PDA

View Full Version : Post-Gay? Huh What?

Cindynjgirl79
Jun 7, 2007, 02:51 PM
So I saw this article (http://perezhilton.com/topics/mika/mika_comes_out_20070606.php)on perezhilton.com (http://perezhilton.com/). I do love Mika's music, and with him taking a stand about labels. I just like him a little bit more now.

So there is a thing called "Post-Gay". I didn't have a clue what it was. Never heard of it.

Then today Perez posted the definition (http://perezhilton.com/topics/word_of_the_week/word_of_the_week_20070607.php) of it today. So now I know what it is now. My best friend is post-gay, I just didn't know that he was. We just always called him a straight-gay. So what do you think of this new definition?

j26
Jun 7, 2007, 02:57 PM
I just call them people, who they love is none of my business, and I try not to define people by what they do. Post-Gay is just a meaningless label, most likely aimed at creating a marketing segment for "trendy" companies to exploit.

Salasm
Jun 7, 2007, 02:58 PM
are you gay? (< that was meant to be a serious inquiry) you seem to post a lot of gay-related threads lately. yes, you are new to the scene and talk of the town, but be careful girl you might get surrounded by the mods.

perezhilton.com... omg girl that stuff dont belong here. :wink:

Daveway
Jun 7, 2007, 03:04 PM
Of course Mika is gay. Sounds like he doesn't want to be labeled, maybe he is bi. Either way it sounds like he's taking the Elton John approach.
...and it's an Out magazine review.:rolleyes:

TheAnswer
Jun 7, 2007, 03:05 PM
Post-Gay...that is so FABULOUS. I like it, it's a keeper.

Cindynjgirl79
Jun 7, 2007, 03:43 PM
are you gay? (< that was meant to be a serious inquiry) you seem to post a lot of gay-related threads lately. yes, you are new to the scene and talk of the town, but be careful girl you might get surrounded by the mods.

perezhilton.com... omg girl that stuff dont belong here. :wink:

eh if the mods don't like what i'm posting i think they would let me know right? i try not to offend anyone, be mean to anyone, or put people down for their opinions. when i'm on here i play by the rules. trust me i love this place to much to do anything to get me band.

as for posting a lot of gay related threads, it's what i find that day. the other day i posted about the baby robot (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=310656&highlight=baby+robot). anything that i find interesting i post. gay or not gay themed.

as for me being gay............:D

yes, you are new to the scene and talk of the town, but be careful girl you might get surrounded by the mods.

ha ha ha really? talk of the town?!?! to funny! what have u heard? tell me everything!

yeah i know i'm n00b:( trust me i'm trying not to be.

darkwing
Jun 7, 2007, 03:48 PM
To me, post-gay would mean somebody who's no longer gay. Perhaps a better term for the definition provided in the link would be "gay his/her way." Or maybe "paragay"

Blue Velvet
Jun 7, 2007, 03:51 PM
yeah i know i'm n00b:( trust me i'm trying not to be.

You just keep on keeping on. :)

TheAnswer
Jun 7, 2007, 03:54 PM
"paragay"

Maybe that's the new popular term for us in Latin America. :D

En México, Yo soy solo para gueys. :p

Ugg
Jun 7, 2007, 06:57 PM
Perhaps he thinks the word gay belongs to the latter half of the 1900s and it's time to move on from a word with such strong connotations.

Personally I've always hated the word lover when used by gays. It always seemed so 70s. Yuck!

Cindynjgirl79
Jun 7, 2007, 09:28 PM
You just keep on keeping on. :)

solvs
Jun 8, 2007, 01:15 AM
Is this anything like metrosexual, or is it like, the opposite?

TheAnswer
Jun 8, 2007, 01:21 AM
Is this anything like metrosexual, or is it like, the opposite?

