PDA

View Full Version : hdmi cable from powerbook to projector

Jun 16, 2007, 03:44 AM
i want to buy a cable on ebay that will connect out of my port on my powerbook g4, i think its a dvi outpout. and i want to plug it into a hdmi input on my projector.

there are different kinds, supposedly, of dvi cables.

DVI -D
DVI -M

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=160126570943&rd=1

can anyone tell me what kind of cable i need to get to do this?
thanks!!

MisterMe
Jun 16, 2007, 08:13 AM
Why? I bet dollars to donuts that your projector has a DVI-D port. It makes no sense to use an HDMI cable plus DVI to HDMI adapter to do the job that a DVI cable can do alone.

Multimedia
Jun 16, 2007, 08:19 AM
Forget E-Bay and buy all your cables cheapest from Dallas' HomeAVCables.com (http://store.homeavcables.com/). :) Their prices are radically lower than any other source of cables I know of. And their cables are top quality.

Jun 16, 2007, 08:24 PM
thanks for the info guys.

the type of projector i have is an infocus in72. there looks to be dvi port on it, but i think i need another proprietary adapter to be able to use it that only infocus sells that is quite costly...

mkrishnan
Jun 16, 2007, 09:06 PM
the type of projector i have is an infocus in72. there looks to be dvi port on it, but i think i need another proprietary adapter to be able to use it that only infocus sells that is quite costly...

Hmmm... special adaptor to use DVI? :confused:

I also think you have two things confused:

DVI-A
DVI-D
DVI-I

Cables that have analog only, digital only, or both analog and digital. You want DVI-I if at all possible, just so that you don't end up in a situation where it suddenly doesn't work.

DVI-M
DVI-F

I think they mean that it has a male or a female end connector.

itsallinurhead
Jun 17, 2007, 06:26 PM
thanks for the info guys.

You need the M1 to DVI adapter.

mkrishnan
Jun 17, 2007, 07:25 PM
While we're on the topic... are there many cables that go from DVI to HDMI that also have an audio plugin on the side that the DVI is on, so that they can lace into the audio segment of the HDMI port?