6, 2007, 03:37 AM
Maybe she has an interest in photography and has only just started out. We all have to start somewhere. When I started out as a designer looking back my first work was utter crap. With experience comes quality.

Doylem
Jun 6, 2007, 04:11 AM
The great thing about the interenet is that it allows people to share their photos with the world. And the worst thing about the interenet... is that it allows people to share their photos with the world. ;)

It's good to get other peoples' opinions about your work... though sometimes it can seem a bit lazy. You can feel like saying "Go away, work on your photography on your own for a few weeks, months, maybe years (well, years in my case: slow learner...), and only THEN give your work a public airing".

Plymouthbreezer
Jun 6, 2007, 08:46 AM
Maybe she has an interest in photography and has only just started out. We all have to start somewhere. When I started out as a designer looking back my first work was utter crap. With experience comes quality.
Sure, but even then, her photographs show little hope - composition is horrid, she can't really use a P&S by the looks of her focus, and the photographs lack anything that set them apart from the millions of pictures taken by the non interested picture taker.

Abstract
Jun 6, 2007, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't say this about someone who's photos I didn't like, but these photos....no mattery how you look at them......are horrid.

I'm not even trying to prop myself up, either. Even a typical person (a non-photographer) with a small digital camera in hand can take photos better than this lady. She's not even average at a consumer level. This is why I'm shocked to find out that she was paid for her work. I wouldn't mind so much if she just took photos and wanted to share them, but to take money from people for her work? I'm sorry, but those customers got PUNK'D! :eek:

AdeFowler
Jun 6, 2007, 09:06 AM
Oh poor Stephanie. I hope she doesn't come here. Bless her :o

They are bloody awful though

bluewire
Jun 6, 2007, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't say this about someone who's photos I didn't like, but these photos....no mattery how you look at them......are horrid.

I'm not even trying to prop myself up, either. Even a typical person (a non-photographer) with a small digital camera in hand can take photos better than this lady. She's not even average at a consumer level. This is why I'm shocked to find out that she was paid for her work. I wouldn't mind so much if she just took photos and wanted to share them, but to take money from people for her work? I'm sorry, but those customers got PUNK'D! :eek:

I'm curious about how happy the bride is that had her wedding pictures taken by her. Was there redeye in the wedding portraits? Maybe that was a friend or something...

Westside guy
Jun 6, 2007, 11:40 AM
I agree with Blue Velvet. A lot of this thread sounds pretty catty - not a whole lot of "constructive" in the criticism.

She has plenty of examples posted of her photos - so it's not like anyone will (or should) be surprised by what they get if they ask her to take the pictures.

andiwm2003
Jun 6, 2007, 11:50 AM
ok, this either a joke or she is in line with the people who aplly at "american idol" and think they can sing. i mean did she ever look at other peoples pictures? she should see that hers suck.

and when she says we does that imply there is more than one delusional person?

Buschmaster
Jun 6, 2007, 11:53 AM
It's strange because when I look at others work I can compare it to my own and often say "Wow, great job on this shot here." And I would probably take the other persons shots over one of my own while seconds later they praise one of mine probably thinking they'd take it over the one of theirs.

It seems like photographers are usually harder on themselves.

epicwelshman
Jun 6, 2007, 11:57 AM
I agree with Blue Velvet. A lot of this thread sounds pretty catty - not a whole lot of "constructive" in the criticism.

She has plenty of examples posted of her photos - so it's not like anyone will (or should) be surprised by what they get if they ask her to take the pictures.

I think this entire thread should stop. All that's being done is taking someone's photos and someone's website and tearing it apart. No, she's not good very good, that much is clear, but seriously people... have some respect for the woman.

andiwm2003
Jun 6, 2007, 12:03 PM
I think this entire thread should stop. All that's being done is taking someone's photos and someone's website and tearing it apart. No, she's not good very good, that much is clear, but seriously people... have some respect for the woman.

i'm not for tearing someones website apart. but this is not just a website. she poses as a professional and wants to be paid. it's like opening up a restaurant without being able to cook. in that case you deserve the criticism. but whatever, with this website there is no danger that a reasonable customer hires her.....

funny find though. how did you find that website?

failsafe1
Jun 6, 2007, 12:34 PM
I am glad my first attempts at being a pro aren't around for world wide critique. We all have to start somewhere.