The problem with saying you're metrosexual (at least online) is that some guys will get confused and think you like girls. But if you say you're "straight-acting" then some people take offense at that. So post-gay is like metrosexual for straight-acting gay guys. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cindynjgirl79
Jun 8, 2007, 02:21 AM
So post-gay is like metrosexual for straight-acting gay guys. :confused: :confused: :confused:

yeah i think that is what they are trying to say.....i think:confused:

Abstract
Jun 8, 2007, 02:22 AM
I'm post-interested in what this Perez Hilton loser has to say.

aquajet
Jun 8, 2007, 02:38 AM
So post-gay is like metrosexual for straight-acting gay guys. :confused: :confused: :confused:

:)

Heh. I had to read that a few times. Time for bed I guess.

Mord
Jun 8, 2007, 03:11 AM
eh if the mods don't like what i'm posting i think they would let me know right? i try not to offend anyone, be mean to anyone, or put people down for their opinions. when i'm on here i play by the rules. trust me i love this place to much to do anything to get me band.

I trolled for 3 years, never any mod attention, I clean up my act and I get banned for three days. Go figure.

zami
Jun 8, 2007, 04:13 AM
Post-gay, pre-gay, who cares. He looks a right idiot that's all I know.

Queso
Jun 8, 2007, 04:24 AM
Why there's a need for a new label is anyone's guess, but it is true that as more and more gay people have come out of the closet the stereotypes about us have become less valid. In previous generations us "post-gay" ( :rolleyes: ) types possibly never would have come out at all, due to feeling disconnected with the idea of what a homosexual was presented as.

The gay scene and press are slowly catching on to this. Gay people don't just spend their time shopping and can actually listen to music other than hardcore dance or boybands. There's more recognition that sexuality isn't the one thing that defines us. We're just people, and as different from each other as the straights are.

It's a nice time to be gay. Hopefully it will continue to move in this direction until the one thing that is different doesn't matter at all.

arkitect
Jun 8, 2007, 04:53 AM
The gay scene and press are slowly catching on to this. Gay people don't just spend their time shopping and can actually listen to music other than hardcore dance or boybands. There's more recognition that sexuality isn't the one thing that defines us. We're just people, and as different from each other as the straights are.

Well said. :)
There is a lot about Gay culture I cannot find any connection with — kindof confusing sometimes if people expect you to live up to the stereotypes…

How often have I heard… "I would never have known you were gay…" Errm well yeah. :rolleyes: Not all gay men are Graham Norton clones. :p

zami
Jun 8, 2007, 09:38 AM
Why there's a need for a new label is anyone's guess, but it is true that as more and more gay people have come out of the closet the stereotypes about us have become less valid. In previous generations us "post-gay" ( :rolleyes: ) types possibly never would have come out at all, due to feeling disconnected with the idea of what a homosexual was presented as.

It's a nice time to be gay. Hopefully it will continue to move in this direction until the one thing that is different doesn't matter at all.

Well said:) , it is a nice time to be gay. I'm muslim, transgendered and proud to be so, the world is moving on. People are people, everything else is irrelevent.

Salasm
Jun 8, 2007, 11:09 AM
I trolled for 3 years, never any mod attention, I clean up my act and I get banned for three days. Go figure.

when cleaning up, remember to wipe front to back.

leekohler
Jun 8, 2007, 01:04 PM
I find that definition funny. :) Especially since Mika has a song called "Grace Kelly". And he doesn't relate to gay culture? ;) While I get the "labels" thing, I still think he's avoiding saying anything due to career interests.

solvs
Jun 11, 2007, 01:04 AM
The problem with saying you're metrosexual (at least online) is that some guys will get confused and think you like girls.

I do like girls.

Aniej
Jun 11, 2007, 01:13 AM
I'm post-interested in what this Perez Hilton loser has to say.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Honestly, do we read anything somewhat beneficial and insightful anymore or just worry about perez and paris hilton?:mad:

Xeem
Jun 11, 2007, 04:06 AM
To me, post-gay would mean somebody who's no longer gay.

