PDA

View Full Version : Renaming Songs

pavvento
Jun 12, 2007, 01:49 PM
I have a lot of songs, that for whatever reason appear as the band name, track number, then song title all as the song title (ex: Dave Matthews Band 06 Sattelite). This is really annoying and I can't see half of my song titles on the ipod. I renamed the songs in Windows (on my old computer) before transferring them over, I renamed them in the music folder on the Mac, but they still show up like this in itunes and the ipod. Any ideas?

Jun 12, 2007, 01:57 PM
Rename the song within iTunes, not in the Finder. There is a program named iEatBrainz that gets all the info for the songs, but I don't trust it a lot, it would make mistakes sometimes.

So try renaming them within iTunes.

Jun 12, 2007, 04:32 PM
I have a lot of songs, that for whatever reason appear as the band name, track number, then song title all as the song title (ex: Dave Matthews Band 06 Sattelite). This is really annoying and I can't see half of my song titles on the ipod. I renamed the songs in Windows (on my old computer) before transferring them over, I renamed them in the music folder on the Mac, but they still show up like this in itunes and the ipod. Any ideas?

Try this (http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=filenamestosongnames) iTunes script. "This script will rename the selected tracks in iTunes with their filenames (minus the extension)."

pavvento
Jun 12, 2007, 06:09 PM
thanks for the replies, one more question. I've renamed all of the songs in iTunes. When I go to file and 'add to library', will all of the files be renamed back to what they were and all of my work lost? Thanks.

X5-452
Jun 13, 2007, 12:54 AM
No. When you rename files in iTunes it changes the ID3 tag's which are built into the mp3 files. So if you send them to a friend, get a new computer and reupload them to iTunes, they'll always say the same thing they do now.