PDA

View Full Version : Safari for Windows Updated to 3.0.1

MacRumors
Jun 14, 2007, 09:26 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

After security concerns (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/12/safari-beta-security-slammed;-8-vulnerabilities-found/) about Apple's new Safari Beta for Windows arose earlier this week, Apple has issued an update to Safari for Windows.

According to Macworld (http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/06/14/safari/index.php), the update addresses a number of security issues:

The security improvements in Safari Beta 3.0.1 include correction for a "command injection vulnerability," corrected with additional processing and validation of URLs that could otherwise lead to an unexpected termination of the browser; an out-of-bounds memory read issue; and a race condition that can allow cross-site scripting using a JavaScript exploit

The new version is available through Apple's software update or downloaded from Apple's site (http://www.apple.com/safari/download/). The Macintosh version of Safari 3 is not vulnerable to these issues.

Eidorian
Jun 14, 2007, 09:28 AM
Time to run Software Update.

Looks like Apple is on the ball when it comes to closing security holes.

Jun 14, 2007, 09:28 AM
The Macintosh version of Safari 3 is not vulnerable to these issues.
:)

Good that they fix it this quickly. Speaks good of Apple.

mmccaskill
Jun 14, 2007, 09:36 AM
Not only are they very quick with fixing the security holes, but they fix them before they officially release it, unlike M$.

studiomusic
Jun 14, 2007, 09:38 AM
So, did they send out a buggy beta while they had the fixes in the wings just to show the PC world that they can get a fix out within a few days?
If they did do that, was it worth the bad press for the bugs?

lazyrighteye
Jun 14, 2007, 09:42 AM
Releasing an update 3 DAYS after the beta went public...

That is seriously the funniest thing I've heard today.
Granted, it is early... but still. 3 days.

Then you toss in "the Macintosh version of Safari 3 is not vulnerable to these issues" and it gets even funnier.

spaz8
Jun 14, 2007, 09:43 AM
So I uninstalled the OSX version for nothin :( When i saw the secuirty issues, i didnt wanna be doing my online banking with the beta.

Much Ado
Jun 14, 2007, 09:44 AM

:confused:

Release a beta. Reports come back of some issues. Fixed within 3 days.

I'm happy with that.

epochblue
Jun 14, 2007, 09:45 AM
Good to know they're on the ball about this one. Perhaps that'll quell some of the nay-sayers....sadly, I doubt it, though.

So, did they send out a buggy beta while they had the fixes in the wings just to show the PC world that they can get a fix out within a few days?

What? Why would anyone do that? This is beta software...it's going to have bugs...the fact that they're getting such bad press for their BETA software is beyond me.

Sky Blue
Jun 14, 2007, 09:45 AM
Still crashes when you do anything in XP.

Rocketman
Jun 14, 2007, 09:48 AM
Some of the user feedback that is more relevant to end users has to do with "features" offered by Firefox and Opera. Perhaps Apple could implement some of the features in Safari under an "alternate interface" similar to what "Sprint" did with word processing in the late 80's. That word processor had "interfaces" for Wordstar, Word Perfect, Word, and about a dozen others, while the underlyinjg program was a kernal. It allowed users of "any" word processor to use it with no learning curve, and some users used it to convert files from one format to another.

Rocketman

zero2dash
Jun 14, 2007, 09:49 AM
Not only are they very quick with fixing the security holes, but they fix them before they officially release it, unlike M$.

If you think there won't be more Safari patching done post-release, then you're kidding yourself. :cool:

I applaud Apple for rectifying the problems quickly...and I still think they need to change their "secure from day one" tagline. :o

epochblue
Jun 14, 2007, 09:49 AM

?
I'm running XP and I haven't really had any problems....what're you doing with it?

jope76
Jun 14, 2007, 09:50 AM

Not getting that behaviour over here. Runs fine on XP.

guzhogi
Jun 14, 2007, 09:53 AM
Kinda sad it had bugs in the first place, but happy they got fixed quickly!

zombitronic
Jun 14, 2007, 09:53 AM
To be fair, Firefox has been good about keeping their browser stable, but I'm really glad to see that Apple is making such an effort, as well. Despite the naysayers, this is what's gonna grow Safari's portion of the pie-chart. Kudos, Cupertino!

BKF
Jun 14, 2007, 09:54 AM
I'm glad they're on this. I mean, I know it's a beta, but you still get the feeling that they wanted this out the door before the iPhone release, and that the calendar got the best of them on this.

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 09:55 AM
whatever, this patch is good, apple's Beta debut with a huge PR campaign, the security holes exposes large amount of users to the risks, so a patch is very necessary.

for whoever claim apple patched the hole before "release", please, u are literally betting on apple's final version of safari for windows will NOT have any security hole in the future? Thats just such an ignorant statement.

next step for safari: make it native, make it support localized windows (i heard report saying it doesn't display font correctly with chinese and korean version of windows), make webkit mature, make it more flexible, make tab browsing better.

BKF
Jun 14, 2007, 09:56 AM
If you think there won't be more Safari patching done post-release, then you're kidding yourself. :cool:

I applaud Apple for rectifying the problems quickly...and I still think they need to change their "secure from day one" tagline. :o

Agree, but "Secure from day three" doesn't have the same ring.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 14, 2007, 09:57 AM
Still crashes when you do anything in XP.So it would seem...

Here's what happens when I'm trying to add a bookmark:

Fantastic... :rolleyes:

Ubuntu
Jun 14, 2007, 10:01 AM

That is seriously the funniest thing I've heard today.
Granted, it is early... but still. 3 days.

Then you toss in "the Macintosh version of Safari 3 is not vulnerable to these issues" and it gets even funnier.

Do you know how Betas work?

MrCrowbar
Jun 14, 2007, 10:04 AM
Rumor has it, the execution of command line stuff still works and was not fixed...

Safari works great on my Mac (on OSX). Never crashed, uber fast, way more stable than Firefox. I like it.

PNW
Jun 14, 2007, 10:05 AM
This is beta software...it's going to have bugs...the fact that they're getting such bad press for their BETA software is beyond me.

Cause they pimped it, and because Apple is branded as "it just works". Combine the two and you get people that don't realize that Safari 3 is still at day < 0

On another note:
I've generally found it to run more smoothly on my XP box than the first version of IE7 that M$ attempted to push out in a windows update.

epochblue
Jun 14, 2007, 10:06 AM
Kinda sad it had bugs in the first place, but happy they got fixed quickly!

Kinda sad it had bugs in the first place? When was the last time you wrote software that doesn't have bugs? I hope that's a joke.....

next step for safari: ... make webkit mature, make it more flexible, make tab browsing better.

What's wrong with their tabbed browsing? I think it works pretty well, and it's definitely a vast improvement over Safari2, and if you want my opinion, I think WebKit is maturing rather nicely. I'd put it up against the Gecko engine just about anyday as far as maturity and standards compliance goes.

ccunning
Jun 14, 2007, 10:09 AM
This is great news. I'm surprised and impressed with Apples quick response, however I think I'll wait a bit longer before downloading it for Windows. I have however been running it on my iBook. It is very much improved over version 2. The two things that kept my using Firefox have been fixed. Searching in place and it now works for me with Gmail which I could not get to work with Safari 2. My only remaining grip is that there is no way to open links in new tabs by default. I would even settle for a keyboard shortcut for the Merge Windows function (which I love) instead.

Kazr
Good to know they're on the ball about this one. Perhaps that'll quell some of the nay-sayers....sadly, I doubt it, though.

What? Why would anyone do that? This is beta software...it's going to have bugs...the fact that they're getting such bad press for their BETA software is beyond me.

Speaking as a developer, I would expect beta software to be a bit rough round the edges. It would appear that Safari (at least on Windows) is *rougher* than expected - hence the bad press.

Just a thought.

Evangelion

Um, they HAVE officially released it. It was released during the keynote, and it's prominently available for download in apple.com.

BTW: How do I update on Windows? There is no "check for updates"-option.

zombitronic
I know that right now, Safari makes up about 5% of web browsers running on Windows. I'm not suggesting that with news of bug fixes alone Safari is going to blow up and take over Explorer, or even Firefox anytime soon, but just as a comparison of running software, does anyone know the percentages when comparing iTunes, Media Player, and WinAmp?

backspinner
So it would seem...

you are running in another language than english, the beta is missing the right language files

dernhelm
Jun 14, 2007, 10:11 AM
Agree, but "Secure from day three" doesn't have the same ring.

HA! Great response.

"Secure from day one" is not a tagline people! It was a marketing line that was added at the end of a long list of stuff on a page. They are indicating that security was not an after thought during it's design. They do not claim that it will never have a vulnerability.

Seriously, it isn't like that line is in your face all the time, or that it comes up in a splash screen everytime you launch the app. Get over it.

Maccus Aurelius
Jun 14, 2007, 10:12 AM
Sweet......yet is pointless for me, since I can't even use the beta, as I keep getting the alert that my drive is not suitable :(

Evangelion
Jun 14, 2007, 10:13 AM

That doesn't fly. They made a huge splash with the release, it's available for download right at their frontpage, they are encouraging people to install it, they are bragging how it's secure "from day one"... And when they find huge holes in it, we are supposed to ignore them because "it's beta".

