PDA

View Full Version : 9000 Points in 24 hours!!

Mr. Anderson
Jul 1, 2003, 09:20 PM
Wow, now this has got to be a record! We keep this up and we will be doing quite nicely!

D :D

jelloshotsrule
Jul 1, 2003, 09:40 PM
what site is that from?

pEZ
Jul 1, 2003, 10:35 PM
That looks like Extreme OC - mostly because the front page of their stats has that same total right now. I wanna see the graph go up. Higher.

No. Higher.

Hey, if we can keep this up, we could hold off the Knights (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31009) a little longer - like until people get their G5s set up with folding? Maybe? Then we could taunt THEM?

MrMacMan
Jul 1, 2003, 11:16 PM
Yeah 9k is nice but technically we could be over or under by a great amount that is becuse "Stats DB Last Update: July 1, 2003 @ 9:00 pm (CST)
Time Now: July 1, 2003 @ 11:14 pm (CST)"
It updates every 3 hours I belive meaning 12 CST or 1 AM EST, or another 45 minutes.

I mean the probability is that it will stay somewhere near that amount but 3 hours could make the difference.

NNO-Stephen
Jul 2, 2003, 12:25 AM
current score: 586515.079307318

moved up a bit, but not much. still in 28th. stanford updates their site more often. http://folding.stanford.edu/teamstats/team3446.html

mc68k
Jul 2, 2003, 12:32 AM
this is totally due to that front page advert coupled with the recent slump in output

this team has ALWAYS been on a positive trend since ive followed stats actively. we must be doing something right :)

keep it up

bertinman
Jul 2, 2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by NNO-Stephen
current score: 586515.079307318

moved up a bit, but not much. still in 28th. stanford updates their site more often. http://folding.stanford.edu/teamstats/team3446.html

why would we not be 28th anymore? at least until tomorrow the 2nd?

- bert

jimthorn
Jul 2, 2003, 12:40 AM
By Extreme Overclocking's measurements, we did just over 9K (9039.95 points, to be exact...) for July 1, 2003. That's a record-setting day for our team. And the trend looks good:

Mr. Anderson
Jul 2, 2003, 06:37 AM
Very cool that we got that big a boost already....

Now, if we can stay at the same level or reasonably close today that would be fantastic!

D

KershMan
Jul 2, 2003, 07:04 AM
Now, if I could get my kids to quit closing the terminal when I am at work I would finish my first WU!

blogo
Jul 2, 2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by KershMan
Now, if I could get my kids to quit closing the terminal when I am at work I would finish my first WU!

Thats what so great about panther and fast user switching :)
Now, if Apple could just hurry up :)

And a question, is it possible to set up two machines under the same username?

Mr. Anderson
Jul 2, 2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by KershMan

Ah, get the script, you can find it in the FAQ I think. That way it runs in the background and you don't need to have the terminal open....it also restarts after boot up....;)

D

KershMan
Jul 2, 2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ah, get the script, you can find it in the FAQ I think. That way it runs in the background and you don't need to have the terminal open....it also restarts after boot up....;)

D

Yep, I was looking at that. Is there a log file associated with the script that the progress is written out to? I like having the terminal open so I can see what is happening.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 2, 2003, 07:58 AM
All you do is type work in a terminal and it gives you the current status....its quite nice and I've got it running on 3 machines - one of them a dual. You need get the different scripts for the single and dual machines.

If you have any questions, ask mc68k

D

britboy
Jul 2, 2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Eple
And a question, is it possible to set up two machines under the same username?

Do you mean, can you have more than one computer folding under your user name? In which case, yes, you can. I have about 5 computers, all contributing towards my stats, and some of the higher-ranked folders have dozens of computers under their name.

BigJayhawk
Jul 2, 2003, 09:04 AM
Actually, if you look at the graph above, we actually slightly broke the record the day before as well and then we shattered the record on July 1st!

I joined last week and moved from number 450 to number 250 in one week! Wow, at that pace I'll be 150 positions above the leader in just two more weeks.

(Hmm, maybe I should leave the "complex" math to my Mac?!)

GroundLoop
Jul 2, 2003, 09:38 AM
Hello All!

I just started folding two days ago. I have 3 WUs done and should hopfully finish another 2 WUs today.