FF_productions
Jun 6, 2007, 01:05 PM
Wow I suck at photography but those are some of the crappiest photos I've ever seen.

ATD
Jun 6, 2007, 01:06 PM

Same here. She didn't come to MR asking for a professional critique. Why people feel the need to offer unasked for criticism is beyond me.

RedTomato
Jun 6, 2007, 01:45 PM
We desperately need 'bad' photographers like her to enable us to feel superior.

If she didn't exist, we'd have to invent her.

seenew
Jun 6, 2007, 02:19 PM
bad bad bad thread.

compuwar
Jun 6, 2007, 03:16 PM
Same here. She didn't come to MR asking for a professional critique. Why people feel the need to offer unasked for criticism is beyond me.

Maybe not, but if you hang out your shingle to the public then you shouldn't be surprised when the public comments on that shingle.

People have been commenting on the world around for quite some time, the Internet doesn't change that. Socially, "you shouldn't criticize people" is as bad as "you always criticize people."

Personally, I didn't follow the link, so I don't know what it looks like.

needlnerdz
Jun 6, 2007, 03:30 PM
Hot damn some of you are critical arseholes...
nowhere on the website did/does she claim to be a professional...

photography is my hobby, and if I can
make a little extra money to support
my other hobbies, that would be
great.

So back out.
Everyone begins at a certain level, and only through experience will the quality improve. Judging from the same select group of people in all of her photos, she has only just begun. Maybe it's too early to be posting a website and advertising the services, but it has to start somewhere.

I guess I'm lucky you folks didn't get ahold of my very first websites in which I had actually claimed to be a professional graphic/web designer, at the tender age of 13... the website and my ego would have been torn to shreds.

----
wow.. failsafe1 managed to say what I did.. in one sentence... well done

RedTomato
Jun 6, 2007, 03:38 PM
True. That's why I didn't critique her photos. I've done many awful ones myself.

Am I still bad for criticising her English?

Kamera RAWr
Jun 6, 2007, 03:45 PM
bad bad bad thread.

Agreed. A few posts, to me, have been mean spirited :( . We should just leave her alone to do her thing. As she stated, its her hobby... even if she's "not good" by others' standards.

cwedl
Jun 6, 2007, 03:48 PM
It like hiring someone not drunk at a party to go around and take random shoots of people, I'm not saying I'm better, but I don't say I'm a Pro.

jayb2000
Jun 6, 2007, 06:47 PM
Ok, maybe she is not a pro, but then why is her website
http://www.stephaniefletcherphotography.com
Not
http://www.stephaniefletchertheatre.com
or
http://www.stephaniefletcherenglishteacher.com
or even just
http://www.stephaniefletcher.com
If she is going to promote herself as a photographer, even it it is not a "pro", then she is inviting criticism.
I don't call my self a painter, even though I have painted houses in the past.
If I had a website www.meisapainter.com and then people pointed out how bad my painting is, so be it.

not sure if it is the same poster richny = bluewiere, but this thread is even worse
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31670

kalisphoenix
Jun 6, 2007, 06:57 PM
I think I've taken a couple decent pictures in my life.

And I mean a couple.

I'm glad I'm ahead of someone.

kitki83
Jun 6, 2007, 07:11 PM
I do not see any where in the site that is says pro-photographer. Show me if I am wrong, but shes entitled to do this. You may not agree with it but she has all the right to do whatever she wants.

People here are rude, does not matter how you said it. Its her life she does what makes her happy and thats final.

I remember in another post someone posting about women who was overweight was downing coffee at large quantities and eating sweets. Then people started posting mean stuff, I mean what happen to freedom to do what you want as long it doesn't effect you. Someone brought up a good point, what if that lady has short life and is living it. Not being mean but lately I am seeing post that make fun or ridicule certain individuals, groups or professionals.

JNB
Jun 6, 2007, 07:31 PM
I think that the point of much of this is that the website address, including "...photography" (indicating a professional's online CV, as it were), the implication is that this is more an avocation than mere hobby. As such, it is horribly inept, and actually embarrassing to look at. It really is that bad, more I think because of the apparent obliviousness of the photographer to it all. If this were simply a family site, and not put forth from the top page to be indicative of a realistic work effort, nobody would take notice.