If it's beta, why are they encouraging people to install it? Why are they claiming that it's secure?

devwild
Jun 14, 2007, 10:13 AM
Now how about fixing it so it minimizes properly, uses native font rendering, uses standard fields so it can be recognized for tablet input, and stick the file menus up top like in itunes so the title bar doesn't look so fat? :)

gzfelix
Jun 14, 2007, 10:15 AM
And, there is another great bug in Safari for Windows:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1260/548120975_c060dca3ef.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/felixwong/548120975/)
And the correct page should be (in Firefox):
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1371/548129929_f7bf92e705.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/felixwong/548129929/)
I seriously doubt that if Apple sees this REAL problem.

dernhelm
Jun 14, 2007, 10:15 AM
Sure wish they fix the proxy support. I'd love to play with this for a while at work (the only place I have a windows machine).

Kenn Marks
Jun 14, 2007, 10:17 AM
So I uninstalled the OSX version for nothin :( When i saw the secuirty issues, i didnt wanna be doing my online banking with the beta.

If you have ever done any BETA testing for any other organization there is always the disclaimer: "to back up your systems before loading and that we are not responsible for any damage to data or system corruption". So to try online banking within the first week of a Beta release is like Russian Roulette. Usually the first couple weeks of testing should be for interface inconsistencies then when those stabilities are resolved then you should resort to a sandboxed version of your OS to test more secure issues with the new software. If you have a sandboxed OS then you can arrange with you bank to demo their online banking services. You cannot even be sure with IE that you won't compromise your banking transactions because of all the security incursions that that particular program permits. Good Luck and a happy BETA experience.

devwild
Jun 14, 2007, 10:18 AM
If it's beta, why are they encouraging people to install it? Why are they claiming that it's secure?

For testing sake - really it provides them the feedback they need to fix it.

Microsoft pulled similar tactics with IE7, the results of which were even more devastating for office folks who bit at the download page. Not to say it's right, just saying that foolish methods in this market don't stand alone. ;)

lazyrighteye
Jun 14, 2007, 10:18 AM

That thought crossed my mind as well: that Apple knew of these seemingly glaring holes but released it anyway with the idea of looking like the good guys for addressing said holes as quickly as they did.

Then the practical side of me kicked in with a "that's too ballsy, even for Apple."

Neat.

flopticalcube
Jun 14, 2007, 10:20 AM
It feels a bit more Alpha than Beta really but then browsers work with hostile material (really crappy web pages) and this one is in a particularly hostile environment ;) so some slack is due, I guess.

I had about the same number of issues with Gran Paradiso when it came out as Alpha 1 but it didn't look nearly as good as Safari on Windows.

macinfojunkie
Jun 14, 2007, 10:21 AM
Macworld.com reported this almost two hours ago. Come on MR. Keep your eye on the ball :D

But seriously though, good to see Apple fix their mistakes so quickly. Shame about all the negative press that somewhat tarnished the first Windows release though.

surferfromuk
Jun 14, 2007, 10:21 AM

works great on my XP - Haven't used another browser since it landed...

dernhelm
Jun 14, 2007, 10:22 AM
Um, they HAVE officially released it. It was released during the keynote, and it's prominently available for download in apple.com.

BTW: How do I update on Windows? There is no "check for updates"-option.

You should have gotten an "Apple Software Update" app also installed on your computer with the Safari beta. I already had it from downloading iTunes and quicktime - so I'm not sure if the Safari beta would install it or not.

Much Ado
Jun 14, 2007, 10:22 AM
It feels a bit more Alpha than Beta.

You need to go out and try more Alphas, my friend ;)

epochblue
Jun 14, 2007, 10:24 AM
That doesn't fly. They made a huge splash with the release, it's available for download right at their frontpage, they are encouraging people to install it, they are bragging how it's secure "from day one"... And when they find huge holes in it, we are supposed to ignore them because "it's beta".

I'm not saying they should be touting how secure it is and all that (especially while it's still in beta), but what I'm saying is that people seem to be shocked that it's not perfect software. It's in public beta....it's not a final release. You can only find so many bugs in-house....the more nefarious bugs will ALWAYS be found once it's released to the public.

And in no way am I saying these security holes and bugs should be ignored - quite the opposite; they should be fixed ASAP. I'm just saying that everyone lashing out at Apple because they released some beta software so they could get kinks worked out before a final release is ridiculous.

RogueLdr
Jun 14, 2007, 10:26 AM
With tabbed browsing enabled, the tab bar is suppressed when there would be only one tab.

Is this new to 3.0.1 or was it something that came in with 3.0?

Either way I like it!

AppleNoob
Jun 14, 2007, 10:26 AM
Great news! :)

glamage
Jun 14, 2007, 10:27 AM
This has also fixed my windows bug...

the bug was not showing any text within the browser bars, I saw a few other people who expirienced this bug. This now works fine and Im happy with the speed apple updated this.

I think safari for PC is great news for webdevelopers. I certainly welcome the ability to test in safari on my windows work machine.

zzcoop
Jun 14, 2007, 10:28 AM
So it would seem...

Perhaps it's some sort of punishment for running the Windows version of Safari in Parallels when you're already, y'know... on a Mac to begin with.

macinfojunkie
Jun 14, 2007, 10:29 AM
If you have ever done any BETA testing for any other organization there is always the disclaimer: "to back up your systems before loading and that we are not responsible for any damage to data or system corruption". So to try online banking within the first week of a Beta release is like Russian Roulette. Usually the first couple weeks of testing should be for interface inconsistencies then when those stabilities are resolved then you should resort to a sandboxed version of your OS to test more secure issues with the new software. If you have a sandboxed OS then you can arrange with you bank to demo their online banking services. You cannot even be sure with IE that you won't compromise your banking transactions because of all the security incursions that that particular program permits. Good Luck and a happy BETA experience.

You are right to a point, but this is a public beta, i.e. designed to get wider feedback from the public about compatibility and stability - not a closed beta as you would have internally with a in-house app for example. Having security issues for which there are already vulnerabilities is a glaring omission and Apple's halo should not protect them from justified wrath.

Even the Mac version has caused problems for people hanging machines so Apple seemed to have rushed something at the unnecessary risk of their end users.

Protection against known security issues and the stability of the installer not to do harm are not too much to ask from a public beta IMHO. I hope Apple has learnt from this otherwise it is going to do long term harm to their claims and credibility that their software "just works".

I've uninstalled it now and luckily had no issues. But will not install Apple beta software on anything other than a test system again.

eenu
Jun 14, 2007, 10:30 AM
i wont be touching this until after release it caused kernal panics everytime i opened adium on my iMac.... obviously it broke/interefered with webkit.

j33pd0g
Jun 14, 2007, 10:30 AM
It crashes on start-up on XP, running on Virtual PC. Don't really need it since I have Safari on OS X... I just wanted to see it in action.

kresh
Jun 14, 2007, 10:36 AM
The first beta, nor the update will load on my machine.

Safari for Windows is a POS in my view. It was plain to see from Steve's keynote that Apple is ripping planned features out of Leopard, and their engineers are spread too thin on too many projects (iPhone, Safari 4 Win). He hardly had anything to talk about and his presentation was terribly sub-par. MS rips features out and gets blasted while Apple gets away with it, the difference is that MS is transparent on their product roadmap.

There is no doubt in my mind that Apple Computer Inc. becoming Apple Inc. shows just how much Steve has taken his eyes off the Mac platform!

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/17525/2000500130135536832_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000500130135536832)

Do you think Microsoft would like for me to send the error report :rolleyes:

pgwalsh
Jun 14, 2007, 10:37 AM
So it would seem...

Fantastic... :rolleyes: It would help if you actually showed the error report and not just the dialog box. Someone might be able to help you out.

Safari for Windows is a POS in my view. There is no doubt in my mind that Apple Computer Inc. becoming Apple Inc. shows just how much Steve has taken his eyes off the Mac platform!

Please post the data in the error report.

dashiel
Jun 14, 2007, 10:39 AM
It feels a bit more Alpha than Beta really but then browsers work with hostile material (really crappy web pages) and this one is in a particularly hostile environment ;) so some slack is due, I guess.

curse google/web 2.0 and their abuse of the beta label!

alpha - feature incomplete, almost always tested internally, though some companies have started to release alphas to select developers. adobe being one.

beta - feature complete. released to a wider non-internal audience. sometimes private/invitation only, sometimes open to all for real world testing looking for bugs/security holes, etc...

safari 3 - is a beta.

apple's only clear mistake in the safari 3 release for window was using the "secure from day one" tag. that was bound to wind up apple haters looking to knock apple down a peg or two. open for more debate would be releasing it as a full public beta first, though who knows maybe it's been in private beta for a while too.

