PDA

View Full Version : Flash Mobs?? WTF is this all about!?!?

sparkleytone
Jul 5, 2003, 12:20 PM
anyone know what this is about??

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,59518,00.html

Mr. Anderson
Jul 5, 2003, 01:55 PM
Ha, now that's pretty nuts!

I'm thinking it might even be fun doing one in DC.....;)

Anyone who hears about one in this area, let me know - the pics alone might be worth going...

D

WinterMute
Jul 5, 2003, 03:34 PM
Ha, reminds me of the Larry Niven story "The Last Days of the Permenant Floating Riot Club", 'course, they had matter transporters, but its a similar idea.

Rower_CPU
Jul 5, 2003, 05:04 PM
Hmmm, what's the purpose behind them, though? The article doesn't really say.

Or is it just performance art for the sake of causing a ruckus?

G4scott
Jul 5, 2003, 05:29 PM
These things sound like fun :D

I wonder how easily they can be organized at a college campus?

I know they have been able to organize a major food fight at the college I'm going to... I guess it was kinda like a flash mob, except it wasn't a flash... It went on for 5 minutes...

I think it'd actually be pretty neat to see one in action.

3rdpath
Jul 5, 2003, 06:34 PM
this is funny stuff...i'd do it if they had a gathering in l.a.( and i had the time...)

i was a co-organizer of a huge food fight while in college.

on parent's day no less.:D

rainman::|:|
Jul 5, 2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Hmmm, what's the purpose behind them, though? The article doesn't really say.

Or is it just performance art for the sake of causing a ruckus?

Well the article explains part of it as a sense of community. I could see the attraction to being part of a group like this. But I think, overall, they're just done because the people can do it. Just a few individuals, no matter what their rank in society, can grab headlines. And it provides that wonderful "what the hell?" factor for the rest of the general population... To see a mob suddenly form, do something specific, and then quietly disband would be so damn weird...

can't get too much into the "is it art" arguement, because I damn near always give artists and exhibits the benefit of the doubt, but in this case I think "art" is a bit too strong a term... There's no meaning or point, unless the meaningless *is* the point, in which case, welcome to every art project ever done in sophomore college art class.

still, i do wish we had one of these around here, i'd be in... :) Sounds fun!

pnw

voicegy
Jul 6, 2003, 01:59 AM
Hardly Performance Art. In its heyday, this was an excellent form of expression and done by artists with intent and almost always a message to take away. Heck, Whoopie Goldberg was doing performance art in our own local Sushi Gallery before she moved to San Francisco and, a year later, appeared in The Color Purple.

Rachel Rosenthal, Yoko Ono, The Kipper Kids, Paul Best...the list goes on. Oh, those were the days for serious performance. Although I admit that these little mob gatherings have their appeal, like anything else loosely organized and involving the general public on a regular basis for no purpose whatsoever than to be involved in a "rumble", these soon will be cracked down upon, banned, and otherwise distrupted when a few jerks ruin the fun, and the cops start getting hip to the e-mail lists and show up well before the gathering.

Stelliform
Jul 6, 2003, 01:55 PM
No offense to you guys... But I have to wonder who is that bored to go a participate in one of these?

I am sure it is surreal, but I can't see myself going out of my way to participate.

Just call me a fuddy duddy. :)

jbomber
Jul 7, 2003, 01:28 AM
just wait til they toss nudity into the mix.

fatfish
Jul 7, 2003, 07:38 PM
Obviously not mac users.

Sounds like something you'd do when you get bored with your PC