A harsh critique, to be sure, but not undeserved, because of the point of my first sentence.

Any photos I post on my site are there as snapshots, nothing more, and certainly not worthy of even a compliment for their accidental quality or composition, much less payment or claim of being products from a professional. I don't expect folks to admire or be impressed by them; they are there simply for the participants and coworkers to share in the memories of an event.

The question begs, then, what does she expect from publicly exposing these photos? Work? Modeling shoots? Wedding gigs? If so, there's a serious delusion at work here. If all she's doing is sharing snaps with friends & family around the country or world, then who cares, there's a million more like it or worse.

Plymouthbreezer
Jun 6, 2007, 08:05 PM
I think that the point of much of this is that the website address, including "...photography" (indicating a professional's online CV, as it were), the implication is that this is more an avocation than mere hobby. As such, it is horribly inept, and actually embarrassing to look at. It really is that bad, more I think because of the apparent obliviousness of the photographer to it all. If this were simply a family site, and not put forth from the top page to be indicative of a realistic work effort, nobody would take notice.

A harsh critique, to be sure, but not undeserved, because of the point of my first sentence.

Any photos I post on my site are there as snapshots, nothing more, and certainly not worthy of even a compliment for their accidental quality or composition, much less payment or claim of being products from a professional. I don't expect folks to admire or be impressed by them; they are there simply for the participants and coworkers to share in the memories of an event.

The question begs, then, what does she expect from publicly exposing these photos? Work? Modeling shoots? Wedding gigs? If so, there's a serious delusion at work here. If all she's doing is sharing snaps with friends & family around the country or world, then who cares, there's a million more like it or worse.
Exactly my sentiments, and this all is logical....

seenew
Jun 6, 2007, 09:15 PM
well I don't like how a lot of you put her down so easily when plenty of the photos posted here are lackluster. Also, the fact that she (may) use a p&s doesn't mean anything about the quality of the shots. I used one up until last summer, and I think I did quite well with it, if I do say so myself.

You people should back off and have better things to do than belittle someone (who hasn't even posted here!) to make yourselves feel better. Shame.

JNB
Jun 6, 2007, 10:19 PM
You people should back off and have better things to do than belittle someone (who hasn't even posted here!) to make yourselves feel better. Shame.

I certainly don't feel better, nor do I feel worse. I simply made an observation. Belittling would have taken place (on my part, anyway) if I were to make impolite comments not directly related to the demonstrated skill or quality of work. I could have called her a talentless hack (being one myself, I see commonality in our work), but I do not, because I have no proof that she is actually without talent, but maybe merely needing training and direction.

People have the ability to publicly present their work (her presence or lack of same on this particular forum is immaterial, she posted a website, which is open to anyone for viewing and linking for discussion); in doing so, they offer themselves up for comment, positive and negative, much of it without their knowledge. Welcome to the Internet, where "polite discourse" is confused for sex among the peerage.

Granted, there are a disturbingly large number of individuals that take a grade-school approach in their commentary, and like our skill-challenged photographer, also open themselves up to ridicule and public scorn. But, this is still open territory, and fools cannot be chided into "emotionally supportive" behavior, they can only be blocked or ignored until they slither away to a new forum for their inanity.

walangij
Jun 6, 2007, 10:26 PM

X2

Nothing good can come out of this tread.

Abstract
Jun 7, 2007, 01:01 AM

You formed your opinion when you saw the photos, whether you want to share your thoughts or not. Normally I wouldn't say anything, but she made a site to promote her photography and business of selling photos to people, and when you make your work public, and you're advertising your work, then the public should be allowed to criticise.

If she didn't sell herself as a "Special Occasion" photographer, or make a site to show and promote her photography, then you're all correct.....it would be in poor taste to criticise. Since this is not the case, I don't mind criticising this "professional" at all. And yes, that's what she is. She's charging money for her photography, so yes, she's a "pro", regardless of how you choose to look at it.

PS: She's advertising her services on craigslist. Advertising + charging money = "professional" to me.

