PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's Going WiFi!!!

Mr. Anderson
Jul 8, 2003, 10:59 AM
Have a Big Mac while surfing the internet on your Mac :D

http://money.cnn.com/2003/07/08/technology/mcdonalds_wireless.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

I wonder if we'll be seeing more chains start doing this?

D

FriarTuck
Jul 8, 2003, 11:37 AM
And as an added bonus, you'll be able to keep your fries warm with your 12" PB.

rueyeet
Jul 8, 2003, 12:05 PM
So far McDonald's only does this in Manhattan and San Francisco, if I remember correctly. It would be really interesting if they did it nationwide....think of all the travelers, truckers, and tourists who'd rest easy knowing they can eat and email anywhere they go. More reason to buy a laptop....

shadowfax
Jul 8, 2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by rueyeet
So far McDonald's only does this in Manhattan and San Francisco, if I remember correctly. It would be really interesting if they did it nationwide....think of all the travelers, truckers, and tourists who'd rest easy knowing they can eat and email anywhere they go. More reason to buy a laptop.... i think that this is where we are headed in the next few years. it's a relatively inexpensive service, and one that is good for business from people who have money. and laptops, of course. is this service going to cost money, like stupid starbucks, or will they make it free or ad-based, like Schlotzky's and Mozart's, a coffee shop here in Austin?

bennetsaysargh
Jul 8, 2003, 12:27 PM
i dont think i'll be going ito Mcdonalds to have internet access and eat.
#1i think there is a big risk of getting food on the computer, and
#2 i dont like McDonalds.
lol:p

agreenster
Jul 8, 2003, 12:36 PM
And whats the deal with the last line? 'intel's wireless chip?' That always cracks me up. Intel has the stupidest way of trying to convince people that the chip actually has something to do with the fact that the computer is wireless. WTF?

voicegy
Jul 8, 2003, 12:48 PM
Unless such chain resturants have expanded "dining" rooms, I don't see the point because the whole idea of "fast food" while eating "for here" is to get 'em in and get 'em out...well...fast.

Refreshing the seating area is important to these places. With provided Internet access, it'll just keep the customer there longer. (however, if there is a charge or fee involved for the connection, that's just another source of revenue to the chain, so my point may be moot.)

alia
Jul 8, 2003, 12:52 PM
I believe I read something about this on CNN a while back that said that McDonalds would give you X number of minutes when you bought a combo or a certain amount of food, and you could purchase extra time if needed. You could also go back and buy more food if you wanted more time.

Alia

shadowfax
Jul 8, 2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by alia
I believe I read something about this on CNN a while back that said that McDonalds would give you X number of minutes when you bought a combo or a certain amount of food, and you could purchase extra time if needed. You could also go back and buy more food if you wanted more time.

Alia yes, i remember reading something like that too. i think that's right.

Mudbug
Jul 8, 2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by FriarTuck
And as an added bonus, you'll be able to keep your fries warm with your 12" PB.

or you could offer to cook the burgers with your 1.4 Ghz 17" :D

Billicus
Jul 8, 2003, 01:38 PM
It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's going to take off the ground at a fast food restaurant like McDonalds. We'll just have to wait and see...

MacFan25
Jul 8, 2003, 02:27 PM
It will be interesting to see how many people will use it.

I sure wouldn't want to eat greasy foods and then use my laptop, though.

clonenode
Jul 8, 2003, 02:57 PM
Am I the only one who's afraid of the "INTELification" of WiFi? They better not start messing with the standard that Apple popularized, or we'll have another "Windows InternetExplorer" only situation.

MacManDan
Jul 8, 2003, 03:13 PM
I personally wouldn't be caught dead bringing my TiBook into McDonalds .. all those kids + grease + mess = big trouble. I don't know about other McDs, but the ones in my area are just plain nasty .. I'd rather go to a WiFi enabled Starbucks or something! (especially since Starbucks is a significantly better environment for my taste).

Although I'm not saying it's not a bad idea .. maybe WiFi will spread like an epidemic when kids realize they can play on Disney.com while greasing up their parents' laptops and eating their McNuggets.;)

medea
Jul 8, 2003, 03:46 PM
A future scenario:
A population of obese americans who can't pry their hands from their computer for 30 minutes or take a break away from Im'ing and emailing to eat a healthy meal. Would we view ourselves as a fast food nation or a wired nation?

