PDA

View Full Version : French civil service says 'non' to the Blackberry

BoyBach
Jun 21, 2007, 02:51 PM
Seven million people worldwide may be addicted to them but the French government has said "non" to Le BlackBerry, fearing US intelligence agents could be snooping on state secrets.

"The risks of interception are real. It is economic war," Alain Juillet, who is in charge of economic intelligence for the government, told Le Monde newspaper.

The concern is that information sent from a BlackBerry gets routed via servers in the United States and Britain, and that this poses "a problem with the protection of information".

And my favourite quote that I've read a long time:

"We feel like we're losing a ridiculous amount of time. We're having to learn how to do things in the old-school way," one minister's aide complained.

- The Independent (http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2686849.ece)

Linkjeniero
Jun 22, 2007, 01:17 AM
I think it's a valid point (maybe I've been watching too much 24 lately though :p ). That doesn't mean they should keep doing things "the old way" though; instead, they should implement a secure enough solution (one that doesn't involve sending their sensitive info to the US, and of course, heavy encription).

RedTomato
Jun 22, 2007, 05:05 AM
Misleading title alert!

(tho the article is a bit vague too)

As I read it, only the French civil servants (dunno the US term - people who who work directly inside a govt department i.e. diplomats and advisors, but not teachers or cleaners) are banned.

Anyone else in France is welcome to enjoy their crackberry.

BoyBach
Jun 22, 2007, 05:24 AM
Misleading title alert!

Thanks, I've now edited the title.

(tho the article is a bit vague too)

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! ;)

biturbomunkie
Jun 22, 2007, 05:29 AM
on the other hand, the GWB administration likes to use non-governmental email accounts to discuss national security stuff.

killerrobot
Jun 22, 2007, 06:47 AM
on the other hand, the GWB administration likes to use non-governmental email accounts to discuss national security stuff.

LOL.

Why would stuff be getting routed through the US for French communications anyways, I'm mean unless it's between France and the French embassies in the US? But any phone can be tapped just as easily I would assume, and I'm sure the NSA eavesdrops on any international phone call as well. Hell, they did it on national phone calls. Ooops, that one leaked as well.:)

Henri Gaudier
Jun 23, 2007, 04:45 AM
Juillet is absolutely right in this. America does use sig int from Echelon and others for economic benefits to the US and to sabotage deals in the European interest. Former (CIA) director James Woolsey in 2000 admitted that America steals economic secrets using reconnaissance satellites and more. He also said that there was a greater emphasis on economics than terrorism. Ahh the mighty dollar.

In March, 2003 the United Nations began a top-level investigation into the bugging of its delegations by the United States using Echelon. The Observer, a quality UK broadsheet, published details of a memo sent by the NSA ordering a "dirty tricks" intelligence surge against Angola, Cameroon, Chile, Bulgaria and Guinea with "extra focus on Pakistan UN matters." The operation was designed to win votes in favor of intervention in Iraq. While the bugging of foreign diplomats at the UN is permissible under the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, it is a breach of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.

It's an outrage and I'm glad it has been spoken of in public circles.