I have two computers folding 24/7 (both of which are P4 2GHz machines). Even though I don't have a Mac yet, (I am going to get a rev. B G5 hopefully in early 2004) I am still contributing to this team.

I have a score of 142 (yes I know, but I did just start) but I am slowly moving ahead of the part-time folders (currently ranked 198 for the team).

But anyways, good luck to those of you donating your CPU cycles for a good cause

Hickman

PS - don't you think it is brilliant how this software brings out the inner alpha in all of us?

Mr. Anderson
Jul 2, 2003, 09:50 AM
So it looks like we'll be getting less than 7000 points today, unless something happens later.

I wonder why we got 9000 yesterday?

D

NNO-Stephen
Jul 2, 2003, 10:00 AM
I wont be turning in any WUs today. the one I'm on now... oh geez. got it yesterday and it's been on constantly all night. I've done 6.5% on my 867Mhz G4. ugh. here's to waiting!

MrMacMan
Jul 2, 2003, 10:12 AM

Probably all of the new members first units (maybe they had mutiple comps?)

And bert is getting his folding comps back online... :)

bertinman
Jul 2, 2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Probably all of the new members first units (maybe they had mutiple comps?)

And bert is getting his folding comps back online... :)

:mad: manually!

i have to go in on my lunch break or when i walk by to reboot machines that the service has stopped on...

I need to find out why the folding gets killed whenever someone logs off a machine.

luckly there is a default account on the machines and only rarly do people log out.

- bert

*edit: I want to help delay the KWSN from their takeover as much as possible!

Sir Furry Mark
Jul 2, 2003, 02:28 PM
So it looks like we'll be getting less than 7000 points today, unless something happens later.

D

Not sure what is happening, but this seems to be affecting other teams as well - we look like we are going to be down around 3000-4000 today as well... :(

Ni! :D

Sir Furry Mark
Jul 2, 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by bertinman
:mad: manually!

i have to go in on my lunch break or when i walk by to reboot machines that the service has stopped on...

I need to find out why the folding gets killed whenever someone logs off a machine.

luckly there is a default account on the machines and only rarly do people log out.

- bert

*edit: I want to help delay the KWSN from their takeover as much as possible!

Which OS are you using and which type of service?

I run F@H as a service on around 20 machines and I don't have problems when the users log off (unless they decide to shutdown the machine as well... :rolleyes: ) - is it possible that you installed the service to run as the logged on user rather than as the system account?

bertinman
Jul 2, 2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Sir Furry Mark
Which OS are you using and which type of service?

I run F@H as a service on around 20 machines and I don't have problems when the users log off (unless they decide to shutdown the machine as well... :rolleyes: ) - is it possible that you installed the service to run as the logged on user rather than as the system account?

win2k.

and I just found the culprit! on some of the machines I was too hasty and put the flag as -local not -service!

now they work, 95% are fixed. the rest are being used at the moment and I didn't get to fiddle with them yet.

IT! :D

- bert

Mr. Anderson
Jul 2, 2003, 03:28 PM
Oh, that's good news! Up goes the production again! WooHoo, nice....:D

Now if we could get a few more members with these resources......

D

bertinman
Jul 2, 2003, 04:19 PM
asked my boss about using his lab... no go for now. maybe later.

suggested asking another person in the department to use his two labs :). I'll give it a go once I build up the courage.

- bert

*he uses SETI allot, tried using folding at the same time but they didn't play nice together. anyone have any tricks to spit out before I go research it :) -- he tried upping the priority on F@H and it killed seti completely.

BigJayhawk
Jul 2, 2003, 06:59 PM
Hmmm . . .

So much for being ahead of the leader by 150 positions by next week. I was 450 a day ago, 250 earlier today and now I'm number 210 on the MacRumors list.

Well, as soon as I hack into the Pentagon and switch them all to folding for the MacRumors Team I'll soon take over the folding world!!! (Considering the Pentagon has probably already found the cure for cancer AND extraterrestial life, they won't mind giving up some extra bandwidth for the cause. I wonder if they just TOLD ME what the cure for cancer is if that would make MacRumors automatically win!?!)

Anyway, just had a long day at work so I'm relieving it with an adolescent moment.

Sir Furry Mark
Jul 2, 2003, 07:04 PM
win2k.

and I just found the culprit! on some of the machines I was too hasty and put the flag as -local not -service!

now they work, 95% are fixed. the rest are being used at the moment and I didn't get to fiddle with them yet.

