PDA

View Full Version : Quake 3 on Dual 800

MacRumors
Aug 27, 2001, 05:05 AM
Dual 800 Quake 3 benchmarks (http://duxbury.la/dp800/dp800_1.html) have been posted.

Of note, this page has graphs comparing the Dual 800 vs a Dual 550mhz (overclocked). The Dual 800 is the following:

Stock configed dp800 (*not* BTO'd). THEN remove: nVidia Twinview 2mx. THEN add: a mac-flashed Asus 8200 Pure PC GeForce3; an 80GB IBM Deskstar 7200 slave drive; two 512mb sticks of pc133 cl3 ram

Deelay
Aug 27, 2001, 07:47 AM
Hm..they got 205fps out from the dual 533......so what went wrong?you should get much more out of it or is it because of 10.04?

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/OS_x_10.1_beta_performance.html

spikey
Aug 27, 2001, 10:25 AM
over 200 fps out of a dual 533???
thats ***** from a zealot site.
though i am not surprised at the dual 800 fps
anything over 200 fps at those resolutions is great.

Guest123
Aug 27, 2001, 12:30 PM
That's using 10.1, where they used 10.0.4, they got 162.8 fps with the dual 533. Makes you wonder what the DP800 will get with 10.1 :) but the point is, Quake 3 is more limited by the video card than anything else....

password is pong
Aug 28, 2001, 02:31 AM
FPS in Quake 3 sounds more like a GPU benchmark rather then a CPU benchmark. Can we get more specific info on the GPUs? or how about a real benchmark?

Kela
Aug 28, 2001, 05:08 AM
Hmmmmm, if macs can get over 200 fps. WHICH FREAK WAS ARGUING WITH ME AND CALLING ME A "ZEALOT" when I SAID THAT MACS CAN PRODUCE OVER 200 FPS on Quake 3?? I forget...

Its clear people. A Dual 800 G4 with Mac OSX 10.1 WILL EAT THE BEST PC TODAY in terms of frame rate. NO PC CAN PRODUCE 250 fps on Quake. NONE!

Deelay
Aug 28, 2001, 05:51 AM
They can,belive me.I have a pc to and i get upp to 350 fps depending on what tweaks i use but 250 is no problem.The cfg that i play with generates around 230 fps but if i take the fov down to 90 and draweapon 0 and fastsky 1 then i have 250 easy not to talk about the s_mixahead 0.7 then its running very fast.

AMD 1400/266 fsb
256/2100 ram
3Dpower geforce2 pro 32m
Asus A7M/266 MB

There is your 250 fps easy :)

But i like my G4 better anyway it feels like a mercedes.

spikey
Aug 28, 2001, 10:23 AM
im gonna tread carefully kela on this subject cos im falling in the ****.
I dont really like mercedes anyway, but the G4 is too kool.
Still playing the catch up game with PCs, but getting these results is good news for macs.
What i want to know is, does that quake 3 take advantage of dual processing? i assume it does.
Because if it does then i would not like to see the fps in a game that aint got dual processing optimization wotsit.

Megaquad
Aug 28, 2001, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Kela
Hmmmmm, if macs can get over 200 fps. WHICH FREAK WAS ARGUING WITH ME AND CALLING ME A "ZEALOT" when I SAID THAT MACS CAN PRODUCE OVER 200 FPS on Quake 3?? I forget...

Its clear people. A Dual 800 G4 with Mac OSX 10.1 WILL EAT THE BEST PC TODAY in terms of frame rate. NO PC CAN PRODUCE 250 fps on Quake. NONE!

You are so stupid kela,g4 will never have bigger framerates then pc

ThlayliTheFierce
Aug 28, 2001, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't say that they never will have better framerates, but I don't doubt that PCs still are getting higher ones. Graphics engines and drivers are optimized for PCs, not Macs, and have been for a long time. Things are starting to go in the right direction. But the developement of games has been much more directed at PCs, so they get better performance. A dual 800 w/Geforce 3 certainly is capable of incredibly high framerates.

Unicron
Aug 28, 2001, 11:21 PM
You know, the whole point of benchmarking is to compare silimar systems. What exactly is the same with these two Macs? Two different versions of Quake. One Mac is overclocked, one is not. Two different amounts of RAM. Not a native Mac GeForce3, but a Mac Flashed PC card. Custom internal HD. One is 2X AGP, the other is 4X. Plus, the Quake levels are not tested under any of the preset detail levels.

