PDA

View Full Version : What will next G4 Pbook Speed be?

Rezet
Jul 6, 2003, 11:21 PM
Well, since most agree, G5 Pbooks won't be coming for quite a while, I assume that they will most likely upgrade G4 Pbooks in the near future.
But what do you think they will make the processor speed of 15" Pbook?
Do you think it will be atleast 1.25 Ghz?

ZildjianKX
Jul 6, 2003, 11:23 PM
I won't even consider getting one unless its 1.3 GHz, at the least... 1.3 is what I'm expecting.

MoparShaha
Jul 7, 2003, 12:07 AM
I'm thinking 1.25 Ghz. Seems the 1.42 was running too hot in the Power Macs, so I doubt they'll be suitable for the PowerBooks. There are rumors that Moto was delivering new G4's soon (7457?) that consumed less power. Maybe thats what Apple has been waiting for :D .

Honestly though, I could care less. Just give me a 15" Al-Book, with the AirPort Extreme and a few other goodies the 17" PB has, and I'll be happy with a 1 Ghz G4. I desperatly need a new machine, and I've waited long enough for a 15" PB revision :( .

jbomber
Jul 7, 2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by MoparShaha
I'm thinking 1.25 Ghz. Seems the 1.42 was running too hot in the Power Macs, so I doubt they'll be suitable for the PowerBooks. There are rumors that Moto was delivering new G4's soon (7457?) that consumed less power. Maybe thats what Apple has been waiting for :D .

Honestly though, I could care less. Just give me a 15" Al-Book, with the AirPort Extreme and a few other goodies the 17" PB has, and I'll be happy with a 1 Ghz G4. I desperatly need a new machine, and I've waited long enough for a 15" PB revision :( .

yeah, i agree. it'll probably be 1.25. I'm really getting desperate for one too. the sooner the better... Aluminum, bluetooth built-in, etc.

CrackedButter
Jul 7, 2003, 12:52 AM
I want one as well but i hope they have this "warping" effect the PB's have under control.

Also i'm thinking i should wait for panther to be released...save myself the money on upgrading the machine.

jbomber
Jul 7, 2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by CrackedButter
I want one as well but i hope they have this "warping" effect the PB's have under control.

Also i'm thinking i should wait for panther to be released...save myself the money on upgrading the machine.

which warping effect is that?
heat issue?

Sun Baked
Jul 7, 2003, 03:47 AM
Looking at the bus-to-core frequency chart, with a 167MHz bus the 7457(1300) processor should run about 1.25GHz (at 7.5x)

But I can see everybody whining about the chip if they run it at 1.33GHz (at 8x), because it's overclocked 30 Mhz -- sort of like they do the 20MHz on the 7455r3.3(1400). :rolleyes:

Rezet
Jul 7, 2003, 10:18 AM
LOl CrackedButter.

Do you have nothing better to do than register a domain name for one senstense?
www.osxsucks.com

orangefoodie
Jul 7, 2003, 12:13 PM
Some of the Albooks (including my 17") tends to warp, i.e. not sit flat on a level surface now and then. It's nothing significant, and a gentle twist puts it back into shape, at least for me. Hooray for aluminum!

Pete_Hoover
Jul 7, 2003, 01:09 PM
I am going to have to go with the consensus, and say that the next revision will be a 1.25 GHz G4. Maybe then the 12 will get a 1 GHz processor. The powerbooks need a revision bad.

zkmusa
Jul 7, 2003, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping the whole model lineup gets updated as soon as possible! I'm really wanting to get a second generation 12" powerbook.

I agree that the 12" will probably have a 1Ghz G4, and the 15"/17" will get 1.25Ghz G4s.

Let's hope they come in the Macworld CreativePro expo next week!

Abstract
Jul 7, 2003, 03:13 PM
Aren't the 867MHz G4 12" PB's already too hot as it is? I hope it goes to 1GHz as well, and I hope the 15" and 17" both go to 1.25GHz asap, but I'm not too sure about that 12".