MacFan25
Jul 8, 2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by MacManDan
I personally wouldn't be caught dead bringing my TiBook into McDonalds .. all those kids + grease + mess = big trouble.
Maybe Macdonald's is going to set up a special section for the WiFi users, and keep it clean so the laptops won't get messed up.

shadowfax
Jul 8, 2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by medea
A future scenario:
A population of obese americans who can't pry their hands from their computer for 30 minutes or take a break away from Im'ing and emailing to eat a healthy meal. Would we view ourselves as a fast food nation or a wired nation? a nation of extremes, perhaps. thanks for the cynical note. i'm sure the RIAA appeals to the maintenance of high-dollar CD album markets by asking, what if we become a nation of people who just sit at our computers and download music, a nation of thieves? we can't possibly think of progress, it will only lead to thievery.

whfsdude
Jul 8, 2003, 05:19 PM
The internet in McDonalds umm… I hope they have lots of napkins ;-)

shadowfax
Jul 8, 2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by whfsdude
The internet in McDonalds umm… I hope they have lots of napkins ;-) how about custom waterproof covers for laptops? ;)

tazo
Jul 8, 2003, 07:29 PM
and of course they wont be in washington st :rolleyes:

tight but 250 million people in the US don't live in SF :(

also at the end of the article it says 'to make sure they work with Intel's wireless chips.

I would not be surprised if they shut out macs.

unfaded
Jul 8, 2003, 07:48 PM
Yay...now if there was only something I could eat there...

herr_neumann
Jul 8, 2003, 09:06 PM
Drive through email here I come.... Now I finally will have something to do when waiting forever to get to the pickup window....

Mr. Anderson
Jul 8, 2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by tazo
also at the end of the article it says 'to make sure they work with Intel's wireless chips.

I would not be surprised if they shut out macs.

I don't think they'd do that - you'll end up seeing the exact same thing you see at B&N and Starbucks.....so anyone in SF?

Go take a trip to McDonald's, get a few pics if they're advertising the WiFi and upload them on your Mac to the site :D

D

Steradian
Jul 8, 2003, 09:34 PM
Hmm you mean that the WiFi at StarBucks is not Mac-Compatiable...I thought that WiFi was a standard of somesort. Or does it just mean that the Wireless reouter that they are using won't give the Mac an IP addy? I am a bit confused anyone care to enlighten me. Hmm WiFi at McDonalds could be a cool things, Esp. if your in an Airport, or out of state etc. Similar to most hotels nowanddays

Mr. Anderson
Jul 8, 2003, 09:37 PM
Its most likely going to be a DHCP set up - all you have to do is see the wireless with your airport turned on and you should be able to connect.

Now if they're going to only allow you a certain amount of time, or make sure you pay for food before you surf, I have no idea how they'll enforce that.

D

shadowfax
Jul 8, 2003, 09:41 PM
i've been to ones at starbucks, the service at UT austin, and the Airport, all of which aren't free. usually the way they regulate it is allowing you to connect to the wifi router, but you can't connect to the internet till you open your browser, which automatically gets redirected to a site with payment options or passwords or such. it's very open standard, tazo, they won't be closing out macs.

voicegy
Jul 8, 2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by medea
A future scenario:
A population of obese americans who can't pry their hands from their computer for 30 minutes or take a break away from Im'ing and emailing to eat a healthy meal

....and, when finished, hopping on their Segway's and "walking" the five blocks back home.

tazo
Jul 8, 2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
i've been to ones at starbucks, the service at UT austin, and the Airport, all of which aren't free. usually the way they regulate it is allowing you to connect to the wifi router, but you can't connect to the internet till you open your browser, which automatically gets redirected to a site with payment options or passwords or such. it's very open standard, tazo, they won't be closing out macs.

i am sure they could find a way to keep out macs, i was just commenting on the the article mentioning 'wireless intel chip..."

alia
Jul 9, 2003, 07:53 AM
It doesn't seem like it would be in their best interest to "keep out macs". They are a business trying to make money. They would want to appeal to everyone - mac users eat burgers too.