Neither of these machines are stock G4's. They are so customized and so different, there's no way to draw any sort of meaningful numbers from the benchmark results.

SomeGuy
Aug 29, 2001, 07:40 AM
Does anyone really care if you get 150 or 250 fps? I mean, can the human eye actually tell the difference between these frame rates?

Kela
Aug 29, 2001, 07:54 AM
Good point SomeGuy. Actually I think it would take certain freaks whose name I prefer not to mention that post very childishly and argue about fps in this forum, to tell the difference. Any game running at 60fps is excellent. 100 is perfect. 250 is superflous.

spikey
Aug 29, 2001, 08:33 AM
the point is ****.

Megaquad
Aug 29, 2001, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by ThlayliTheFierce
I wouldn't say that they never will have better framerates, but I don't doubt that PCs still are getting higher ones. Graphics engines and drivers are optimized for PCs, not Macs, and have been for a long time. Things are starting to go in the right direction. But the developement of games has been much more directed at PCs, so they get better performance. A dual 800 w/Geforce 3 certainly is capable of incredibly high framerates.
maybe g5 will have bigger fps

spikey
Aug 29, 2001, 09:32 AM
Duuuuh nobhead, ofcourse the G5 is going to have bigger framerates..... u think apple will want to make a worse processor than the G4???
****ing hell, u had time to think about what u wrote and edit it.so why didnt u?
From what i have heard of the G5, it will kick ass.
and i also have a feeling it will establish the mac as the better allround platform over PCs.

Deelay
Aug 29, 2001, 10:30 AM
you dont se the difference if you have 100 or 160 fps when you look in to a wall.But when 4 peaople attack you with plasma or rockets,then you will notice the difference because the thing is not to get high fps when you are alone in the game but to make shure it doesnt drop under 120 because if it do you will notice a big difference.Maybe you will not se it but you will FEEL
it and why are people trying to reach high fps well maybe because they are interested in these kind of things i think they call it "a hobby".

ThomasB
Aug 29, 2001, 11:27 AM
...the human eye can only reconize 60fps.

-Bill Nye

password is pong
Aug 29, 2001, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Deelay
Maybe you will not se it but you will FEEL it

How do you FEEL frames per second? I usually just see them.

and why are people trying to reach high fps well maybe because they are interested in these kind of things i think they call it "a hobby".

And the people who call it "a hobby" are loosers. What ever happened to collecting stamps?

Megaquad
Aug 29, 2001, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by spikey
Duuuuh nobhead, ofcourse the G5 is going to have bigger framerates..... u think apple will want to make a worse processor than the G4???
****ing hell, u had time to think about what u wrote and edit it.so why didnt u?
From what i have heard of the G5, it will kick ass.
and i also have a feeling it will establish the mac as the better allround platform over PCs.

spikey,you're so stupid...
you are pissing me off

spikey
Aug 29, 2001, 02:58 PM
if i am so stupid then why am i achieving pissing u off?

and if u r so clever (u obviously think u r) then why havent u noticed it and denied me the enjoyment of seeing u in that state.

[Edited by spikey on 08-29-2001 at 04:38 PM]

spikey
Aug 29, 2001, 03:01 PM
and more to the point. y r u getting pissed off at me because i showed that u r wrong?

u just cant take the fact u r saying stupid things

password is pong
Aug 29, 2001, 06:59 PM
y r u getting pissed off at me because i showed that u r wrong?

u just cant take the fact u r saying stupid things

Spikey,

Do you think you can compose a complete sentense using just letters?

Kela
Aug 30, 2001, 02:14 AM
Megaquad and John123 are the same person. Its funny how the Bitch Megaquad sais something stupid and then the OberBitch John123 (who thinks he is from Harvard) comes in to support him. And Megaquad, have you noticed that Spikey makes sense in his talk and all you do is RANT like a Beeeaatch using "Idiot and Moron". I cannot believe that you have even had any type of education. Infact im starting to believe you dont even own any kind of mac. Only a PC FREAK would say that the AMD and PEntium are better processors than the G4 and upcoming G5.

Kela
Aug 30, 2001, 02:17 AM
And John123, what kind of a pathetic try was that to be funny??

"spikey, my dog is smarter than you, and it's been dead for 5 years now."

