PDA

View Full Version : Low end ibook.

dingdongbubble
Jun 23, 2007, 09:09 PM
I am going to go to Canada and a cousin suggested that I should buy ibook so that I dont get bored. I thought that it was a good idea to buy a used one from ebay. I want to use the ibook as a test so that I may switch to Mac from Windows if the Mac OSX is alright for me.

I will be doing all the basic tasks that most people do like emailing, movies, chatting etc.

Dreamweaver. This is I guess the only heavy task I will be doing. I am learning Dreamweaver so I want to be able to use it with reasonable performance.

I want to buy the ibook for as cheap as possible and get the best value and bang for the buck. Its not my mainstream computer. Can you suggest the specs I should look for on ebay.

Thank YOu

pdra05
Jun 23, 2007, 10:02 PM
I've been using Dreamweaver 8 on an iBook G4 for a while now and it works fine! Look for one that's got at least 512MB - 1GB of RAM included.. As for the other specs, it depends on how much you're willing to spend.. :)

thejadedmonkey
Jun 23, 2007, 10:11 PM
I think you might be better off just buying a refurb macbook. any iBook you buy now is going to cost $400+ for anything descent, while refurb Macbook's go for $800, and they come with the standard warranty.

Sure it's not your main computer, yet...

CRAZYBUBBA
Jun 23, 2007, 10:26 PM
If you're into the 'clamshell' design just pick up one of those old ibooks. They'll run panther very well just make sure that you have enough ram, after that, if you're not doing anything serious with it you can resell it for 100 dollars loss and upgrade to a 'real' mac.

In case you're unfamilar with this type of ibook here's a link.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/stats/ibook_se.html

flyfish29
Jun 23, 2007, 10:48 PM
If you're into the 'clamshell' design just pick up one of those old ibooks. They'll run panther very well just make sure that you have enough ram, after that, if you're not doing anything serious with it you can resell it for 100 dollars loss and upgrade to a 'real' mac.

In case you're unfamilar with this type of ibook here's a link.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/stats/ibook_se.html

I think you need to get at least a white iBook- the clamshells will run ok, but not great and if this is how you are judging your OSx experience then you want it to be at least usable at multitasking and doing basic things...just my opinion. The resale of any ibook will be pretty good so invest $4-500 and you will get most of that back in resale if you so choose.

teflon
Jun 23, 2007, 11:10 PM
I am going to go to Canada and a cousin suggested that I should buy ibook so that I dont get bored.

First of all, you WILL NOT be BORED in CANADA! :p That aside, i would also suggest you to look into the refurb option. An ibook G4 seem to go around for $500 right now, while a refurb CD mb can be had for $800. It'll last you for a lot longer. It's also thinner :cool:.

eyebeaz
Jun 24, 2007, 01:49 AM
Perhaps mentioning a budget would help those who want to give advice.. just a suggestion.

dingdongbubble
Jun 24, 2007, 01:59 AM
I will be staying at my cousins and he is a fat nutcase. I am also quite sure I wont be bored as I will go out exploring on my own.

I dont like the clamshell design and I want to go for the current white design.

If I go upto $800, I might as well buy a full fledged 'main' computer which I dont want to do until quad cores roll out. I dont want to buy my main computer because I am fine with my Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz.

Does anyone on these forums have an old G4 which he/she is willing to sell for testing purposes?

SkyBell
Jun 24, 2007, 02:25 AM
How about a white G3? Got my the one in my sig for $350, they can be found from $320 to about $400. 800 MHZ, 256 MB RAM, 30 GB HD. Does email, chatting internet music and movies just great with Tiger.

divedeepfl305
Jun 24, 2007, 02:38 AM
I currently have one selling on ebay. Check it out I want 250.00 for it is the reserve price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250134353841&rd=1&rd=1

SkyBell
Jun 24, 2007, 02:40 AM
I currently have one selling on ebay. Check it out I want 250.00 for it is the reserve price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250134353841&rd=1&rd=1

Damn... I wish you would've sold that a few months ago. :D Mine has the infamous logic board problems....:(

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 24, 2007, 09:10 AM
Wanted Threads are restricted to the Marketplace forum on Macrumors, where you must have 100 posts in order to create a new thread. You are free to start another thread asking for advice but please do not create a Wanted thread until you have reached the post minimum.