I also assumed that it meant that; I've heard it used in that way before. I just hope "post-gay" doesn't become a wildly overused pop culture term like metrosexual did.

Thomas Veil
Jun 12, 2007, 10:38 AM
(Shrugs.) As a straight male, I have to admit I have no idea whether such a term as "post-gay" is needed. I can see the rationale behind it, though. As Arkitect alluded to, obviously gay culture isn't one monolithic concept, but as varied as any other type of culture.

To me, post-gay would mean somebody who's no longer gay.I thought the same thing. Before I read it, I thought this topic would be some baloney about "curing" gays. You know, like Ted Haggard. :p

Perhaps a better term for the definition provided in the link would be "gay his/her way." Or maybe "paragay"You know people. :rolleyes: They'll think "paragay" is a country in South America. :D

As to cindynjgirl posting a lot of gay-related topics...why should that attract the mods? At worst, if something gets too controversial it'll get moved to the Political/Social Issues forum. But every gay-related topic doesn't need to go there.

devilot
Jun 12, 2007, 10:43 AM
To me, post-gay would mean somebody who's no longer gay.I agree, that was my first thought, "Wait, so someone is no longer gay?!" But it's not the first time that such a phrasing is used in this manner, one that comes to my mind is postmodern (in terms of art, 'cause that's where I've seen it used :o) but wiki has a page on postmodernism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodernism). Shrug.

itcheroni
Jun 12, 2007, 03:20 PM
I also assumed that it meant that; I've heard it used in that way before. I just hope "post-gay" doesn't become a wildly overused pop culture term like metrosexual did.

Doubt it. It ain't catchy enough. Too many people will think it means a homosexual who went back in the closet (Ted Haggard).

MacRumorUser
Jun 12, 2007, 05:38 PM
I find that definition funny. :) Especially since Mika has a song called "Grace Kelly". And he doesn't relate to gay culture? ;) While I get the "labels" thing, I still think he's avoiding saying anything due to career interests.

Nah not in the UK/Europe, people really wouldnt give a ******

look at the UK's biggest selling album artists of last year "The Feeling", who's lead singer is gay (and fit)

Or Scissor Sisters who have basically moved to the UK

Or when the one from westlife came out and we all went.... so your gay... whatever....

Oh and lets face it gays / sorry guys ;) :D We've had a similar label ourselves. Those of that inclination and behaviour just used to label ourselves as 'Straight Acting' to describe the same thing as 'post-gay'... so it's not new - just repackaged..... :)

Queso
Jun 12, 2007, 05:45 PM
Or when the one from westlife came out and we all went.... so your gay... whatever....
I remember that was about as shocking as when H from Steps came out. Everyone was like "You mean people didn't just know?" :D

MacRumorUser
Jun 12, 2007, 05:51 PM
I remember that was about as shocking as when H from Steps came out. Everyone was like "You mean people didn't just know?" :D

OMG! H is gay :eek: Noooooo - we don't want him ;) :D

Last year we had a reality show for Eurovision here in Ireland and again the brother and sister that won, well when the sister announced she was gay in the papers - hoping it would create a bit of a stir, everyone was just went :rolleyes: :rolleyes: yeah.. and ? Unfortunately that was there only angle - when people didn't care - they disappeared into nothingness.

Maybe that's what "post gay" should mean.

POST GAY = a case of :rolleyes: lets move on.

edit... loving the new avatar D you dirty dog ;)

biturbomunkie
Jun 12, 2007, 09:31 PM
so post doesn't mean after? :confused:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Honestly, do we read anything somewhat beneficial and insightful anymore or just worry about perez and paris hilton?:mad:

hahaha don't be mean. paris likes it long and hard too.

http://socialitelife.com/images/2007/05/paris_053107_03.jpg

solvs
Jun 13, 2007, 02:04 AM
Well, she does use a Mac, so she can't be all bad. :o