Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiwi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2003
Article on macobserver.com

.Net is a no show, XP is stuttering, and the Department of Justice suspects the Gates Gang of not living up to the terms of the infamous lawsuit settlement. So what do some PC users with too much time on their hands wind up doing? How about attempting to soil Steve Jobs' good standing in Forbes' CEO Approval Rating Poll.

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/07/09.4.shtml

Strictly speaking, these polls are useless...but I voted anyway!

The Forbes CEO poll is here...

http://www.forbes.com/2003/01/21/cx_ceotech.html

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Voted for Jobs. :D

Voted "No" for Ballmer. Flood Ballmer with "No" votes....the same PC'ers who voted "No" for Jobs have obviously been flooding Ballmers vote box with "Yes" votes.

kiwi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2003
Auto vote

More evidence for the futility of these polls but for those interested...

http://www.macobserver.com/comments/commentindivdisplay.shtml?id=30215

The Wintel crowd is bot-voting (using an application to auto-vote again and again) against Steve Jobs and for Steve Ballmer (approx. 30000 votes per day). The only way to compete is to auto-vote, too. This is possible through AppleScript:

1. set Safari's homepage to http://forums.prospero.com/n/mb/vie...1&vote=1&submit=%A0%A0Vote+Now%A0%3E%3E%A0%A0 (the 'vote for steve' link) and set Safari to open new windows with homepage in Safari's prefs.

2. install the System Events Beta and Script Editor from the 'pre-release software' folder on the Jaguar Developer Tools CD (needed for UI element scripting)

3. 'enable access for assistive devices' in Sys Prefs>Universal Access to enable UI element scripting.

4. run the following AppleScript:

on run
tell application "System Events"
set ResetCounter to 0
repeat
try
open application "Safari"
end try
set frontmost of process "Safari" to true
tell process "Safari"
click menu item "Reset Safari..." of menu "Safari" of menu bar 1
try
click button "Reset" of window 1
end try
try
click button "Reset" of window 2
end try
end tell
repeat 1200000 times -- this is a wait cycle, adjust as needed
set x to 1
end repeat
set ResetCounter to ResetCounter + 1
if ResetCounter > 100 then -- here we restart Safari to avoid stack overflow
tell application "Safari"
quit
end tell
repeat 2400000 times -- this is a wait cycle, adjust as needed
set x to 1
end repeat
set ResetCounter to 0
end if
end repeat
end tell
end run

The wait cycles may need to be adjusted to your computer's speed and the speed of your internet connection. The script can only be quit through 'Force Quit'. Sorry, but it's been a while since my last scripting.

PS: Alternatively, to vote against Ballmer, set http://forums.prospero.com/n/mb/vie...1&vote=2&submit=%A0%A0Vote+Now%A0%3E%3E%A0%A0 as Safari's default homepage.

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
Re: Auto vote

Originally posted by kiwi
The Wintel crowd is bot-voting (using an application to auto-vote again and again) against Steve Jobs and for Steve Ballmer (approx. 30000 votes per day). The only way to compete is to auto-vote, too. This is possible through AppleScript:

*snip*

Does this really work? Whenever I go there it says "Your vote was Yes on 7/3/2003 11:23 am" which was when I first voted. I think it might be restricting votes by ip#, I tried deleating all the forbes cookies.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
This poll is definitley not accurate. I think Forbes will be able to tell that something is up, though.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Give it a rest. Forbes will probably nullify the results soon. Auto voting for Jobs is just as pathetic as auto voting for Ballmer. Leave Forbes' servers alone.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
And who really cares? If Ballmer 'wins', will Steve be so discouraged that he shuts Apple down and retires? Will we all have to start using Windows? Will Arn have to start a WinRumors.com (and WinBytes)?.

Everyone already knows that Windows usres vastly outnumber Mac users. It's not news. The poll is completely meaningless.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Just wanted to give balance.

Auto-spamming for Jobs and against Ballmer evens out when they do it. Well, it would if there were more of us. Forbes wants to runs these Polls, they know what they're getting into. I'm sure the extra hits to their pages don't hurt them any.

Just like when a PC writer needs hits to his page and says something bad about the Mac (the more wrong, the better). Free advertising from the zealots. I know you shouldn't feed the trolls, but sometimes it's too hard to resist.

As if anyone really likes Ballmer.

As if most of the people who voted against Jobs even knows anything about him. Makes him look better that he has so many votes. Either way. He must be doing something right.

kiwi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2003
Like I said, I think these polls are useless. It is slightly interesting as a cultural phenomenon that people get excited about such things as if they actually make a difference. Having said that, I still found it irresistable to vote.

No sympathy at all for Forbes though. They probably anticipate this sort of thing.

As for the auto voting - I don't know if it works or not - it's not my idea and a link to the original post is included. It looks to me that voting is limited to IP.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
It would be easier to run a script through terminal that uses curl, would vote much faster than an applescript that works through Safari

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Well, at least Jobs is back on the positive side now, even if it's only 51%. I voted a few times, hopefully he'll get caught back up or Forbes will take it down. Too bad some people can't leave polls to the proper one vote each.

JW

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Windows users get bored with it, while we still keep clicking (so I have no life... I'm ok with that).

Mac bashers seem to have ADHD anyway.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Anybody else get this when they go to the site on a Windows machine?

Attachments

• forbes.jpg
    forbes.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 107

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I only get it once in awhile. And only on a Windows machine. Not a virus, but some kinda plug-in. I've gotten similar from other sites as well. Never click yes, unless it's flash or shockwave.

Norton and ZoneAlarm say nothing.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by solvs
I only get it once in awhile. And only on a Windows machine. Not a virus, but some kinda plug-in. I've gotten similar from other sites as well. Never click yes, unless it's flash or shockwave.

Norton and ZoneAlarm say nothing.

Meh the last time my friend was on some site and it was like 'let Microsóft access for downloads'

he clicked yes, opened it and it was a virus. :eek:

irod

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Simple shell script to vote for Steve

1) Make the following your Home page in Safari preferences:

http://forums.prospero.com/n/mb/viewpoll.asp?webtag=fdc_ceorate&tid=219&lgnF=y&dlink=1&vote=1&submit=%A0%A0Vote+Now%A0%3E%3E%A0%A0

2) Make a script in the text editor of your choice with the following commands:

while [1]
do
open /Applications/Safari.app
sleep 10
killall Safari
rm -fr /Users/rod/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist
done

Then open up Terminal and navigate to the directory that contains the file and type this:

chmod +x name_of_script

That's to make it executable.

Then while in that same directory in Terminal you can execute it with the command ./name_of_script

While running this script, it will continuously open Safari, wait 10 seconds (while the vote for Steve is submitted via the link), close Safari, delete your cookies, and start over. This way the vote will count every time.

Each reader could singlehandedly add over 100,000 votes to Steve in what's left of the month. Of course, you'd only want to leave it running whle you're away from your computer since it pretty much takes over by opening and closing Safari constantly.

You could adjust the value after 'sleep' if your computer takes longer to open the 'submit vote' page. You could also replace the link with:

http://forums.prospero.com/n/mb/viewpoll.asp?webtag=fdc_ceorate&tid=220&lgnF=y&dlink=1&vote=2&submit=%A0%A0Vote+Now%A0%3E%3E%A0%A0

To make it continuously vote No for Ballmer.

Enjoy!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.