LethalWolfe
Jun 7, 2007, 01:19 AM
I mean what happen to freedom to do what you want as long it doesn't effect you. Someone brought up a good point, what if that lady has short life and is living it. Not being mean but lately I am seeing post that make fun or ridicule certain individuals, groups or professionals.
What happened to freedom of speech? She's allowed to take pictures and post them on her site, others are allowed to voice their opinion about them, you're allowed to voice your opinion about their opinions, and I'm allowed to voice my opinion about your opinion.

As others have said, it's the fact that she's charging money and advertising as a photographer for hire that is the center point for the criticism.

Lethal

Evangelion
Jun 7, 2007, 02:02 AM

http://www.stephaniefletcherphotography.com/2_across.html

w0w

I have taken pictures that are a lot better than those, and that's saying something. Damn, maybe I should start calling myself "pro" as well ;)?

M@lew
Jun 7, 2007, 02:53 AM

I don't think she actually came here, rather someone just posted a link to her site.

ATD
Jun 7, 2007, 03:25 AM
You formed your opinion when you saw the photos, whether you want to share your thoughts or not. Normally I wouldn't say anything, but she made a site to promote her photography and business of selling photos to people, and when you make your work public, and you're advertising your work, then the public should be allowed to criticise.

If she didn't sell herself as a "Special Occasion" photographer, or make a site to show and promote her photography, then you're all correct.....it would be in poor taste to criticise. Since this is the case, I don't mind criticising this "professional" at all. And yes, that's what she is. She's charging money for her photography, so yes, she's a "pro", regardless of how you choose to look at it.

PS: She's advertising her services on craigslist. Advertising + charging money = "professional" to me.

My work is pubic, I get emails and comments on about my work all the time. Most are good and some are quite critical. The point is they are directed to me. As much as I didn't like a few things that have come my way I have to respect that they told it to directly to me and I had the opportunity to respond instead of going to some distant forum to rip it apart.

I had my portfolio dismantled once and posted on other forum. All the comments were good but still a small part of me felt slightly violated. If this has happened to you might feel differently about it.

Kamera RAWr
Jun 7, 2007, 04:06 AM
Shame on us all, including myself, for reading and posting in this thread... Should not have gotten this far :(

Abstract
Jun 7, 2007, 04:34 AM
My work is pubic, I get emails and comments on about my work all the time. Most are good and some are quite critical. The point is they are directed to me. As much as I didn't like a few things that have come my way I have to respect that they told it to directly to me and I had the opportunity to respond instead of going to some distant forum to rip it apart.

I had my portfolio dismantled once and posted on other forum. All the comments were good but still a small part of me felt slightly violated. If this has happened to you might feel differently about it.

Ok everyone, new rule: Nobody is allowed to criticise another person's work unless the creator is in the same room as you.

If you're a boss, you can't talk about someone elses poor quality of work unless they're in the same room as you.

No criticisms about Pirates of the Caribbean 3....not unless Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley, Chow Yun Fat, the directors and writers, and everyone else involved with the movie is at your house.

Some professional might feel "violated".

wookyhoo
Jun 11, 2007, 05:46 AM
An interesting thing to note.

I won't say anything about her photography, but she is an English teacher and has this on her contact page:

"It was only recently
when people began asking me if they
could hire me for their special
occasion."

/me is still waiting for the sentence to end

John T
Jun 11, 2007, 09:41 AM
Still, her photographs make a change from the overprocessed shots of birds, flowers, clouds and animals that seem to be so popular with the so-called, self-professed experts! ;)

liketom
Jun 11, 2007, 09:46 AM
in wonder if she would take a job snapping Apple products in Lifts (elevators)?

maybe your all being bad - maybe these people in the shots do have red eyes ? my rabbit does :rolleyes:

Turkish
Jun 11, 2007, 09:50 AM
Well, I hope she doesn't give up her day job for photography!!!

Oh god. This is the worst.

Wow I suck at photography but those are some of the crappiest photos I've ever seen.

You guys are pathetic.

puckhead193
Jun 11, 2007, 09:52 AM
maybe she is new that this. Or maybe she needs glasses but my pet peeve is when people say i'm a good photographer bla bla and show you a nice picture. Then you ask them what an f stop or aperature is and they have no clue what is it or how to use it. And to take that awesome sunset picture all they did was a push a button on a P&S camera :eek: :mad:

kalisphoenix
Jun 11, 2007, 10:10 AM
Of all the things you can give someone, false hope is probably the worst.