IT! :D

- bert

Yep! That would do it :rolleyes:

Actually, it isn't a bad idea to use the -local as well - in fact, if you use a dual processor machine it is a must.

Tip: Unless your admin has blocked remote registry access, you should be able to use regedt32 to modify the service parameters on the other machines without actually visiting them...

P.S. If you want to boost the number of Gromacs units you get try adding the -advmethods flag as well... :cool:

bertinman
Jul 2, 2003, 09:52 PM
Yep! That would do it :rolleyes:

Actually, it isn't a bad idea to use the -local as well - in fact, if you use a dual processor machine it is a must.

Tip: Unless your admin has blocked remote registry access, you should be able to use regedt32 to modify the service parameters on the other machines without actually visiting them...

P.S. If you want to boost the number of Gromacs units you get try adding the -advmethods flag as well... :cool:

doh! too true, too true.

I was just going around to the computers open on my way by the lab. was being paid to do other things :P. Since I am an admin for the comps (hence being able to make services) I'll do that tomorrow to the 5 or 6 comps left to do it to.

speaking of different cores... my home comp just downloaded the 'ca' core and used that for a bit. Is that a gnome@home core or something? I set the config to do only folding.

- bert

Fender2112
Jul 2, 2003, 10:26 PM
The Good: Today I started folding for MacRumors on three computers at my office. :)

The Bad: They run Windows :(

mc68k
Jul 3, 2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Fender2112
The Bad: They run Windows :( thats okay

thats actually what we want. macs are very slow at folding

Mr. Anderson
Jul 3, 2003, 06:46 AM
Well, only a 7.5k yesterday, but today looks to be 8k+ if we continue the way we're going....:D

Still a fare cry from 11k needed to hold off the Kniggits....

D

jimthorn
Jul 3, 2003, 09:54 AM
At halfway through today, Extreme Overclocking has us at over 5K. We could potentially do another 9K or even 10K today.

Also, we hit the 50K mark for the week! Woo-hoo! :D

Also, keep in mind that we're not only faster than we were a month, or even a week ago, but we're actually accelerating.

bertinman
Jul 3, 2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by jimthorn
we're actually accelerating.

oh yeah :).

Mr. Anderson
Jul 3, 2003, 10:51 AM
Yeah, it is looking good - so the number of active members is up 40% - that's huge. I just hope we can keep them around....and the way things are going - we might break 10k in 24 hours if we're lucky....:D

D

britboy
Jul 3, 2003, 11:10 AM
Well, only a 7.5k yesterday, but today looks to be 8k+ if we continue the way we're going....:D

D

Only 7.5k? When will you be satisfied? We have our third-highest production ever, and you say only! Sheesh......

We're not far off hitting yellow on the EOC stats site. As a team we're going from strength to strength. Anyone think we might actually overtake General Mayhem, who only just recently passed us? :)

pEZ
Jul 3, 2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by britboy
Only 7.5k? When will you be satisfied? We have our third-highest production ever, and you say only! Sheesh......

We're not far off hitting yellow on the EOC stats site. As a team we're going from strength to strength. Anyone think we might actually overtake General Mayhem, who only just recently passed us? :)

General Mayhem never came to our own forums and taunted us, did they? I'm much more focused on holding off the Knights. Not only are they rude, but they hate Macs. Go from there. :)

britboy
Jul 3, 2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by pEZ
General Mayhem never came to our own forums and taunted us, did they? I'm much more focused on holding off the Knights. Not only are they rude, but they hate Macs. Go from there. :)

True, but they did pass us. For that reason alone they are a worthy target :)

Mr. Anderson
Jul 3, 2003, 11:27 AM
General Mayhem would be great - we've done it before when a team has passed us and we come right back and pass them a month or two later.

Sorry about the 7.5k thing, but if we're going to hold of the Kniggits we need 12k - there's a way to go :D

Oh, and half way through the day and we have 5.1k - we can do 10k today if we get lucky!

D

pEZ
Jul 3, 2003, 11:45 AM
If we can just hold them off until all of these newfangled "G5" things arrive...

MOFS
Jul 3, 2003, 11:47 AM
Wow guys - congrats on your position!

Just wondering though...

