PDA

View Full Version : "Price Is Right" for.....Rosie?

xsedrinam
Jun 16, 2007, 04:26 PM
Retiring from The Price Is Right, Bob Barker has endorsed his friend Rosie O'Donnell (http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/16/barker.odonnell.ap/index.html) to be his successor for the popular T.V. show.

Barker said that CBS will meet with O'Donnell to discuss it, although the newly retired host isn't sure CBS wants a woman to take over the game show.

The ratings are noticeably down after CBS News' gamble with Katie Couric as anchor for the evening news. Whether it's because of a gender choice, or other factors, do you think Rosie has a chance to fill Barker's shoes, or will CBS look elsewhere?

monke
Jun 16, 2007, 04:29 PM
No, I think CBS will look elsewhere. It's certainly going to be hard to fill Barker's shoes though.

serpico
Jun 16, 2007, 04:31 PM
Oh say it ain't so. I'm no fan of hers and would never watch the show if she hosts it. She would ruin the game show fun that Barker created. Every day there would be a media story about an incident similar to what we saw on The View!

siurpeeman
Jun 16, 2007, 04:33 PM
i like rosie a lot, but i think she needs to step away from the spotlight a bit.

Kamera RAWr
Jun 16, 2007, 04:39 PM
I think they're going to look elsewhere. Rosie has been too controversial in the past. I think there are too many out there that don't have a favorable opinion of her anymore.

TheAnswer
Jun 16, 2007, 04:41 PM
Few people can fill Barker's shoes...IMHO, there's only one man for the job:

PlaceofDis
Jun 16, 2007, 04:42 PM
they could just retire the show.

i don't know. that would just seem a bit fitting if you ask me. why ruin it?

mattscott306
Jun 16, 2007, 04:48 PM
they could just retire the show.

i don't know. that would just seem a bit fitting if you ask me. why ruin it?

I can see your point, Bob really makes the current show, but I'd be interested in seeing an update, making the show a bit more modern.

I realize that most people who watch it are older, but I can remember skipping school and watching TPIR. It was like my wake up tradition. :D

Counterfit
Jun 16, 2007, 05:49 PM
making the show a bit more modern.

NEVAR!

Well, okay, they can add some new games. But the 1970's era set has got to stay!

Doctor Q
Jun 16, 2007, 06:05 PM
I think the new host ought to be somebody quite different from Bob Barker. I guess Rosie could use a new job, so why not? I also think they should change the show in some major way too, such as filming it in a new studio in a new city. Give it some fresh interest.

I never watched the show, but I know that Bob Barker's wife's concern for animals became one of Bob's causes. I wonder if he'll spend more time on interests like that now, or disappear into private life as Johnny Carson did.

Bob Barker said he's not planning to watch the show with its new host, so Rosie would have lost one fan of the show before she even started!

SkyBell
Jun 16, 2007, 06:29 PM
I vote for Steve Jobs. :)

hana
Jun 16, 2007, 06:37 PM
Hmm.... Rosie is on the East Coast with her family... not sure if she would make that commitment to do the show if it was on done on the West Coast.

How about Katie Couric as the host?
:D

What CBS would do for her to take that gig so they could put someone else on the news?

jmsait19
Jun 17, 2007, 09:34 AM

yes yes y-e-s

mcarnes
Jun 18, 2007, 02:26 AM

He would be *thrilled* to take the job. "Boom, you're a winner". "Look at this silverware, isn't it *cool*". "Very simple".

:p Just kidding, I love SJ.

Sun Baked
Jun 18, 2007, 03:15 AM
I can see it now, "you lying Republican bitch, get off my stage" as she tossed the intern out the door. :p

Even if she can smile on stage for 10 years, I doubt he backstage antics would change.

If they want a female, how bout Drew Carey in drag.

iSaint
Jun 18, 2007, 08:26 AM
This is the sort of mindless host job she needs. It doesn't take a lot of brains to run a game show like TPIR.

mattscott306
Jun 18, 2007, 08:36 AM
This is the sort of mindless host job she needs. It doesn't take a lot of brains to run a game show like TPIR.

Yet still she'd find some way to F is up.

Thomas Veil
Jun 18, 2007, 09:14 AM
76788Well, Clive Barker's shoes, maybe.

rockthecasbah
Jun 18, 2007, 10:22 AM
God no, The Price Is Right should be cancelled! It was Bob's baby, his show for like thirty-however-many years! Rosie...ugh. How could he tarnish his own show so much like that? :o

dmw007
Jun 18, 2007, 09:13 PM
I could not imagine Rosie as being the host of the "Price is Right". :o

I think Steve is rather busy being in charge of Apple at the moment. :p ;) :)

MacNut
Jun 19, 2007, 01:50 AM
I think Steve is rather busy being in charge of Apple at the moment. :p ;) :)And you know he would not "give away" iPhones, he wants people to buy them.:rolleyes:

Rosie no, The show will continue as it is a big money maker for CBS. There is a reason it is the longest running game show.

Xeem
Jun 19, 2007, 03:43 AM
Too many people hate Rosie for it to happen; her stint on the View considerably lowered public opinion of her even further down than it was.

imac/cheese
Jun 20, 2007, 12:59 PM
Whether you like or hate Rosie, you have to admit that she really does not have any class. Bob Barker brought so much class to the Price is Right and if Rosie took over, the show would take a whole new direction. Of course, they would probably get quite a bit of attention every time she did something outrageous and that might boost ratings and bring in more advertising dollars.

Doctor Q
Jun 20, 2007, 01:58 PM
News report:

Rosie has a meeting scheduled with CBS producers about hosting the show. So they consider her at least a candidate.