I could see it being an issue if the system wasn't standardized, but wifi is a standard protocol, so there's no extra effort they have to take to support macs. It don't think it's reasonable to assume they will try to block mac users. :)

You're probably just being paranoid. The writer of the article didn't necessarily have any idea how wifi worked, or they wouldn't even have said Intel specifically. IMO anyway.
;)

Alia

Steradian
Jul 9, 2003, 09:34 AM
Hey I think this news just got even better, in Todays San Jose Mercury news, there is an article discussing it a bit more clearly, saying that all you need to do is pay 4.95 for 2 hours. But that you will get free WiFI for the first 6 weeks. But what cought my eye was not what the article was about, but rather the picture of a lady with a PowerBook Sitting in Mc Donalds. So all you need to Do now to get great, free, WiFi acsess is a Big Mac :D

wdlove
Jul 9, 2003, 04:12 PM
Boston Globe, Business Section 7/9/03 has an article "McDonald's expands wireless Net access" Julie Ask, a senior analyst for Jupiter Research, shows a picture of her using a PB 17" in a San Francisco resturant. Interesting already 10 in NY and now expanded to 55 in the SF aread. I wonder how long it will be before Boston will offer thise service?

srobert
Jul 10, 2003, 01:34 PM
Is this what it looks like?

http://www.canada.com/technology/story.html?id=35BEF54F-840B-460C-BB66-4341A68F8E33

iMac = Clownputer?

Of course, computers are not included with the service, only wi-fi. So it'll be PCs and Macs at McD's.

Just found a list of the wi-fi McDs:

http://www.mcdwireless.com/

Abstract
Jul 10, 2003, 01:49 PM
I don't think McD attracts the market or demographic necessary to keep this little project afloat. McD's will take another hit on this project. It may be good for some people, but seriously, $4.95 for 2 hours of web time? Who is going to need to wi-fi for 2 hours at a McD**ks? :D

I think their idea would survive if they charged $1.50 to "supersize" their combo to one that includes their WiFi. I think people would do that, but people would rather hang out at a Starbucks for 1 or 2 hours.

coolbreeze
Jul 10, 2003, 01:53 PM
I can see it now:

User goes to McDonalds. Orders greasy everything. Sits down. Opens iBook. Stuffs face. Tries to wipe grease off hands; gives up. iBook is now fully booted. Sits there for 30 minutes surfing web on "McWi-Fi network." Ends up getting greasy slop all over iBook.

Calls Applecare. Whines. Apple refuses to fix iBook. User is immediately a "victim."

User sues McDonalds because the unusually high grease content of their food ruined their laptop investment.

User wins lawsuit, buys Dual G5, 23" cinema display.

Everyone reads the story on CNN and gets livid.

McDonlands issues warnings on menu "Warning, our food is greasy and will ruin your little computer. Don't sue us because you are a slob"

Just some weird humor for today. Too much coke. Hope you liked it.

-Breeze:cool:

MacManDan
Jul 10, 2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Abstract
I think their idea would survive if they charged $1.50 to "supersize" their combo to one that includes their WiFi. I think people would do that, but people would rather hang out at a Starbucks for 1 or 2 hours.

Amen to that. This was a dead project from the start. I stated in another discussion that grease+mess+kids=trouble .. there's no way I'm taking my powerbook there (nevermind the terrible food..)

LoL .. supersize the combo to include WiFi .. that's funny.

Starbucks is a significantly better environment to surf the web, IMO. Well .. even some of the smaller, more local coffee shops that have WiFi are the best. Comfortable and clean .. just the right kind of place to take my PB. :)

Kwyjibo
Jul 10, 2003, 02:22 PM
for those of you that have seen Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and Dogma this reminds me of the computers that were in the mcd"s knock off Mooby's

yzedf
Jul 10, 2003, 02:53 PM
McDonald's Corp., which already has been offering wireless Web access at 10 restaurants in New York City, is expanding the pilot program to dozens more restaurants spanning the San Francisco Bay region.
What they fail to mention is that nobody uses it in NYC. I have never seen more than 2 or so at any one time using the service.

jbomber
Jul 10, 2003, 04:56 PM
lame.

they're not thinking this through.

mcdonald's is built on the premise of fast food. make your order, get in, get out, it's over. the 'restaurants' were never intended to be lounges or hangout spots. i doubt there are very many people going in there with the intention of spending more than 10-15 minutes max.

If the service were free, or included once you passed a certain dollar amount, it might be good for someone who incidentally remembers that he needs to check on an e-mail or send out a meeting reminder.

Otherwise it's going to flop spectacularly.

Das
Jul 10, 2003, 05:23 PM
If they wanted to make this a success, they should build the monitors into the table, a la the old Pac-Man tables (something that the patron couldn't "accidentally" walk away with). The only thing that they'd have to worry about is content. McDonald's loses its child like appearance when the pages of Hustler are being displayed. Also, what about p2p?