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 10:40 AM
What's wrong with their tabbed browsing? I think it works pretty well, and it's definitely a vast improvement over Safari2, and if you want my opinion, I think WebKit is maturing rather nicely. I'd put it up against the Gecko engine just about anyday as far as maturity and standards compliance goes.

1. all major windows browser support single window mode, maybe many osx users don't mind pressing some key when clicking a link, but I don't think windows user will buy that.

2. try protopage.com, which is my homepage, in both firefox/opera, the link on the page can be opened in new tab by default, but in safari for windows, there is no way to do it, right click, left click, middle click, click while press any key, just can't do it!

3. Webkit is mature enough on mac, but not on windows, webkit/KHTML is not set out to be cross-platform like gecko, thats why its been so few progress in porting KHTML to windows, and as u can see, many ppl can't get it to render page properly under windows, that kind of instability is "not mature enough" IMHO.

brianus
Jun 14, 2007, 10:41 AM
What on earth is keeping them from implenting a "new tab" button? The thing is in version 3 already. This is the most obvious missing feature imaginable. What is their problem? Some Windows users who've tried it apparently don't even realize the tabbed browsing feature is there. Really really dumb to make such a fundamental feature accessible only by keyboard shortcut or menu.

rjwill246
Jun 14, 2007, 10:42 AM
To be fair, Firefox has been good about keeping their browser stable, but I'm really glad to see that Apple is making such an effort, as well. Despite the naysayers, this is what's gonna grow Safari's portion of the pie-chart. Kudos, Cupertino!

I still have Firefox quit unexpectedly more often than I would like-- much rarer on Safari and so far the beta has performed flawlessly. To my surprise it is running on my wife's G4 iBook faster than on my dual G5 tower, though it is no slouch on that, either. I need to empty that cache more often ;-)
On the iBook-- depending on site traffic etc-- the home page is loaded by the time I have lifted my finger off the return key. True, I have up to 7 mbs download speeds for optimum times on all the Macs at home.

This is one smart move on Apple's part and even if there are lots of problems to start with-- and we may be hearing from a minority of users in that regard-- over time, the need for Safari and just its general utility will have it make inroads into IE's continually dropping market-share.

I do wish Safari could resize images like Opera does! That cannot be too hard to do and makes for a more logical experience if you want to enlarge the text for some reason. Apple?

geerlingguy
Jun 14, 2007, 10:44 AM

I've only had one crash in XP in three days - something else must be up with your system.

The only big problem I've had is that if I'm downloading something, and click the close button on the last open Safari window, the download will stop and disappear without any warning. In Safari for the Mac, a message window will pop up asking if you really want to quit...

peharri
Jun 14, 2007, 10:45 AM
Still crashes on start-up on my old, non-SSE, Athlon, reporting an illegal instruction in coregraphics.dll.

One day it'll work...

Can't get it to run under Wine on my Core Duo Thinkpad at home either (just will not official install, and I get a wierd error message about the C run time library or something. Oh well, getting anything to run under Wine without a full install of Windows is an exercise in frustration in general.

kresh
Jun 14, 2007, 10:45 AM

Sorry I had already uninstalled it before reading your post.

geerlingguy
Jun 14, 2007, 10:47 AM
What on earth is keeping them from implenting a "new tab" button? The thing is in version 3 already. This is the most obvious missing feature imaginable. What is their problem? Some Windows users who've tried it apparently don't even realize the tabbed browsing feature is there. Really really dumb to make such a fundamental feature accessible only by keyboard shortcut or menu.

For the same reason the mighty mouse has 'one' button (even though it actually has two). Apple sticks to the KISS mantra; and for many users, that's perfectly fine for them.

The main time I, or anyone else uses tabs is when I click a link to another page that I'd like to read soon, but not now. I'll hold down the command key. My Mom right-clicks (control-clicks) and clicks 'open link in new tab.' Having a button on the bar doesn't allow you to open a link in a new tab...

But it would be nice to have it as an option, like the font size buttons.

peharri

Safari for Windows is a POS in my view. It was plain to see from Steve's keynote that Apple is ripping planned features out of Leopard, and their engineers are spread too thin on too many projects (iPhone, Safari 4 Win). He hardly had anything to talk about and his presentation was terribly sub-par. MS rips features out and gets blasted while Apple gets away with it, the difference is that MS is transparent on their product roadmap.

There is no doubt in my mind that Apple Computer Inc. becoming Apple Inc. shows just how much Steve has taken his eyes off the Mac platform!

That's about what I get.

You know, the obvious thing for Apple to do here is to check the CPU the thing is installing on conforms to the minimum spec required by whatever compilation options they're using. They'd look infinitely more professional if they did that.

Squonk

The tagline is fine. Day one starts when the software goes general distribution, right? :rolleyes: ;) :p

pgwalsh
Jun 14, 2007, 10:49 AM
Well I just downloaded it within Parallels, which took less than a minute and it installed fine. Works fine and I'm posting from it right now. I'm using Windows XP Professional. I'll try it on a windows xp home/intel and pro/amd. Did you shut down your anti-virus, defender and any other bot applications before installing?

Lycanthrope
Jun 14, 2007, 10:49 AM
If Microslopped patched an IE bug within three days of it being reported then it would make the front pages :)

So far so good on my Pro, it's running just lovely and I like the new look. I won't run it on Windoze anyway, Windoze is for those rare programs that I can't get on OSX and the occasional necessary use of IE, not for everyday pleasure.

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 10:50 AM
The tagline is fine. Day one starts when the software goes general distribution, right?

oh, please, so how about add some word at the end of that sentence:

secure from day one-(note: after the final release, we don't mean secure from day one of this beta)

LOL

and

Are you saying final release of safari for windows will have NO security holes in the future?Did you shut down your anti-virus, defender and any other bot applications before installing?

why?

kresh
Jun 14, 2007, 10:52 AM
Well I just downloaded it within Parallels, which took less than a minute and it installed fine. Works fine and I'm posting from it right now. I'm using Windows XP Professional. I'll try it on a windows xp home/intel and pro/amd. Did you shut down your anti-virus, defender and any other bot applications before installing?

If I have to shut down AV and the firewall to run the browser, what's the point as I will definantly get something worse than a POS Safari browser out of that deal :) :eek: :)

TiAdiMundo
Jun 14, 2007, 10:53 AM
Didn't Apple test the beta version internally? The security issues could easily be found (after 2 hours)! /me thinks a public beta version is to find complex bugs or small issues. But on Vista, Safari couldn't render even the (very complex) Google start page with all six hyperlinks! And using any bookmarking feature forces Safari to crash. So what should I test with this one?

Apple: please do your work first, than ask us about helping you to find bugs you couldn't find. Thanks.

pgwalsh
Jun 14, 2007, 10:54 AM
On thing I noticed is Safari is using more than twice the memory of Explorer. That's not good.

zzcoop
Jun 14, 2007, 10:54 AM
I still can't figure out why anybody would want to run an Apple app, on a Mac, in a Windows emulator. Is it just morbid curiousity?

Kenn Marks
Jun 14, 2007, 10:55 AM

Not to say that the bugs found were not a potential threat but they were found by BUG Hounds (security researchers - see June 12th MacRumors article) people who's job it is to find holes in software they actually have competitions to find or break software. Usually they do it for a fee to help companies secure their software, the fee being for how the found the problem - saves the company money in reinventing the wheel (Problem). Had those same problems been found by you and I then there would be a lot to SCREAM about. Yes it was serious, but it's fixed and the BUG Hounds are still trying to find other holes and the rest of us are just trying to make it a typically Apple friendly experience.

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 10:55 AM
I still can't figure out why anybody would want to run an Apple app, on a Mac, in a Windows emulator. Is it just morbid curiousity?

curiosity. and I like it, comments based on experience are always good.

pgwalsh
Jun 14, 2007, 10:57 AM
If I have to shut down AV and the firewall to run the browser, what's the point as I will definantly get something worse than a POS Safari browser out of that deal :) :eek: :) Not the firewall, but sometimes there's conflicts with anti-virus applications during the "install" process. A lot of windows applications ask you to shut down any anti-virus programs you have running. You don't see it as much as you used to, but sometimes conflicts arise.

p0intblank
Jun 14, 2007, 10:57 AM
Apple is always so fast with security updates. :)

Squonk
Jun 14, 2007, 10:59 AM

secure from day one-(note: after the final release, we don't mean secure from day one of this beta)

LOL

OOPS - I missed my Wink and Rolls Eyes... I'll be editing that directly...

iPoodOverZune
Jun 14, 2007, 10:59 AM
So it would seem...

On windows side: It crashes even when you try to report a buy by clicking on the bug icon! :rolleyes:

On mac side: almost everything else worked for me (I mean at least no crashes) but the windows wont close on clicking damn the red button. Mini/Maxi-mizing work but cross does not! :mad:

:mad: :) :D The button far on left here does not work for Safari on Mac for me.

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
Not the firewall, but sometimes there's conflicts with anti-virus applications. A lot of windows applications ask you to shut down any anti-virus programs you have running. You don't see it as much as you used to, but sometimes conflicts arise.

its understandable. But it didn't ask my AVG to be disable, so I doubt its the case. Also, when softwares installation ask user to disable FW/AV and reboot, it usually means the modification of some deep level stuff, doesn't feel good.

