Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
lost angeles

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Why? I bet dollars to donuts that your projector has a DVI-D port. It makes no sense to use an HDMI cable plus DVI to HDMI adapter to do the job that a DVI cable can do alone.

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
lost angeles
thanks for the info guys.

the type of projector i have is an infocus in72. there looks to be dvi port on it, but i think i need another proprietary adapter to be able to use it that only infocus sells that is quite costly...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
the type of projector i have is an infocus in72. there looks to be dvi port on it, but i think i need another proprietary adapter to be able to use it that only infocus sells that is quite costly...

Hmmm... special adaptor to use DVI? :confused:

I also think you have two things confused:

DVI-A
DVI-D
DVI-I

Cables that have analog only, digital only, or both analog and digital. You want DVI-I if at all possible, just so that you don't end up in a situation where it suddenly doesn't work.

DVI-M
DVI-F

I think they mean that it has a male or a female end connector.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
While we're on the topic... are there many cables that go from DVI to HDMI that also have an audio plugin on the side that the DVI is on, so that they can lace into the audio segment of the HDMI port?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.