Edit: Except a sucking chest wound, perhaps.

jayb2000
Jun 11, 2007, 11:02 AM
You guys are pathetic.

So insulting people is good way to explain why insulting is bad? :rolleyes:

I think its time the Mods killed this one before it turns into

"You're a jerk"
"No, you are"
etc.

dogbait
Jun 16, 2007, 08:36 AM
Reading this thread has been like watching a car accident and not in a good way. However in as much as Stephanie has a right to post her photographs on the internet (be they good or bad) we also have the right to speak of them as we wish no?

It is the perogative of those who scathingly criticize to lose as much dignity as they like: So let's try and be constructive in our comments, that way if Stephanie ever happens to stumble on this thread, she might learn something. And in being less derogatory we might learn something too.

epicwelshman
Jun 16, 2007, 08:56 AM
Reading this thread has been like watching a car accident and not in a good way. However in as much as Stephanie has a right to post her photographs on the internet (be they good or bad) we also have the right to speak of them as we wish no?

It is the perogative of those who scathingly criticize to lose as much dignity as they like: So let's try and be constructive in our comments, that way if Stephanie ever happens to stumble on this thread, she might learn something. And in being less derogatory we might learn something too.

Amen.

Error Type -43
Jun 16, 2007, 10:33 AM
Why are some of you trying to defend her work by assuming she is a newcomer when there is this blurb on her website?

To keep me occupied, my parents got me a camera at a very young age. I used to surprise people as they entered a room with my quick flash. I liked catching people in their natural state. I have always been the photographer, the historian, I always had a camera with me when I was with my friends and family.

Unless she's 10 years old she is obviously far from foreign to the camera.

dornoforpyros
Jun 16, 2007, 10:56 AM
I actually don't mind some of her shots, however I suspect her equipment sucks.

But haven't you guys ever heard of folk art (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_art)?

If this woman's friends/family/community are happy enough with her work to hire her then who are we to judge? Is calling herself a photographer any more self indulgent then the many of us (myself included) who run photoblogs (http://www.jasondorn.com/revolution) just for the hell of it?

Would I hire this woman or buy stock photos from her? No, but I can see why others might.

This is no different than the 15 year old kid doing web sites for his dad's friends, it doesn't take any serious business away from the more established pros and it lets them do something they enjoy.

Jeremy Gray
Jun 18, 2007, 09:23 PM
Wow, I'd have to say that is some of the worst 'professional' photography I've ever seen. No, no, that really was the worst 'professional' photography I've ever seen. But, on the other hand, she isn't exactly telling everybody that she is the best photographer ever, but just the fact that so many of those shots are blurry and at a ridiculous 45 degree angle just angers me. I feel bad for people that actually gave that woman a dollar to take a picture, let alone twenty or thirty dollars. There is no excuse for displaying out of focus, poorly cropped, and red-eye littered shots in the fashion that she did and slapping a 'pro' tag on them. As a budding photographer, I'm insulted honestly.

"Hey everyone, look at me tilt the camera and manually focus this lens so that I look like I know what I'm doing when I truly don't."

And don't reply to this with, "Blah, blah, why should you critique her when she didn't ask for that blah blah." If it's the internet, it's open to critique. If you don't want criticism, don't put it on the internet. That's all there is to it.

eRondeau
Jun 18, 2007, 10:05 PM
Several summers ago two female friends of mine got married on a beach (in Ontario you are free to fall in love with whomever you choose...) I was just a guest, but I took along my old VHS-C "pawn-shop-special" camcorder and my tripod (of course). I set it off to the side and recorded the ceremony. Nothing fancy, but it was my first lesbian wedding and I though it'd be cool to tape. Meanwhile, the "pro" videographer they hired had apparently got some sand in the gears of his $$$ semi-pro JVC digital camcorder. He didn't have a backup. He couldn't tape anything. Not a happy photographer, nor a happy couple, until I told them I had taped it too. Best part -- during the wedding photos, I ran back to my place and dubbed my VHS-C down onto three VHS copies for the brides and their families to take with them that night. (Like I said it was a few years ago, I couldn't burn DVD's then.) My camera mic audio was weak, as the waves tended to drown-out the chaplain, but otherwise it saved the day!