Apple is always so fast with security updates.

this time, yes, but generally, apple's security patch is behind rivals.

pgwalsh
Jun 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
Because you're a web developer and it's good to see if there's a difference in rendering. Because you want to help with the beta process. Not sure why it's a "morbid curiosity."

kresh
Jun 14, 2007, 11:01 AM
Not the firewall, but sometimes there's conflicts with anti-virus applications during the "install" process. A lot of windows applications ask you to shut down any anti-virus programs you have running. You don't see it as much as you used to, but sometimes conflicts arise.

OIC, I will reinstall with all processes killed (after I disconnect the ethernet cable) and give it another try with nothing else running.

Corrosive vinyl
Jun 14, 2007, 11:02 AM
is this just a windows software update? because I don't have any updates that I can install through software update.

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 11:03 AM
is this just a windows software update? because I don't have any updates that I can install through software update.
yes

pgwalsh
Jun 14, 2007, 11:03 AM
its understandable. But it didn't ask my AVG to be disable, so I doubt its the case. Also, when softwares installation ask user to disable FW/AV and reboot, it usually means the modification of the some deep level stuff, doesn't feel good.
.You mean probably a registry entry. Probably. Certainly with quicktime. AVG is great, but I would recommend shutting it down while you install an application. You can disable your internet connection for 10 if you feel necessary. Good practice on a windows machine as far as I'm concerned.

tobor68
Jun 14, 2007, 11:06 AM
is safari 3 on tiger still supposed to have the brushed metal look? there's no way to get in the unified look?

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 11:07 AM
You mean probably a registry entry. Probably. Certainly with quicktime. AVG is great, but I would recommend shutting it down while you install an application. You can disable your internet connection for 10 if you feel necessary. Good practice on a windows machine as far as I'm concerned.

hehe, I consider myself pretty cautious when working on a windows machine and my old XP laptop with same installation of OS for 4 years w/o problem. But you definitely out -cautious then me on this.

PS, u are right, I tried to install safari on my linux box through wine, it failed for sure, but then when I check registry, God it wrote a lot in there.

pgwalsh
Jun 14, 2007, 11:09 AM
OIC, I will reinstall with all processes killed (after I disconnect the ethernet cable) and give it another try with nothing else running.
I totally understand if you think that's a pita (pain in the ...) and if it works great. Hopefully these issues will be fixed in the final version. just out of curiosity are you using home or pro?

porky
Jun 14, 2007, 11:10 AM
So it would seem...

Look at my site: www.itware.be, it look's terrible with the PC version of Safari, you can't even read the menu. Firefox is no problem.

WannaGoMac
Jun 14, 2007, 11:11 AM
:)

Good that they fix it this quickly. Speaks good of Apple.

It also speaks WELL of apple :)

Sorry, pet peeve of mine...

j33pd0g
Jun 14, 2007, 11:12 AM
It crashes on start-up on XP, running on Virtual PC. Don't really need it since I have Safari on OS X... I just wanted to see it in action.

OK, here is a screen of my error message... for some reason I can't copy and paste the actual error.

I do see that it says my System is Windows NT 5.1. I am running XP Home Edition. I don't know if it matters much, but iTunes works fine.

porky
Jun 14, 2007, 11:13 AM
Look at my site: www.itware.be, it look's terrible with the PC version of Safari, you can't even read the menu. Firefox is no problem.

Update: and it crashes (Windows XP Home) also when adding a bookmark!

Apple what's wrong?

nsbio
Jun 14, 2007, 11:14 AM
Safari 3.01 was even featured on a Russian general news web site (it does not usually mention Apple), which noted that even after the recent update "the best browser" still had huge issues, such as crashing upon using Autofill or failure to display bold Cyrillic fonts and such.

I think that Apple should not have touted Safari for Windows "the best browser", especially in its beta form, because encountering all those issues with Apple's "best" will put many people off anything Apple among PC-centric audience.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 14, 2007, 11:15 AM
you are running in another language than english, the beta is missing the right language filesWhat other language...? I might be from Norway, but OS X, Parallels and Win XP are all English installs... :confused:

But, on the upside, the Mac version of the Safari 3 beta seems flawless... (even if I'm not tried it much, since I'm a Firefox user currently with Camino as default browser ;))

TiAdiMundo
Jun 14, 2007, 11:17 AM
Not the firewall, but sometimes there's conflicts with anti-virus applications during the "install" process. A lot of windows applications ask you to shut down any anti-virus programs you have running. You don't see it as much as you used to, but sometimes conflicts arise.

Only spyware ask you to shut down the anti virus app for installation.

elppa
Jun 14, 2007, 11:17 AM

You would have the same issues in 2.x anyway.

It hasn't become "less" secure.

BKF
Jun 14, 2007, 11:20 AM

So that you can use the same browser on your computer as you use on your iPhone. That's my guess for why Apple is doing this in the first place, and also my guess as to why this was rushed out with trumpets blaring and flags waving before it should have been.

EDIT: Ach! Sorry! Read too quickly. Responded too quickly. Missed your actual question. Going back to my actual work now....

Jun 14, 2007, 11:20 AM
It also speaks WELL of apple :)

Sorry, pet peeve of mine...

Everyone is entitled to make some mistakes

Sometimes I think in spanish and write in english, so things can go terribly wrong.:)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 14, 2007, 11:22 AM
It would help if you actually showed the error report and not just the dialog box. Someone might be able to help you out.It's not really that important, I only use Parallels to check web pages in IE. Just downloaded Safari for s***s and giggles, and posted just to point out that it is just as stable as the average windows application... :D

Ubuntu
Jun 14, 2007, 11:23 AM
And, there is another great bug in Safari for Windows:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1260/548120975_c060dca3ef.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/felixwong/548120975/)
And the correct page should be (in Firefox):
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1371/548129929_f7bf92e705.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/felixwong/548129929/)

I got something similar, I tried to watch the keynote, and there was no button to click to start it. Opened up Firefox, and it was there.

Same for the mac ads, they don't work on safari, but they work on Firefox, for me.

SimonTheSoundMa
Jun 14, 2007, 11:25 AM
If Microslopped patched an IE bug within three days of it being reported then it would make the front pages :)
They wouldn't. You would have to wait for the monthly patch tuesday from Microsoft Update.

Guys, this is beta software. It is not a release, or gone gold. It has holes, it has bugs, and Apple want you to test it and give feedback. They can have all their programmers test Safari and miss something out.

SimonTheSoundMa
Jun 14, 2007, 11:28 AM
OK, here is a screen of my error message... for some reason I can't copy and paste the actual error.

I do see that it says my System is Windows NT 5.1. I am running XP Home Edition. I don't know if it matters much, but iTunes works fine.
Windows XP is NT 5.1. Windows 2000 Pro is NT 5.

GimmeSlack12
Jun 14, 2007, 11:30 AM
MS Vista and Safari.
Still can't see ANY TEXT!!!

This is ridiculous.

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 11:31 AM
They wouldn't. You would have to wait for the monthly patch tuesday from Microsoft Update.

Guys, this is beta software. It is not a release, or gone gold. It has holes, it has bugs, and Apple want you to test it and give feedback. They can have all their programmers test Safari and miss something out.

1. apple patching process is slower than M$, apple users exposed to the risk longer than M$ users per year, its headline a month ago, do some search u will find it

2. Apple put this BETA out with too many "claims", if its only for the purpose u mentioned, they should have make sure their "claims" be modest and somewhate true. Think about it: apple trash windows whenever they can on TV, then release a "best browser" for windows like a king giving mercy to losers, and turn out the best browser is...... what can apple expect from windows users then?

bigmc6000
Jun 14, 2007, 11:38 AM
I hated the find in Safari 2 - it was so crappy. The new find is pretty sweet I must say - looks like Spotlight for your browser. I like!

MarcelV
Jun 14, 2007, 11:38 AM
Still crashes when you do anything in XP.You're kidding me. I run it at work most of the time. The only thing I really need IE for, is for CA Service Desk.

The only two issues so far that I have noticed were: 1. maximizing the screen on my extended desktop (secondary display only). It does not display properly at all. Height is correct, but the screen is displayed only partial to the right of the display. Most visible area is gone. (Secondary display is a Dell 1907FP, primary display is the laptop itself, a D520) running XP.

Second issue is that if I maximize Safari on my primary, the taskbar (set to auto-hide) is not accessible at all. I have to resize, and then the hidden taskbar is available when moving cursor to the bottom of the screen.

I only had one time Safari crashing (on the first day). But so did Webshpere almost at the same time. Not sure what happend there.

Cindynjgirl79
Jun 14, 2007, 11:40 AM
So it would seem...

yeah same thing happens to me! it's driving me nuts!i really want the safari to work on my pc. i hate that machine but if i have to use it, i have to. should this update fix this?

pgwalsh
Jun 14, 2007, 11:40 AM

I do see that it says my System is Windows NT 5.1. I am running XP Home Edition. I don't know if it matters much, but iTunes works fine.My guess is this is a software conflict. Did you do the full install with quicktime? If not, try it. Also you may want to start windows with start-up apps disabled and see if you can run safari.