What is folding?:confused:

I mean, you guys seem to be having so much fun, I thought it might be interesting to try.

Thanks

And remember, just say "it!" to the Knightsi of Ni!

Rower_CPU
Jul 3, 2003, 11:57 AM
Well gang, we've cracked 50k! :D

britboy
Jul 3, 2003, 12:07 PM
Sorry about the 7.5k thing, but if we're going to hold of the Kniggits we need 12k - there's a way to go :D

D

Ha! We'll need quite a few more record-breaking days before banishing the knights into the realms of obscurity. Hopefully bertiman will get that extra lab or two up and running for us.

:D

MOFS> Check the Folding FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=21908). It should have all the answers you're looking for (except the meaning of life).

mc68k
Jul 3, 2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by MOFS
Just wondering though...

What is folding?:confused: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/science.html

MrMacMan
Jul 3, 2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by MOFS
Wow guys - congrats on your position!

Just wondering though...

What is folding?:confused:

I mean, you guys seem to be having so much fun, I thought it might be interesting to try.

Thanks

And remember, just say "it!" to the Knightsi of Ni!

Or read the FAQ in this Forum here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=21908)

Sir Furry Mark
Jul 3, 2003, 03:41 PM
doh! too true, too true.

I was just going around to the computers open on my way by the lab. was being paid to do other things :P. Since I am an admin for the comps (hence being able to make services) I'll do that tomorrow to the 5 or 6 comps left to do it to.

speaking of different cores... my home comp just downloaded the 'ca' core and used that for a bit. Is that a gnome@home core or something? I set the config to do only folding.

- bert

Yep! FahCore_ca.exe is the Genome core - Despite setting my preference to fah I get these occasionally as well (they will show as project 799 in your stats). Usually means that there wasn't a folding data server available at the time your machine needed a new unit. Don't worry - better to run a gah unit than nothing at all! :cool:

Sir Furry Mark
Jul 3, 2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by pEZ

Hmmmm... they did come to ours however. :rolleyes:

We took a look at theirs in return and decided it wasn't a very nice place for us (yet?) - no real chance of having fun making 'them' fold more...

Edit: I don't hate Macs, but I'm about to port a major application to OSX, so I might change my mind... :rolleyes:

bertinman
Jul 3, 2003, 05:15 PM
Hmmmm... they did come to ours however. :rolleyes:

We took a look at theirs in return and decided it wasn't a very nice place for us (yet?) - no real chance of having fun making 'them' fold more...

Edit: I don't hate Macs, but I'm about to port a major application to OSX, so I might change my mind... :rolleyes:

personally I think you guys are pretty friendly, very silly, but still friendly. A good dose of friendly competition is always good--for both teams. Look, you got me off my butt and the labs are producing well now!

the guy I was going to ask the use of his closed lab down the hall of me is pretty scary sometimes... give me a week maybe :o .

I'm sure you won't hate macs after you port to it. you might not love them, but I think you'll see some of the kinder/nicer things about the system.

- bert

britboy
Jul 3, 2003, 05:37 PM
the guy I was going to ask the use of his closed lab down the hall of me is pretty scary sometimes... give me a week maybe :o .

- bert

I've got an idea. Give me his email address, and i'll write him a nice pursuasive note, telling him exactly why he should let you use those machines for folding ;)

Perhaps if i include some of the text from posts by the KWSN he might realise that holding off such a hoard of buffoons is a worthwhile cause.....

Mr. Anderson
Jul 3, 2003, 05:46 PM
If we get 1200 points in the next set we'll break 10k for the 24 hour period.....we'll move from green to yellow on extremeOverclocking stats....:D

Oooh, this is going to be good!

I just wish I could find some more computers.....:(

D

Rower_CPU
Jul 3, 2003, 06:03 PM
Hmmm, some serious stats evaluation is in order...

Once ExtremeOC comes back up I'll have to check our trend line and compare it to KWSN's. We've almost equaled their output for the last 24 hours. :eek: :D

Rower_CPU
Jul 3, 2003, 06:19 PM
OK, according to Extreme OC, the KWSN have increased their output over the course of the last 30 days from ~7k/dayweek to somewhere between 11 and 12k/day for the last week or so.