LethalWolfe
Jun 18, 2007, 10:11 PM
Reading this thread has been like watching a car accident and not in a good way.

When, if ever, is there a "good way" to watch a car accident?:confused:

Lethal

WildPalms
Jun 18, 2007, 10:16 PM
Wow, I'd have to say that is some of the worst 'professional' photography I've ever seen. No, no, that really was the worst 'professional' photography I've ever seen. But, on the other hand, she isn't exactly telling everybody that she is the best photographer ever, but just the fact that so many of those shots are blurry and at a ridiculous 45 degree angle just angers me. I feel bad for people that actually gave that woman a dollar to take a picture, let alone twenty or thirty dollars. There is no excuse for displaying out of focus, poorly cropped, and red-eye littered shots in the fashion that she did and slapping a 'pro' tag on them. As a budding photographer, I'm insulted honestly.

"Hey everyone, look at me tilt the camera and manually focus this lens so that I look like I know what I'm doing when I truly don't."

And don't reply to this with, "Blah, blah, why should you critique her when she didn't ask for that blah blah." If it's the internet, it's open to critique. If you don't want criticism, don't put it on the internet. That's all there is to it.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Its a mess of a site. Why on earth would you take a product (her 'photo's) and then botch up the presentation with that website that.... I dont know where to begin. Non complimentary color range for starters? Layout is non existant... I'm being picky but seriously, touting oneself as a professional and presenting way below standard material is just terrible. Why are most of the shots poorly focused?!?!?!?

eRondeau
Jun 18, 2007, 10:46 PM
Hmmmm.... I might start my own "Pro Photography" company. Then I could write-off all my hardware, software, camera expenses, trips, and a substantial portion of my mortgage and vehicle expenses. In the old days people used to stick magnetic signs on their cars and drive around town to "prove they were in business". Now all you need is a website. Happens all the time.

Aea
Jun 18, 2007, 11:13 PM

Lethal

Well, say you're watching an insurance crash test (you know, the dummies and all) and the car you helped develop not only keeps everyone alive but also cures cancer :p

sjl
Jun 19, 2007, 02:07 AM
maybe she is new that this. Or maybe she needs glasses but my pet peeve is when people say i'm a good photographer bla bla and show you a nice picture. Then you ask them what an f stop or aperature is and they have no clue what is it or how to use it. And to take that awesome sunset picture all they did was a push a button on a P&S camera :eek: :mad:

So what? Photography isn't about how you got there, it's about what you managed to take. If somebody takes a nice shot, I'll praise it. Even if the shooter doesn't know what an f stop is, or what the shutter speed is all about, a large chunk of photography is composition.

Having said that, yes, knowing this stuff does help you get better shots. Most of my shots, I take in program mode (one step away from full auto); I'll sometimes drop to aperture priority for particular shots, but that's because I know I want the blur (or some other aspect that controlling the aperture lets me get.) I know the effect; I know how to achieve it; I'll use my tools to that end ... but if I don't need that effect, I'm not going to bother fiddling around with settings if I don't have to.

You can take excellent shots with a point and shoot. You can take crappy shots with a high-end SLR. I don't give a damn what f stop a given shot was taken at, or what ISO, or what shutter speed - it won't help me re-create the shot. If I want to know how a shot came to be, I'll ask questions to that end, rather than getting into irrelevancies.

dogbone
Jun 19, 2007, 02:18 AM
Just did a quick search of the thread and no ones mentioned David Hamilton yet :eek: his 'erotic' soft focus girls wearing flowing Liberty printed chifon robes in wheat fields is so... how can I put it...tasteful.

<please pass me the 'sick' bag>

dogbone
Jun 19, 2007, 02:29 AM
Personally, I didn't follow the link, so I don't know what it looks like.

It's better than David Hamilton's stuff.

Am I still bad for criticising her English?

Yes. You are a bad tomato.

Edit, I posted my first post before reading the thread, I took the title seriously.

Kamera RAWr
Jun 19, 2007, 03:50 AM
Die thread, DIE! :mad:

jayb2000
Jun 19, 2007, 09:41 AM

Lethal

Apparantly, there is this thing called NASCAR. Something about guys driving in circles until they crash. Lots of people watch it, or so I am told. ;)