PDA

View Full Version : uh-oh...my iPod is seeing colors

phreeQue
Jul 8, 2003, 06:21 PM
I bought an iPod a few days ago, and already I'm seeing weird colored rings around the top middle of the screen, almost like it has been pressed hard in that location or that it was left out in the sun for awhile. Neither of these things happened, and you can only see these rings under certain lighting conditions, but it may be getting worse. Anyone else have similar problems?

zarathustra
Jul 8, 2003, 06:41 PM
I think you might just be a little paranoid. All LCDs will show a bit of a color under certain lighting conditions.

i am looking at my first generation iPod right now, and it has it, if I tilt it just so in certain lighting...

Unless it obscures or deteriorates the actual images on the display, I wouldn't be concerned.

If it's bad, how about some pictures?

evil
Jul 8, 2003, 07:38 PM
yes i agree about the paranoia.
i just bought a 30 gig a few days ago and my screen has a bit of rainbow thing going on.
not a big deal.

GroundLoop
Jul 8, 2003, 07:50 PM
You are not paranoid. This is a known issue with the first batch of iPods. My 30GB has them as well. I contacted Apple about it and they said that there is nothing to worry about and that they would not replace it. It's a shame but we just have to deal with it.

Hickman

King Cobra
Jul 8, 2003, 08:11 PM
I think it's a cool effect, knowing you can't get color text on the current iPods.

You could remove that effect by turning on the backlight. :D

job
Jul 8, 2003, 08:32 PM
My iPod looks messed up when I look at it with sun glasses on. It has all these crazy looking colored rings and lines all over the display, yet without the glasses, the LCD appears fine.

King Cobra
Jul 8, 2003, 08:44 PM
That reminds me....when I look at my monitor with sunglasses at an angle the monitor looks purple. But everything else looks dark.

Pretty cool.

e-coli
Jul 8, 2003, 09:36 PM
either that or you all have a secret prototype with a high res screen and color ;)

Daveman Deluxe
Jul 9, 2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by job
My iPod looks messed up when I look at it with sun glasses on. It has all these crazy looking colored rings and lines all over the display, yet without the glasses, the LCD appears fine.

Do your sunglasses have polarized lenses? Polarized lenses can do what you just described.

chewbaccapits
Jul 9, 2003, 02:43 AM
I freaked out when I got my new iPod too...But, from what everyone says it normal...Oh, well, this has been discussed before, check out thru here:

look about half way down for my name, you'll see the anxiety (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=26660)

blogo
Jul 9, 2003, 05:14 AM
im more worried about the iPods ability to get scratches, its like its begging for more scratches.

MacFan25
Jul 9, 2003, 02:52 PM
I just looked at my iPod and in some light, I can see a little bit of color on the screen. I think its normal, and just part of the screen.

MacManDan
Jul 9, 2003, 03:03 PM
I too have noticed this rainbow effect in my 3g 15 gig iPod .. but I think it's the way the light reflects off the screen. I tilt it a different way and it either disappears or moves locations. And of course .. like King Cobra said earlier .. turning on the backlight helps (well, if it's dark enough .. maybe not in direct sunlight)