Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jossshr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
The iPhone site is being updated now. It mentions youtube on iPhone in bottom left, but the link just goes to the "Breakthrough Internet Device" demo

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
I concur,

The layout for the iPhone has changed on Apple's websites, and the iPhone's now have the 12th spot filled in

Attachments

• 12app.jpg
    12app.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 7,589

spydr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2005
MD
and what's up with the touch demo video spilling and floating over text? You would think they'll have zero tolerance towards cosmetic blemishes on any of the iPhone pages...

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
YouTube Live Today on Apple TV & Coming to the iPhone

Apple has announced that YouTube content is available on the Apple TV today and will be coming to the iPhone upon its launch on June 29th.

Apple® today announced that iPhone™ users will be able to enjoy YouTube’s originally-created content on their iPhones when they begin shipping on June 29. A new Apple-designed application on iPhone will wirelessly stream YouTube’s content to iPhone over Wi-Fi or EDGE networks and play it on iPhone’s stunning 3.5 inch display.

Apple TV users can download a free update via the built-in software update to enable YouTube content.

Both AppleTV and the iPhone will play YouTube content that has been reencoded into the h.264 video format. 10,000 of YouTube's videos have been converted so far with the remainder expected by the fall.

The press release claims that h.264 was chosen "to achieve higher video quality and longer battery life on mobile devices".

Indeed, reports coming out of WWDC is that one of Apple's justifications of avoiding Flash video playback on the iPhone is for improved battery life. The iPhone contains dedicated hardware capable of playing h.264 content, while Flash content would require more intensive use of the iPhone's CPU, resulting in higher battery drain.

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
Sweet. If its got youtube, it doesn't need a TV tuner or flash. Now I want one more than ever. Watching Robot Chicken episodes on the bus sounds like a fun way to spend the morning...

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
To whomever has an AppleTV; does this update bring any other functionality or features? Possibly a setting to change aspect ratio to 4:3 (i wish!)? Thanks.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Sweet. If its got youtube, it doesn't need a TV tuner or flash. Now I want one more than ever. Watching Robot Chicken episodes on the bus sounds like a fun way to spend the morning...

is edge fast enough to stream youtube content? this sounds like a feature that would require wifi. i wonder, though, if one can record/store youtube content on the iphone. overall, good news.

Asar

macrumors regular
May 29, 2006
any new app is a plus, so this is great! however, the low battery cop out being the excuse for no flash? apple could've kept that. oh well, 9 more days :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.