Freg3000
Jul 7, 2003, 03:58 PM
I am going to go with 1.33, like the xServes. I know the reason that Apple went with 1.33 GHz because 1.42 was just too hot for it. I would suspect 1.33 would be used in place of 1.42 for the same reasons.

jefhatfield
Jul 7, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Rezet
Well, since most agree, G5 Pbooks won't be coming for quite a while, I assume that they will most likely upgrade G4 Pbooks in the near future.
But what do you think they will make the processor speed of 15" Pbook?
Do you think it will be atleast 1.25 Ghz?

12" inch to 1.0 or 1.25 ghz

15" and 17" inch to 1.42 ghz

next revision after that, within six months, to G5 processor

..but we will still be behind wintel, but less so

jbomber
Jul 7, 2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by orangefoodie
Some of the Albooks (including my 17") tends to warp, i.e. not sit flat on a level surface now and then. It's nothing significant, and a gentle twist puts it back into shape, at least for me. Hooray for aluminum!

Goodness...

i've seen a warped 12" display model, but i figured that was due to extreme heat and general banging around. if i spent good money for a 17" and it warped, i might cry like a little baby.

utilizer
Jul 7, 2003, 07:10 PM
I agree with the 1.25 Ghz update; I'd be happy with that! I'll buy one! I cancelled my order for that new G5 the other day with MacZone. I thought to myself after reading an article on CreativePro that I really could wait for the display revisions to change to Al-finishes and for the G5 to get up to at least 2.5 Ghz before I buy.
Besides, if the economy does indeed pick up within the next couple of months (they keep saying that, I'm still waiting!) and I get a heavy-duty 3D graphics project to work on, then I'll just get an XServe G5 fully loaded. I need the extra storage anyways, who doesn't?!

Cost is the primary factor in this.
A dual G5 with a 20 in. monitor will set me back at least $4,200, not to mention that the equipment doesn't match, although that is a minor quibble.

While the next 17 in. PB revision with a 1.25 Ghz should fall in price to be around $3,199, due to the G5 debuting. With education discounts, you get the picture on that! Just release it and consider it a done deal!
I e-mailed PowerLogix about the 750GX 1.1Ghz as a possibility to be included in a Pismo upgrade; that might also be a cost effective solution to my predictiment.

actripxl
Jul 7, 2003, 07:31 PM
Man I sure hope they hurry up with their revisions cause I need to buy a laptop in late Aug. early Sept. from someone. I switched in Dec. but my ibook isn't gonna cut it for my thesis project. I wanna give Apple my money but they need to update the PB cause I would love to get the G4 PM but its to big to take on a plane.

jbomber
Jul 7, 2003, 07:41 PM
Anyone else having trouble sleeping now that we're supposedly a week away from a new powerbook? :)

actripxl
Jul 7, 2003, 07:50 PM
Where did you hear this? God I hope its true cause I really do want a PB.

jzieske
Jul 7, 2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by jbomber
Anyone else having trouble sleeping now that we're supposedly a week away from a new powerbook? :)

Not me but if they don't update I will be pretty mad. Apple won't piss off this many people . . . will they???:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

jbomber
Jul 7, 2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by jzieske
Not me but if they don't update I will be pretty mad. Apple won't piss off this many people . . . will they???:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

not if they want my damn money.

It's literally sitting on my desk gathering dust. Easiest money they could ever make- All they have to do is put out the machine.

C'mon Apple. If you don't take it, it's just gonna get blown on strippers and booze. :rolleyes:

actripxl
Jul 7, 2003, 08:14 PM
Same here they better hurry up, cause there are things already tempting me to switch back;) like HL2, Battlefield 1942.

macphoria
Jul 9, 2003, 01:31 PM
15" Aluminium PowerBook is playing hard to get. It better be worth the wait.

Lanbrown
Jul 9, 2003, 01:50 PM
I would expect Apple to use the 7457 and not anything any of the current G4's it currently has available, one reason why they may have dumped the 1.42Ghz from the Power Mac. The 7457 at 1.3GHz uses 10% more power, twice the on-chip cache the predecessor has and a 200MHz FSB. AT 1.2GHz, the power consumption should be around the same as the current 1GHz.