Let me put some simple logic for you here. Since YOU are a bitch and that classifies you to be a dog, and you say it has been dead for the past five years, then YOU have been dead for the past 5 years. SO WHO THE "(§$)("!! gave you the right to speak from your grave?

Megaquad
Aug 30, 2001, 04:48 AM
if i am so stupid then why am i achieving pissing u off?

and if u r so clever (u obviously think u r) then why havent u noticed it and denied me the enjoyment of seeing u in that state.

[Edited by spikey on 08-29-2001 at 04:38 PM]
you son of a bitch,when you would be here i would kill you where you stand?
and.. my state? what about my state? yes,tell me you little bird-brain living man

Megaquad
Aug 30, 2001, 04:49 AM
Megaquad and John123 are the same person. Its funny how the Bitch Megaquad sais something stupid and then the OberBitch John123 (who thinks he is from Harvard) comes in to support him. And Megaquad, have you noticed that Spikey makes sense in his talk and all you do is RANT like a Beeeaatch using "Idiot and Moron". I cannot believe that you have even had any type of education. Infact im starting to believe you dont even own any kind of mac. Only a PC FREAK would say that the AMD and PEntium are better processors than the G4 and upcoming G5.
you're theory is wrong

Megaquad
Aug 30, 2001, 04:51 AM
And John123, what kind of a pathetic try was that to be funny??

"spikey, my dog is smarter than you, and it's been dead for 5 years now."

Let me put some simple logic for you here. Since YOU are a bitch and that classifies you to be a dog, and you say it has been dead for the past five years, then YOU have been dead for the past 5 years. SO WHO THE "(§$)("!! gave you the right to speak from your grave?

you,spikey's kissass,you were arguing with spikey yesterday and now you are licking his ass

Kela
Aug 30, 2001, 05:11 AM
Megaquad, dont let your superior "JOhn123" see you in this state. Swearing and shouting around!. Chill man. Secondly, you, like the supposed Harvard grad John123, cannot formulate sentences properly.

"you son of a bitch,when you would be here i would kill you where you stand?"

Ummmm like...what is this statement supposed to say? Are you asking something? Learn English and then post.

- Kela

Megaquad
Aug 30, 2001, 05:34 AM
Megaquad, dont let your superior "JOhn123" see you in this state. Swearing and shouting around!. Chill man. Secondly, you, like the supposed Harvard grad John123, cannot formulate sentences properly.

"you son of a bitch,when you would be here i would kill you where you stand?"

Ummmm like...what is this statement supposed to say? Are you asking something? Learn English and then post.

- Kela

yeah,Kela Sentence Analyzer 2.0

GPTurismo
Aug 30, 2001, 08:30 AM
Quake 3 is a terrible way to test processors because it isn't very stranious on the processor. Thats why they use quake 3 to test graphics cards so much in the PC Gaming world.

Usea high end graphics program, or something besides a graphic entisive game.

ThomasB
Aug 30, 2001, 11:34 AM
This thread is about Quake 3 on a Dual 800, not you guys bithching all the time. Or you could start a new thread and call it Bitchin'.

-Thanks

spikey
Aug 30, 2001, 12:28 PM
**** off john.
u r a nobhead that talks ****, whether it makes grammatical sense or not.

Megaquad
Aug 30, 2001, 02:24 PM
Can you please come down?

Kela
Aug 31, 2001, 01:57 AM
Megaqaud: what do you mean where should I come?

Megaquad
Aug 31, 2001, 04:30 AM
dear kela,i wanna tell you to relax...

Kela
Aug 31, 2001, 05:05 AM
Megaquad. I have nothing against you at all. Im sorry if I acted like a jerk. Its just that people like JOhn123 really are superfluous.

- Kela Loves Everyone

spikey
Aug 31, 2001, 10:56 AM
dunno about john being superflous, i just call him a twat.

ThlayliTheFierce
Aug 31, 2001, 11:53 AM
su·per·flu·ous (s-pûrfl-s)
adj.
Being beyond what is required or sufficient.

Synonyms: superfluous, excess, extra, spare, supernumerary, surplus

I think Kela is saying that you're not needed.

Kela
Sep 1, 2001, 08:11 AM
So let me get this straight bitch....I use the word Superflous and you assume that I dont know what it means? Yet, I want to say that you are unnecesary, useless, an extra and can be done without. So no riot and yes...I still stick to the Harvard Club thing.