Reportedly, the leading candidates CBS sought were actor George Hamilton, Mark Steines from Entertainment Tonight, and Todd Newton, who hosts a Price is Right show in Las Vegas.

dswoodley
Jun 20, 2007, 02:08 PM
I am not sure when Rosie went off the deep end. I don't like Trump, but I'll give him one thing - Rosie is a bully.

rdowns
Jun 20, 2007, 02:27 PM
No way Rosie gets the gig. Her first demand was to change the name of the show to The Price is Left.

Doctor Q
Jun 20, 2007, 05:50 PM
No way Rosie gets the gig. Her first demand was to change the name of the show to The Price is Left.Tee hee.

Of course, Bob Barker promotes animal welfare, so that makes him a radical agitator too! Shame on him for thinking animals should live off government handouts instead of getting a job like the rest of us. After all, if bears can be gainfully employed wearing funny little hats while riding bicycles around in a circle, cats and dogs should work for a living too! :D

WildCowboy
Jul 23, 2007, 04:54 PM
And we have our answer: Drew Carey (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/07/23/entertainment/e142925D39.DTL).

Ugh...I really can't stand him. I hated the way the need for him to be a focal point really hampered the US version of Whose Line Is It Anyway? I know he's been one of the most heavily-rumored people for this job, so it's not a surprise, but I'm not in favor of it.

Plinko with Drew Carey...ugh.

Doctor Q
Jul 23, 2007, 05:16 PM
And we have our answer: Drew Carey (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/07/23/entertainment/e142925D39.DTL).It seems like a step down for him, from creative roles to a very scripted and repetitive one. At least we know that he can think on his feet, even though when it came to fast improv he was the least talented member of the Whose Line group.

Once he's done 6,586 episodes of the Price is Right, we'll compare how he did to Bob Barker's record.

OttawaGuy
Jul 23, 2007, 07:34 PM
New host of the "Price Is Right" is...
...Drew Carey?
The "Price Is Right" for Drew Carey!

Posted Jul 23rd 2007 5:46PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: TV

Comedian Drew Carey confirmed to David Letterman today that he is indeed going to take over for Bob Barker as host of "The Price Is Right."

In a taping for tonight's episode of "The Late Show," Carey told Dave, "It's a done deal. I'm the new host of "The Price Is Right.'"

Drew told Dave that he found out the deal was complete while he was waiting to come out for the show. The deal is so fresh, Drew doesn't even know when he begins!

Seems too boring a job to hold his interest to me.
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=269773&GT1=7703

puckhead193
Jul 23, 2007, 07:36 PM
eh.....no one will ever replace bob barker

siurpeeman
Jul 23, 2007, 07:42 PM
i'm a big fan of the cbs comedy, "how i met your mother." they did a great tpir episode where barney goes on the show to meet bob barker, whom he thinks could be his dad.

link here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RbaC_keFGI)

LinuXtreme
Jul 23, 2007, 07:42 PM

I'd also like to see Christopher Walken as host. I think it would be great to have someone who is just a bit unbalanced (not "Rosie O'Donnell unbalanced", but "Pranksters (SNL) unbalanced".

Now that you've given me the idea, Jack Nicholson would be another good choice:
"And now, folks, it's time for 'Who do you trust!' Hubba, hubba, hubba! Money, money, money! Who do you trust? Me? The Audience? I'm giving away free money! And where is Bob Barker? HE'S AT HOME WASHING HIS TIGHTS!" </The Joker>

Gymnut
Jul 23, 2007, 08:03 PM
I hope Drew doesn't adopt that old school microphone, it wouldn't look right in anyone else's hands but Bob's.

Kamera RAWr
Jul 24, 2007, 02:16 AM
I didn't realize people were so sentimental about "The Price is Right" and Bob Barker :o

Abstract
Jul 24, 2007, 03:05 AM
eh.....no one will ever replace bob barker

I know that when people think of "The Price is Right", people think of Bob Barker. However, it didn't require a man with a particularly high level of charm and character. It did require charm and character, but Drew matches Bob in level, if not in style.

The one thing I don't get is why Drew took this braindead job? I'm sure it's just something to do for now, because he has too much potential still left in him to be just a game show monkey. He obviously has the ability to think and act quickly. This is beneath him.

And no, I'm not a big Drew Carey fan.

At least we know that he can think on his feet, even though when it came to fast improv he was the least talented member of the Whose Line group.

He was the least talented? Well, I'd say he wasn't as talented as the 3 main people (Ryan Stiles, Colin, and Wayne Choke-a-Bitch Brady). Compared to the other people who were in and out of that 4th position, he was OK.

Sun Baked
Jul 24, 2007, 05:31 AM
My vote was for him weeks ago, but I guess they aren't going to toss him onstage in a dress to replace Rosie. Though I wouldn't rule out the dress in the future.

However, at that point I didn't think he would really be able to get the job. Since they seemed to give voice to a different direction.

Not a bad selection though, and isn't somebody that will tend to cause bad press.

Which is likely a good thing.

2nyRiggz
Jul 24, 2007, 05:44 AM

I know one thing...He'll certainly scare the guest into getting it wrong. Maybe its time for the show to take a dipout but that won't happen and Rosie might just be the one for it(she might scare the hell out of people as well)

Bless

MacNut
Jul 24, 2007, 09:17 AM
I think its time for TPIR to ride off into the sunset, I am enjoying the Barker reruns more then thinking of a new host. Nobody can ever replace Bob Barker, it wont ever be the same show. I will give it a few days but I probably won't watch it anymore.

Sdashiki
Jul 24, 2007, 10:05 AM
Drew Carrey...come on down?

http://www.tmz.com/2007/07/23/the-price-is-right-for-drew-carey/