The big question is when will the 7457 be out?

zkmusa
Jul 9, 2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Lanbrown
The big question is when will the 7457 be out?

Well, the rumors say in the september/october timeframe... which means no new powerbooks any time soon? Or maybe it means we'll get new powerbooks running on the older processor.

I can't wait! :)

Lanbrown
Jul 9, 2003, 02:15 PM
It can't be October. Motorola moved the release from the fourth quarter to the third. So it would be the end of September at the latest. If it was going to be the end of September, they probably would not have changed it from the fourth quarter to the third.

ddtlm
Jul 9, 2003, 02:31 PM
It seems reasonable to think that Apple will announce 7457-based laptops sort of soon, and ship them a month after announcement when they can actually get the chips.

MacFan25
Jul 9, 2003, 02:48 PM
I think that the next G4 PowerBook speeds will be either 1.25Ghz or 1.3Ghz. Anything over that , I think would be too hot for a G4.

CrackedButter
Jul 9, 2003, 02:54 PM
osxsucks.com isn't my website...i found it elsewhere and thought it was rather good of me to tell you also what i think of the os.

DakotaGuy
Jul 9, 2003, 02:56 PM
The 1.33Ghz that is used in the xServe was specially designed to run cooler in the small enclosure, so I think it is very possible to see the Powerbooks go to that speed with the current processors. By that time the 7457 should be out and they can scale higher without as many power and heat issues.

jbomber
Jul 10, 2003, 12:58 AM
so we're conceeding that any powerbooks that may be debutted at MWCE are not making use of the 7457?

it does seem very unlikely.

kinda begs the question- if apple is going to have its hands on these sweet processors in a few weeks, would they bother to put out a new laptop until that time or would they sit on em for a couple months anyway?

macphoria
Jul 10, 2003, 01:04 AM
kinda begs the question- if apple is going to have its hands on these sweet processors in a few weeks, would they bother to put out a new laptop until that time or would they sit on em for a couple months anyway?
They could do the thing they did with 17" PowerBook. Introduce 15" Aluminium PowerBook and not ship it for weeks. During that time, they could start installing 7457 and then ship them.

ddtlm
Jul 10, 2003, 01:46 AM
Abercrombieboy:

The 1.33Ghz that is used in the xServe was specially designed to run cooler in the small enclosure
Why do you keep making this claim? It sounds rediculous.

DakotaGuy
Jul 10, 2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by ddtlm
Abercrombieboy:

Why do you keep making this claim? It sounds rediculous.

I don't think it's ridiculous. Apple stated it themselves when the xServe was last updated. It was also stated by many people the reason the xServe was given the 1.33Ghz processor was because the 1.42Ghz ran too warm for the small enclosure. Properly cooled a 1.33Ghz G4 would be fine in a Powerbook. I remember when people said the Powerbook could not go above 800Mhz because they were running too warm. They are at 1Ghz with no cooling problems so I don't see a problem with a 1.33Ghz 7455 until the 7457's are ready.

ibilly
Jul 15, 2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by ddtlm
It seems reasonable to think that Apple will announce 7457-based laptops sort of soon, and ship them a month after announcement when they can actually get the chips.

considdering that the 7457 was shipped in quantity on the 2nd, we should see shp dates in the beginning of August. Read the press release from Moto:

Motorola Press Release (http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2687_2175_23,00.html)

Enjoy.

rainman::|:|
Jul 16, 2003, 12:43 AM
keep in mind powerbooks don't benefit from the added thickness of an xServe nor the twin blowers with airflow management...

i honestly think we're about tapped out on PB speeds until a) motorola comes up with a cooler G4 chip in an attempt to sway Apple into maintaining a relationship (more likely they'll sever G4 development, rumors have been flying for some time that Motorola would spin off it's processor unit) or b) the G5 hits laptops. Which is at least a year away, I think...

pnw

gotohamish
Jul 16, 2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
I won't even consider getting one unless its 1.3 GHz, at the least... 1.3 is what I'm expecting.

Yeah, sure. Whatever. Of course you won't. We believe you!;)