YOU ARE SUPERFLOUS (exactly the way ThalyTheFierce posted it). If I wanted to call you superficial, I would say "superficial". lol!!!

spikey
Sep 1, 2001, 08:27 AM
hahaha john is wrong again.

Kela
Sep 2, 2001, 01:52 AM
LOL!! how cute John123. Wonder what kinda 3rd rate job you have INSPITE graduating from Harvard and being a member of the Harvard Club. You seem to have so much time to come back and post on these forums. hahahah!

p.s how does it feel to be corrected?
:-)

Kela
Sep 2, 2001, 12:13 PM
" Anyways, it's summer...I have all the time in the world. You see, those of us who are very successful can get away with not working all year round and still making a six figure salary"
- originally posted by John123

LOL!! so you are a librarian since libraries of ivy league colleges are open for fewer hours per day during summer! And yes im sure you make a 6 figure salary.

1,213.65 $ anually?? LOL!!!

you are not an intelligent person John123

ThlayliTheFierce
Sep 2, 2001, 02:48 PM
Not saying that you are John but you could be lying out your ass right now and we'd have no way of knowing. For all we know you could be flipping burgers in Spokane.

spikey
Sep 2, 2001, 03:16 PM
Apart from "ass" this thread lacks swearing.

i would help you all out but i have to save up my swears to attack some dumbass prude on another thread.

Wherever you go for education it is still possible to talk ****.

john123
Sep 2, 2001, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by ThlayliTheFierce
Not saying that you are John but you could be lying out your ass right now and we'd have no way of knowing. For all we know you could be flipping burgers in Spokane.

Well, fair enough.

But read over some of my postings. My writing is a little too good for me to be some high school dropout who's flipping burgers. Moreover, there is an internal logic to my argumentation that only comes from years of education of the highest caliber.

snowman
Sep 3, 2001, 06:11 AM
Hello all you civilized and peacefull creatures,
About PC's always getting more frames than macs. That's not at all true in all games. Try something Java based. The PC implementation of Java is dead horse slow. I wrote a Java Application and compared between a 533 Mhz PeeCee and an imac rev.b, and the imac was about 50% faster. Still though there are not plenty of Java applications out there, but with OS X and it's Java 2 implementation and hardware acc. the number can only grow.

spikey
Sep 3, 2001, 09:26 AM
How many good games are written in javascript?

anyway i feel a bit scared to get out of my bed right now.

AndreHAL
Sep 3, 2001, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by john123
A person cannot be "superfluous." Even assuming you intended to imply that I am extra or not needed, *PEOPLE CANNOT BE SUPERFLUOUS!*

Fools. Get some edukashun.

According to the oxford dictionary a person can be superfluous, quote: I soon realized that I was superfluous, and left. You are indeed full of it.

john123
Sep 3, 2001, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by AndreHAL
A person cannot be "superfluous." Even assuming you intended to imply that I am extra or not needed, *PEOPLE CANNOT BE SUPERFLUOUS!*

Fools. Get some edukashun.

According to the oxford dictionary a person can be superfluous, quote: I soon realized that I was superfluous, and left. You are indeed full of it.

Amusing that you would make that sentence up. Sad even. But anyway......

adj.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English, from Old French superflueux, from Latin superfluus, from superfluere, to overflow *: super-, super- + fluere, to flow; see bhleu- in Indo-European Roots.]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
su·perflu·ous·ly adv.
su·perflu·ous·ness n.

Synonyms: superfluous, excess, extra, spare, supernumerary, surplus
These adjectives mean being more than is needed, desired, required, or appropriate: delete superfluous words; trying to lose excess weight; found some extra change on the dresser; sleeping in the spare room; supernumerary ornamentation; distributed surplus food to the needy.

superfluous \soo-PER-floo-us\, adjective:
more than is wanted or is sufficient; rendered unnecessary by superabundance; unnecessary; useless; excessive
-- SUPERFLUOUSLY, adverb
-- SUPERFLUOUSNESS, noun

``And it's hard to realize economies of scale without shedding superfluous jobs. ''
--``The Health of Valley Hospitals: Merger of Holy Cross, Providence Made Sense but Still Caused Pain,'' Los Angeles Times, July 27, 1999

``Power Grubs make a dead skunk smell like a rose by comparison. The `Not for human consumption' warning is superfluous.''
--``Smelly grub a smash,'' Toronto Star, May 1, 1999