I just installed and used safari on my old AMD Athalon 2100+ with 768mb ram. It ran fine. However, I have very little loaded on this machine. I'll try my wx home machine and see if I have the same problem.

Masquerade
Jun 14, 2007, 11:41 AM
It would help if you actually showed the error report and not just the dialog box. Someone might be able to help you out.

Are u an Apple engineer? if yes, please tell how i can browse and read webpages without text!

pgwalsh
Jun 14, 2007, 11:43 AM
It's not really that important, I only use Parallels to check web pages in IE. Just downloaded Safari for s***s and giggles, and posted just to point out that it is just as stable as the average windows application... :D
I'm in the same boat. Works fine in Parallels for me. Seems faster than native on my Mac strange as that may sound. However, I have most of the cool effects turned off in xp where everything is turned on in OS X.

pgwalsh
Jun 14, 2007, 11:45 AM
Are u an Apple engineer? if yes, please tell how i can browse and read webpages without text!No I'm not. No association with Apple at all. Just worked in the IT industry for many years.

That's an interesting question nonetheless. Is it a flash site?

surferfromuk
Jun 14, 2007, 11:49 AM
yeah same thing happens to me! it's driving me nuts!i really want the safari to work on my pc. i hate that machine but if i have to use it, i have to. should this update fix this?

I get the same when I try to report a bug which doesn't bode well...If the 'report a bug' system isn't working then we have the first fundamental obstacle to improvement...

ISMPlus
Jun 14, 2007, 11:50 AM
?
I'm running XP and I haven't really had any problems....what're you doing with it?

Not getting that behaviour over here. Runs fine on XP.

Windows XP here too... No problems here either... my ds has already bookmarked a ton of sites! (ds uses our PC while I use my mac for everything. I have not installed the beta on my mac)

flopticalcube
Jun 14, 2007, 11:52 AM
You need to go out and try more Alphas, my friend ;)

curse google/web 2.0 and their abuse of the beta label!

alpha - feature incomplete, almost always tested internally, though some companies have started to release alphas to select developers. adobe being one.

beta - feature complete. released to a wider non-internal audience. sometimes private/invitation only, sometimes open to all for real world testing looking for bugs/security holes, etc...

safari 3 - is a beta.

apple's only clear mistake in the safari 3 release for window was using the "secure from day one" tag. that was bound to wind up apple haters looking to knock apple down a peg or two. open for more debate would be releasing it as a full public beta first, though who knows maybe it's been in private beta for a while too.

Whoa! Now I know how clevin feels. :D

I only said it feels more like an alpha than a beta. It crashes frequently on me, won't install on my Athlon PC, doesn't render every page as well as Safari on OSX. Honestly, I had about the same number of problems with Gran Paradiso. Maybe I hold Apple to too high a standard but I find it too rough coming from a company as smooth as Apple.

Cindynjgirl79
Jun 14, 2007, 11:54 AM
I get the same when I try to report a bug which doesn't bode well...If the 'report a bug' system isn't working then we have the first fundamental obstacle to improvement...

i going to try and reinstall it again and see if it works with the update.

macinfojunkie
Jun 14, 2007, 11:59 AM
Not to say that the bugs found were not a potential threat but they were found by BUG Hounds (security researchers - see June 12th MacRumors article) people who's job it is to find holes in software they actually have competitions to find or break software. Usually they do it for a fee to help companies secure their software, the fee being for how the found the problem - saves the company money in reinventing the wheel (Problem). Had those same problems been found by you and I then there would be a lot to SCREAM about. Yes it was serious, but it's fixed and the BUG Hounds are still trying to find other holes and the rest of us are just trying to make it a typically Apple friendly experience.

Those BUG hounds use exactly the same techniques as hackers and writers of malicious code in order t find ways of targeting systems. You think that only the good guys look into this kind of stuff. Get real!

TiAdiMundo
Jun 14, 2007, 12:04 PM

Yes, they missed to click on the "create bookmark" button. Sorry, but the IE7 NEVER crashed during the beta test on the beta 2 version of Vista. And IE is a lot more complex than Safari.

MrCrowbar
Jun 14, 2007, 12:07 PM
I hated the find in Safari 2 - it was so crappy. The new find is pretty sweet I must say - looks like Spotlight for your browser. I like!

I love it. Better than the Firefox one where you have to look for where it actually found something. But the Safari find is still a bit slow compared to Firefox. But I like how the marquees drag behind when you scroll. Hopefully, the find thing will be quicker in Leopard. I bet the Safari versio for Leopard and Tiger are quite different and the Leopard one uses the latest libraries and stuff...

I use it as my main browser (on Tiger) and never had any issue with it. Love the resizable text boxes (i just resized the box I'm writing in right now) too. That's a neat feature.

pgwalsh
Jun 14, 2007, 12:10 PM
Yes, they missed to click on the "create bookmark" button. Sorry, but the IE7 NEVER crashed during the beta test on the beta 2 version of Vista. And IE is a lot more complex than Safari.

That's funny and interesting. Everyone's experience varies. I have 3 computers with running windows. One AMD/XP Pro, Laptop Intel, and Parallels. They have all had problems with IE 7 crashing except for the paralles machine and I have no problems with FireFox or Safari on any of them. However, I keep active processes and applications to a minimum on all machines.

The laptop is a toshiba and it has a know ram issue with the built in memory. That causes all kinds of problems whenever I load a lot of apps. Sucks, but that's life.

rvernout
Jun 14, 2007, 12:12 PM
For the people outside the USA: it was known already a few hours after the first release that Safari on XP versions other than the US version crashes every time when you try to add, import or watch bookmarks, and that it doesn't render bold, italic and non-latin text. So that makes the program pretty useless outside the US, you cannot even really test it.

Too bad that Apple didn't fix this yet. I've read a do-it-yourself hack somewhere (which involves renaming many files, so I'm not going to bother with it) to fix the bookmark bug, so it shouldn't be too complicated for Apple to fix it in an update.

Cameront9
Jun 14, 2007, 12:14 PM
I'm running 3.0.1 on Windows XP and the only issues I've had in three days of use as my exlusive browser are:

1) One crash while working with Flickr's Organizr and dropping photos on maps

2) Yahoo Widgets (nee Konfabulator) is broken and refuses to start (which has been posted in the Konfabulator forums message boards, so they are investigating the problem)

3) Refreshing the page doesn't return you to the same spot you were before refreshing.

Other than that, it's been smooth sailing. Dell Deminsion E520, with only 512MB of RAM.

Sonofhaig
Jun 14, 2007, 12:14 PM

Version 3.0 worked fine until trying to download any pdf from a site, and the application would crash. I reverted back to version 2.0.4, and now no problems. (PowerPC G4, 10.4.9, 1.38 gb sdram). Anyone come across issues like this?

kirk26
Jun 14, 2007, 12:16 PM

Lame comment of the day. You win the prize.

dernhelm
Jun 14, 2007, 12:16 PM
Whoa! Now I know how clevin feels. :D

I only said it feels more like an alpha than a beta. It crashes frequently on me, won't install on my Athlon PC, doesn't render every page as well as Safari on OSX. Honestly, I had about the same number of problems with Gran Paradiso. Maybe I hold Apple to too high a standard but I find it too rough coming from a company as smooth as Apple.

I find all this alpha vs. beta stuff pretty amusing. If beta means feature complete, and safari is in beta on windows, then Apple has completely missed the boat. They have no support for proxies, no way to handle certificates, certain configurations are permanently grayed out (e.g. Parental controls). There is no way this thing is feature complete. It's beta just like gmail is beta. They hope you'll use it, report bug back and while they continue to add new features, they can make it more secure and less buggy. It'll be in beta for months or years.

To be honest, I don't expect much of anyone to switch to Safari, even if it worked flawlessly. They released it so developers had a testbed for iPhone apps - that's it. Pretty much no one on a PC would stop using either Firefox or IE to switch to Safari, anyway. And believe me, Apple knows it. If they can come in at around Opera's market share, they'd be doing well.

They do however, have a real opportunity to help forward some web standards here. It would be nice if Apple produced the most compliant browser on the planet. That might give them a bragging point that would be hard to argue with. If you want to make sure your website passes muster standard's wise, you could simply hit it with Safari and you'd know. That I could find useful.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 14, 2007, 12:17 PM
For the people outside the USA: it was known already a few hours after the first release that Safari on XP versions other than the US version crashes every time when you try to add, import or watch bookmarks, and that it doesn't render bold, italic and non-latin text. So that makes the program pretty useless outside the US, you cannot even really test it.Yes, because no-one is using latin text outside of USA... :rolleyes:

bilbo--baggins
Jun 14, 2007, 12:28 PM

Maybe for during testing for web developers?