If we can get to the 11-12 mark we can hold them off indefinitely, barring any increases on their part. I say it's quite doable if all these new members keep on folding. 80k/week ain't so hard. ;) :p

britboy
Jul 3, 2003, 06:45 PM
Well done team, we broke the 10k/day mark! How much further can we go? All together now:

We all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, a yellow.....hello? Am i the only one doing this?

I think i'll just shut up.....:rolleyes: :D

jimthorn
Jul 3, 2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Hmmm, some serious stats evaluation is in order...

Once ExtremeOC comes back up I'll have to check our trend line and compare it to KWSN's. We've almost equaled their output for the last 24 hours. :eek: :D

Not only that, but we've exceded General [M]ayhem's daily output for today. If you check their stats, you'll see that they're leveling off, while we're still accelerating.

A big thanks again to arn for the front page article a few days ago.

MrMacMan
Jul 3, 2003, 08:04 PM

What are you porting?

And great job people 10k, go yellow! :cool:

pEZ
Jul 3, 2003, 09:51 PM
Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And all the things that you do
Yeah, they were all yellow...

Mr. Anderson
Jul 3, 2003, 10:01 PM
Wow, two days ago we do 9k and then turn right around and get 10k! WooHoo!!!

I see that we also out produced General Mayhem....:D

Looking good!

D

bertinman
Jul 3, 2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by britboy
I've got an idea. Give me his email address, and i'll write him a nice pursuasive note, telling him exactly why he should let you use those machines for folding ;)

Perhaps if i include some of the text from posts by the KWSN he might realise that holding off such a hoard of buffoons is a worthwhile cause.....

not sure if he's a mac friendly dude. the head honcho is a big mac fanatic, but that doesn't mean everyone else is :p.

i'll ease it on to him, maybe he's like my boss who does seti, and will be interested in it as well. (my boss put himself on our team, there's one recruit for me!)

-bert

britboy
Jul 4, 2003, 02:03 AM
i'll ease it on to him, maybe he's like my boss who does seti, and will be interested in it as well. (my boss put himself on our team, there's one recruit for me!)

-bert

Very cool. What user name did he take, and roughly how many computers?

Mr. Anderson
Jul 4, 2003, 10:50 AM
We've had some great production numbers - almost had 10k again for a while.....it'd be nice if we could stay above 10k for a while - we'll start out producing General Mayhem :D

We'll really need something special - another lab or such to get ahead to out produce the shrubbers....which is too bad.

But the membership has been good lately, we've been retaining more and more.

D

bertinman
Jul 4, 2003, 11:43 AM
he did 2 not under us, but he's turned one in for us so far.

only his personal comp, a 2.5 P4 I think

Paul_Schatz is his user name

- bert

jimthorn
Jul 7, 2003, 12:00 PM
Our daily stats are dipping back into the 9K range again, but (hey!) Extreme Overclocking shows us at 60K for the week!

Mr. Anderson
Jul 7, 2003, 12:04 PM
Wow, 60k for the week is damn nice - I wonder why we've dipped in the daily rate though? Seems we had a good run there for a bit, but its since been going down over the past couple days....

D

bertinman
Jul 7, 2003, 12:17 PM
Wow, 60k for the week is damn nice - I wonder why we've dipped in the daily rate though? Seems we had a good run there for a bit, but its since been going down over the past couple days....

D

the weekly is going up because the slow days are getting replaced by some fast days we just had :).

give it a few days, I think we'll have a fluctuating daily score for awhile, the weekly score is what really counts.

- bert

Sir Furry Mark
Jul 7, 2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
What are you porting?

And great job people 10k, go yellow! :cool:

I could tell you, but then I would have to shoot you! ;)

Hmmm... it is a very large specialist application that has previously been ported to about 50 other platforms.

It started life on on Gould SELs and DEC PDP-11s - I got involved with it about 20 years ago. I've been involved in putting it onto some weird and wonderful platforms, ranging from Alliant supercomputers to DOS based PCs. I did port it to System 7 on a pile of Quadras a few years back. That was ... interesting. Not the hardest platform (that is a toss-up between the DG Eclipse and the Sperry Univac) but certainly challenging...

As far as I can make out, OSX looks a lot like Unix/XWindows, so I think this could actually turn out to be an easy job! :cool:

Nice to see your team in yellow occasionally, but you need to pick up production - we are still coming up behind you... :p