``[E]verything superfluous is more noticeable in him [Hemmingway] than in other writers.''
--Gabriel Garcia Marquez, ``Gabriel Garcia Marquez Meets Ernest Hemingway,'' New York Times, July 26, 1981

``An authority which makes all further argument or illustration superfluous.''
--E. Everett

Superfluous comes ultimately from the Latin superfluus, from superfluo, superfluere, to overflow, from super-, over, above + fluo, fluere, to flow.

password is pong
Sep 3, 2001, 10:39 PM
350fps? Hmm funny my frend has a custom built AMD w/a GTS (AMD 1.0GHz) and he doesn't come near 350. Granted you system is better but DDR accounts for an extra 20% in performance, 400 Mhz is say 30%, and the other stuff is 25%, now I don't remember exact numbers, but they weren't close to 170 or anything. Don't lemme hear **** about his config, it was brand new (thus no extras or fragmentation).

Where can I get a Mac flash for a PC card (i'm shure it's obvious, but I'm lazy)

snowman
Sep 4, 2001, 03:16 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by spikey
[B]How many good games are written in javascript?

None, but I wasn't talking about Javascript, I said Java. So how many really good games are written in Java? None. But they will come. Javascript and Java is two totally different things, it's like comparing a Mercedes and a bucket of milk.

AndreHAL
Sep 4, 2001, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by AndreHAL

According to the oxford dictionary a person can be superfluous, quote: I soon realized that I was superfluous, and left.

Amusing that you would make that sentence up. Sad even. But anyway......

adj.

[Middle English, from Old French superflueux, from Latin superfluus, from superfluere, to overflow *: super-, super- + fluere, to flow; see bhleu- in Indo-European Roots.]

superfluous \soo-PER-floo-us\, adjective:
more than is wanted or is sufficient; rendered unnecessary by superabundance; unnecessary; useless; excessive
-- SUPERFLUOUSLY, adverb
-- SUPERFLUOUSNESS, noun

Superfluous comes ultimately from the Latin superfluus, from superfluo, superfluere, to overflow, from super-, over, above + fluo, fluere, to flow.

That's superfluous, really!
If thou bothered to get thy facts straight, thou would see thy wrongness.
(correct me if my grammar's wrong but don't bash me with ********, English is my second language).
I took the sentence you wrongly accused me of making up, straight out of the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary(Fifth edition, Oxford University Press)

In norwegian word for superfluous is "overfødig" (over = over, and flødig comes from flod = flood which is easily linked to flow, it also comes from latin)
The reason I brought this up is that, we sometimes use it about people being abundant (when wanting to be harsh).Du(you) er(are) overflødig(superfluous), is an example.

If thou call me a liar again, I hope no one will ever reply thee again.

Kela
Sep 4, 2001, 08:32 AM
AndreHAL, you see? THIS IS THE KIND OF **** I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH WHEN I TRY TO TELL SOMETHING TO JOHN123. The guy just cant admit that he is wrong and slightly dumb. I called him superflous because I wanted to imply that he was UNNECCESSARY. He thought I couldnt speak english and said that I was trying to say "superficial". LOL!!! But then when he realized that he was wrong he took on a different argument by saying that PEOPLE cannot BE SUPERFLOUS. What kind of a dumbass argument is that??????

john123
Sep 4, 2001, 08:58 AM
AndreHAL, you see? THIS IS THE KIND OF **** I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH WHEN I TRY TO TELL SOMETHING TO JOHN123. The guy just cant admit that he is wrong and slightly dumb. I called him superflous because I wanted to imply that he was UNNECCESSARY. He thought I couldnt speak english and said that I was trying to say "superficial". LOL!!! But then when he realized that he was wrong he took on a different argument by saying that PEOPLE cannot BE SUPERFLOUS. What kind of a dumbass argument is that??????

It's not a dumbass argument -- it's called language, and you're botching it. I may well have been wrong regarding your "intention" in using the word superfluous, but your very use of the word is entirely incorrect. I'm sorry that you still can't quite grasp this...

AndreHAL
Sep 4, 2001, 09:02 AM
I think you people should leave JOHN123 alone if he can't be constructive.
I wasn't trying to thrash anyone, just get this **** straight. Since JOHN123 was wrong, he got the reply.

My real interest here's the mac, though I admit being carried away.

Kela
Sep 4, 2001, 11:58 AM
Ok I will leave John123 alone. But you see the guy cant admit that he is wrong.