Wonder how soon they'll fix the major bugs in the OS X version of beta 3. I uninstalled it because if was causing the Reply button to not work properly in Mail (Yes, safari 3 beta caused bugs to appear in Mail, removing it solved the problems).

BeethovensPiano
Jun 14, 2007, 12:46 PM
Still not working at al for me on XP SP2. crashes on start up. Did download it again a few minutes ago but have no way of telling if it's the latest updated version.

A is jump
Jun 14, 2007, 12:57 PM

Nope. it isn't "Officially Released" as you put in your last post. It is a PUBLIC BETA. Just as Adobe did with the new Photoshop.
Most reasonable people know, when a company offers software for download as a public beta, that it has flaws. that IS the point of releasing Beta software.

They are encouraging people to install it to help find holes, and Bugs! Because its a PUBLIC BETA.
Notice if you even own a mac that it doesnt come up under software update.
The reason for that, is because software update is where you download "OFFICIALLY RELEASED" updated software. In order to download the new safari. You had to go to Apples website, and manually download it. and I don't think apple does anything on their website to trick you into it, as to download it, you have to click on a button that says "SAFARI 3 PUBLIC BETA"

F.D.
Jun 14, 2007, 12:58 PM
I just ran my pointer over the Apple menu, and a sub-menu (or whatever the hell it's called) popped up telling me that I could pre-order Leopard 10.5 on Amazon!!!

I do not use exclamation marks lightly...

I haven't been able to repeat the outrage, BUT WHAT IS THIS TYRANNY?

CoreWeb
Jun 14, 2007, 01:07 PM

I wouldn't say IE7 is more complex than Safari. Apple seems to have ported some actual OS X libraries to Windows (CoreFoundation, and a couple others, at least). This is quite a bit of work, and there is therefore quite a lot of situations where problems could come up.

And, though I am not certain, I think I did try the add bookmark button on the Windows version and it worked fine for me.

outlier
Jun 14, 2007, 01:15 PM
They do however, have a real opportunity to help forward some web standards here. It would be nice if Apple produced the most compliant browser on the planet. That might give them a bragging point that would be hard to argue with. If you want to make sure your website passes muster standard's wise, you could simply hit it with Safari and you'd know. That I could find useful.

As defined and measured by what benchmark(s)? As I recall, Safari was the first browser to successfully pass the Acid2 test (way back in October '05 no less!). But maybe you had other standards beside HTML and CSS in mind (DOM, ECMASCript, etc.)?

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 01:20 PM
As defined and measured by what benchmark(s)? As I recall, Safari was the first browser to successfully pass the Acid2 test (way back in October '05 no less!). But maybe you had other standards beside HTML and CSS in mind (DOM, ECMASCript, etc.)?

well, last one to enable rich text editor. lol compare to the advantages(rendering speed,), there are more disadvantages (resource hog, lousy tab browsing, little extension, non Windows UI compatibility, application speed, stability) in safari.

I wouldn't say IE7 is more complex than Safari.

My point: apple should not do that. make it native, would be much less fragile than it is now, consider KHTML is supposed to be a lightweight engine, but look at this now, its 170% the size of firefox!

gnasher729
Jun 14, 2007, 01:32 PM
Yes, because no-one is using latin text outside of USA... :rolleyes:

Well, MacRumors website doesn't display any text for me... (Windows 2003 Server x64 Edition). Strangely enough, all Apple websites come up absolutely fine, and rendering seems to be much much faster than Internet Explorer. Everything except the text display seems to work, even the new Find command - looks hilarious, lots of red blobs on an otherwise empty page :D

CANEHDN
Jun 14, 2007, 01:40 PM
I wonder when they'll release a feature patch? Hopefully soon.

dernhelm
Jun 14, 2007, 01:56 PM

I was unaware that they were first to pass Acid2, but I knew that they had. But I was really referring to some emerging standards for Web 2.0 (or whatever they are calling it these days). ECMAScript (Javascript, whatever) and DOM validation are a couple of these, but there are (and will be) others. Anything AJAX or Web-services related, I suppose.

I wasn't trying to limit them to some predetermined set - what I was suggesting is that Apple could put some effort into POSITIONING the browser as the most standards compliant out there.

TiAdiMundo
Jun 14, 2007, 01:58 PM
For the people outside the USA: it was known already a few hours after the first release that Safari on XP versions other than the US version crashes every time when you try to add, import or watch bookmarks, and that it doesn't render bold, italic and non-latin text. So that makes the program pretty useless outside the US, you cannot even really test it.

Very interesting! Thx. That explains why it doesn't work for me (german Vista edition). Why did Apple not post this on the download page? Or why didn't they tested it on non-english Windows versions? Would have taken about 5 minutes. Or what about a simple dialog box: "Your language is not supported"...

I think the very first IE7 beta was english-only too, but MS said that.

ortuno2k
Jun 14, 2007, 02:19 PM
I uninstalled it at home from my MBP and at work from my XP machine.
May try it later, but it seems too much of a hassle for now.

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 02:35 PM
Why did Apple not post this on the download page? Or why didn't they tested it on non-english Windows versions? Would have taken about 5 minutes. Or what about a simple dialog box: "Your language is not supported"...

because apple wants to count your download and declare xxxmillion download in 48 Hours! :D

rvernout
Jun 14, 2007, 02:37 PM
Very interesting! Thx. That explains why it doesn't work for me (german Vista edition). Why did Apple not post this on the download page? Or why didn't they tested it on non-english Windows versions? Would have taken about 5 minutes. Or what about a simple dialog box: "Your language is not supported"...

It's not a language issue though..... I have an English XP at work, and there it crashes too. So it works only in the US.

ezzie
Jun 14, 2007, 03:02 PM
ok...i've updated and i still am getting no text whatsoever.

this is terribly frustrating. i meet the three windows requirements. i'm not quite sure if it has something to do with the firewall here at work, or some other little piece of software that the IT department has running on my machine so they can see what i do all day...but i get absolutely nothing on the page except for a few images.

there's no menu text, no text on the page, nothing. and, like others, i can't report my bugs because it crashes.

however, on my MBP...i'm doing just fine. :rolleyes:

outlier
Jun 14, 2007, 03:15 PM
I was unaware that they were first to pass Acid2, but I knew that they had. But I was really referring to some emerging standards for Web 2.0 (or whatever they are calling it these days). ECMAScript (Javascript, whatever) and DOM validation are a couple of these, but there are (and will be) others. Anything AJAX or Web-services related, I suppose..

It's probably old news for most 'round here, but this guy is doing a nice job summarizing "the level of support for web standards and maturing technologies in popular web browsers." Looks like he could use some help updating his tables for Safari, however: http://www.webdevout.net/browser-support

twoodcc
Jun 14, 2007, 03:17 PM
Looks like Apple is on the ball when it comes to closing security holes.

i agree. i knew they would fix it

STEPHEN SNELL
Jun 14, 2007, 03:22 PM
WHY COULDN'T "APPLE INC." DO A "SAFARI" VERSION (3.0.1) UPDATE FOR "MAC"? IT NEEDS IT WORSE THAN "WINDOWS" DOES. MINE IS TOTALLY DEAD. "APPLE INC." WE NEED YOU DO AN "SAFARI UPDATE" SOON AND QUICK PLEASE.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Queso
Jun 14, 2007, 03:26 PM
WHY COULDN'T "APPLE INC." DO A "SAFARI" VERSION (3.0.1) UPDATE FOR "MAC"? IT NEEDS IT WORSE THAN "WINDOWS" DOES. MINE IS TOTALLY DEAD. "APPLE INC." WE NEED YOU DO AN "SAFARI UPDATE" SOON AND QUICK PLEASE.:mad: :mad: :mad:
Please lay off the caps lock key. It may make the letters big, but it doesn't make them clever.

I thank you.

Modjo
Jun 14, 2007, 03:29 PM

Calm down please ... other people might act up like those smilies of yours

altair7
Jun 14, 2007, 03:35 PM

What processor do you have? This error is saying that Safari tried to execute an instruction code that your processor does not support.

For that matter for all of the people that are experiencing lots of crashes, what kind of processor are you using? I'm going out on a limb but I imagine you are all using AMD processors. All of the internal computers and Apple are (I imagine) intel based machines which would explain why they haven't found these problems prior to now.

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 03:35 PM

because all major window-centric (or non- mac-centric) websites criticized windows version of safari and bugs were found.

and mac-centric websites are are cheerleaders so far.

aarond12
Jun 14, 2007, 03:37 PM
Safari 3.01 for Windows STILL crashes every time it attempts to authenticate to our corporate proxy.

C'mon Apple. You're making yourselves look bad.

peharri
Jun 14, 2007, 03:38 PM

In addition to the reasons others have given, it's also the only way possible to run it under Jaguar or Panther.

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 03:40 PM
In addition to the reasons others have given, it's also the only way possible to run it under Jaguar or Panther.

im sorry, that really sounds painful.

