PDA

View Full Version : Taking Apart a g3 imac

ktbubster
Jun 26, 2007, 04:38 AM
Ok...

So... I sorta have a project in mind I'd like to attempt, but I'd actually like to know if you think it is possible. I have plenty of computer engineers and computer savy folk around here to help me with it, but i'd like to know if it seems possible before i decide to start.

I have an old g3 imac... that worked until the harddrive was taken out that is... haha. I got it from some old school equipment the were getting rid of. The harddrive and ram were taken out before it came into my posession.

Anyway what I would love to do... is basically use the casing and the screen , but swap out the processor to ATLEAST a g4 as well as put in a superdrive, more ram and a bigger harddrive...

Really i'd like to put new components into a g3 imac casing. It would be really great if I could get g5 parts in there but I know that's a long shot especially keeping cost low (idealy would be intel parts, btu as they are newer I know i won't be finding a good deal on any scrap pieces from those lol)

Basically I'd love to have the look of the original g3 imac but with AT LEAST the power of a g4 as well as the harddrive and disk drive and basically the ability to run leopard when it comes out.

Why do I want to do this? Well.. it's not really for any practical reasons... It seems like it would be fun, and I love the look of the original imacs. I already have a macbook pro.. so this isn't really for any sort of daily use, just would be nifty and fun to have a machine just for media and running things the casing says it shouldn't be able to.

I am just wondering as far as changing all the parts out.. (those that are left anyway) i know may need some reworking in the inside, would i still be able to connect back to the original display and all that? Could I get some of the current parts to sync with a g4 processor of a decent speed (i'd like one of the later processors over 1ghz) as well as ram etc?

Any help or suggestions would be great. Just please don't tell me it's a pointless idea. Constructive help please. I like what i like :)

R.Youden
Jun 26, 2007, 04:43 AM
I am looking at putting a mac mini inside an old iMac G3. I think the hardest thing is getting a new LCD into the case. The CRt has a curved surface so you will end up with gaps around the edge which can be filled in with some putty or similar.

ktbubster
Jun 26, 2007, 04:49 AM
is there any reason why I couldn't connect everything back to the original CRT that is already in there. It was working fine to my knowledge or would I have to put in a new LCD?

I'd prefer to stick with the CRT in there if possible (I don't mind the old outdated screen for this project) sorry if I was unclear.

The power of a mac mini in an old imac would be great :) Perhaps I should look into that .. and wait a bit till I can find a good deal on one.

R.Youden
Jun 26, 2007, 04:52 AM
is there any reason why I couldn't connect everything back to the original CRT that is already in there. It was working fine to my knowledge or would I have to put in a new LCD?

I'd prefer to stick with the CRT in there if possible (I don't mind the old outdated screen for this project) sorry if I was unclear.

It is a while since I checked it out but I think that the CRT connection onto the logic board of the imac G3 is not a standard connection. You maybe able to convert to VGA or DVI but you will need to make your own convertor which is a pain and very difficult. There are a few mod sites which show how to install a LCD display.

shu82
Jun 26, 2007, 01:11 PM
No, the tray load imacs had the old apple display connection, the new ones have vga going to the board. It is a very common adapter to mac folks. This guy just ran the cable out, and hooked up his mini:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=301856&highlight=fastest+imac+g3