A Pittarelli
Jun 14, 2007, 03:40 PM
good update, by the time safari 3 is done, it will be a powerhouse browser. making it available on windows will only help them develope the software faster

pixies4ever
Jun 14, 2007, 03:44 PM
What other language...? I might be from Norway, but OS X, Parallels and Win XP are all English installs... :confused:

But, on the upside, the Mac version of the Safari 3 beta seems flawless... (even if I'm not tried it much, since I'm a Firefox user currently with Camino as default browser ;))

i'm not able to open pdf's, it just crashes.

JPyre
Jun 14, 2007, 04:01 PM
because apple wants to count your download and declare xxxmillion download in 48 Hours! :D

LOL!

CUPERTINO, Calif., June 14, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Apple(R)
today announced that more than 1 million copies of Safari(TM) for Windows were
downloaded in the first 48 hours since the free public beta was made available
on Monday.

BuzWeaver
Jun 14, 2007, 04:25 PM
Still waiting on a sorting system for favorites.

TheNumberOneFan
Jun 14, 2007, 04:28 PM
dude

you guys tried "find" feature on new Safari

sooo freakin' sweet!! :D

BuzWeaver
Jun 14, 2007, 04:29 PM
dude

you guys tried "find" feature on new Safari

sooo freakin' sweet!! :D

The Orange is a nice touch, no doubt.

iPoodOverZune
Jun 14, 2007, 04:30 PM
Update: and it crashes (Windows XP Home) also when adding a bookmark!

Apple what's wrong?

Although not elegant in any way, I could get a work-around for adding bookmarks. Go to the bookmark page and copy www.apple.com to the folders you usually use for bookmarking and paste multiple copies. Now everytime you need to bookmark something, copy the URL and go to the bookmark page, doubleclick on the URL links in the page to edit. Replace the apple link with your copied link. Change the name of the link as you like it. This will help where you are in dire need of bookmarking something and you dont want to use any other brower.:D

lazyrighteye
Jun 14, 2007, 04:38 PM
1. all major windows browser support single window mode, maybe many osx users don't mind pressing some key when clicking a link, but I don't think windows user will buy that.

2. try protopage.com, which is my homepage, in both firefox/opera, the link on the page can be opened in new tab by default, but in safari for windows, there is no way to do it, right click, left click, middle click, click while press any key, just can't do it!

3. Webkit is mature enough on mac, but not on windows, webkit/KHTML is not set out to be cross-platform like gecko, thats why its been so few progress in porting KHTML to windows, and as u can see, many ppl can't get it to render page properly under windows, that kind of instability is "not mature enough" IMHO.

I just tried your home page in Firefox, Mac running 10.4.9 and there is no auto tab default action happening.
Maybe I missed something.

itcomesinwaves
Jun 14, 2007, 04:44 PM

LOL

and

Are you saying final release of safari for windows will have NO security holes in the future?

why?

To be fair, from a software developer standpoint "Day 1" would mean the date of the final release. Although I can see how this would be confusing. They probably shouldn't have put it on the same page as the beta download.

Counter
Jun 14, 2007, 04:50 PM

Online banking with a beta browser would be hardcore.

johnnyjibbs
Jun 14, 2007, 04:58 PM
I'll be happy - I'm going to download this first thing tomorrow at work. I have XP at work (Mac at home) and it never crashes - everything is fine.

Except....

The preferences file. I thought it may have been a bug but it's a major issue that I've not seen anywhere else so it must be my set up at work. Every time I relaunch Safari, I lose MOST but not ALL of my settings - i.e. window position and size, bookmarks, etc - it looks like Safari is overwriting them with the defaults each time - but the strange this is that my history and form fill-in are remembered. I've checked the permissions and they are all on read/write! :confused:

Maybe someone can help.. I don't have administrator privledges but I can run programs on that (which I had to do to install the install package) but everything is set up to read and write, even when I run on Admin mode?

It's really annoying so hopefully this update will fix it. Otherwise, if anyone could help...

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 05:21 PM
I just tried your home page in Firefox, Mac running 10.4.9 and there is no auto tab default action happening.
Maybe I missed something.

hehe, i have mac os 10.4.9 too, please try windows safari and reply back. :D

on Monday.
I saw these sort of useless PR alot, like Opera claim 1m download in 1 day when it released Opera 9, and firefox claims 2 million i one day after firefox2's release. Total crap.

I bet more than 85% safari downloads end up in trash bin

reverie
Jun 14, 2007, 05:28 PM
LOL!

on Monday.

Wow, 1 million disappointed users then. Some people here don't realize how bad the browser is for non-English users. It's not about the occasional crashes that you may or may not be able to work around. It's about empty pages. Safari does not show any bold or italic fonts on any non-English Windows and is therefore useless as a web browser outside English-speaking countries.

WannaGoMac
Jun 14, 2007, 05:34 PM
Why does text displayed in Safari for Windows look so darn blurry it's just painful! I tried setting anti-aliasing to all 3 levels, same problem.

Firefox, IE text looks great. What's up?

bbcxx
Jun 14, 2007, 05:42 PM
well, the update did not fix the problems i have with safari on xp...

my university account can't be viewed, i just see a blue line and myspace does not work, well, it does but not correctly

TiAdiMundo
Jun 14, 2007, 05:43 PM
Why does text displayed in Safari for Windows look so darn blurry it's just painful! I tried setting anti-aliasing to all 3 levels, same problem.

Firefox, IE text looks great. What's up?

Ha, welcome to Appleland. There is no ClearType. Apple uses a similar technology but with a different philosophy behind it. MS tries to improve readability with ClearType where Apple tries to render fonts as they would appear on paper. I think this could get Apple in some trouble, because their font rendering looks really bad if you can compare it on the same monitor. On a Mac it doesn't feel that bad, because all is a little bit blurry.

bbcxx
Jun 14, 2007, 05:44 PM
Wow, 1 million disappointed users then. Some people here don't realize how bad the browser is for non-English users. It's not about the occasional crashes that you may or may not be able to work around. It's about empty pages. Safari does not show any bold or italic fonts on any non-English Windows and is therefore useless as a web browser outside English-speaking countries.

thank you...

TiAdiMundo
Jun 14, 2007, 05:46 PM
It seems that it is not only language related. If there are more than 800 fonts installed, Safari didn't find the right fonts (Verdana for example). How bad is that?
Link: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4708956#4708956

reverie
Jun 14, 2007, 05:59 PM
It seems that it is not only language related. If there are more than 800 fonts installed, Safari didn't find the right fonts (Verdana for example). How bad is that?
Link: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4708956#4708956

Yeah, that seems to be a similar problem for the interface fonts. I think I've read somewhere that Safari can't handle it if there are multiple copies of its fonts (for example Lucida). I was referring to the (invisible) fonts inside rendered web content though.

I'm confident that Apple will be able to fix those major bugs in 3-12 months. But this is already a PR disaster which will haunt the company for years. And the problem I mentioned shows (again) that Apple treats international customers as 2nd class customers, something which seems to be deeply ingrained into company culture. Did they even spend a single day on testing for international users?

bbcxx
Jun 14, 2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah, that seems to be a similar problem for the interface fonts. I think I've read somewhere that Safari can't handle it if there are multiple copies of its fonts (for example Lucida). I was referring to the (invisible) fonts inside rendered web content though.

I'm confident that Apple will be able to fix those major bugs in 3-12 months. But this is already a PR disaster which will haunt the company for years. And the problem I mentioned shows (again) that Apple treats international customers as 2nd class customers, something which seems to be deeply ingrained into company culture. Did they even spend a single day on testing for international users?

I don't think so. But speaking of which, can anybody explain why products appear later on the european market?

dejo
Jun 14, 2007, 06:30 PM
Probably because they are not using standards for their links. In FireFox, I get a different cursor and a different context-menu for the text of the box headline links than I do for the underline (which doesn't appear until I hover over where the underline should be). Kinda flaky, really.

dejo
Jun 14, 2007, 06:37 PM
Safari for Windows Downloads Top 1 Million In 48 Hours (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/14/safari-for-windows-downloads-top-1-million-in-48-hours/)

Wow, that's eerie! Good call, clevin.

clevin
Jun 14, 2007, 07:01 PM
Safari for Windows Downloads Top 1 Million In 48 Hours (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/14/safari-for-windows-downloads-top-1-million-in-48-hours/)

Wow, that's eerie! Good call, clevin.

:D, its every browser producers' habit, and Im actually quite an expert on browsers/.... HIHI

samh004
Jun 14, 2007, 08:47 PM
I saw these sort of useless PR alot, like Opera claim 1m download in 1 day when it released Opera 9, and firefox claims 2 million i one day after firefox2's release. Total crap.

I bet more than 85% safari downloads end up in trash bin

How does it matter what users do with their copies of Safari, the same thing could happen with Firefox, or Camino, or IE. It's just a record for them.

I'd like to see .Mac support included in the final version so .Mac users bookmarks are transferred over and synced. That'd be a cool little feature.

Masquerade
Jun 14, 2007, 08:53 PM
No I'm not. No association with Apple at all. Just worked in the IT industry for many years.

That's an interesting question nonetheless. Is it a flash site?

i expected more about Apple's safari after seeing the keynote, sorry about the reply.

Safari isn't working as expected since the first day (and no luck with the first update) on non-english win xp systems or systems with more than 400(?) fonts...
doing the hacks to safari fonts.plist file, you can get the menus and some rendering of text working, but some text remains hidden, certain webpages or activating functions like bookmarking or bug reporting you get a sorry-for-inconvenience-box.

like someone as said, apple should moderate it's own claims about safari until the final release of safari.
hug

peharri
Jun 14, 2007, 09:25 PM
LOL!

on Monday.

This is really bad for Apple. That's a million people of which it appears a significant percentage will have major problems with the browser.

Apple should really have made this release more low key, doing a proper, contained, beta test with a large number of different PCs and configurations. Clearly they didn't, otherwise the problems with non-SSE CPUs and machines with large numbers of fonts would have shown up well before they decided to release this thing.

TiAdiMundo
Jun 14, 2007, 09:50 PM
It's not a language issue though..... I have an English XP at work, and there it crashes too. So it works only in the US.
How can Safari know where it was installed? And what different made it when using bookmarks? I do not even need to go online to kill Safari with just one click (can choose from some buttons :p )

TiAdiMundo
Jun 14, 2007, 09:57 PM
Did they even spend a week to test Safari beta? I'm serious. To me, it looks like somone at Apple lies to Jobs by saying that they could go beta. For me the biggest problem aren't the bugs but the arrogant way Apple says they are the best. Nope.

gmanrique
Jun 14, 2007, 11:22 PM
I don't have a windows machine at home so I cannot retry it, but at the office I downloaded Safari 3 yesterday and it worked, sort of, with some problems/issues, the most notorious and annoying being the font rendering one.

Anyhow, today after I read about the upgrade (3.0.1) I went to http://www.apple.com/safari/download/ and surprise, surprise, it does not render properly, so the left section of the page where it shows the download option is not displayed at all. I checked Firefox and IE, and both worked properly. So I could not use Safari to download Safari's update.

BTW, it still behaves the same after the update.

hulugu
Jun 14, 2007, 11:44 PM

Here's an idea. See that little bug button. Push it and report the bug.

That's the point of a beta.

Aranince
Jun 14, 2007, 11:47 PM
I don't know about y'all but Safari works perfectly fine for me. And the way it renders text allows me to actually sit back and not have my face up against the screen.

gzfelix
Jun 15, 2007, 12:39 AM
Here's an idea. See that little bug button. Push it and report the bug.

That's the point of a beta.

Obviously, I tried. Unfortunately, it crashed on a click of the bug button.

dejo
Jun 15, 2007, 12:47 AM
Anyhow, today after I read about the upgrade (3.0.1) I went to http://www.apple.com/safari/download/ and surprise, surprise, it does not render properly, so the left section of the page where it shows the download option is not displayed at all. I checked Firefox and IE, and both worked properly. So I could not use Safari to download Safari's update.
Renders fine for me. So, this could just be an isolated problem. I get the feeling that many of these bugs are not widespread problems. But it would help explain why it was released as beta.

gikku
Jun 15, 2007, 12:54 AM
Have Apple pulled the Safari 3.0.1 update ?
It doesn't show when I run Software Update, tried it 3 times today.

hulugu
Jun 15, 2007, 12:59 AM
Obviously, I tried. Unfortunately, it crashed on a click of the bug button.

Yeah. Sorry, I missed that little detail.

However, it still does fit within the crux of my argument, which is simply: betas can be goofy, strange, and troublesome and shouldn't be used lightly.

coogee
Jun 15, 2007, 01:01 AM
My Safarai 3.0 and 3.0.1 both install fine (on Win XP SP2), then when I try and run it, it flickers up on screen for a nanosecond and disappears forever!
No sign it is running in the background, it just starts for a microsecond and then explodes :eek:

I liked the silvery flash I saw though, great stuff :apple: :D

way to kill a thread and i was hoping the next post was 'Wow, I have the exact same bug and the fix is..!'

hulugu
Jun 15, 2007, 01:57 AM
My Safarai 3.0 and 3.0.1 both install fine (on Win XP SP2), then when I try and run it, it flickers up on screen for a nanosecond and disappears forever!
No sign it is running in the background, it just starts for a microsecond and then explodes :eek:

I liked the silvery flash I saw though, great stuff :apple: :D

way to kill a thread and i was hoping the next post was 'Wow, I have the exact same bug and the fix is..!'

Wierd. I've installed it on two Windows machines and I'm running it with Parallels and everything's been super-chill, but then again these are fairly streamlined Windows installs with very little additional software and typical hardware.

kadajawi
Jun 15, 2007, 09:47 AM
Great Apple. So could you now fix the display problems? Apple.com seems to be about the only website that it can display properly. I mean with all those people experiencing crashes, not being able to start correctly, or simply not being able to display websites like they should (and EVERYONE I've spoken to has that issue!) this is really, really terrible press that will hurt Apple for a long, long time. Any beta Microsoft has released over the past years seems to have been way more stable than Safari for Windows, even big ones like Windows XP etc. Did they actually test the browser?

Squonk
Jun 15, 2007, 10:13 AM
I gotta say, it is nice to have Safari on my windows box. On my mac, I use Safari 99% of the time. I only deviate when something was incompatible, and then I'd use Firefox. I really don't like the look & feel of Firefox on the Mac. Although my friend turned me onto some awesome plug-ins like adblock that I really like, but not enough for me to put up with the delay in launch time for firefox.

On my PC at work, I was 100% Firefox until this morning. I finally installed Safari 3.0.1. Yep, I couldn't wait any longer...

I like it. I've had two crashes so far. Both of them when working with www.wunderground.com. I'll be avoiding that site for now and see how everything else goes. I feel right at home!!! :D

latinlovr
Jun 15, 2007, 10:38 AM
So it would seem...

Im not sure If anybody else noticed this but. If you look carefully. He is running Safari 3 BETA for win XP on PARALLES for mac. :eek:
and iexpects not to have any issues. :confused: Silly Rabbit Try running Safari 3 for windows on a windows machine and remember that it is a BETA The reason For betas is so that people can test them real-world and find security holes. Plus they also challenge script kiddies to break their code. so theyll brag when they do and bam they can fix the problems with out having to pay anybody to find them.

clevin
Jun 15, 2007, 11:16 AM
Im not sure If anybody else noticed this but. If you look carefully. He is running Safari 3 BETA for win XP on PARALLES for mac. :eek:
and iexpects not to have any issues. :confused: Silly Rabbit Try running Safari 3 for windows on a windows machine and remember that it is a BETA The reason For betas is so that people can test them real-world and find security holes. Plus they also challenge script kiddies to break their code. so theyll brag when they do and bam they can fix the problems with out having to pay anybody to find them.

im sure many ppl realize he was running it in VM, somebody even asked the question "why would anybody want to do that?" :D

about beta being the reason of forgiveness, it has been discussed hundreds of times, if apple think its the reason, then apple needs to bear the consequence . which is, NOT good. excuses are easy to find, but reality won't change, no any other famous windows beta app is as buggy as this.

Zoide
Jun 15, 2007, 02:48 PM
Safari installs but does not run if your Windows XP username has international characters in it. For instance, if your username is Josť, and your application files get stored in C:/Documents and Settings/Josť, the app doesn't start up.

If I create a username with no accents, however, Safari runs without any issues. This is exactly the type of problem that I had with Democracy Player about a year ago.

What's with this lack of support for users with accented names? Has anyone found a way to get around this bug, other than removing the accents from their name?

milo
Jun 15, 2007, 03:25 PM
What's with this lack of support for users with accented names? Has anyone found a way to get around this bug, other than removing the accents from their name?

It's an oversight on apple's part. Report it to Apple so they can fix it.

CoreWeb
Jun 15, 2007, 03:44 PM
It's an oversight on apple's part. Report it to Apple so they can fix it.

Apple, on their download page, lists many issues with international downloaders, saying that support for them is coming soon:
Coming Soon:
Support for International users
International text input methods
Advanced text (contextual forms, international scripts)
Localized menus and help
NTLM support
PAC file auto-detection
FTP directory listings
Link to proxy settings from Safari (Safari respects the proxy settings in the Windows Internet control panel)
Cookie management
LiveConnect support
Tooltips
Spell checking
Printing page numbers, titles, margins

flopticalcube
Jun 15, 2007, 03:47 PM
So Safari is not "feature complete" then. hmmm....

Zoide
Jun 15, 2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the info!

Honestly, though, how hard can it be to support international users right from the start? Safari and Democracy Player are the only two applications I have ever encountered with that kind of problem. :mad:

clevin
Jun 15, 2007, 04:06 PM
Apple, on their download page, lists many issues with international downloaders, saying that support for them is coming soon:

dont you feel like apple is packaging a whole mini OS in it? LOL, why bother? KHTML is famous of being small and light, now apple make it into a big monster.

bigiffo
Jun 16, 2007, 12:27 PM
Safari doesn't seem to work at all on Vista. It just quits as soon as it opens. Has anyone else had this problem?
:eek: